Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:32 AM

How African Is North Africa? - BBC - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How African Is North Africa? - BBC (2503 Views)

The White Slaves Of Barbary(north Africa) / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 3:30pm On Aug 04, 2014
[b]" Seen from space, Africa is one huge and undivided landmass.

But for some on the continent, however, the widely-held perception is of two very different regions; Africa south of the Sahara desert, or sub-Saharan Africa, and north Africa.

For some, the dividing line is more than the Sahara - it is culture, language and even skin tone.

North Africa is predominantly Arab and relatively more developed. Many residents identify more with the Middle East than they do with the larger part of the continent.

Hundreds of people from the south migrate to the north in search of greener pastures - but they are often met with hostility.

But when it comes to an African identity, some sub-Saharan Africans believe they have more claim to the continent than their northern counterparts.

On the other hand, the formation of the African Union in 2002 was a great leap forward in the effort to drive forward common action throughout the continent.

And issues that are crippling the continent are just as relevant in the north as the south - Egypt and Libya are suffering from greatly increased rates of HIV and Aids, just as Southern Africa is.

On the BBC's Africa Live Programme on Wednesday, we ask just how African is north Africa?

Does culture and language link the region more to the Arab world, or should geography be the deciding factor? "[/b]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3421527.stm

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by otipoju(m): 4:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
A Nigerian Hausa-Fulani man will rather support Zamalek of Egypt than Shooting Stars of Ibadan in a CAF champions leauge final match. I think a common Religion is the bond that bindss them all.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 4:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
otipoju: A Nigerian Hausa-Fulani man will rather support Zamalek of Egypt than Shooting Stars of Ibadan in a CAF champions leauge final match. I think a common Religion is the bond that bindss them all.

Really? Please tell me more I learn new things everyday.

Also OP, not necessarily true. There are lots of blacks in North Africa, though not as much as before. North Africa still is pretty African just not as much as before.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by tpia1: 4:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
Black is not really seen as a good thing to be, and most non-blacks (or partially mixed blacks who are not black) would consider it their greatest fear to be relegated to "black" status. Quite unacceptable.

Northern africa shares ancestral and phenotypical ties with the middle east and europe, are they supposed to ignore that?

2 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 4:18pm On Aug 04, 2014
tpia1: Black is not really seen as a god thing to be, and most non-blacks (or partially mixed blacks who are not black) would consider it their greatest fear to be relegated to "black" status. Quite unacceptable.

Northern africa shares ancestral and phenotypical ties with the middle east and europe, are they supposed to ignore that?

You are right, but not all North Africans are white. The Gnawa, the Saharawis (Saharouis), Touaregs, even the descendants of the Kanem Borno empire of today. North Africans are a result mainly though of Arabs, Romans, Greeks, Turks and native Africans
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:
Really? Please tell me more I learn new things everyday.
Also OP, not necessarily true. There are lots of blacks in North Africa, though not as much as before. North Africa still is pretty African just not as much as before.

Well I think the link that connects North Africa to being Africa is it's history(Egyptian empire and Nubians) and geography but besides that they are culturally and loyal completely to the middle East.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 4:24pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

Well I think the link that connects North Africa to being Africa is it's history(Egyptian empire and Nubians) and geography but besides that they are culturally and loyal completely to the middle East.

Yeah however, North Africa is not the North Africa it was 2000 - 5000 years ago
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:25pm On Aug 04, 2014
tpia1: Black is not really seen as a god thing to be, and most non-blacks (or partially mixed blacks who are not black) would consider it their greatest fear to be relegated to "black" status. Quite unacceptable.

Very true and that is the reason for them not wanting to be labeled or grouped with the rest of Africa, which is fine but it comes down to the question Is North Africa less african now because of their efforts to distant themselves so much from it.

tpia1:

They also share cultural ties to as well and it shouldn't be ignored
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:28pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yeah however, North Africa is not the North Africa it was 2000 - 5000 years ago

True, and The North Africa of today is another Middle East now. When people think of Africa now when it comes to Image and Culture, what pops into their minds is West, East, Southern Africa, central Africa, even horn of Africa to a extent but not North Africa, and that shows the extent of how North Africa has been excluded in peoples mind of Africa in general.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:29pm On Aug 04, 2014
otipoju: A Nigerian Hausa-Fulani man will rather support Zamalek of Egypt than Shooting Stars of Ibadan in a CAF champions leauge final match. I think a common Religion is the bond that bindss them all.

I never knew this but I wouldn't be surprised by this though
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 4:32pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

I never knew this but I wouldn't be surprised by this though

And you believe it?
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:34pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

And you believe it?

well I don't know cause I never heard of this of what Otipoju had mentioned but I have noticed that in some black african counties who are predominantly Muslim, tend to favor their religion over their culture, look at Sudan, Mali, Chad and Niger

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

You are right, but not all North Africans are white. The Gnawa, the Saharawis (Saharouis), Touaregs, even the descendants of the Kanem Borno empire of today. North Africans are a result mainly though of Arabs, Romans, Greeks, Turks and native Africans

True but some of them are discriminated against

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 4:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

well I don't know cause I never heard of this but I have noticed that in some black african who are predominantly Muslim, tend to favor their religion over their culture, look at Mali, Chad and Niger

That's not necessarily true. In Mali and Niger, they don't have a very liking relationship with Arabs. In fact in a lot of black Muslim countries save Nigeria, many Africans know how racist Arabs can be. Most black Africans think that Arabs see themselves as the only true Muslims.

