Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,041 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) (6010 Views)

8 Basic Errors Muslims Make When Paying Zakat Al-fitr / The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr / Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by eluquenson(m): 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2014
Beside increasing our ibadah during this last 10 days of Ramadan, we should also be concerned about Zakaat Al-Fitr (The Personal Obligatory Charity). What is the rules and how should it be paid?

The Ramadaan is almost end. It is the time for us to pay Zakaat-Al Fitr for every single muslim.
What are the criteria regarding paying this Zakaat Al-Fitr:
Let's discuss here so that our fellow muslim brothers & sisters will benefit.
May accept it as an act of ibadah.Amin

last Year: https://www.nairaland.com/1377095/zakaat-al-fitr-personal-obligatory-charity

5 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by BrAkingNews: 4:08pm On Jul 26, 2014
ok

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by NaLaugh: 4:11pm On Jul 26, 2014
currently accepting charity payments of all types in my bank account. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by hensben(m): 4:13pm On Jul 26, 2014
It sucks to be two space bookers above me
Well, me too have nothing to comment

2 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Leibnitz: 4:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
K
Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Leibnitz: 4:15pm On Jul 26, 2014
shocked

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by shadowwalker101: 4:17pm On Jul 26, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Ok good

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by ibdeals1(m): 4:17pm On Jul 26, 2014

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Emmafrancis: 4:19pm On Jul 26, 2014
wishing my muslim friends the best during this special season. God bless

7 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by kobonaire(m): 4:19pm On Jul 26, 2014
I say Zakâat Al-Fitr a huge collection that can then be used to exterminate the parasites in Sambisa...
Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by abrajways: 4:20pm On Jul 26, 2014
paid mine in lagos state university yesterday....
Alhamdulilah... the calculated amount was 300 naira each...

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by HARDUBUY(m): 4:20pm On Jul 26, 2014
...About paying mine!

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by mu2sa2: 4:21pm On Jul 26, 2014
Many people in Nigeria use corn for zakatul fitr. This is perfectly okay according to the ulama. But we all know that our people eat rice on eid day. I will rather we use rice for zakatul fitr , for those who can afford it. Maasalam.

6 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by carbony4red(m): 4:21pm On Jul 26, 2014
I av no knowledge of this Zakatil-fitri but I will be so glad if we can get a Muslim brother to enlighten us(me personally) on d way it is 2b performed 2get d expected reward 4rm Allah(SWT)..
Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by numericalguy(m): 4:22pm On Jul 26, 2014
Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity). One of the many beauties of Islam smiley

May Allah (SWT) accept our acts of Ibadah, ameen

6 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by tuffgongjo(m): 4:24pm On Jul 26, 2014
Abeg wetin be Ibadah?

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by xage(m): 4:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
My wife just bought that rubber paint measure of rice for ours..mashaallah

Tonight we give it out to the poor with fish and Maggie

May Allah accept our ibadah...

Eeidiel Mubarak

7 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Simplefaithy(m): 4:40pm On Jul 26, 2014
abrajways: paid mine in lagos state university yesterday....
. U av to be precise, 300 naira for which food stuff? Am pretty sure d prices ranges from rice to beans to garri to millet.etc

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by eusuph99: 4:40pm On Jul 26, 2014
ma sha Allah

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by numericalguy(m): 4:42pm On Jul 26, 2014
tuffgongjo: Abeg wetin be Ibadah?

Ibadah in Islam means worship or to worship Allah (SWT) alone.

3 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Simplefaithy(m): 4:44pm On Jul 26, 2014
mu2sa2: Many people in Nigeria use corn for zakatul fitr. This is perfectly okay according to the ulama. But we all know that our people eat rice on eid day. I will rather we use rice for zakatul fitr , for those who can afford it. Maasalam.
. We can as well calculate d monetary value of dat corn nd use it to buy d quantity of rice it can buy nd give it out. Or even use it to buy bread nd egg for the people we intend to give
Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by VocalWalls: 4:53pm On Jul 26, 2014
This is cool

Make peace with your neighbors

Peace is a great offering.

Forgiveness also.

2 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by sinceden2: 4:54pm On Jul 26, 2014
Some recommended points to note in giving Zakatul Fitr:
-You have to give Zakat on all your dependant.e.g wife,children,parents,wards.
-Zakat should be given to the needy, prefarably your close neighbours
-You give Zakat with absolute intention to earn the mercy to Allah.
-You can give staple food such as rice,corn,millet,dabino or money according to the kind of staple food mostly consumed in ur locality.
-There is a cup for the measurement of Zakat. The big cup is equivalent to 4 handful measurement of a mature person. Pls note the two hand put together.
-Be in haste to offer your Zakat before the eid prayer because some people may need it to celebrate the eid.
-You may also wish to give cash equivalent of the measurement mention above.

Please Brother who are more grounded in this area u may with to make any correction or add to the few points highlighted

Allahu aalam

12 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 26, 2014
ibdeals1: ...
why una no wan gree get sense naw??
Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by atymat: 5:16pm On Jul 26, 2014
xage: My wife just bought that rubber paint measure of rice for ours..mashaallah

Tonight we give it out to the poor with fish and Maggie

May Allah accept our ibadah...

Eeidiel Mubarak
kudus for that but why not try it in form of cash so the poor can buy whatever they want, if you give rice and they dont have money for stew and even kerosine nko. Pls try money or both so it will be a complete help.
Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Keemie(f): 5:16pm On Jul 26, 2014
carbony4red: I av no knowledge of this Zakatil-fitri but I will be so glad if we can get a Muslim brother to enlighten us(me personally) on d way it is 2b performed 2get d expected reward 4rm Allah(SWT)..

