Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,040 members, 7,953,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:15 AM

Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. (1172 Views)

Nigeria Vs Germany: U20 World Cup On June 11 At 8:30am / Nigeria Moves 10 Spots On Latest FIFA Ranking / Super Eagles Defenders Present Performance And World Cup Qualifier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by davidif: 9:17pm On Jul 27, 2014
Based on the results of African teams in this world cup and in the past, wouldn't it be a better idea for FIFA to take one World Cup spot from CAF and give it to another confederation that is more deserving.

Please, let us be objective. No arguments with sentiments, just present your facts ( you can support it with statistics.) angry angry
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by theplanmaker: 9:37pm On Jul 27, 2014
to which continent precisely?
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 27, 2014
yes ,they should reduce it to 1
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by davidif: 10:02pm On Jul 27, 2014
theplanmaker: to which continent precisely?

Any deserving confederation.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by theplanmaker: 10:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
davidif:

Any deserving confederation.

I'm of the opinion that Africa even deserves an extra slot to boost our chances. its not like Asia is better than Africa, and Europe and south america are over represented as it is. the concacaf region is not much better, so abeg leave Africa
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by Krasid(m): 10:37pm On Jul 27, 2014
Like theplanmaker said, the only continents that have performed better than Africa are Europe and S.america which are over-represented.So it should remain the same.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by davidif: 11:02pm On Jul 27, 2014
theplanmaker:
I'm of the opinion that Africa even deserves an extra slot to boost our chances. its not like Asia is better than Africa, and Europe and south america are over represented as it is. the concacaf region is not much better, so abeg leave Africa

I said no sentiments bro. Be objective instead of being biased towards one side. If you are going to state your opinion, then back it up with logic son.
Give me figures like Africa's win percentage in the World Cup since 1998 (when the world cup expanded to 32 teams) as compared to the teams from the other confederations. Show me each continents performance side by side and compare them to Africa.
I mean it's not hard to do some research and find out that for the first time ever, two African teams made it out of the group stages meanwhile Asia has had a semi-finalist.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by davidif: 11:04pm On Jul 27, 2014
Krasid: Like theplanmaker said, the only continents that have performed better than Africa are Europe and S.america which are over-represented.So it should remain the same.

Don't just look at this World Cup, it's a small sample size. Let's look at the results from 1998 till now and tell me which continent has been least deserving.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by maputohq: 11:07pm On Jul 27, 2014
davidif:

I said no sentiments bro. Be objective instead of being biased towards one side. If you are going to state your opinion, then back it up with logic son.
Give me figures like Africa's win percentage in the World Cup since 1998 (when the world cup expanded to 32 teams) as compared to the teams from the other confederations. Show me each continents performance side by side and compare them to Africa.
I mean it's not hard to do some research and find out that for the first time ever, two African teams made it out of the group stages meanwhile Asia has had a semi-finalist.
Dey there dey expect facts since 1998 world cup...... mtcheeeeeeeeeew
if any spot is to be added or deducted, it would be based on this last world cup... we performed better than Asia. If you need to know more, do the research yourself.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by jotey(m): 12:08am On Jul 28, 2014
op u gt sense at all ??.Oga make I ask u 1 question

1990 world cup only Cameroon qualify 4 group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

1994 world cup Na only Nigeria qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

1998 world cup only Nigeria qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

2002 world cup Na only Senegal qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

2006 world cup only Ghana qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

2010 world cup only Ghana qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no still tink of reducing the slots

BT 2014 world cup both Nigeria and Algeria cum qualify past group stage 4 Africa Na DAT time u cum dey tink of reducing the slots

Na joke o pls dnt take it personal Abeg biko ejo

5 Likes

Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by Syenite(m): 4:06am On Jul 28, 2014
It is not only about how the different confederations perform, number of countries in each confederation is also a factor.

To your question, I think based on Africa's performance in d last 2 WC: Ghana Qfinal in 2010, Nigeria and Algeria 2nd round with Ivory Coast narrowly missing out in 2014, Africa deserves 0.5 slot increament.
How? A 6th African team to play a play-off with the Oceania winner or the 4th team in Asia (I.e reducing Asia's slot by 0.5 due to poor performances in d last 3 WC)

1 Like

Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by M4gunners: 5:14am On Jul 28, 2014
No instead they should increase it.We learn by trying.2010 , Ghana was only Africa Team that made it to round of 16, but this year Nigeria and Algeria., Who knows what will happen in next World Cup.

1 Like

Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by AzontoGhost(m): 9:01am On Jul 28, 2014
M4gunners: No instead they should increase it.We learn by trying.2010 , Ghana was only Africa Team that made it to round of 16, but this year Nigeria and Algeria., Who knows what will happen in next World Cup.
gbam!!!

1 Like

Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by arsetalks(m): 12:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
I sincerely think our slot should be increased and not reduced. It is not as if Asia has done better than us? However, I think the confederations should work together to oust Hayatou from that site.

