Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (353) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351612 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by dmajor1(m): 6:56pm On Mar 26, 2018
Bro, you have had a fantastic experience so far. I personally think whatever we do, we should look at what it'd do for us and how we can use it if/when we eventually return back home. The reality of the Nigerian situation as it is today is that everyone else aside Medical Laboratory Scientists are locked out of clinical diagnostic laboratories. Pharmaceutical microbiology on the other hand doesn't sell so well. I have interned in a pharmaceutical firm before and the reality on ground in the quality assurance department is that the ratio of chemical analysts to microbiologist is like 5:1. Some organizations don't even have microbiologists at all. They let the Chemist's, biochemists or pharmacists do the job. In view of this, I'd run from clinical laboratory science. Pharmacology on another hand is a degree that doesn't sell well in this country. The best jobs that most of them do is medical sales representative for pharmaceutical companies. If you want to know what I'd do if I'm in your shoes, I'd go for that degree in biotechnology. I know you'd ask why. It's simply because of its interdisciplinary nature. With biotechnology, you have many options. It's like chemistry. With it, you can decide to delve into renewable energy, environmental engineering, health care, public health, drug development, food science and many more. I think a masters degree in biotechnology would really open your eyes to limitless possibilities. But then, you're the one that know what you want out of life. The decision still rests on your shoulders.

In respect of your CGPA, it's below the 3.0 that most American schools want for graduate studies but I have seen people in the last few days who got in to their choice programs with a CGPA as low as 2.71. Their secret;

1. They started their preparation early.
2. They aced GRE and TOEFL.
3. They researched many schools and sent alot of mails enquiring about their chances.
4. They packaged their applications well.
5. They were tenacious in their belief.

You can do all these things. It's not always about your grades alone. Your experience can count for alot. Sell yourself well and trust God for the best. I believe that this is not impossible. Good luck with your preparation.

md17:
Here's my profile.

CGPA : 2.85/4
GRE : Preparing
TOEFL: Preparing
Research Experience: 1+ year (in Medical Microbiology/Pharmaceutical Microbiology)
uMajor: Microbiology
Prospective courses for MS: Clinical Laboratory Science or Biotechnology or Pharmacology
Advice and recommendations are highly appreciated!

cc:drhopeful, ponpon, mfarad, kristchinbot116, dmajor1, quoran, justwise, smoothblaise et al

7 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Macaulay10(m): 7:00pm On Mar 26, 2018
Pls people....... Any one with updated version of Nova Gre Maths bible, Manhattan and barron, pls kindly share if you have.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by kristchinbot116: 10:46pm On Mar 26, 2018
Hello md17, I have to say I agree totally with dmajor1, however I must warn you I have limited knowledge of your field.
In applying or preparing for grad school the key thing is being honest with yourself and believing in yourself at the same time. This helps you strengthen your profile in areas you can and also in putting your best foot forward. While most programs prefer 3.0 GPAs( of 4), it never guarantees admission. My advice:

- believe in yourself and trust God
- do your research on schools that have your desired program, you can have a spreadsheet for this
- ace the gre, toefl
- make sure your sop details your research, experiences and skills
- Try to get recommenders that can corroborate your research and work experience.

No idea what biotech entails (too tired to Google wink) but go for a course that has something in tech especially for US schools, or at least good prospects in years to come.

Good luck

dmajor1:
Bro, you have had a fantastic experience so far. I personally think whatever we do, we should look at what it'd do for us and how we can use it if/when we eventually return back home. The reality of the Nigerian situation as it is today is that everyone else aside Medical Laboratory Scientists are locked out of clinical diagnostic laboratories. Pharmaceutical microbiology on the other hand doesn't sell so well. I have interned in a pharmaceutical firm before and the reality on ground in the quality assurance department is that the ratio of chemical analysts to microbiologist is like 5:1. Some organizations don't even have microbiologists at all. They let the Chemist's, biochemists or pharmacists do the job. In view of this, I'd run from clinical laboratory science. Pharmacology on another hand is a degree that doesn't sell well in this country. The best jobs that most of them do is medical sales representative for pharmaceutical companies. If you want to know what I'd do if I'm in your shoes, I'd go for that degree in biotechnology. I know you'd ask why. It's simply because of its interdisciplinary nature. With biotechnology, you have many options. It's like chemistry. With it, you can decide to delve into renewable energy, environmental engineering, health care, public health, drug development, food science and many more. I think a masters degree in biotechnology would really open your eyes to limitless possibilities. But then, you're the one that know what you want out of life. The decision still rests on your shoulders.

