Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,242 members, 7,953,913 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:49 AM

Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. (22354 Views)

Okagbare Wins Gold In Shanghai / Ese Brume Wins Gold In Women's Long Jump For Nigeria / Usain Bolt Wins Gold In Men's 100m At 2012 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by HandOfChukwu: 6:04am On Jul 26, 2014
Of course we Igbo are the best, many African-Americans and Jamaicans are also Igbo, das why they are such great athletes. If we had the same funding America has we would dominate every sport competition.
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by Escalze(m): 8:35am On Jul 26, 2014
She is my lodgemate in school MOUAU.....her muscles no be here ooo...so happy for her but in the mean time, I have to start planning on becoming her new boyfriend for my own share
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 26, 2014
Sorry no pics but when i was clicking here i know it must be a Biafrette.

freecharles:

attach a picture, pls undecided
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by pazienza(m): 9:04am On Jul 26, 2014
HandOfChukwu: Of course we Igbo are the best, many African-Americans and Jamaicans are also Igbo, das why they are such great athletes. If we had the same funding America has we would dominate every sport competition.

Jamaicans are mainly Ghanaians, African America has most African groups genes represented.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by BlackKenichi(m): 12:48pm On Jul 26, 2014
HandOfChukwu: Of course we Igbo are the best, many African-Americans and Jamaicans are also Igbo, das why they are such great athletes. If we had the same funding America has we would dominate every sport competition.
pazienza:

Jamaicans are mainly Ghanaians, African America has most African groups genes represented.
Wrong! We (us Jamaicans) are mainly a mix of Ghanaian, Southern Nigerian, Congolese and Angolan!
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by ChrisOD: 2:07pm On Jul 26, 2014
kobonaire: well she's registered in the commonwealth as a Nigerian .... not as a "Igbo national".
All the same she has repped Nigeria and her Igbo community very well. #NaijaPride.

So when Nigerians commit crime abroad, do they do so as Igbo, Yoruba, Edo, as Nigerians or as individuals?
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by pazienza(m): 4:48pm On Jul 26, 2014
BlackKenichi:
Wrong! We (us Jamaicans) are mainly a mix of Ghanaian, Southern Nigerian, Congolese and Angolan!

I said mainly. I once watched a documentary on slavery on history channel,and they seem to be be saying that majority of the slaves brought to Jamaica were taken off the coast of Gold coast( Ghana).
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by BlackKenichi(m): 4:54pm On Jul 26, 2014
pazienza:

I said mainly. I once watched a documentary on slavery on history channel,and they seem to be be saying that majority of the slaves brought to Jamaica were taken off the coast of Gold coast( Ghana).
Actually the majority of the slaves that were sent to Jamaica were from South Eastern Nigeria not Ghana. I don't know where the whole "Jamaicans are mainly Ghanaians" theme comes from?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by homesteady(m): 6:04pm On Jul 26, 2014
I watched the highlight on NTA! She defeated a 30year old woman shocked shocked shocked and she also won the junior category in one international competition like that!
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by Litmus: 7:31pm On Jul 26, 2014
BlackKenichi:
Actually the majority of the slaves that were sent to Jamaica were from South Eastern Nigeria not Ghana. I don't know where the whole "Jamaicans are mainly Ghanaians" theme comes from?

When Ghana achieved independence first, that whole 'looking for something to be proud of' made Caribbeans latch on. Suddenly everyone's ancestors game from Ghana. Many in the Caribbean and wider diaspora wanted to associate with that. In addition, there was the Nkrumah factor and those Dobois literature.

It's a little like how all Caribbean people suddenly all became descendants of the Ashanti. They liked the Ashanti worrier spirit fame and also they thought that the Ashanti were fair-skinned.
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by Litmus: 7:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
BlackKenichi:

When Ghana achieved independence first, that whole 'looking for something to be proud of' made Caribbeans latch on. Suddenly everyone's ancestors game from Ghana. Many in the Caribbean and wider diaspora wanted to associate with that. In addition, there was the Nkrumah factor and those Dobois literature.

It's a little like how all Caribbean people suddenly all became descendants of the Ashanti. They liked the Ashanti worrier spirit fame and also they thought that the Ashanti were fair-skinned.

In any case many were taken to Jamaica from Ghana however the majority came from what is now Nigeria, specifically the delta region and the East of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by bambostic: 8:13pm On Jul 26, 2014
Litmus:

In any case many were taken to Jamaica from Ghana however the majority came from what is now Nigeria, specifically the delta region and the East of Nigeria.