This can be seen in Senegal, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, etc.

Nigeria though is another story and I don't know why. There are white wannabes and Arab wannabes. Some like myself could care less about Arabs.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 4:41pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

True but some of them are discriminated against

Yeah they are, Arabs can be just as racist as whites if not more so at times. Arabs are even more racist in the middle east. I've heard some bad stories of Arabs being racist to Africans in Saudi Arabia. I dare a racist Arab to approach me with his bull crap racism and sees if his face is still intact after I'm done with him.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by otipoju(m): 4:42pm On Aug 04, 2014
I spent my NYSC year in Kano- it is what I saw with my own eyes at a football viewing center in the village of Minjibir during a CAF champions leauge match between a North African Club and a Nigerian Clubside.

When I noticed that I was the odd one out. I just kept quiet.

I am not denying anybody the right to support whoever, and I am not judging anybody, - I just stated my conclusion based on my primary observation.

For better emphasis, why would a group of people not be pertubed about the bombings of their countrymen but be gravely worried to the extent of peacefully protesting on the streets in support of a people far away in Gaza.

Let's not look for what is not missing... The ties of Religion is the unifying factor.

3 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by macof(m): 4:45pm On Aug 04, 2014
Did u just say North Africa is more advanced?? Wat rubbish angry that useless desert region undecided

The only thing pure African and black about North Africa was Nubia and some parts of Egypt, now Egypt and Sudan like other North African countries are nothing but Arab shiit holes.
I pity for the few remaining true black Africans in body and consciousness

4 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2014
otipoju: I spent my NYSC year in Kano- it is what I saw with my own eyes at a football viewing center in the village of Minjibir during a CAF champions leauge match between a North African Club and a Nigerian Clubside.

I am not denying anybody the right to support whoever, and I am not judging anybody, - I just stated my conclusion based on my primary observation.

I would have said something, you can't just keep quiet and sit idle like a sissy if what you are saying is really true. Do you think that if I were in the south and I saw Nigerians supporting Arsenal or Chelsea above Kano Pillars that I would be happy and say nothing? Heck no! I would call those white wannabes out immediately.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:50pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

That's not necessarily true. In Mali and Niger, they don't have a very liking relationship with Arabs. In fact in a lot of black Muslim countries save Nigeria, many Africans know how racist Arabs can be. Most black Africans think that Arabs see themselves as the only true Muslims.

This can be seen in Senegal, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, etc.

Nigeria though is another story and I don't know why. There are white wannabes and Arab wannabes. Some like myself could care less about Arabs.

Well when you hear in the news how alqaida has a influence in Mali, it makes you wonder at times but It is true I have heard that Arabs consider themselves the true Muslims. I didn't know this about northern Nigeria though with some Hausa-fulani's though, i think the main reason is the mentality when it comes to religion is different between northern and southern Nigeria.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yeah they are, Arabs can be just as racist as whites if not more so at times. Arabs are even more racist in the middle east. I've heard some bad stories of Arabs being racist to Africans in Saudi Arabia. I dare a racist Arab to approach me with his bull crap racism and sees if his face is still intact after I'm done with him.

I agree with what you just said, some are nice but many are another story, and I won't be surprised that's one of the reasons why the exclusion of North Africa has become a norm now with the rest of Africa as a result.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:54pm On Aug 04, 2014
otipoju: I spent my NYSC year in Kano- it is what I saw with my own eyes at a football viewing center in the village of Minjibir during a CAF champions leauge match between a North African Club and a Nigerian Clubside.

For better emphasis, why would a group of people not be pertubed about the bombings of their countrymen but be gravely worried to the extent of peacefully protesting on the streets in support of a people far away in Gaza.

Let's not look for what is not missing... The ties of Religion is the unifying factor.

True religion unifies them together, not surprised. To me it is not a problem but it shouldn't be sugar coded
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 4:58pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

Well when you hear in the news how alqaida has a influence in Mali, it makes you wonder at times but It is true I have heard that Arabs consider themselves the true Muslims. I didn't know this about northern Nigeria though with some Hausa-fulani's though, i think the main reason is the mentality when it comes to religion is different between northern and southern Nigeria.

They didn't have an influence they took Northern Mali over due to an incompetent Malian army. They killed many Non-Arabs as well. The distrust between Non-Arab Malians and Malians grew because they felt that the Arabs in Mali betrayed them.

