Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,828 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (352) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1354740 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 8:35am On Mar 22, 2018
PhD Position - Louisiana State University
A PhD position is available in the mechanical and industrial engineering department at Louisiana State University related to research on turbulent combustion. The project will involve experimental work on model combustors using advanced diagnostics. Applicants with background in Mechanical and Aerospace engineering particularly with any experience in experimental work are encouraged to apply. The position will start in Fall 2018. To apply, please email a single PDF file containing a cover letter outlining your interests and qualifications, a detailed CV, and contact information for three references to Dr. Shyam Menon (smenon@lsu.edu). Please include the phrase “Ph.D. applicant Fall 2018” in the subject line of the email.

7 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 12:24pm On Mar 22, 2018
Thanks for the vital information. I'm sure this will go a long way in helping a lot of people. Just as the aim of this thread is, it's better to also have the GRE at hand. I think it would be needed to have an edge. For those who need the GRE, you may want to consider www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com/gre for free lectures, books, trainings and registrations... That's if you don't already know that anyways.

Once again thanks for the vital information.
Quoran:
PhD Position - Louisiana State University
A PhD position is available in the mechanical and industrial engineering department at Louisiana State University related to research on turbulent combustion. The project will involve experimental work on model combustors using advanced diagnostics. Applicants with background in Mechanical and Aerospace engineering particularly with any experience in experimental work are encouraged to apply. The position will start in Fall 2018. To apply, please email a single PDF file containing a cover letter outlining your interests and qualifications, a detailed CV, and contact information for three references to Dr. Shyam Menon (smenon@lsu.edu). Please include the phrase “Ph.D. applicant Fall 2018” in the subject line of the email.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Rowlexy(m): 1:37pm On Mar 22, 2018
Hello house how do i convert my CGPA 3.08 on a scale of 5 to the acceptable scale of 4 in the US. Your response(s) will be highly appreciated
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 1:59pm On Mar 22, 2018
https://applications.wes.org/igpa-calculator/
Rowlexy:
Hello house how do i convert my CGPA 3.08 on a scale of 5 to the acceptable scale of 4 in the US. Your response(s) will be highly appreciated

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dmajor1(m): 2:43pm On Mar 22, 2018
RexCheeng:

I remember that you offered to help someone critique his SOP on the USA student Visa thread. In my head, you became the major with a wealth of SOP review experience. Wanted to contact you eventually but the person who needed help went AWOL.
Congrats once again.

You're right bro. We eventually did work on it together. He didn't get into his first choice school but he got into the second choice and with some scholarship.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ProEnergy: 4:27pm On Mar 22, 2018
good day bro
Time2Smile:
Congratulations to all with admits.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fortune29: 10:11pm On Mar 22, 2018
[quote author=frostsc post=66057588]Thanks for the vital information. I'm sure this will go a long way in helping a lot of people. Just as the aim of this thread is, it's better to also have the GRE at hand. I think it would be needed to have an edge. For those who need the GRE, you may want to consider www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com/gre for free lectures, books, trainings and registrations... That's if you don't already know that anyways.

Your posts on the BY Mafit are excessive sir. it's downright soliciting. let them pay Nairaland for adverts if need be.

9 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 12:10am On Mar 23, 2018
ProEnergy:
good day bro
Hi, How do you do?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amahjosh(m): 8:18pm On Mar 23, 2018
Please guru in the house am new here and i want to know the next step to take

I just registered for GRE with B.Y mafit and my exam date is 2nd of May they gave detailed but numerous ebooks and Kaplan hard copy. My problem is how do i read everything with the limited time i have..Or do they have a study plan and areas to focus on to get more from the books and get high scores. Please i need gurus in the house to give me answers and those that had registered with B.Y Mafit before now please help a friend with replies
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 8:44pm On Mar 23, 2018
Just take time to read some parts of this thread.Trust me, you will get the best advice from some of the posts especially from Scholastica16, PonPon, DrHopeful, tizentos and smallsuper.
Amahjosh:

I just registered for GRE with B.Y mafit and my exam date is 2nd of May they gave detailed but numerous ebooks and Kaplan hard copy. My problem is how do i read everything with the limited time i have..Or do they have a study plan and areas to focus on to get more from the books and get high scores. Please i need gurus in the house to give me answers and those that had registered with B.Y Mafit before now please help a friend with replies
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 6:32am On Mar 24, 2018
Amahjosh:

My problem is how do i read everything with the limited time i have..Or do they have a study plan and areas to focus on to get more from the books and get high scores.