I've done extensive research on this for a film I made called Making of Champions: "The History" on reviving Naija Athletics, where I sought to show exactly where the Jamaicans all came from - about 33% of the 1 million slaves that were taken to Jamaica came from slave ports situated in present day Nigeria, while 29% of them came from present day Ghana. So it is very close as to which country dominates, with the Igbos and Akans being the largest group that were taken to Jamaica. Here's an ethnic breakdown by the port from which the slave were taken:

Bight of Biafra (32%) - about two-thirds of them were Igbo, then Efik, with some Tikari, Banyangi from the Cameroon grasslands.
Gold Coast (Ghana) (29%) - predominantly Akan, but some Ewe too
West-Central Africa (17%) - Congo peoples with wide variety of origins
Bight of Benin (Togo, Benin and Lagos in Nigeria) (˜10%) - would have been mainly Ewe, Hausa, Fon, Mahi.
West and North of the Gold Coast (˜10%) - was quite a mix with no group dominant

In all less than 4% of the slaves taken to Jamaica were Yoruba. Something to do with the fact that the late influx of Yorubas to Jamaica did not happen until the Oyo empire fell in the late 19th century, and the British slave trade to Jamaica was nearly over by then!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by Ashantiking: 9:09pm On Jul 26, 2014
bambostic:

I've done extensive research on this for a film I made called Making of Champions: "The History" on reviving Naija Athletics, where I sought to show exactly where the Jamaicans all came from - about 33% of the 1 million slaves that were taken to Jamaica came from slave ports situated in present day Nigeria, while 29% of them came from present day Ghana. So it is very close as to which country dominates, with the Igbos and Akans being the largest group that were taken to Jamaica. Here's an ethnic breakdown by the port from which the slave were taken:

Bight of Biafra (32%) - about two-thirds of them were Igbo, then Efik, with some Tikari, Banyangi from the Cameroon grasslands.
Gold Coast (Ghana) (29%) - predominantly Akan, but some Ewe too
West-Central Africa (17%) - Congo peoples with wide variety of origins
Bight of Benin (Togo, Benin and Lagos in Nigeria) (˜10%) - would have been mainly Ewe, Hausa, Fon, Mahi.
West and North of the Gold Coast (˜10%) - was quite a mix with no group dominant

In all less than 4% of the slaves taken to Jamaica were Yoruba. Something to do with the fact that the late influx of Yorubas to Jamaica did not happen until the Oyo empire fell in the late 19th century, and the British slave trade to Jamaica was nearly over by then!

I heard they usually paired Akans and igbos together and they never allowed people of the same tribe to mate. They said the Akans were rebellious while igbos committed suicide or ran away.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by nonjebose(m): 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2014
ichidodo: I disagree,by stating the obvious we encourage our kin in various endeavours and in a greater extent highlight our prowess where other Nigerian groups might be keen to hide or diminish or not acknowledged and so bring us down to where our positives are played down and our negatives emblazooned.....We have seen it occur so many times and so we must set things right...
I think you should take a deep breath,and abandon your divisive views
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by BlackKenichi(m): 8:46pm On Jul 30, 2014
My god Nigerian women are physical strong
Look at the amount of medals they've won in Weightlifting at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

http://results.glasgow2014.com/medalists.html
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by pickabeau1: 5:55pm On Jul 31, 2014
who is watching the naija lady in wrestlin

oborodudu

that chick is strong mehnnnnnn

even the camerounianian chick

metala ebanga,,,, damn,... but she is prettier than d oborodudu
Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by fluteman: 6:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
cool cool
ichidodo: Great,looking for
others to also pull their west
weight,we can't always be
bailing Nigeria,you know.
Incorrigible chest beater....check the medals table again . The -always in front- West is bailing Nigeria. so watch gonna say bout dat!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wins Gold On Commonwealth Games. by Mogenerous(f): 7:59am On Aug 05, 2014
IfyAwazie: [quote author=Pls can someone tell me if theres a thread where one can vent on nairaland because right now im so angry with multichoice/Dstv. I paid three month suscription for my walka just last month and they scramble it this evening. To call their customer service i have to waste my airtime because they wont even answer ontime and when dey do, na big grammer dey will speaking. Mtchewwww. I won say e no go better for dem but i wont.
pls how did you activate your walka? Since i got it haven't been able to use it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kelechi Iheanacho Signs 2-year Extension Deal With Man City / Chelsea Offers Alvaro Morata Plus €55m For Gonzalo Higuain and Daniele Rugani / Poor Officiating From Referee Folusho Ajayi Ruins Opening Match Of NPFL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.