Malians didn't want anything to do with Al-Qaeda. Heck many important events in Mali were cancelled due to Al-Qaeda acquisition. Events like festival in the desert had to be moved to Burkina Faso that year, an event that many Westerners attend to listen to traditional West African Sahel/Sahara music.

I advise you take what you hear about Northerners with a grain of salt on these forums. In case you didn't notice there are a lot of anti-Northern bigots here. While it is true that there are Arab wannabes in the North, the same can be said about white wannabes in the south.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 5:00pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

I would have said something, you can't just keep quiet and sit idle like a sissy if what you are saying is really true. Do you think that if I were in the south and I saw Nigerians supporting Arsenal or Chelsea above Kano Pillars that I would be happy and say nothing? Heck no! I would call those white wannabes out immediately.

It is not that easy though, especially in a Muslim territory that is not as accommodating to differences. He could have gotten beat up just by saying something and don't be surprised if nobody helped him.

2 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 5:02pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

It is not that easy though, especially in a Muslim territory that is not as accommodating to differences. He could have gotten beat up just by saying something and don't be surprised if nobody helped him.

Have you been to the North before. It is easy they are people too. Simply ask why do they support another team over their fellow Nigerian brothers and see how they respond. Don't be so easily brainwashed by what people say on forums
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 5:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

They didn't have an influence they took Northern Mali over due to an incompetent Malian army. They killed many Non-Arabs as well. The distrust between Non-Arab Malians and Malians grew because they felt that the Arabs in Mali betrayed them.

Malians didn't want anything to do with Al-Qaeda. Heck many important events in Mali were cancelled due to Al-Qaeda acquisition. Events like festival in the desert had to be moved to Burkina Faso that year, an event that many Westerners attend to listen to traditional West African Sahel/Sahara music.

I advise you take what you hear about Northerners with a grain of salt on these forums. In case you didn't notice there are a lot of anti-Northern bigots here. While it is true that there are Arab wannabes in the North, the same can be said about white wannabes in the south.

Oh yea southern Nigeria is not exempt from self hate as well and there are northern bigots to, I'm not denying that at all but heah when it comes to Mali I guess learn something new now about the situation going on there.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 5:07pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

Have you been to the North before. It is easy they are people too. Simply ask why do they support another team over their fellow Nigerian brothers and see how they respond. Don't be so easily brainwashed by what people say on forums

I never been to the North
well when you hear stories like this: http://www.wluml.org/node/3722
You won't be as comfortable doing that but don't worry I am not brainwashed with this forum is what I hear in the news
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 5:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

Oh yea southern Nigeria is not exempt from self hate as well and there are northern bigots to, I'm not denying that at all but heah when it comes to Mali I guess learn something new now about the situation going on there.

There are not even close to the amount of anti Northern bigots if at all on these forums. That's why there aren't many Northerners on this forum due to the bigotry and the Aboki name calling.... That is until you put the bigots in their rightful place
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by otipoju(m): 5:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

After studying Religion for 4 years in the university,perhaps Ihave a higher level of tolerance and open mindedness towards others.

Also can a cockroach win in a court of Hens?

The first day I entered Minjibir, someone told me how close I was to him slitting my throat without any consequence if I had admitted to being the corper that urinated in an uncompleted building that happened to. Be a mosque under construction.

Is it among people with such mindset that I would be arguing what is right or not right... Especially since I was a CRK teacher at the Federal Government Girls College in the town.

My mother raised no fool oo.

3 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 5:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

There are not even close to the amount of anti Northern bigots if at all on these forums. That's why there aren't many Northerners on this forum due to the bigotry and the Aboki name calling.... That is until you put the bigots in their rightful place

That is true but there are other tribal bigots to, if you go to the ethnic section under politics they are there 24/7, even in this culture section it happens but few though, like that thread I told you about that had to be closed.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 5:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
otipoju:

After studying Religion for 4 years in the university,perhaps Ihave a higher level of tolerance and open mindedness towards others.

The first day I entered Minjibir, someone told me how close I was to him slitting my throat without any consequence if I had admitted to being the corper that urinated in an uncompleted building that happened to. Be a mosque under construction.

Is it among people with such mindset that I would be arguing what is right or not right... Especially since I was a CRK teacher at the Federal Government Girls College in the town.

exactly, how can you speak to people with that type of mindset. It's either you speak up & get killed or keep quiet for your life
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 5:17pm On Aug 04, 2014
otipoju:

There are some extremists in this country no doubt and many of them reason as if they have no brain. Killing isn't permitted in Islam yet a lot of these robots claim to kill under the name of Islam. I think they are just heartless human beings to begin with. Many Muslims are not like that. I think there is something very wrong in Nigeria though compared to other African Muslim countries.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 5:18pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

That is true but there are other tribal bigots to, if you go to the ethnic section under politics they are there 24/7, even in this culture section it happens but few though, like that thread I told you about that had to be closed.

Lollll culture section will always be clean of bigotry. The politics section on the other hand is a lost cause

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Endangered Yoruba Words / Nostalgia Pix / Igbo.org

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.