Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,355 members, 7,957,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:20 AM

John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon (10736 Views)

Poll: WHO TAKES YOUR VOTE

JOHN GRISHAM: 35% (22 votes)
SYDNEY SHELDON: 64% (40 votes)
This poll has ended

The Worst Ending A John Grisham Book Ever Had! / John Grisham Fan Club / Robert Ludlum Or John Grisham? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by suprted(m): 6:27am On Nov 22, 2008
meh. Sidney Sheldon's work is formulaic even if it is diverse. Nigerians like it because it is usually glamorous and rags-to-riches and we eat that shit. Plus its also dated which is kinda understandable since the man was in his 90s when he passed. For instance in his last book, the Model listening to Eminem. That just seemed like the editor went "Sid, its the 21st century, the (young, black) model won't be listening to Rachimminov's 5th Sonata" so they went for the most popular rapper/musical act at the time.

the person who said that Sheldon would smash the the runaway jury needs to chill. Sheldon doesn't write about normal people, he would have turned Fitch into a telenovela type caricature.

and who said Grisham only writes legal stuff. what of Skipping Christmas, The Painted House, The Broker and Playing for Pizza. Grisham is a bit hit and miss to be honest but when he's good he's very good.

I won't vote in the poll as I prefer Grisham but also as you can't compare them. A better poll would have been Louise Bagshawe and Sidney Sheldon. some of bagshawe's stories are very similar in style.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by Bossbitch(f): 2:15pm On Aug 17, 2009
I prefer Sidney Sheldon esp his Master Of The Game. John Grisham's worst novel (to me) is The Partner, its even worst than Mills & Boon. The book was quite boring a tard too wordy nd it gave me a head ache, but i like The Broker sha
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by slimslim: 4:40pm On Aug 17, 2009
Grisham - Good

Sheldon - Better
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by AccoPen(m): 5:40pm On Aug 17, 2009
Boss bitch:

I prefer Sidney Sheldon esp his Master Of The Game. John Grisham's worst novel (to me) is The Partner, its even worst than Mills & Boon. The book was quite boring a tard too wordy nd it gave me a head ache, but i like The Broker sha

The Partner is about Grisham's best piece to me.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by PAPAMODE(m): 6:04am On Aug 18, 2009
While both authors write in different genres, Grisham seems to be more practical involving everyday people and telling everyday stories. Even if you have not read his books, watch 'A Time To Kill' and there is no way you will not be tripped. Grisham has made the legal occupation interesting to most people and his only work of nonfiction further shows that miscarriage of justice can happen anywhere.

Sheldon writes a tight plot but I am hooked to Grisham so I might not be too objective. If you have not read Grisham's new book, you can read taster chapters (four I think) on his site.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by PAPAMODE(m): 6:07am On Aug 18, 2009
@ Accopen; I prefer 'A Time To Kill, The Firm and The Pelican Brief' to 'The Partner'
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by cheatmaker: 6:09am On Aug 18, 2009
j
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by RiffRaff: 2:04pm On Aug 20, 2009
Ha! There is no basis for comparism. Except u have not read a sheldon book.
I have read a lot of books by these 2 authors.
Lets compare
is it doomsday conspiracy to d run away jury. If tommorow comes to d firm abi rage of angels 2 d partner.
Sheldon is a million mile better than Grisham.
I think Nigerians over hype Grisham.
If u havent read a sheldon book try to, then u'l understand.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by ravenzord(m): 4:16pm On Aug 20, 2009
Dis is kinda hard,considering dt d 2 writers re pretty good nd dey write different genres.I love Grisham,his 'The Firm' was my introduction 2 good mature thrillers,n I've read everyone of his books since den. . . but I'll take Sidney over him everyday.I mean,dt guy's d BOMB!!! I've read all his books n d only one I didn't really dig was 'Stranger in The Mirror' which wasn't a thriller.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by oludashmi(f): 2:01pm On Aug 21, 2009
The two are exceptional writers. I don't even know the one to choose.

http://getbooksreview..com/
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by SamMilla1(m): 2:06pm On Aug 21, 2009
just finished reading the associate from john grisham

another buster just like the firm
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by IBOGIRL1: 5:01pm On Aug 27, 2009
Give me siney anyday anytime. he's d bomb.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by no21: 12:13pm On Aug 31, 2009
i will go for Grisham anyday
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by ladman(m): 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2009
i love john grisham but sheldon is also tight.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 31, 2009
Sidney Sheldon anytime,anyday,
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by 2ks(m): 4:49pm On Sep 05, 2009
you guys shouldn't be comparing Sheldon with Grisham.They both have uncomparable storry lines.compare Sheldom with guys like Acher,Ludlum etc.sha, in this category Sheldon is a boy!
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by matiltomd(f): 3:21pm On Sep 06, 2009
pejuhottie:

funny. i'm hearing 4 the first time dat john grisham is good at all. i read one of his books ( the temperament ) & i was disappointed compared to the not-easy-to-put-down, page turner sydney sheldon.

