Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

How I Escaped Death Tonite - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How I Escaped Death Tonite (2582 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Escaped Death Tonite by Alenkakent(m): 11:22pm On Jul 31, 2014
Its been a while I noticed my car brakes were bad and I had to visit a brake master which I did today and after spending abt 4hrs @ the place where I was told to buy new brake pads and some rubber fittings... The pads were fixed and the master braking system was checked also... The brake oil tank was filled with water since I had no brake oil left in my car and it was already late @ night before they finished... I was told I cld drive the car with water in d brake oil tank and I'd come with d car tomorrow after buying d oil so we wld remove d water and put brake oil, so I paid them and left...
I drove safely into my street noticing the brake was going down again but also noticing it coming up after pumping it, so I thot it wld get better when i remove d water and add oil... As I was on a sloppy and bad part of my street, I noticed the break was totally flat and d car cldnt brake @ all even when I got to a part where a car was ahead of me and I cldnt slow down or stop d car, I started banging my horn for d car to give way and d car quickly did...
My car now moving so fast even while stamping on d brake pedal... Rather than slowing down, my car was speeding up...
I thot that was d end for me tonite so I thot since d brake wasn't working, I cld just switch d gear from drive D to park P and expect the worst since my auto seat belt was also stuck and I might hit myself on the steering or the glass after changing d gear to park on speed...
I cldnt believe what happpened, d car refused to respond to the change in gear also... Oh, I felt that was d end for me or I cld even kill someone on the street...
Gear already on park and my car still rolling along the street and I was blaring the horn non stop... Expecting d worst and ready to make sure I hit no one, I returned my gear from park P to reverse R and the car stopped (ready to reverse but cldnt, since the road was sloppy forward)... Oh my... I saw an angel that moment and I just smiled and waited @ that spot for abt 2 minutes before driving and testing the brake again and it was now working... Its a miracle I'm still alive and unscathed...
Alhamdulilah

3 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by adanny01(m): 11:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
You lost me at the last paragraph.
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 31, 2014
Water as substitute 4 brake oilGzus,tat is an expensive joke
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Alenkakent(m): 11:43pm On Jul 31, 2014
adanny01: You lost me at the last paragraph.
Which part don't u understand sir? So I cld rephrase it
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Alenkakent(m): 11:45pm On Jul 31, 2014
edozie04: Water as substitute 4 brake oilGzus,tat is an expensive joke

It wasn't my call anyway... He's called a brake master, so I thot he knew what he was doing by letting me drive d car on water as brake oil
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by PheezyLee(m): 11:46pm On Jul 31, 2014
Alhamdulilah yuar alive 2testify &nt seeing tnz lyk 'dying tnz' on ur pm smiley
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Alenkakent(m): 11:58pm On Jul 31, 2014
PheezyLee: Alhamdulilah yuar alive 2testify &nt seeing tnz lyk 'dying tnz' on ur pm smiley
Lol@ dying tinz... Did elrufai son get to post dat? May his gentle soul rest in peace
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Bootybuttchic(f): 12:00am On Aug 01, 2014
please share us recharge cards to show u are realy greatfull to God for kipping u safe undecided

thank u in advance angry

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Nobody: 12:15am On Aug 01, 2014
Alenkakent:

It wasn't my call anyway... He's called a brake master, so I thot he knew what he was doing by letting me drive d car on water as brake oil
Evn if he is a brake master,will somebody tell u 2 put ur hands in fire nd u will put itThank God 4 ur life
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by purplesummer(f): 12:25am On Aug 01, 2014
That was really a miracle, it could've been worse.
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Alenkakent(m): 12:30am On Aug 01, 2014
Bootybuttchic: please share us recharge cards to show u are realy greatfull to God for kipping u safe undecided

thank u in advance angry
Make I paste the pin here? Which network u want?
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by adanny01(m): 12:37am On Aug 01, 2014
Alenkakent:
Which part don't u understand sir? So I cld rephrase it

From the part you shifted to park. That is very risky and would definately damage you car

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Nobody: 1:27am On Aug 01, 2014
Thank God for your life that's the most important thing, I would want to assume that you're a graduate? The so called brakemaster isn't and yet you listened to his silly advice. I hope you greet him with a good slap when next you see him and hope your transmission is not yet ruined.