In respect of your CGPA, it's below the 3.0 that most American schools want for graduate studies but I have seen people in the last few days who got in to their choice programs with a CGPA as low as 2.71. Their secret;

3. They researched many schools and sent alot of mails enquiring about their chances.

You can do all these things. It's not always about your grades alone. Your experience can count for alot. Sell yourself well and trust God for the best. I believe that this is not impossible. Good luck with your preparation.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md17: 3:45am On Mar 27, 2018
Thank you very much sir. I really do appreciate the detailed analysis and recommendation.
dmajor1:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md17: 3:47am On Mar 27, 2018
Thank you sir/ma. I really appreciate the input.
kristchinbot116:
Hello md17, I have to say I agree totally with dmajor1, however I must warn you I have limited knowledge of your field.
In applying or preparing for grad school the key thing is being honest with yourself and believing in yourself at the same time. This helps you strengthen your profile in areas you can and also in putting your best foot forward. While most programs prefer 3.0 GPAs( of 4), it never guarantees admission. My advice:

- believe in yourself and trust God
- do your research on schools that have your desired program, you can have a spreadsheet for this
- ace the gre, toefl
- make sure your sop details your research, experiences and skills
- Try to get recommenders that can corroborate your research and work experience.

No idea what biotech entails (too tired to Google wink) but go for a course that has something in tech especially for US schools, or at least good prospects in years to come.

Good luck

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amahjosh(m): 7:48am On Mar 27, 2018
please cc:drhopeful, ponpon, mfarad, kristchinbot116, dmajor1, quoran, justwise, smoothblaise md17 et al i need your inputs
Amahjosh:
Please is the diagnostic test same as the Powerprep II and the free score report you talk about what is it.

Here's my profile.

CGPA : 3.28/5
Certification: Cisco Certification Network Associate CCNA
Major: Telecommunication Engineering
Prospective courses for MS: Telecommunication Engineering, Network Engineering

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 5:38am On Mar 28, 2018
ok I am back again and here are my admission decisions( for now) for fall 2018
- University of Texas Austin (msc/Ph.D)- Rejected
-Renssaeler Poly (Direct Ph.D)- Accepted but no news on funding yet sha

I am still awaiting the rest and may God help us all.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by paulbets: 11:08am On Mar 28, 2018
akatovic1:

Admissions are tough these days.
Congrats on your Renssaeler Poly Admit, that's a big one... I think you should reach out immediately to the program coordinator and ask.
Even reaching out to Faculty can also be helpful.
In reaching out, put a phone call across and leave voicemail when they don't answer. Then support it with email. This can go vice versa.

How many more are you waiting on?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by reDazey(f): 4:29pm On Mar 28, 2018
akatovic1:

Congratulations on the RPI admit. I hope the funding package follows soon.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 5:16pm On Mar 28, 2018
paulbets:

Admissions are tough these days.
Congrats on your Renssaeler Poly Admit, that's a big one... I think you should reach out immediately to the program coordinator and ask.
Even reaching out to Faculty can also be helpful.
In reaching out, put a phone call across and leave voicemail when they don't answer. Then support it with email. This can go vice versa.

How many more are you waiting on?
Thanks, still waiting for three more decisions
reDazey:

Congratulations on the RPI admit. I hope the funding package follows soon.
omo na only God I dey look to open doors now as I contact more faculty
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sammybtc(m): 6:47pm On Mar 28, 2018
Please I have 2 questions here. Is it possible that ETS could schedule Sunday for GRE test because I got june 3 here with me. Second, how can I get the POWERPREP II software.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 8:41pm On Mar 28, 2018
sammybtc:
Please I have 2 questions here. Is it possible that ETS could schedule Sunday for GRE test because I got june 3 here with me. Second, how can I get the POWERPREP II software.

Yes. It's very possible. Wrote mine on a sunday too. You can access the powerprep software from ETS's website. Alternatively, you can utilize their powerpreponline platform. You will need an internet connection for this though. Also check out manhattan, kaplan and crunchprep free practice tests. Goodluck.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:23pm On Mar 28, 2018
akatovic1:

Congrats man. Funding should be dropping in the first week of April. I learnt Learner007 got into UIUC as well. Happy for you guys. I am joining my faith with Rexcheeng, MasterforceII and the rest of the crew for more testimonies of this magnitude.

