Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

What Happened To The Nigerian Army . - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Happened To The Nigerian Army . (18798 Views)

Nigerian Army Demotes Enitan Ransome-Kuti, Late Fela’s Nephew / We Have Clues On Boko Haram Sponsors - Nigerian Army / Nigerian Army Releases Academic Records Of Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by kettykin: 8:29am On Jul 27, 2014
sarutobie:
Yea the same man who confessed with his own mouth that he minded his own business while boko haram minded theirs, hence why they didn't give him much headache during his tenure.the senile man looked the other way while bokoharam was building up base across the country. Yet he still has the guts! The guts to say it in our faces.and worse? People still revere him! And then blame the man who is currently saddled with trying to defeat these killers.how unreasonable can the people of this country be??

Obasanjo is like that , a double mouthed coward who often boasts about some unproven civil war heroism but chickens out like a chicken farmer before a major Al mustapha

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by poiZon: 8:35am On Jul 27, 2014
GenBuhari: Precisely !
All the news of the money being returned form part of the propaganda.

Keep asking yourself why a looter would refuse IMF loans

Do you know that the money returned were never proven in any court to belong to Abacha?

bros leave ABACHA ur mentor abi ROLE MODEL out of this issue. lemme tell u what u dont knw, any country that partakes in peace keeping in another country, its either AU or UN that takes care of the soldiers involved. and they are paid in dolls i heard between 50 n 100 dolls everyday plus other benefits in additional to your salary in your country so they will alwayys be well behaved so they can come back n flex their money. unlike what we r facing with the boko unslaught, the soldiers aint out of the country so they are doing their civic n basic duties which they were sworn to do which is PROTECT THE BORDERS OF THE COUNTRY FROM EXTERNAL FORCES n maintain peace and order in the country. to me what they are clamourng for is rubbish cos it is what they swore to do. abi the police men that fights crimes do they need additional motivation interms of CRIME FIGHTING ALLOWANCE?

5 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by fairheven: 8:35am On Jul 27, 2014
ojeffo: ALL THE EXAMPLES U MENTIONED ARE WAR SITUATION...THIS IS A CASE OF TERRORISTS THAT OPERATE A KIND OF GUERILLA WARFARE...IF U ENGAGE THEM LIKE U SAID, THE COLLATERAL DAMAGE WILL BE ENOUGH TO SEND OUR PRESIDENT TO THE HAGUE.
THAT SAID, I WONT FAIL TO MENTION CORRUPTION TOO. COS THE WEAPON THEY USED IN FIGHTING THE LIBERIAN CIVIL WAR SINCE GOD KNOWS WHEN IS WHAT THEY ARE STILL USING. NO SINGLE UPGRADE IN MILITARY HARDWARE... THEIR ARMOURY IS SOO OBSOLETE AND CRYING FOR UPGRADE. THEY ARE KIND OF USING MARTIAL ARTS TO COMBAT AN ENEMY WHO USING A 21ST CENTURY MILITARY GRADE AMMUNITIONS..THATS WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR MILITARY ..THANK U ..IM OUTTA HERE
Both the army and the president had repeatedly said that we are not just fighting terrorists but we are fighting war,so yr argument is not tenable.either way u are fighting an enemy,if u don't destroy him ,he will destroy u.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by poiZon: 8:45am On Jul 27, 2014
fydence: if you werent just plain ignorant why wont you know or at least find out if there was a curfew in kaduna in this internet era? And what were you expecting soldiers to do when they see some people that 'arrived in the NIGHT' for a 'project'... U are lucky u werent shot.. Soldiers did very well.. Nor use ur grudge take judge them!
P.S: Its Curfew not Coffee! Abi make I add milk for you?

if people like dat guy u quoted will used COFFEE instead of CURFEW then it means the project they went for should be thoroughly investigated. coffee ni tea or

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by fairheven: 8:49am On Jul 27, 2014
At the level of ecomoc,those guys were well taken care of,just imargine the trillions of naira that are been budgetet for defence evry year,and our millitary men are crying Of wellfare;if u can't guarantee wt happens to ur family when u die defending ur country ,why risk ur life?worst still,JONA can not query the army on how the money is spent,because:
1.He is as corrupt himsef.
2.he is afraid of coup de ta

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by Odika1: 8:50am On Jul 27, 2014
True talk.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by logica(m): 8:51am On Jul 27, 2014
The Nigerian Army lost their discipline in July of 1966 (often referred to as the "counter coup") and has since not recovered. Once you have a situation where superior's orders are being shunned and superiors running for their lives from their subordinates, then you no longer have an army.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 27, 2014
Under Abacha Nigeria achieved its military objectives in Sierra leone and Liberia, it was only after Thief Obasanjo took over that things started going wrong.
4Play: The way Nigerians talk about Liberia and Sierra Leone, you will think they achieved their military objectives.