I wonder how a brakemaster won't have extra brake oil lying around.
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by instinctg(m): 6:08am On Aug 01, 2014
Thank your God for ur life, bt it is totally despicable of the so-called brake master to award u a free ticket to heaven !

But it is more surprising that you literally put your life in dat guy's hand. had a brake failure two weeks ago but it was d outcome was minimal as the car slowly reversed into a shallow gutter . Not funny still and had to have my master and servo (or whatever its called) replaced .
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Alenkakent(m): 9:20am On Aug 01, 2014
adanny01:

From the part you shifted to park. That is very risky and would definately damage you car
Yea I know its very risky esp while my seat belt isn't working but dat was my last option
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Bootybuttchic(f): 9:25am On Aug 01, 2014
Alenkakent:
Make I paste the pin here? Which network u want?
damn u seriousss?
grin ...dis neew mont go gud oo....dont paste it hereoooo....pm ....mtn grin
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 01, 2014
adanny01:

People are funny
So you mean the transmission is better than his life or what
Dayum I'd do anything to my Charger to make it stop
Tho my break's are big and I have never had a failure over 3yrs
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by stinggy(m): 9:42am On Aug 01, 2014
Bootybuttchic: damn u seriousss?
grin ...dis neew mont go gud oo....dont paste it hereoooo....pm ....mtn grin

share with me too oo, we use same network wink cheesy
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Bootybuttchic(f): 9:48am On Aug 01, 2014
stinggy:

share with me too oo, we use same network wink cheesy
for wia ..you knw see ya username grin
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Alenkakent(m): 9:50am On Aug 01, 2014
instinctg: Thank your God for ur life, bt it is totally despicable of the so-called brake master to award u a free ticket to heaven !

But it is more surprising that you literally put your life in dat guy's hand. had a brake failure two weeks ago but it was d outcome was minimal as the car slowly reversed into a shallow gutter . Not funny still and had to have my master and servo (or whatever its called) replaced .
Now @ d brake master's shop again to rectify whatever happened and put the brake oil...
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by stinggy(m): 9:57am On Aug 01, 2014
Bootybuttchic: for wia ..you knw see ya username grin
no mind dt one joor... oya naw, shebi oga don snd am. I dey wait u oo
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by washburn(m): 11:43am On Aug 01, 2014
hope it's not what I'm thinking
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by lonelydora: 11:50am On Aug 01, 2014
I cannot believe you bought a car and did all these out of ignorance.

1. Replacing brake fluid with ordinary water (not even OMO + water solution as my friend's father used to do in his Peugeot 404 pick-up van when we were kids.) You need to learn about what we call viscosity.

2. You shifted your gear from DRIVE to PARK and then to REVERSE, without realising you could damage your gear system. Next time you will come here and tell us that your car brand is not a good car to buy, that it is always having a gear problem

3. You allowed an illiterate mechanic to tell you what to do to your car, you bought with your hard earned money. NEVER ALLOW THAT MECHANIC TO COME CLOSE TO YOUR CAR AGAIN IN HIS LIFETIME.

4 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:24pm On Aug 01, 2014
In the future there's a thing called parking brakes (handbrake) it looks like the pic I attached, use it and don't panic next time think. Happy you didn't kill any one.

P.s I doubt you were going fast enough to kill your self.

Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by adanny01(m): 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
Readone35L:
People are funny
So you mean the transmission is better than his life or what
Dayum I'd do anything to my Charger to make it stop
Tho my break's are big and I have never had a failure over 3yrs

May be you are being funny. The part that he actually selected park and the car didnt stop is what i find hard to believe. Do you know what park is? Its a LOCKING mechanism that locks the transmission.