That means you have about a month before test date. Google search magoosh 30 days GRE schedule.
First thing you need is to take a diagnostic test. Take any of Powerprep, Manhattan or Kaplan's full test in a near test day situation- from my experience, a month of practice should see you improve by 10 points on Q+V. That said, gurus advise prepping for 3 months.

By the way, why are you taking the exam by May? Aren't you planning towards Fall 2019?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sherlock5577: 6:42am On Mar 24, 2018
Amahjosh:

Just to complement what has been said, the diagnostic test gives you an idea of your strength and weaknesses. Focus on those weaknesses without neglecting your strengths! I'm also writing that day.

All the best!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amahjosh(m): 8:02am On Mar 24, 2018
Yea am planning for fall 2019 should can i postpone the exam to get enough time to prepare and if i postpone like to 1st week of June do i still follow what you just said or is there any other study plan or i should read all materials given to me by B.Y mafit. I don't want to waste my time on irrelevant materials i just want to know and read materials that will improve my score, this is my 1st time of taking this exam and i want to get it in one sitting. I have toefl to write by June. Need advice
Thank you mfarad
mfarad:

That means you have about a month before test date. Google search magoosh 30 days GRE schedule.
First thing you need is to take a diagnostic test. Take any of Powerprep, Manhattan or Kaplan's full test in a near test day situation- from my experience, a month of practice should see you improve by 10 points on Q+V. That said, gurus advise prepping for 3 months.

By the way, why are you taking the exam by May? Aren't you planning towards Fall 2019?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by fame12k(m): 10:13am On Mar 24, 2018
Amahjosh:
Yea am planning for fall 2019 should can i postpone the exam to get enough time to prepare and if i postpone like to 1st week of June do i still follow what you just said or is there any other study plan or i should read all materials given to me by B.Y mafit. I don't want to waste my time on irrelevant materials i just want to know and read materials that will improve my score, this is my 1st time of taking this exam and i want to get it in one sitting. I have toefl to write by June. Need advice
Thank you mfarad

Why not give yourself enough breathing space and prepare for at least 3 months, since u are aiming fall 2019. GRE is not a rush rush thing...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Daint: 12:36pm On Mar 24, 2018
Amahjosh:

Just start. There are topics you will be familiar with. You don't have to get stuck on them. Focus on your weaknesses. Also, you can attend their lectures.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Daint: 12:38pm On Mar 24, 2018
Ndawe:

Congratulations!! At the end of the day, all you need is just one. grin
Congrats

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Daint: 12:39pm On Mar 24, 2018
Obyknow:
Good afternoon

I registered for the GRE on January, am yet to take it, heard from my friend that I am supposed to include four schools during my registration which I didn't do.

Is there any way I can include this?, I ve been to my ETS dash board and am seeing nothing

You'll be allowed to include it on the exam day
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 1:48pm On Mar 24, 2018
Amahjosh:
Yea am planning for fall 2019... Need advice
Thank you mfarad

I advise you call BY Mafit to reschedule your test.

Yes, Magoosh also has a 90-day GRE prep schedule. I can't emphasize taking a diagnostic test enough. It's very important.
I think I understand where you're right now.

Here's a timeline you (as well as other Fall 2019 hopefuls) may consider: Disclaimer: user discretion is advised!

April: TOEFL - After 1 month of prep. ( 2 weeks is enough to get decent scores. Heck, I had a manageable score with about 10 days of prep). Within this time, research schools you'll be applying to. Don't waste the free score reports. Consider admission requirements, faculty in your interested research areas, funding scene, etc.
Suggested TOEFL materials: ETS free materials and notefull.com

July: GRE - After 3 months of assiduous prep. Apart from the diagnostic test, consider taking at least 3 full tests simulating exam situation (write the essays too) (that's 1 every month).
Suggested materials: Magoosh videos, the 3 ETS official guides, Manhattan 5lb for quants, Magoosh flashcard for vocabs, Princeton review for verbal, "Ready4" app on Android/iOS - for prepping on the go, etc.