If AFCON can attract less than $5m for winning team and champions league is getting €2.1 million for just making it to the qualifying round then there is massive problem and it is due mainly to Hayatou and his men's incompetence.

I mean, clubs now want to come to Africa ( United has been doing it for ages, Arsenal tried it but ran away due to insecurity and the sudden opportunity from Asia ) simply because the market here is untapped and Hayatou and his men can not use this to their advantage? Disgusting.

High time that man left that seat hence his son will take over from him. He has spent 30 freaking years at CAF, time to go so someone else with better idea can come in.

1 Like

Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by Forzap: 6:03pm On Jul 28, 2014
Op I agree wit u,infact even more dan one sef...imagine avin d same slot wit south america(5 each)nd sum peeps here say dey are over represented....hian undecided
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by davidif: 1:00am On Jul 29, 2014
Forzap: Op I agree wit u,infact even more dan one sef...imagine avin d same slot wit south america(5 each)nd sum peeps here say dey are over represented....hian undecided

Gbam!!! Your head correct jare. Of all the African teams, none made it to the quarter finals. Heck, only one made it out of there group. It was really embarrassing.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by davidif: 1:05am On Jul 29, 2014
arsetalks: I sincerely think our slot should be increased and not reduced. It is not as if Asia has done better than us?

Really? They have had a semifinalist before. Who has Africa had?
In the previous World Cup, they have definitely outperformed us. We had to wait till 2014 just to get two teams make it out of the first round. That's really poor.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by davidif: 1:14am On Jul 29, 2014
Syenite: It is not only about how the different confederations perform, number of countries in each confederation is also a factor.

To your question, I think based on Africa's performance in d last 2 WC: Ghana Qfinal in 2010, Nigeria and Algeria 2nd round with Ivory Coast narrowly missing out in 2014, Africa deserves 0.5 slot increament.
How? A 6th African team to play a play-off with the Oceania winner or the 4th team in Asia (I.e reducing Asia's slot by 0.5 due to poor performances in d last 3 WC)

You made an excellent point in your first paragraph but I highly disagree with the second one. Africa had six slots in the last World Cup and ONLY one made it out of the group. It was such an awful performance.

The truth of the matter is that since the tournaments expansion has barely done anything to justify its 5 spots and please let's not hide behind Ghana's heroics. Let's look at the overall picture. African football has been the least performing in the tournament.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by davidif: 3:55am On Jul 29, 2014
jotey: op u gt sense at all ??.Oga make I ask u 1 question

1990 world cup only Cameroon qualify 4 group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

1994 world cup Na only Nigeria qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

1998 world cup only Nigeria qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

2002 world cup Na only Senegal qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

2006 world cup only Ghana qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no tink of reducing the slots

2010 world cup only Ghana qualify past group stage 4 Africa BT u no still tink of reducing the slots

BT 2014 world cup both Nigeria and Algeria cum qualify past group stage 4 Africa Na DAT time u cum dey tink of reducing the slots

Na joke o pls dnt take it personal Abeg biko ejo

See naija man reasoning. Using outliers as the average. So because on country makes it out of the group stages in every World Cup except this one, that justifies Africa's performance in the World Cup?
In every world cup, only one African team has made it out of the group stage (1/5).
Since when has 1/5 (20%) become an acceptable ratio?
The only time two African teams made it out of the group stages, it required referee assistance and now folks are talking as if we did it primarily on our own.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by jotey(m): 8:33am On Jul 29, 2014
davidif:

See naija man reasoning. Using outliers as the average. So because on country makes it out of the group stages in every World Cup except this one, that justifies Africa's performance in the World Cup?
In every world cup, only one African team has made it out of the group stage (1/5).
Since when has 1/5 (20%) become an acceptable ratio?
The only time two African teams made it out of the group stages, it required referee assistance and now folks are talking as if we did it primarily on our own.
mehn are u saying referees supported us? damn the stamp on onazi by matuidi should have been a red card...the elbow on Mikel by giroud should have been a red card....you are fuvking out of point... referee did not supported us atall ...if u wanna argue about DAT disallowed goal den probably not today...
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by NIGERIALOLoCOM(m): 11:25am On Jul 29, 2014
NO! WE MUST AT LEAST KEEP OUR FIVE SPOTS FOR HAVING TWO TEAMS IN THE SECOND ROUND UNLIKE THE ASIAN FEDERATION. THE SCANDALOUS LOSS BY SPAIN AND BRAZIL SHOULD ALSO BE CONSIDERED.
Re: Should FIFA Reduce Africa's Spots At The World Cup. by davidif: 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2014
jotey: mehn are u saying referees supported us?

Duh! Did you not see the Bosnia game?

(1) (Reply)

It Was Messi's Week But Ronaldo's Year. Na True Or False? / Jordan Ibe On Oliseh’s Radar To Beef Up Eagles / Brazil – Football: Neymar Is Too Young To Lead Brazil As Captain, Says Leonardo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.