I have seen articles on how to stop a moving car after brake failure, i have not seen 'select park gear' as one of them. It could cause injury or worst lose control. Its unpredictable and could only lead to disaster.

2 Likes

Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
adanny01:

May be you are being funny. The part that he actually selected park and the car didnt stop is what i find hard to believe. Do you know what park is? Its a LOCKING mechanism that locks the transmission.

I have seen articles on how to stop a moving car after brake failure, i have not seen 'select park gear' as one of them. It could cause injury or worst lose control. Its unpredictable and could only lead to disaster.

Putting a car in park while it is moving will not cause is freeze up instantly (from experience with several cars) it will make a funny noise and freeze when ur very slow like 5km per hour.

Its the best recipe to damage an automatic transmission, but also a last resort after every method fails.
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Cruisez: 6:15pm On Aug 01, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
Its the best recipe to damage an automatic transmission, but also a last resort after every method fails.

Truth can be so blunt and bitter.
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
adanny01:

U didnt get my point I wasn't talking about the risk
But if that would stop the vehicle and safe the op's life then it should be done.
A dead soul can't achieve
A but a living poor man can buy a Pagani Zonda tomorrow

Note : not all transmission locks
Like in op's case

MI accord 05 I use b4 I bought my dodge charger ...i was to go gt something in ikeja. So my friend decided to drive .before the journey started in my area at festac. He said my brake was behaving funny.later during the journey he was on 70-80kmph on this oshodi road when the wanted to make a turn he said the brake has failed suddenly the speed was increasing no break oh
It went down than a manual cluth self
He tried errtihn ...before I could say jack he threw my transmission in park. w.t.f
Omo I no notice anitin joor
Nothing locked
He then put it back in neutral and switched of the engine. He quickly turned to the highway ...speed reducing until a final stop
I sat inside the car for 5mins
Thinking of my life
Fastfoward
The mech said I had a bad breakpad and broken brake oil pipe
So I don't know what happens BTW d tranny without locking the wheels in park
The tranny still works till date.
With any issues
Even tho I drive my dodge more than d accord
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by adanny01(m): 10:34pm On Aug 01, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
Putting a car in park while it is moving will not cause is freeze up instantly (from experience with several cars) it will make a funny noise and freeze when ur very slow like 5km per hour.
Readone35L:

U didnt get my point I wasn't talking about the risk
But if that would stop the vehicle and safe the op's life then it should be done.
A dead soul can't achieve
A but a living poor man can buy a Pagani Zonda tomorrow

Note : not all transmission locks
Like in op's case

MI accord 05 I use b4 I bought my dodge charger ...i was to go gt something in ikeja. So my friend decided to drive .before the journey started in my area at festac. He said my brake was behaving funny.later during the journey he was on 70-80kmph on this oshodi road when the wanted to make a turn he said the brake has failed suddenly the speed was increasing no break oh
It went down than a manual cluth self
He tried errtihn ...before I could say jack he threw my transmission in park. w.t.f
Omo I no notice anitin joor
Nothing locked
He then put it back in neutral and switched of the engine. He quickly turned to the highway ...speed reducing until a final stop
I sat inside the car for 5mins
Thinking of my life
Fastfoward
The mech said I had a bad breakpad and broken brake oil pipe
So I don't know what happens BTW d tranny without locking the wheels in park
The tranny still works till date.
With any issues
Even tho I drive my dodge more than d accord

I got your point quite well and am not contesting the fact that human life is not worth more comparable to a damaged car or a destroyed one.

Not withstanding, selecting Park in that scenerio is still risky and a bad idea that amounts to waste of valuable time and effort in bringing the car to stop.

