Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:07 PM

A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared (4685 Views)

Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / My Experience With My Perverted Lecturer / My Experience With My School's Bursar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by fairheven: 4:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
@OP.still on money mata...how come people from Uk tend to be very stingy (as in,aka aradite)abi na the too much hustling wey u dey talk about?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
ignis: Very nice and informative thread...

Am about to start application for Msc at a university in UK. I was told the university is going to resume next month September. Am about doing the application through their agent here in Nigeria.

Hope its not too late.

well , UK universities normally sends in details of the activities you are meant to participate in right from resumption. Check when you are expected to resume and compare it your expected time of receiving your visa. Mine was rejected the first time and by the time I re-applied and got it in September I had only one week to finish up my registration and by then my first module had been completed and it had to do with essay writings, dissertation etc Don't miss it because you need that knowledge throughout every module you take. In my school you wont be accepted to register once it is closed. UKBA is aware of that and may a times delay Students visas so as to have an excuse to deny them. I wish you the best.
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
fairheven: @OP.still on money mata...how come people from Uk tend to be very stingy (as in,aka aradite)abi na the too much hustling wey u dey talk about?

ma guy, no be their fault oh. A lot of people share the same perception with you but its better experienced than described. You pay bills and you may be on a budget and if one pound form your monthly budget is affected it can lead to a crisis. UK is not a country for unforeseen circumstances like a car break down during the course of the month. In naija your mech can even fix your car for you for free and you pay him when ever you have funds. In the UK most people don't have that luxury.Most live on a fixed budget. Another thing I have noticed is that human nature is averse to giving. Some in the UK are quite comfortable but just like any selfish human would coin out any excuse not to give claiming the unfriendly environment of the UK. Also some folks at home are too demanding since to them their perception is that the streets of UK is paved with pounds

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by bosun11(m): 4:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
bjims:

ma guy, no be their fault oh. A lot of people share the same perception with you but its better experienced than described. You pay bills and you may be on a budget and if one pound form your monthly budget is affected it can lead to a crisis. UK is not a country for unforeseen circumstances like a car break down during the course of the month. In naija your mech can even fix your car for you for free and you pay him when ever you have funds. In the UK most people don't have that luxury.Most live on a fixed budget. Another thing I have noticed is that human nature is averse to giving. Some in the UK are quite comfortable but just like any selfish human would coin out any excuse not to give claiming the unfriendly environment of the UK. Also some folks at home are too demanding since to them their perception is that the streets of UK is paved with pounds

spot on man, things aint rosy here and to get to the top requires stages and a lot of sacrifices......................experience is the best teacher!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nihilist: 5:24pm On Aug 04, 2014
If you smoke be prepared.

Smoking is VERY expensive here.

No aboki selling sticks, and it costs around 5 pounds for a pack of 10 in most shops

Igbo is even worse, here weed is sold by weight
a gram of weed costs 10 pounds(10-bag)

2 grams cost 20 pounds(20-bag)

Though in some cities up north, you can get up to an eight(3.5g) for the same 20 quid

A gram is only enough to roll 2 joints, so most peeps including myself smoke blunts(Igbo mixed with tobacco) instead.

A word to the wise, due to the advanced hydroponics involved in growing the THC-heavy strains here, some of you might find the Igbo here stronger than what you're used to...so go very easy at first and gauge yourself

Oh you might also want to purchase a small set of digital scales to weigh your purchase...some of the dealers here will think nothing of ripping you off if they know you're new in town.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Urine: 5:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
I think the OP has tried, you might feel a bit detached in your first week at Uni, it happens to most Nigerians especially if you're in for a technical course. Don't give up or be discouraged within a couple of weeks you will blend in.

Don't let your "per hour" disturb your education, the only PT job I had was with M&S and it was cool cos my mangers made sure my job didn't clash with lectures. (The pay was good too).

Make friends with good people, when things were a bit hard for me, my mates always stood by me and I also returned the favour.

Study hard, why are you in the UK? You have to face your work. (Uche style)

Have fun; these are the memories you will cherish for ever. Once a week visit your Uni's club/bar to let off some steam. it's always good.

STAY AWAY FROM BRITISH LASSES IF YOU ARE A GUY! There are many Nigerian/African ladies you can mingle with.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nihilist: 6:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
Lest I forget, it is IMPORTANT to think 2-3 steps ahead from the get go.

Do you want to stay in the UK after your course or are you going back?

If you intend to stay, then you need to start planning for job and sponsorships.

The recruitment process for graduate jobs in September start in December/January before( I think) so you need to get busy ASAP.

If you get into a relationship with a British passport holder you intended to be with, you will want to move in with him/her and get joint accounts/bills ASAP

Time goes so quickly, and you easily find yourself at the airport wishing you'd planned ahead...