They were far from successful - in Liberia, Charles Taylor still ascended to power as people were so terrorised by his group they felt they had to vote him in. In Sierra Leone, the RUF required additional international military presence before they could be subjugated. The Nigerian military performance was mixed at best.

Somehow, a narrative has emerged that these were successful operations. If you go back in history, they couldn't defeat Niger-Delta militants, necessitating that we pay them to lay down their arms and before the ICJ ruling, failed to dislodge Cameroun from contested territories. Even the Biafra required heavy foreign military aid before they could conquer a rag tag army.

This story about the invincibility of the Nigerian army is the height of self-deception. This is why when the Boko Haram menace started, I was insistent that we had no chance of defeating them anytime soon. This insurgency will subsist for many more years.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by honprof1(m): 9:00am On Jul 27, 2014
Good Topic. .... Remember what Gen.Sani Abacha said , If there is continous or persistance attack of terrorist in a country for more than 24 hours , it means the governnment in power must be checked and questioned for it ...
May. Almigty GOd expose the perpetrators as soon as possible

oduastates: From being one of the crackiest ,most courageous and result oriented troops to the present pitiable state.From an army capable if rubbing shoulders with the best in the world to a tool for election rigging , oil bunkering etc.
They were so badass that special punishments were usually reserved for Nigerian soldiers when they were captured wherever they were operating.
1)In Seirra leone , the army landed at Freetown airport at dawn in a number of Hercules C130 aircraft,took control of the airport and started fanning out into strategic positions in the city ;starting from the approaches to the airport.They battled street by street until the drove out the rebels out of Freetown.
In Somalia ,a platoon of Nigeria soldiers single handedly held and fought to the last man against a massive column of insurgents while the Europeans troop nearby ran away and left them to their fate.
In Liberia , Nigeria troops landed right into the middle of a senseless war with no clear friend or foe and fought block by block, city by city ,swamp by swamp ,jungle by jujngle.
Many lost their lives in the process . While the usual corruption was there ,but these men fought and fought hard.

What exactly has changed that they are unable to fight a group of terrorists who attack military bases in numbers (which means that conventional military methods can be used to destroy them )?

A few links
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/27/world/us-and-nigerian-troops-halt-somali-shootings.html

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19931019&slug=1726806
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by Zinosalexander(m): 9:05am On Jul 27, 2014
mrlaw93: They wont fight cos there is no bokoharam.. they re d bokoharam

Only few people will get this

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by honprof1(m): 9:08am On Jul 27, 2014
With ur comment , it indicate u r not following d trend of war since it's start ...ask ur Self some questions like , if the army has not been given false intelligent report to take up with insulgent?

kastonkastrol: Nigeria army is now a capital disgrace. The only thing they know how to do is to harass innocent civilians. I vividly remember what they foolish soldiers did to us on wednesday of last week when a grenade was detonated in the city of kaduna.. We came into the city in the night to execute a project not knowing a coffee was in the state.

These foolish soldiers stopped us, one was even trying to shoot us. The only let us be when we showed em' our ID cards.

Nigeria army is a disgrace, they are also very corrupt just like the police
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by hardbody: 9:16am On Jul 27, 2014
Smooyis: Thou shall not kill. Love your neighbour as yourself. Do good to those that hate you, even your enemy...............Those whom you see as your enemy today can be ur best friend tomorrow

You are quoting the Bible, discussing and engaging with God. He is studying the Quran and practicing to kill in the name of Allah.....This discussion is tangentially inclined. You are both not communicating between yourselves.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by Virgindove(f): 9:16am On Jul 27, 2014
The problems of Nigeria Army are CORRUPTN, CORRUPTN, CORRUPTN and CORRUPTN. Recruitments into d army is no longer merit based. This started in d 90s when you av to b connected or b a relative of a General to be recruited into officer cadre. Many of ds officers are now deserting d army now when d goldmine in d army is depleting.

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by hardbody: 9:23am On Jul 27, 2014
poiZon:

bros leave ABACHA ur mentor abi ROLE MODEL out of this issue. lemme tell u what u dont knw, any country that partakes in peace keeping in another country, its either AU or UN that takes care of the soldiers involved. and they are paid in dolls i heard between 50 n 100 dolls everyday plus other benefits in additional to your salary in your country so they will alwayys be well behaved so they can come back n flex their money. unlike what we r facing with the boko unslaught, the soldiers aint out of the country so they are doing their civic n basic duties which they were sworn to do which is PROTECT THE BORDERS OF THE COUNTRY FROM EXTERNAL FORCES n maintain peace and order in the country. to me what they are clamourng for is rubbish cos it is what they swore to do. abi the police men that fights crimes do they need additional motivation interms of CRIME FIGHTING ALLOWANCE?