I know about the mechanism which stops the park pin to fall in place while still moving until the car stops. Why do you think the mechanism was used in the first place? If that preventive mechanism fails to stop the pin from locking, and the wheels lock, the scenerio will change from a potentially dangerous one to a certainly dangerous one especially at higher speeds. You will be certain of losing control from locked skidding wheels (exactly what ABS is designed to avoid) leading you to an unknown situation.

Hand brake is what an experienced driver should use as in most cases that i know, its a cable and may not have failed with the brake which is usually hydraulic.

In addition, for an automatic gear its still possible to downshift as recommended on manual gears. Best way to go about it is shift from 4-3-2-1 or continously tap (-) minus to decrease gear or which ever type the driver is is using. Also note that while on manual gear you can turn off engine for better engine braking, not so on automatic as you will lose the ability to use engine braking.

Panic is the worst thing a driver in such a brake failure situation will do. On automatic trans, turning off engine, park gear and reverse gear are no go areas.

Putting park gear will do one of the two, 1) nothing or 2) lock your wheels. Both are totally unacceptable. Imagine having locked wheels, then skidding towards an oncoming trailer or tree or any other stationary object and certainly no ability to steer away. What a death sentence?

I'd rather drive off the road steering away from obstacles than engage park.

1 Like

Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Nobody: 12:35am On Aug 02, 2014
adanny01:

I got your point quite well and am not contesting the fact that human life is not worth more comparable to a damaged car or a destroyed one.

Not withstanding, selecting Park in that scenerio is still risky and a bad idea that amounts to waste of valuable time and effort in bringing the car to stop.

I know about the mechanism which stops the park pin to fall in place while still moving until the car stops. Why do you think the mechanism was used in the first place? If that preventive mechanism fails to stop the pin from locking, and the wheels lock, the scenerio will change from a potentially dangerous one to a certainly dangerous one especially at higher speeds. You will be certain of losing control from locked skidding wheels (exactly what ABS is designed to avoid) leading you to an unknown situation.

Hand brake is what an experienced driver should use as in most cases that i know, its a cable and may not have failed with the brake which is usually hydraulic.

In addition, for an automatic gear its still possible to downshift as recommended on manual gears. Best way to go about it is shift from 4-3-2-1 or continously tap (-) minus to decrease gear or which ever type the driver is is using. Also note that while on manual gear you can turn off engine for better engine braking, not so on automatic as you will lose the ability to use engine braking.

Panic is the worst thing a driver in such a brake failure situation will do. On automatic trans, turning off engine, park gear and reverse gear are no go areas.

Putting park gear will do one of the two, 1) nothing or 2) lock your wheels. Both are totally unacceptable. Imagine having locked wheels, then skidding towards an oncoming trailer or tree or any other stationary object and certainly no ability to steer away. What a death sentence?

I'd rather drive off the road steering away from obstacles than engage park.

I understand you my brother nice explanation tho
But all is well
we are here to learn from each other
....I want too rest
Had a stressful day
At least apapa road is beta nau
No much traffic again
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by Alenkakent(m): 11:08am On Aug 02, 2014
@ all, thanks for d contribution but I still insist that shifting my gear into brake was my last resort and I had to do it... I wasn't on a main road, I was already in my street and I was moving @ abt 10km/hr but d speed started increasing when d brake failed ... I tried d hand brake but it was not moving (stuck) and I just had to use the park which didn't work still but d reverse stopped d car...
I went back to d brake master yesterday morning and I discovered d guy who attended to me was still an apprentice but a senior cos he had about 4 other boys helping him which made me bliv he was d oga as they were calling him...
It was yesterday that I discovered the real oga who finally solved the problem... D right front wheel is still leaking tho so I'm yet to enjoy d brake...
Re: How I Escaped Death Tonite by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:02pm On Aug 02, 2014
"D right front wheel is still leaking tho so I'm yet to enjoy d brake..."

Stop using that car untill you solve all the brake probems before it becomes a coffin.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stolen Vehicle / Honda Malfunctions / How Reliable Are Chevrolet Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.