August: start the application process, apply for transcripts if required, inform you recommenders (it's advisable you give them 1 month notice + gentle reminders)

September/October: LORs should have been completed by now. Start submitting your applications...

For starters, share your profile with the house. Now is the best time to seek clarifications to your doubts. It'll be tough to get responses once Fall 2018 hopefuls resume. All the best!
#Fall2018

8 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kristchinbot116: 7:23pm On Mar 24, 2018
i think you missed out one of the key aspects of the application pack, SOP.

Put your LOR on auto-pilot with regular reminders and work on your SOP for 2-3 months

mfarad:

Yes, Magoosh also has a 90-day GRE prep schedule. I can't emphasize taking a diagnostic test enough. It's very important.

Here's a timeline you (as well as other Fall 2019 hopefuls) may consider: Disclaimer: user discretion is advised!

April: TOEFL - After 1 month of prep. ( 2 weeks is enough to get decent scores. Heck, I had a manageable score with about 10 days of prep). Within this time, research schools you'll be applying to. Don't waste the free score reports. Consider admission requirements, faculty in your interested research areas, funding scene, etc.

July: GRE - After 3 months of assiduous prep. Apart from the diagnostic test. Consider taking at least 3 full tests simulating exam situation (write the essays too) (that's 1 every month).
Suggested materials: Magoosh videos, the 3 ETS official guides, Manhattan 5lb for quants, Magoosh flashcard for vocabs, Princeton review for verbal, "Ready4" app on Android/iOS - for prepping on the go, etc.

August: start the application process, apply for transcripts if required, inform you recommenders (it's advisable you give them 1 month notice + gentle reminders)

September/October: LORs should have been completed by now. Start submitting your applications...

For starters, share your profile with the house. Now is the best time to seek clarifications to your doubts. It'll be tough to get responses once Fall 2018 hopefuls resume. All the best!
#Fall2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shakaz(m): 7:30pm On Mar 24, 2018
mfarad:

July: GRE - After 3 months of assiduous prep. Apart from the diagnostic test. Consider taking at least 3 full tests simulating exam situation (write the essays too) (that's 1 every month).

#Fall2018
Thank you so much for this Mfarad.

Exactly what I needed to plan myself out.

I have been following this thread since my 400level days . Gladly, now I'm done. Although I'm still awaiting my IT and final semester results.

Now my question: To calculate ones GPA on a 4 point scale emphasis is usually placed on the last 60 hrs. What about we in Engineering that our IT is usually 2nd semester in 400l which obviously fall within the last 60hrs, are we going to include it in our GPA calculation?

Also please I need links to full length practice test aside Power prep 2.

#fall2019
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Daint: 9:10pm On Mar 24, 2018
shakaz:
Thank you so much for this Mfarad.

Exactly what I needed to plan myself out.

I have been following this thread since my 400level days . Gladly, now I'm done. Although I'm still awaiting my IT and final semester results.

Now my question: To calculate ones GPA on a 4 point scale emphasis is usually placed on the last 60 hrs. What about we in Engineering that our IT is usually 2nd semester in 400l which obviously fall within the last 60hrs, are we going to include it in our GPA calculation?

#fall2019

Usually schools specify last 60 hours of course work. That's approximately 400 1st semester and final year.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 9:42pm On Mar 24, 2018
kristchinbot116:
i think you missed out one of the key aspects of the application pack, SOP.

Put your LOR on auto-pilot with regular reminders and work on your SOP for 2-3 months

Yeah. I missed that. Good one!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 9:52pm On Mar 24, 2018
shakaz:

#fall2019

I learnt SIWES/ IT will be evaluated as well.

Can't find the links right now. Google: Manhattan, Kaplan, Princeton, Peterson practice tests. Also check greprep club. Someone shared the Chinese one some pages back… All the best!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md17: 12:45am On Mar 25, 2018
Here's my profile.