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
Nihilist: Lest I forget, it is IMPORTANT to think 2-3 steps ahead from the get go.

Do you want to stay in the UK after your course or are you going back?

If you intend to stay, then you need to start planning for job and sponsorships.

The recruitment process for graduate jobs in September start in December/January before( I think) so you need to get busy ASAP.

If you get into a relationship with a British passport holder you intended to be with, you will want to move in with him/her and get joint accounts/bills ASAP

Time goes so quickly, and you easily find yourself at the airport wishing you'd planned ahead...

You filled in the gaps I missed. The problem with finding a Job is that unlike in previous years when you are given two years to stay back it is now 6 months and by the time the 6 months is over Dec/Jan is already on you and you need to leave. You would have to be extremely aggressive in order to get a job and make sure you have no carry overs.
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 04, 2014
Urine: I think the OP has tried, you might feel a bit detached in your first week at Uni, it happens to most Nigerians especially if you're in for a technical course. Don't give up or be discouraged within a couple of weeks you will blend in.

Don't let your "per hour" disturb your education, the only PT job I had was with M&S and it was cool cos my mangers made sure my job didn't clash with lectures. (The pay was good too).

Make friends with good people, when things were a bit hard for me, my mates always stood by me and I also returned the favour.

Study hard, why are you in the UK? You have to face your work. (Uche style)

Have fun; these are the memories you will cherish for ever. Once a week visit your Uni's club/bar to let off some steam. it's always good.

STAY AWAY FROM BRITISH LASSES IF YOU ARE A GUY! There are many Nigerian/African ladies you can mingle with.

you are one of the lucky ones . I tried to work part time immediately I got to the UK but no show. It was a good thing I had alternatives. Would have had to run back home or elope with a british...both prospects which would have been unpalatable
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Urine: 8:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
bjims:

you are one of the lucky ones . I tried to work part time immediately I got to the UK but no show. It was a good thing I had alternatives. Would have had to run back home or elope with a british...both prospects which would have been unpalatable

I wasn't that lucky bro, I got that job months after I got to the UK. I know someone that got a job the next day after her NI number was issued. Some people get lucky, some don't. I had saved a bit before leaving naija and also had good mates so that was my saving grace.

I strongly agree with the eloping with a British woman part...it's scary.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by bskyb(m): 9:56pm On Aug 04, 2014
Are students now allowed to stay back in the UK after their masters?
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 10:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
bskyb: Are students now allowed to stay back in the UK after their masters?

Students are allowed to stay only for 6 months.
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by WoodcrestMayor(m): 11:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
Loool...make we leave am low key wink
bjims:

grin...u too sabi that thing. Oyinbo girls wahala is more manageable. I don't want the feminists breathing down my neck
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by bidibudi: 11:28pm On Aug 04, 2014
hi talking about wat u said about time giving to work
u made mention of some persons allowed to work 80 hrs, how possible is that cos all i see and read about is 20 hrs work time
And as for the licence issue,hw about getting an international drivers licence from 9ja rather than spending 1000 pounds for a drivers licence in the UK?
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Pronmix(m): 12:04am On Aug 05, 2014
bidibudi: hi talking about wat u said about time giving to work
u made mention of some persons allowed to work 80 hrs, how possible is that cos all i see and read about is 20 hrs work time
20 hours per week x 4 weeks = 80 hours in a month that's what he meant...

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by bosun11(m): 12:05am On Aug 05, 2014
Pronmix: 20 hours per week x 4 weeks = 80 hours in a month that's what he meant...

20hrs per week so how many hours per day then
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Pronmix(m): 12:19am On Aug 05, 2014
bosun11:

20hrs per week so how many hours per day then
It is up to you to divide it the way it works for you and also how your employer wants it. It just shouldn't be more than 20 hours at the end of the week.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by ocheejemb: 12:36am On Aug 05, 2014
Nihilist: If you smoke be prepared.

Smoking is VERY expensive here.

No aboki selling sticks, and it costs around 5 pounds for a pack of 10 in most shops

Igbo is even worse, here weed is sold by weight
a gram of weed costs 10 pounds(10-bag)

2 grams cost 20 pounds(20-bag)

Though in some cities up north, you can get up to an eight(3.5g) for the same 20 quid

A gram is only enough to roll 2 joints, so most peeps including myself smoke blunts(Igbo mixed with tobacco) instead.

A word to the wise, due to the advanced hydroponics involved in growing the THC-heavy strains here, some of you might find the Igbo here stronger than what you're used to...so go very easy at first and gauge yourself

Oh you might also want to purchase a small set of digital scales to weigh your purchase...some of the dealers here will think nothing of ripping you off if they know you're new in town.
lloooollll...what?
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 05, 2014
bidibudi: hi talking about wat u said about time giving to work
And as for the licence issue,hw about getting an international drivers licence from 9ja rather than spending 1000 pounds for a drivers licence in the UK?