Zakat Al-Fitr
By Dr. Bilal Philips
Meaning
Zakah al-Fitr is often referred to as Sadaqah al-
Fitr. The word Fitr means the same as Iftar,
breaking a fast and it comes from the same root
word as Futur which means breakfast. Thus,
Islamically, Zakah al-Fitr is the name given to
charity which is distributed at the end of the fast
of Ramadan.
Classification
Sadaqah al-Fitr is a duty which is Wajib on every
Muslim, whether male or female, minor or adult
as long as he/she has the means to do so. The
proof that this form of charity is compulsory can
be found in the Sunnah whereby Ibn `Umar
reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him)
made Zakah al-Fitr compulsory on every slave,
freeman, male, female, young and old among the
Muslims; one Sa` of dried dates or one Sa` of
barley. [1] The head of the household may pay the
required amount for the other members. Abu Sa'id
al-Khudri said, "On behalf of our young and old,
free men and slaves, we used to take out during
Allah's Messenger's (peace be upon him) lifetime
one Sa` of grain, cheese or raisins". [2]
Significance
The significant role played by Zakah in the
circulation of wealth within the Islamic society is
also played by the Sadaqah al-Fitr. However, in
the case of Sadaqah al-Fitr, each individual is
required to calculate how much charity is due
from himself and his dependents and go into the
community in order to find those who deserve
such charity. Thus, Sadaqah al-Fitr plays a very
important role in the development of the bonds of
community. The rich are obliged to come in direct
contact with the poor, and the poor are put in
contact with the extremely poor. This contact
between the various levels of society helps to
build real bonds of brotherhood and love within
the Islamic community and trains those who
have, to be generous to those who do not have.
Purpose
The main purpose of Zakah al-Fitr is to provide
those who fasted with the means of making up
for their errors during the month of fasting. Zakah
al-Fitr also provides the poor with a means with
which they can celebrate the festival of breaking
the fast (`Eid al-Fitr) along with the rest of the
Muslims. Ibn Abbas reported, "The Prophet
(peace be upon him) made Zakah al-Fitr
compulsory so that those who fasted may be
purified of their idle deeds and shameful talk
(committed during Ramadan) and so that the
poor may be fed. Whoever gives it before Salah
will have it accepted as Zakah, while he who
gives it after the Salah has given Sadaqah." [3]
Hence, the goal of Sadaqah al-Fitr is the spiritual
development of the Believers. By making them
give up some of their wealth, the believers are
taught the higher moral characteristics of
generosity, compassion (sympathy for the
unfortunate), gratitude to God and the
righteousness. But, since Islam does not neglect
man's material need, part of the goal of Zakah
al-Fitr is the economic well-being of the poorer
members of society.
Conditions
Zakah al-Fitr is only Wajib for a particular period
of time. If one misses the time period without a
good reason, he has sinned and can not make it
up. This form of charity becomes obligatory from
sunset on the last day of fasting and remains
obligatory until the beginning of Salah
al-'Eid' (i.e. shortly after sunrise on the following
day). However, it can be paid prior to the above
mentioned period, as many of the Sahabah
[companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him)]
used to pay Sadaqah al-Fitr a couple days before
the `Eid. Nafi reported that the Prophet's
companion Ibn `Umar used to give it to those
who would accept it and the people used to give
it a day or two before the `Eid.[4] Ibn `Umar
reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him)
order that it (Zakah al-Fitr) be given before
people go to make the Salah (al-'Eid). And Ibn
`Abbas reported that the Prophet (peace be upon
him) said, "Whoever gives it before the Salah will
have it accepted as Zakah, while he who gives it
after the Salah (will not, for it will only be
considered as) ordinary charity. Therefore, one
who forgets to pay this Zakah al-Fitr on time
should do so as soon as possible even though it
will not be counted as Zakah al-Fitr.
Rate
The amount of Zakah is the same for everyone
regardless of their different income brackets. The
minimum amount is one Sa` (two handfuls) of
food, grain or dried fruit for each member of the
family. This calculation is based on Ibn `Umar's
report that the Prophet (peace be upon him)
made Zakah al-Fitr compulsory and payable by a
Sa` of dried dates or a Sa` of barley. The Sahabi,
Abu Sa`id al-Khudri said, "In the Prophet's time,
we used to give it (Zakah al-Fitr) as a Sa` of
food, dried dates, barley, raisins or dried cheese".

8 Likes

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Abojupupa: 5:33pm On Jul 26, 2014
The monetry value is calculated at 600 naira per head in my mosque. Some ulammas however say food items are prferred to money. If you have the means, you can offer food items and put some money in addition. Wallahu aalam.
Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Dynamo1(m): 5:37pm On Jul 26, 2014
Thanks for all your contribution. Someone should please help us clarify. Is it TWO or FOUR handfuls?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jul 26, 2014
abrajways: paid mine in lagos state university yesterday....
is cash payment allowed?
Re: Zakaat Al-fitr (the Personal Obligatory Charity) by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 26, 2014
atymat: kudus for that but why not try it in form of cash so the poor can buy whatever they want, if you give rice and they dont have money for stew and even kerosine nko. Pls try money or both so it will be a complete help.
some Ulamas advocate both; give the food stuff and add a small amount of money to enable the person process it to something edible.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sultan Of Sokoto Deceived Us / Happy New Islamic Year / Some Acts That Make A Muslim Forbidden To Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.