Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,351 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) (39422 Views)

5 Interesting, Yet Wierd Facts About Nigerians / 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(pics) / Things Foreigners Need To Know Before Travelling To Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Waspy(m): 10:06am On Jul 27, 2014
I think what they'll find weirdest the most is the fact that we've failed to get it right, despite all we've got...the corruptions, the nepotisms, the impunities, the tribalism, etc. Not that it doesn't occur elsewhere, but Nigeria's got the sole/bragging rights for these sh!!!ts undecided undecided

6 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Lanceslot(m): 10:35am On Jul 27, 2014
anago9010:

we don't wake our parent from bed with sliding tackles john terry styled.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 27, 2014
Naija rocks

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by omenka(m): 11:26am On Jul 27, 2014
This country would have made for the most fascinating place to live on earth, with a vast spectrum of religious and cultural heritage, save for the weird kind of politics our leaders practise which seems to have completely emasculated her potentials.

Still, I love her!! cool

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Goddex: 11:47am On Jul 27, 2014
Goddex:

Hahahahahaha . . . . bros I feel you. The OP spoilt the show when he started mentioning
1) Being loudmouth and noisy
2) Red soup
3) Prostrating to greet elders
4) etc

To add again, me thinks Naija is too religious . . . . as in:
1) Isreal bombs Gaza and some Nigerians start killing fellow Nigerians in Kaduna, Kano and Zaria

7 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by londoner: 11:48am On Jul 27, 2014
anago9010:

we don't wake our parent from bed with sliding tackles john terry styled.

Neither do we. In fact we actually don't wake our parents from bed. They are our parents and elders, not our children.

You have to educate yourself on the norms of people, other than your own tribe. Its only really Yoruba's or tribes that have close historical ties with Yoruba's that prostrate to greet.

Its not a general Nigerian norm or tradition.

If you are talking about Nigeria, you cant ignore all other tribes or social norms from other places.

We ALL make up Nigeria.

17 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Krasid(m): 11:53am On Jul 27, 2014
Their problem not mine.
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Harmvirus(f): 11:53am On Jul 27, 2014
I love being a Nigerian.. As a Nigerian, u can survive anywhere grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by anago9010(m): 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2014
londoner:

Neither do we. In fact we actually don't wake our parents from bed. They are our parents and elders, not our children.

You have to educate yourself on the norms of people, other than your own tribe. Its only really Yoruba's or tribes that have close historical ties with Yoruba's that prostrate to greet.

Its not a general Nigerian norm or tradition.

If you are talking about Nigeria, you cant ignore all other tribes or social norms from other places.

We ALL make up Nigeria.

stories!!! tell your stories to peeps that have not been to alaigbo. I have to flog some knuckleheads not to call their parents by first names in the school I served.

6 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by ITbomb(m): 1:19pm On Jul 27, 2014
Believe me, being a Nigerian is so much fun especially with enough cash in your pocket and investments around

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by hunter21(m): 1:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
saying good morning everymorning

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Ijebulogic(m): 1:41pm On Jul 27, 2014
Interesting....almost everything listed here applies to the Japanese...including the prostrating custom in some regions. It Japan its called Dogeza. In Europe, i havent met a louder bunch of people than the Italians. You cant hear yourself in a traditional Italian restaurant. My advise to everyone is to travel and interact with other cultures...you will soon realise that we have more things in common with other nations than you think. Free yourself from mental slavery.

11 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Rikidony(m): 1:51pm On Jul 27, 2014
NIce one O. cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by adconline(m): 2:30pm On Jul 27, 2014
goldfish80:
neuljosh: 9. Nigerians take education too seriously

People abroad do not believe in studying till you die! That is why they find it odd when they see a Nigerian who has a PhD and is looking forward to study for Litt.D, DSc or LL.d.

We take education too seriously because we believe that it is the key to having a fulfilled life. Though, things are changing – and Nigerians now believe that you can still work hard and be successful rather than studying for ages to become a successful person. However, education in Nigeria is important.
Delusion of grandeur! We have the highest child illiteracy in the world. Folks under Taliban rule in Pakistan send more kids to school than Naija
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by neuljosh(m): 2:56pm On Jul 27, 2014
adconline:
Delusion of grandeur! We have the highest child illiteracy in the world. Folks under Taliban rule in Pakistan send more kids to school than Naija
whatever facts you think you have, I don't think it surpasses the reality that make same Nigerians the most educated people in the US. Also do know how many thousands of Nigerians are currently studying abroad?? Forget about that you read online or from the Media, Nigerians take education far serious than most western worlds

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by momoyama: 3:50pm On Jul 27, 2014
adconline:

It is not for lack of taking education seriously that so much child illiteracy exists. Rather, I would assume (as an outsider) that it is because of a lack of resources, state investment and opportunities in rural areas. The author's view relates to the attitude and mentality of Nigerians that are abroad or come into contact with foreigners, and I would agree with him (again, as a foreigner myself) that those Nigerians do indeed take education very, very seriously. To me that is a good thing.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 27, 2014
momoyama:

It is not for lack of taking education seriously that so much child illiteracy exists. Rather, I would assume (as an outsider) that it is because of a lack of resources, state investment and opportunities in rural areas. The author's view relates to the attitude and mentality of Nigerians that are abroad or come into contact with foreigners, and I would agree with him (again, as a foreigner myself) that those Nigerians do indeed take education very, very seriously. To me that is a good thing.
Exactly my thoughts when I first saw that dudes comment. Thanks for pointing it out
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by ochejoseph(m): 5:49pm On Jul 27, 2014
NICE OP WELL DONE

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by londoner: 6:55pm On Jul 27, 2014
anago9010:

stories!!! tell your stories to peeps that have not been to alaigbo. I have to flog some knuckleheads not to call their parents by first names in the school I served.

You should have asked their parents if it is the norm IN THEIR HOUSE, for their children to call them by the first name. I grew up in London, and had a close family, where the parents actually told the children to call them by first name. The person they called "mum" was actually their grandmother. They called their actual mother by her first name. To her face.

I asked them why, because in our house (also Igbo) we did not do that. They were instructed to by the same parents to do so.

Lets see how you can over ride the direction from parent to child, in the name of "respect".

If that is how they are told to call their parents, how does it concern you?

Look, just because you have norms, does it mean you should see the world through your own little corner?

People have rules for their own houses.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by neuljosh(m): 2:21am On Jul 28, 2014
Goddex:

Hahahahahaha . . . . bros I feel you. The OP spoilt the show when he started mentioning
1) Being loudmouth and noisy
2) Red soup
3) Prostrating to greet elders
4) etc

You are either ignorant or blinded by sentiments to deneil that no one in your tribe exibits those points your
layed out.

1. Most Nigerians I know home and abroad in respective of thier tribes, have bigmouths and talk at the top their voice.

2. I am a proud Igbo son from Abia to be precise & the last time I checked, we Igbos cook soups like Uwgu, Ukazi and Oha etc. with Palm Oil(red oil) so whats your point

3. Prostrating to greet elders may not be a significant part of an Igbo culture but it goes beyond the yourubas. Other tribes like hausa, Nupe, Igala etc. have their various ways of greetings.

You guys just look for ways to tribalize issues. Please give it a break for ones and go take a good nap

15 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 2:32am On Jul 28, 2014
..........._

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by adconline(m): 5:39am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh:
whatever facts you think you have, I don't think it surpasses the reality that make same Nigerians the most educated people in the US. Also do know how many thousands of Nigerians are currently studying abroad?? Forget about that you read online or from the Media, Nigerians take education far serious than most western worlds
Why does Naija like to manufacture stupidity where is no need for it? U cited what the "MEDIA " told u that Nigerias are one of the most educated folks in the US; and U rejected what the same " MEDIA" told u that Naija has one of the highest child illiteracy rates in the world..it's either we keep living in denial or accept it and solve the problem. Facts are facts!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by eaglechild: 5:58am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh:
For the sake of folks like you, I would have to add #11. Some Nigerian are tribal bigots Please don't come and tribalize this trend.
I don't think he tried to tribalise anything.

It is an oversight by you, to generalise prostration as Nigerian when only a particular tribe making up less than a third of the population does it. Most foreigners are oblivious of this culture.

It is an oversight also to talk about using red oil to cook when most of the north barely use it, and a large part of the south do so sparingly.

He was simply trying to point these out.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by GodMode: 6:01am On Jul 28, 2014
neuljosh:

There is a difference between school and education.

Western countries take education too serious while Nigeria takes school too serious.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Nobody: 6:19am On Jul 28, 2014
craps!
Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by AdeniyiA(m): 6:20am On Jul 28, 2014
12. THEY BELIEVE WE TALK MORE THAN WE ACT.
13. THEY BELIEVE WE KNOW OUR PROBLEMS AND CAUSES BUT WE CANNOT TACKLE THEM BECAUSE OF INCOMPETENCES ND CLUELESS NESS

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Foreigners Find Weird About Nigerians(PICS) by Pavore9: 6:26am On Jul 28, 2014
speak2emmalex: Interesting... there are things we also find weird about most foreigners.
True! just as l find it weird seeing Kenyans eating steamed cabbage and they look me as if l am mad when l eat it fresh!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Will Ambode’s 5000 New BRT Buses Solve The Lagos Traffic Challenge? (see PHOTOS) / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / Commercial Bus Driver Crushes Motorist To Death In Meiran, Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.