Not to join issues with you but just to answer to your last question....Yes the police need and INDEED insist on motivation before they fight crime. You need to mobilize them for an arrest, fuel their pick up van, drop something for the men going out for the arrest, etc.

On the roads, the collect money from everything that has 'inner light' even in the afternoon. Police indeed needs and collects motivation to work
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by iconize(m): 9:25am On Jul 27, 2014
kastonkastrol: Nigeria army is now a capital disgrace. The only thing they know how to do is to harass innocent civilians. I vividly remember what they foolish soldiers did to us on wednesday of last week when a grenade was detonated in the city of kaduna.. We came into the city in the night to execute a project not knowing a coffee was in the state.

These foolish soldiers stopped us, one was even trying to shoot us. The only let us be when we showed em' our ID cards.

grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by poiZon: 9:30am On Jul 27, 2014
hardbody:

Not to join issues with you but just to answer to your last question....Yes the police need and INDEED insist on motivation before they fight crime. You need to mobilize them for an arrest, fuel their pick up van, drop something for the men going out for the arrest, etc.

On the roads, the collect money from everything that has 'inner light' even in the afternoon. Police indeed needs and collects motivation to work

is the money legal? is this money collected from federal govt.?
i knw say na joke but am talkng of legit motivation. all those u say its been budgeted in their year's budget so una dem fit scam cos una no sabi una right n what d law says
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by Yungmilio2(m): 9:47am On Jul 27, 2014
poiZon:

why do u think the 1billion dolls is for campaign when ur ilk said he stole 49billion dolls abi na 10 or 20billion dolls, and diezani is launderng money for him via NNPC... bros talk beta thng. if jona needs campaign money i think 1billion dolls wont be enuf considerng the emirs n sultans n a obas we hv in nigeria.... CASH N CARRY ENTITIES!

lol
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by hardbody: 10:11am On Jul 27, 2014
poiZon:

is the money legal? is this money collected from federal govt.?
i knw say na joke but am talkng of legit motivation. all those u say its been budgeted in their year's budget so una dem fit scam cos una no sabi una right n what d law says

Bros leave this knowing your right things alone. I know my rights and have been knowing them since last decade....if you catch my drift......

Reality is what counts. I know when an when not to insist on motivating the police

But i see you point though....i was not looking at the legit motivational angle
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by prettyboi1(m): 10:11am On Jul 27, 2014
What happened to them is the cowardly so-called "commander-in-chief",Mr. Goodluck Jonathan who fears any and everything/everyone and keeps making cheap cowardly excuse. If a person like Obasanjo were still president,trust me motivation woulda be typically high. Here,Mr.Jonathan cannot even visit his own troops at their battlefields in the same country where he claims to be president over,how much more if they were fighting in another country.
#JonathanMustGo

1 Like

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by DIVINE78: 10:14am On Jul 27, 2014
Jonathan retired 40+ military officer who Nigeria has spent money and time to train in order to make a man from Rivers state Chief of army staff.
Na my brother mentality.

3 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by poiZon: 10:15am On Jul 27, 2014
hardbody:

Bros leave this knowing your right things alone. I know my rights and have been knowing them since last decade....if you catch my drift......

Reality is what counts. I know when an when not to insist on motivating the police

But i see you point though....i was not looking at the legit motivational angle

dey dia now!
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by bigrovar(m): 10:18am On Jul 27, 2014
4Play: The way Nigerians talk about Liberia and Sierra Leone, you will think they achieved their military objectives.

They were far from successful - in Liberia, Charles Taylor still ascended to power as people were so terrorised by his group they felt they had to vote him in. In Sierra Leone, the RUF required additional international military presence before they could be subjugated. The Nigerian military performance was mixed at best.

Somehow, a narrative has emerged that these were successful operations. If you go back in history, they couldn't defeat Niger-Delta militants, necessitating that we pay them to lay down their arms and before the ICJ ruling, failed to dislodge Cameroun from contested territories. Even the Biafra required heavy foreign military aid before they could conquer a rag tag army.

This story about the invincibility of the Nigerian army is the height of self-deception. This is why when the Boko Haram menace started, I was insistent that we had no chance of defeating them anytime soon. This insurgency will subsist for many more years.