CGPA : 2.85/4
GRE : Preparing
TOEFL: Preparing
Research Experience: 1+ year (in Medical Microbiology/Pharmaceutical Microbiology)
uMajor: Microbiology
Prospective courses for MS: Clinical Laboratory Science or Biotechnology or Pharmacology
Advice and recommendations are highly appreciated!

cc:drhopeful, ponpon, mfarad, kristchinbot116, dmajor1, quoran, justwise, smoothblaise et al
mfarad:

#Fall2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by shakaz(m): 12:13pm On Mar 25, 2018
mfarad:

I learnt SIWES/ IT will be evaluated as well.

Can't find the links right now. Google: Manhattan, Kaplan, Princeton, Peterson practice tests. Also check greprep club. Someone shared the Chinese one some pages back… All the best!
thank you so much.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Pampaya009(m): 2:54pm On Mar 25, 2018
Happy � Sunday to you all.
Please I need an answer to this question.
How many days does it takes the WES evaluation to reach One's submitted address, if one uses a standard delivery services?

My documents had been sent to me from WES since March 14th and am yet to receive it.
How long am I supposed to wait?
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jamoyakz: 11:06pm On Mar 25, 2018
Pampaya009:
Happy � Sunday to you all.
Please I need an answer to this question.
How many days does it takes the WES evaluation to reach One's submitted address, if one uses a standard delivery services?

My documents had been sent to me from WES since March 14th and am yet to receive it.
How long am I supposed to wait?
Thanks
it will take a little while and try to check with the closet post office, although location matters alot with regular mail I.e Lagos and Abuja tend to arrive early since you can't track it. best wishes
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md17: 3:11am On Mar 26, 2018
Here's my profile.

CGPA : 2.85/4
Research Experience: 1+ year (in Medical Microbiology/Pharmaceutical Microbiology)
uMajor: Microbiology
Prospective courses for MS: Clinical Laboratory Science or Biotechnology or Pharmacology

cc:drhopeful, ponpon, mfarad, kristchinbot116, dmajor1, quoran, justwise, smoothblaise et al
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Pampaya009(m): 5:18am On Mar 26, 2018
jamoyakz:
it will take a little while and try to check with the closet post office, although location matters alot with regular mail I.e Lagos and Abuja tend to arrive early since you can't track it. best wishes
Thanks bro. Location is Ogun and I'd just go check the out office if doesn't arrive before this weekend
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Macaulay10(m): 11:29am On Mar 26, 2018
Good day people
I want to register for GRE through B. Y Mafit, so what is bothering my mind is that, if I should register for the exam, will a date be fixed for me by default for the exam, or I will be allowed to pick a date for the exam. I need adequate preparation and I plan on writing the exam around July.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 11:54am On Mar 26, 2018
Go to the ETS website and register your account.(If you have not done that before). Try registering for the exam and then, you get to see available dates for your centre at that point in time. Put a call across to MAFIT. Tell them the specific date you want and also give them your ETS details. Make sure you register on the ETS website first to minimise errors. Don't let them fix a date for you. You can do that yourself.

On the alternative, ask them for the available dates for that month. They should be able to guide you. (Though I have noticed that they sometimes mix things up. It may not also be their fault as people regularly shift their test dates).
Macaulay10:
Good day people
I want to register for GRE through B. Y Mafit, so what is bothering my mind is that, if I should register for the exam, will a date be fixed for me by default for the exam, or I will be allowed to pick a date for the exam. I need adequate preparation and I plan on writing the exam around July.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amahjosh(m): 12:18pm On Mar 26, 2018
Please is the diagnostic test same as the Powerprep II and the free score report you talk about what is it.

Here's my profile.

CGPA : 3.28/5
Certification: Cisco Certification Network Associate CCNA
Major: Telecommunication Engineering
Prospective courses for MS: Telecommunication Engineering, Network Engineering

mfarad:

July: GRE - After 3 months of assiduous prep. Apart from the diagnostic test, consider taking at least 3 full tests simulating exam situation (write the essays too) (that's 1 every month).

#Fall2018

(1) (2) (3) ... (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.