Yeah getting an International driving license will save you all the trouble and cost but hey there is no harm getting a UK drivesr license. It gives you leverage to drive in a lot of countries like those in the EU. 20 hours per week * 4 weeks makes 80 wks
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by bosun11(m): 3:10pm On Aug 05, 2014
bjims:

the issue with UK is where the town you study. You can get rooms for as cheap as 200 pounds in some towns and above 400 pounds in some towns. Its like schooling in Abuja and Ibadan. Its far cheaper in IB

200 pounds is okay though....i also hear of 700 pounds per accomodation...it will definately get better

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by bosun11(m): 9:57pm On Aug 05, 2014
bjims:

yeah am rounding up next month

congrats in advance man..u on visa right ?? how many years or months ...?? say a year and half...mean ur msc programme
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by bosun11(m): 9:58pm On Aug 05, 2014
simplex2:

Yea, you know it was quite an epistle and you had to quote the entire epistle over again! Are you that dumb?

i reserve my comments...
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 06, 2014
bosun11:

congrats in advance man..u on visa right ?? how many years or months ...?? say a year and half...mean ur msc programme

1yr 4months
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by bosun11(m): 9:03pm On Aug 06, 2014
bjims:

1yr 4months

cool......all d best hommie

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:23pm On Aug 06, 2014
As the days get closer, I keep wondering if an msc in the uk is worth the troubles?
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by bosun11(m): 10:35pm On Aug 06, 2014
GeneralShepherd: As the days get closer, I keep wondering if an msc in the uk is worth the troubles?

re u still wondering ? you could try america and canada if you want
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 08, 2014
GeneralShepherd: As the days get closer, I keep wondering if an msc in the uk is worth the troubles?

when you mean days, are you talking from a spiritual perspective? If so did you eat this morning, did you make plans to go to office , did you make plans to change jobs....as long as the days have not yet come upon us you better keep adding value to your life
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by balogundayo(m): 7:01pm On Aug 08, 2014
hello op, i am coming in this september too, just some things to tidy up then jump on the next flight to uk....ur explanation is ;Dvery good grin...i am satisfied i wanna knw if i would be given stay for my education der or just 4 years staight, am coming in as an undergaduate, why is everyb one after msc, hey is there no one goin for bsc undergraduate programme....plz comment on my topic, ur views are needed asap....https://www.nairaland.com/1849077/guys-need-ur-asap

Also i dont mind if i can have ur bbm pin or wassup number op, so we can rub minds...i'm a young chap, 18...i am really in need of someone i can directly relate to over der from here..whatsapp- 08137015797...bbm-7901e7f3....Thank you...
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 11, 2014
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 5:07pm On Aug 12, 2014
balogundayo: hello op, i am coming in this september too, just some things to tidy up then jump on the next flight to uk....ur explanation is ;Dvery good grin...i am satisfied i wanna knw if i would be given stay for my education der or just 4 years staight, am coming in as an undergaduate, why is everyb one after msc, hey is there no one goin for bsc undergraduate programme....plz comment on my topic, ur views are needed asap....https://www.nairaland.com/1849077/guys-need-ur-asap

Also i dont mind if i can have ur bbm pin or wassup number op, so we can rub minds...i'm a young chap, 18...i am really in need of someone i can directly relate to over der from here..whatsapp- 08137015797...bbm-7901e7f3....Thank you...

well I have no knowledge of undergraduate visas, I could help you find out though, also be careful of how you display your phone nos and bbm in, your identity generally. You can't be too cautious
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Emmasonic4me: 5:09pm On Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the info @OP. Its very informative!
Re: A Thread For Students Coming To The UK: My Experience Shared by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
Guestartiste: Hello OP. Pls help me out.I have HND in bus admin n management. I want to come to the Uk on a student visa. Pls does all the school over there require payment before coming over? Is there any school that doesn't require payment at all?
And if I want to come with a visiting visa can my boyfriend who is in the UK be my sponsor. He is a Briton.I don't av a good job that they may think I'll like to get back to so I think the student visa is the best way out.
What do u think I should do?

well I know some schools allow part payment say 70% but it is left for the UKBA to issue the visa or not. In my case they said I should pay all which I had to do. I doubt if your boyfriend can be your sponsor since you have no legal backing to the relationship although he may be able to do that if he has the funds to pay your fees. The UKBA will know the status of his account

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Until You Do These 12 Things, You Are Not Matured / How Much Does A Lecturer In Nigeria Earn As Salary These Days? / Nau(unizik) Post-ume 2012/2013 Date Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.