lol, u didnt read Grisham cos if u truly did, the title woulda've stuck!!! olodo grin grin
don't mind me jare, but honestly, ill definitely give it John Grisham,you can't help but be intelligent when you read his books, To the NLer who didn't like The Partner, i'll agree with you a bit cos i found it too wordy and a bit boring, and i kinda feel uncomfortable with the end part but hey, a lot of writers have their bad days, John Grisham made me fall in love with Law as a profession,

My Opinion tho!!! wink wink wink
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by yjay(f): 8:57am On Sep 11, 2009
two exceptional writers, i ve read more of john grisham than sidney sheldon,
my fav books from both authors:
sidney sheldon - morning, noon & nite
john grisham - the testament
I ll ve to go with sidney sheldon partly cos i just read bleachers & it was crap!!!!
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by debest1(m): 10:51am On Sep 11, 2009
sidney sheldon for me, esp the likes of Master of the game, If Tomorrow Comes Windmills of the Gods
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by boyejo: 11:44am On Sep 12, 2009
John Grisham is a very good and fine writer, I respect him alot and his books once you pick them, always difficult to drop.

Sidney Sheldon; the master, I have made up my mind several times to stop reading novels but anytime I see any book with Sidney Sheldon's name on it, I always break the rule. Sidney Sheldon is da BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by queenesthr(f): 3:28pm On Oct 22, 2009
Sydney Sheldon is more versatile than John Grisham.

Sydney also has a better style and is more entertaining.
John Grisham tends to get boring at times. Some of his books like The Summons, The Pelican Brief and The Street Lawyer, are just plain boring.

I'll go with Sydney Sheldon anytime, anyday. All his book are Dynmite. Check out Sands of Time for one.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by nisot23(f): 9:54pm On Oct 28, 2009
avnt read 2 many Grishams bt d few av read,i liked esp the firm.bt sheldon,i totally luv.his very 1st work i read was tell me your dreams-gr8 story line bt my best so far has 2 b master of d game.bt rily,1 shudnt put ds 2 ppl in d same category cos dy'r are both masters in their different games.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by rayzbay(f): 9:01am On Oct 29, 2009
this 2 writers are trying their best but i prefer johm grisham anytime
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by poeticjustic(m): 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2009
som1 said in earlier posts dat these 2 writers blong 2 diff genres, n dat has bin confirmd by odaz. On dat ground, i'd say there's no leverage, no yardstick 4 comparisn. Nevadless, i'v read plenty of Grisham's work, n, in my opinion, he's a very good writer. Meanyl, i wnder y queenesthr classified PELICAN BRIEF as 'boring'. . . na wa o. Anyways, havn't bin so in2 sheldon. . . . i'l check him out.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by kaydkay(m): 4:32pm On Oct 29, 2009
Get all the John Grisham Books (well almost all) at this site: www.booksdownload247..com or you can follow my thread at https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-188280.288.html

I have about 17 up already. 3 more will be up 2moro morning. U just need to download and unzip the files. Its all in PDF formats.

Enjoy.

To the question of whois better? They are both good.

Check out some of the titles at the site already:

Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by kaydkay(m): 10:13am On Oct 30, 2009
4 more Grisham books up at the site for download. Unzip the files after dloading. They are all in PDF formats

www.booksdownload247..com

Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by queenesthr(f): 1:10pm On Oct 30, 2009
@poeticjustic please try and read SANDS OF TIME by Sydney Sheldon and you will also classify The Pelican Brief as boring.

John Grisham is not half as thrilling as Sydney Sheldon but he is good in his own way.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by mobileshub(m): 10:58am On Oct 31, 2009
I will go with John Grisham, I am reading for last month or so, New book Ford County is coming this november, I think it will be as good as [url=http://www.infibeam.com/Books/search?author=John%20Grisham]John Grisham[/url]'s Other Books, I am willing to get that book and i already ordered it too. Some site offers pre order for that book as it will be available in november.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by Muhseen(m): 12:35pm On Oct 31, 2009
Sidney Sheldon
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by SoJaded: 8:43am On Nov 04, 2009
without a doubt J.G if you've read one sheldon u've read them all, it's like he writes in summary no story nada just draws a plot and finishes it up .
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by kamistura(f): 1:43pm On Nov 04, 2009
@queenesthr

Yes o, Sands of time is one of my favourite Seldon novel. I love the way he link the character of a nun with a terrorist.
Re: John Grisham Or Sydney Sheldon by SamMilla1(m): 10:50pm On Nov 15, 2009
well every one has to chose but then i havent read a sheldon book as good as A TIME TO KILL [/b]and [b]THE CLIENT from Grisham.
I have read more than 17 sheldon books.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Last Night" / Beware of the Scammer Tommyikes, Maya, Fidelis or Ifeanyi(Patricia) Aganyi / The Necklace ( A short Story) by Akintayo Akinjide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.