That is not so true.. the problem we have is lack of records and the absurd secrecy of the Nigerian armed forces which means we would never get to see the sacrifices and success of our forces in foreign mission.

Take Liberia: After the debacle that lead to the capture and murder of Samuel Doe by prince Yomi Johnson from the Ecomog force HQ.. Nigeria finally got the message and decided to take charge. It would be the last time we would see a non Nigeria as ecomog force commander. Gen Dogonyaro (AKA Gen Rambo) was brought in to bring in some bite to the already demoralized ecomog.. He came in and went on the offensive immediately launching operation liberty (on Nigeria's independent day 1990) the objective of which was to clear out Taylor and NPFL forces out of monrovia.. within 3 weeks this objective was realized. .NPFL was expelled from Monrovia, a buffer zone was secured, Spriggs Payne Airport was captured from Taylor which stem the flow of arms import, the port of buchanan was blockaded.. a shell shocked taylor accepted a cease-fire in November 1990. When NPFL men tried attacking AFL Barclay training camp in monrovia, no less than 60 of them were killed by a crack Nigeria-Ghanian squad. NPFL home was bombed and some 500 prince yomi johnson men were disarmed. Charles Taylor NPFL forces were cleared from Monrovia and for 2 years Monrovia saw peace.. electricity was restored, live returned to normal.. Dongoyaro's no nonsense approach (which he termed Positive neutrality & limited offensive) pinned down Charles taylor to the outskirts of Liberia and would have resulted to a quick end to the war.. however Jealousy, and fear (Dongoyaro's success was not well taken back well at home with fear that the war was making him too powerful for a coup paranoid IBB this was not good) Dogonyaro asked for more men to complete the job in Liberia and secure a country wide cease fire. But lagos denied this request. fear for casualties and his growing popularity.. even though the needed men Gen Dogonyaro requested for was eventually granted. He was replaced as ecomog field commander he would later say " The whole thing could have finished a long time ago but political consideration are naturally superior to military decisions." Dogonyaro was replaced as field commander though his period was fondly remembered by liberians and ecomog soldiers as the golden age that ushered in a 2 year resign of peace in the capital. Rufus Kupolati his replacement choose a different policy choosing negotiation and working with Taylor to achieve peace hence rolling back the gains of dogongoyao. Mixed of geo politics and lack of political will allowed the war to drag on for years.. yet in the end Nigeria ensured that Liberia saw peace. compared to other western interventions like Libya and Iraq one can call Liberia a success story.

5 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by EasternLeopard: 10:23am On Jul 27, 2014
prettyboi1: What happened to them is the cowardly so-called "commander-in-chief",Mr. Goodluck Jonathan who fears any and everything/everyone and keeps making cheap cowardly excuse. If a person like Obasanjo were still president,trust me motivation woulda be typically high. Here,Mr.Jonathan cannot even visit his own troops at their battlefields in the same country where he claims to be president over,how much more if they were fighting in another country.
#JonathanMustGo

Trash

Was it not the same OBJ that said he gave them their sharia in order to have peace.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 27, 2014
the only problem our military have now is politics and corruption
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by prettyboi1(m): 10:46am On Jul 27, 2014
EasternLeopard:

Trash

Was it not the same OBJ that said he gave them their sharia in order to have peace.
Because whether you like it or not,Sharia exists in our constitution and as long as it is there we must respect it. I'm not a Muslim,but it is what it is & Obasanjo played his role by following the constitution. If we don't want it,then the national assembly must vote to get it out.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by bigrovar(m): 10:52am On Jul 27, 2014
The same scene repeated itself in Sierra Leone where the Nigerian troops showed their tenacity and ruggedness in the face of poor kit, corruption among the officer ranks.. and fighting a a foreign land against a rebel group whose support went from Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Libya to Ukraine.. Yet our boys held their own.. After the intelligence blunder that lead to the January 6th 1998 free town invasion which saw over 30,000 rampaging rebels descend on freetown (hiding behind refugees and routing the 72 mechanized brigade) breaking the iron circle around freetown and pinning our forces to Lungi airport.. It had to take the courage of officers like Brig Gen Maxwell Khobe who choose death before dishonor and lunched the famous operation death before dishonor.. with the sole objective of reverting the rebel offensive and pushing the rebels out of freetown. the freetown offensive saw one of the most massive deployment of Nigerian forces ever witnessed.. a massive over 9000 troops and materials were deployed from the 82nd airborne division Makurdi in less than 9 days.. Gen Maxwell Khobe was an leader who lead from the front. a man who usually and constantly checks the positions of his men to ensure they are were they were suppose to be. In one of the operation that lead to clearing of rebels from freetown he was said to have armed with a walking talkie walked "cool as a cucumba" towards the smoke filled battle field saying gentlemen lets go" Khobe died of injuries he sustained from shrapnels in the frontline .. even when injured he refused to leave sierra leone to recieve treatment until peace was restored. He was made chief of army staff of that country and even today major roads in freetown are named after him.