#YesWeWill

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 7:57am On Mar 29, 2018
Scholastica16:

Congrats man. Funding should be dropping in the first week of April. I learnt Learner007 got into UIUC as well. Happy for you guys. I am joining my faith with Rexcheeng, MasterforceII and the rest of the crew for more testimonies of this magnitude.

#YesWeWill
Thanks boss, we will keep pushing

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by sammybtc(m): 9:26am On Mar 29, 2018
MasterforceII:

Yes. It's very possible. Wrote mine on a sunday too. You can access the powerprep software from ETS's website. Alternatively, you can utilize their powerpreponline platform. You will need an internet connection for this though. Also check out manhattan, kaplan and crunchprep free practice tests. Goodluck.
Oh! Thanks man. Can I get those free practice test materials from you please. Kaplan and crunchprep.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 3:20pm On Mar 29, 2018
Amahjosh:
Please is the diagnostic test same as the Powerprep II and the free score report you talk about what is it.

Here's my profile.

CGPA : 3.28/5
Certification: Cisco Certification Network Associate CCNA
Major: Telecommunication Engineering
Prospective courses for MS: Telecommunication Engineering, Network Engineering

Yes Powerprep will do. By diagnostic, I meant any full test that will simulate test day scenario.
Download "Yocket" on Playstore/ appstore, input your profile, then search for schools.
Decisions are decentralized-numerous factors determine admission/funding. All the best man!
cc md17

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by mfarad(m): 3:21pm On Mar 29, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Quoran: 11:35pm On Mar 29, 2018
SOMEONE MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THIS

Graduate student positions (MASc or PhD) are available at the University of British Columbia in the Norman B. Keevil Institute of Mining Engineering. The project is a part of a wider industrially sponsored project that is done in collaboration with several renowned academic
partners and an industrial partner in the natural resources sector. Project will be based at UBC and industrial partner’s R&grin facility in Vancouver.

The project will involve experimental work on lab and pilot scale solid-solid separation unit using advanced multiphase flow diagnostic tools such as PEPT, RPT, PIV, and ERT.

Candidates with experience in experimental fluid dynamics methods, FEA, and with great knowledge in sensing systems, data aquisition and analysis, computer programming, and particle physics are encouraged to apply. Advanced knowledge in C++, Python, FORTRAN, or
Matlab is required. Experience and knowledge in particle based numerical methods, namely DEM, SPH, MDS is considered to be a plus.

Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering and from physics, mathematics, and computer science backgrounds are welcome.

Interested applicants should contact Dr. Miskovic, sanja.miskovic@ubc.ca, with the following information: CV/Resume, TOEFL score, copy of transcripts, and names of three references. Positions are available from Summer 2018. Later application will be considered until all
positions are filled. Positions include competitive scholarship packages that will be awarded based on merit. International students at UBC are eligible for the International Tuition Award (ITA).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by md17: 12:59am On Mar 30, 2018
Thank you sa
mfarad:

Yes Powerprep will do. By diagnostic, I meant any full test that will simulate test day scenario.
Download "Yocket" on Playstore/ appstore, input your profile, then search for schools.
Decisions are decentralized-numerous factors determine admission/funding. All the best man!
cc md17
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lala234: 7:24am On Mar 30, 2018
Lala234:
*Anyone writing SAT can join the group*

https://chat. whatsapp.com/1sD5a7gg5iX8406mHCSpP1

*Please no post that isn't related to SAT*

*You will be removed for ever if rules are violated*
Copy the link, then
Close the gap between chat and WhatsApp.
Paste it to WhatsApp, it will work one time;
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by larissabonesi99: 7:51am On Mar 30, 2018
Ya, the information what you provided is useful and I appreciate your work for writing tips.
Thank you.
Persons who are interested to learn more trending courses on SAP can join us in the group [https://tekslate.com/sap-fico-training/][/https://tekslate.com/sap-fico-training/]
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by larissabonesi99: 7:53am On Mar 30, 2018
[quote author=larissabonesi99 post=66278076]Ya, the information what you provided is useful and I appreciate your work for writing tips.
Thank you.
Persons who are interested to learn more trending courses on SAP can join us in the group [https://tekslate.com/sap-fico-training/][/https://tekslate.com/]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Matinoh: 9:50am On Mar 30, 2018
my profile.
CGPA : 4.14/5
Certification: None
Major: petroleum Engineering
Prospective courses for MS: data science and big data, cyber security, data analytics.
I want to swerve alittle bit from petroleum engineering into any subdiscipline of ICT.
Please I need serious advice( pertaining the course drifting) & recommendations on schools with low tuition in The Us, Canada, Germany and UK. schools with funding and Graduate assistantship is also welcome.. I don't intend coming back to Nigeria. Thanks alot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babiepraiz(f): 10:05am On Mar 30, 2018
Ladson:

Not to discourage you Sha
chemical engineering is not about chemistry is about mathematics for solving, analysing complex designs equations and t design of complex systems.
Back in uniben, we called some of the course formula engineering. courses such as mass transfer,the backbone of chemeng- chemical rxn engineering,seperations techniques were all full of calculations and formulas. why I took time to enlighten you is to let u know that some of the courses you will do in Ms will not be different or may require you to have prerequisites knowledge.

especially for chemical rxn engineering-we did it five times..we almost finished the whole textbook.
my suggestion is that first do a pgd in Nigeria or look for schools that will have foundational Classes for u before u start your Ms.
I hope it helps

Thanks for your response. Grateful
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babiepraiz(f): 10:08am On Mar 30, 2018
hirschfelder:

I think this post has been sufficiently dealt with. I would just like to add though that it is not uncommon for people to switch from Chemistry/Industrial chemistry to Chemical Engineering. It's great that you have identified the schools to which you'd like to apply. All you have to do is check what the prerequisite course requirements are for those without undergraduate degrees in Chem Engg. (it's usually stated on the department's application page). You could also ask the graduate coordinators directly.
Usually, you need to have done some calculus courses and probably some basic ChE courses like chemical thermodynamics. I'm not quite sure it's necessary to obtain prerequisites by doing a pgd, check with the schools first.
Get the necessary info from the schools you have chosen, prepare well for your GRE and package your application well.

PS- Most core chemical engineering grad courses are Math-heavy (Usually intermediate-level Maths, which is not too difficult if you have some calculus background)
A lot of research in ChE is chemistry-heavy, so you would be right at home in that regard.

Good luck with your applications!!!

I did those courses you mentioned. I also have spoken with some grad coordinators though not all have responded. Thanks much for the information.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by babiepraiz(f): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2018
Scholastica16:
My Visa Interview

I but just added Advanced to 4 of them.

VO: [Still looks unimpressed]. So why Iowa State University?

Me: I looked at a couple of schoo....

VO: Does not let me finish. Says "I don't have time for that, I want to know why this school of all the schools you looked at."

Me: Yes, that is what I was about to answer.

Me: did not want to give her the canned answer of class size etc or their ranking in engineering or my course, neither do I tell her about the Prof that wanted me 'cause I am livid at this juncture. So I say "well, after acquiring my scholarship, I was looking for a reasonably priced highly-rated school that was within my sponsor's budget" [did that to just mention my scholarship jare].

VO: [Eyes bulging now], what scholarship? [Says this and looks at the I20 while at it]

Me: I have a full govt scholarship which will take care of all my spendings, I mean tuition and stipend for the duration of my program.

VO: I don't know this scholarship.

Wow am super happy for you Sir. Patience and persistence surely pays off in your case. Woe. Your story is amazing.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by umitech: 3:07pm On Mar 30, 2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by onemanarmy: 4:57pm On Mar 30, 2018
Macaulay10:
Good day people
I want to register for GRE through B. Y Mafit, so what is bothering my mind is that, if I should register for the exam, will a date be fixed for me by default for the exam, or I will be allowed to pick a date for the exam. I need adequate preparation and I plan on writing the exam around July.

Pls, how much do they charge for registration for the exams? Thanks�
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ponpon(m): 8:32pm On Mar 30, 2018
onemanarmy:

Pls, how much do they charge for registration for the exams? Thanks�
Reg
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by livewebtutors(m): 12:24pm On Mar 31, 2018
nice post thank you for sharing with us.
visit here: nursing assignment help
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amahjosh(m): 2:13pm On Apr 02, 2018
Thank you sir please how can i download all my lesson videos from my magoosh account watching those videos online is draining my data and also network can be bad. Is it possible to download all videos from my magoosh login given to me by B.Y mafit
mfarad:

cc md17
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by elevatedmind: 9:30pm On Apr 02, 2018
Amahjosh:
Thank you sir please how can i download all my lesson videos from my magoosh account watching those videos online is draining my data and also network can be bad. Is it possible to download all videos from my magoosh login given to me by B.Y mafit

This link has almost all the videos

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-ii97JplpxMdzhHNnYxSUlPOEE

All credits to Time2smile

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.