With this battle on BH right in our backyard I often ask myself why our boys seem to have lost the tenacity they have shown from Liberia to Mogadisho and even as far afield as Kosovo.. what changed.. what has happened? Yes corruption but what has always been the case... it has even gotten better over the years as troop welfare seem to have improved from the deplorable state in Liberia and S/L where troops went to battle without even the most basic protection (lack of bullet proof vest) and salaries were rarely paid.. wounded soldiers were left to rot (so much that Jimmy Carter had to pay for their medical bills) despite all these, Nigerian troops fought with spirit in foreign lands.. they fought without air support, without bullet proof vest.. fought on hungry stomach defending the right of foreigners yet are unable to repeat same feet here at home.

My conclusion is the weakening of the official class especially the retirement of over 400 of them by OBJ administration in other to make the army coup proof. Most of the retired officers are some of the best this countries has produced.. and no military can survive such unscratched .. Most of the officer class we have now have little battle experience which is exposed by BH.. This is one thing we may never know

6 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by tonytony208(m): 10:55am On Jul 27, 2014
GenBuhari: Abacha was not corrupt that is why he was able to intervene in Sierra Leone, Liberia etc.

Corruption is really killing us.

ABACHA IS NOT CORRUPT??!!!!!! EEEEHHHH!!!!
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by EasternLeopard: 11:03am On Jul 27, 2014
prettyboi1:
Because whether you like it or not,Sharia exists in our constitution and as long as it is there we must respect it. I'm not a Muslim,but it is what it is & Obasanjo played his role by following the constitution. If we don't want it,then the national assembly must vote to get it out.

Pls never support stupidity just because you want to score cheap point on political issues.

During shagari's regime, sharia was opposed especially it becoming a state law.

During OBJ's regime, in order to frustrate OBJ, some Northern governors declared their states sharia states which led to protest by native Northern Xtians.

OBJ in order to avoid coup then, succumb to their pressure. These governors went ahead to sponsor Islamic groups that believes in sharia rule of which today's BH was a beneficiary of Borno's state support.

because the sharia was not total, they felt that if sharia is practiced the way it is practiced in Islamic Nations, poverty will dissappear.

That was the beginning of the struggle for total sharia of which some choose arm struggle as a means of achieving it while some choose non-violet approach.

IF OBJ HAD STOPPED THE NORTHERN GOVS FROM DECLARING THEIR STATES AS SHARIA STATES, THEY WONT BE ANY ORGANISE SHARIA TERROR GROUP LIKE BH
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by musaibnabdul(m): 11:05am On Jul 27, 2014
politics and tribalism are the main cause. Politicians run the army the decides who enters both NDA and DEPORT, promotion and posting are policized. ask anyone who is in the system he would collaborate what am saying.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by babxe: 11:12am On Jul 27, 2014
i think there is a big difference between internal conflict and an external one. the challenges these courageous army are facing is an internal struggle.these boko boys are mostly nigerians~they speak our language(hausa), they live among us, they know our enviroments perfectly~ they know us perfectly because they are nigerians.so it is very difficult for them to fully contain these insurgency.
even in the US with the highest military budget, they were recently hit with the boston tragedy which i believe it's possible because the perpetrators are american resident(s)~at least one of them.even in europe,the terror cases that occur are mainly internal e.g norway shooting.even the various shootings in american schools.
the united state military are known for greatness because of there successes against external enermies.and w've seen our army succeed in various outings to other counties.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by manutdadex(m): 11:25am On Jul 27, 2014

what were u expecting? Dey should welcom u in open arms? I pity u,if to say una no get id card..una own don finish b dat! U re enterin an hot zone late at nite! If na me we go still detain una first. Fightin terrorist no b beans even d almity U.s army strugled wit theirs. Especially wen its in ur own home country. If na normal war we for don finish dem since
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Army . by bandyboy: 11:37am On Jul 27, 2014
how much are they collecting self? this politician just dey kill dem soldiers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osinabjo, Amaechi, Dogara At 3rd Annual Conference Of African Maritime / NDDC Paid ‘scholarship Grants’ To MD, Directors – Senate Report / TI Corruption Index: Reno Omokri Blasts Buhari, Lists 20 Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.