Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,588 members, 7,955,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:33 PM

How African Is North Africa? - BBC - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How African Is North Africa? - BBC (2501 Views)

The White Slaves Of Barbary(north Africa) / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

I never been to the North
well when you hear stories like this: http://www.wluml.org/node/3722
You won't be as comfortable doing that but don't worry I am not brainwashed with this forum is what I hear in the news

Yeah that story is horrific no denying that
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by otipoju(m): 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

Have you been to the North before. It is easy they are people too. Simply ask why do they support another team over their fellow Nigerian brothers and see how they respond. Don't be so easily brainwashed by what people say on forums

I do not hate Northerners and I still like their direct and simple way of life. I made friends with a number of guys from that village. I played football every other evening with them and even arranged two Corpers versus Indigenes friendly matches...But I knew my boundaries, learnt to say " Asala mala ikum" when greeting and began to wear their native attire to blend in.

The man that told me he could have slit my throat was obviously relieved that he did not have to.

4 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 5:20pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

There are some extremists in this country no doubt and many of them reason as if they have no brain. Killing isn't permitted in Islam yet a lot of these robots claim to kill under the name of Islam. I think they are just heartless human beings to begin with. Many Muslims are not like that. I think there is something very wrong in Nigeria though compared to other African Muslim countries.

Thats the thing I wouldn't classify Nigeria as a Muslim or Christian country but a country that is a mixed and neutral buffer

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 5:22pm On Aug 04, 2014
otipoju:

I do not hate Northerners and I still like their direct and simple way of life. I made friends with a number of guys from that village. I played football every other evening with them ..But I knew my boundaries.

The man that told me he could have slit my throat was obviously relieved that he did not have to.

He shouldn't even be talking to you like that in the first place. The problem is that they are building a new mosque there instead of building a new school that educates people in the maths and sciences. Sometimes I think religion <> progress
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 5:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

Lollll culture section will always be clean of bigotry. The politics section on the other hand is a lost cause

lol, true. Do the moderators even do anything in the politics sections in the first place. any way the issues that we discussed when it comes to Nigeria rear its ugly head in a way when it comes to northern and southern Africa.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 5:24pm On Aug 04, 2014
anonymous6:

lol, true. Do the moderators even do anything in the politics sections in the first place. any way the issues that we discussed when it comes to Nigeria rear its ugly head in a way when it comes to northern and southern Africa.

I don't even know if the mods in the politics section know what they are doing. They seem to place bigoted threads on the front page

2 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2014
macof: Did u just say North Africa is more advanced?? Wat rubbish angry that useless desert region undecided

The only thing pure African and black about North Africa was Nubia and some parts of Egypt, now Egypt and Sudan like other North African countries are nothing but Arab shiit holes.
I pity for the few remaining true black Africans in body and consciousness

Some northern african countries are struggling & been struggling for a long time, so I don't get where they think it's advanced. If you see the comments section in the BBC article link, some had similar sentiments as you have as well.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 5:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

I don't even know if the mods in the politics section know what they are doing. They seem to place bigoted threads on the front page

yup I won't be surprised. I don't think they do anything to be honest

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by macof(m): 7:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
otipoju: I spent my NYSC year in Kano- it is what I saw with my own eyes at a football viewing center in the village of Minjibir during a CAF champions leauge match between a North African Club and a Nigerian Clubside.

When I noticed that I was the odd one out. I just kept quiet.

I am not denying anybody the right to support whoever, and I am not judging anybody, - I just stated my conclusion based on my primary observation.

For better emphasis, why would a group of people not be pertubed about the bombings of their countrymen but be gravely worried to the extent of peacefully protesting on the streets in support of a people far away in Gaza.

Let's not look for what is not missing... The ties of Religion is the unifying factor.
anonymous6:

well I don't know cause I never heard of this of what Otipoju had mentioned but I have noticed that in some black african counties who are predominantly Muslim, tend to favor their religion over their culture, look at Sudan, Mali, Chad and Niger
I feel this is as a result of the mind controlling power of religion and the fear that comes with it.
culture certainly has no "disobey and suffer" conditions so it has less mental grip on people
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 8:51pm On Aug 04, 2014
macof: I feel this is as a result of the mind controlling power of religion and the fear that comes with it.
culture certainly has no "disobey and suffer" conditions so it has less mental grip on people

True, I feel the Muslim religion particularly has a more "Eye for a Eye" mentality more then Christianity. Lets Thank God culture doesn't revolve over those rules
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by GooseBaba: 10:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
Fulaman198:

There are some extremists in this country no doubt and many of them reason as if they have no brain. Killing isn't permitted in Islam yet a lot of these robots claim to kill under the name of Islam. I think they are just heartless human beings to begin with. Many Muslims are not like that. I think there is something very wrong in Nigeria though compared to other African Muslim countries.

Hey Aboki.... Literally speaking.... grin

If killings is not permitted in Islam. Could you educate me on that thing called fatwa..
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
otipoju: A Nigerian Hausa-Fulani man will rather support Zamalek of Egypt than Shooting Stars of Ibadan in a CAF champions leauge final match. I think a common Religion is the bond that bindss them all.
big lie

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by tpia1: 3:07am On Aug 05, 2014
is the thread still about africa and north africa?
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 4:16am On Aug 05, 2014
tpia1: is the thread still about africa and north africa?

yes but side tracked to Northern and southern Nigeria debate, any way please post your opinions on the BBC article
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by tpia1: 6:39am On Aug 05, 2014
i already did, it was my first post on the thread.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Ghost01(m): 7:31am On Aug 05, 2014
Anyone who reads historical fictions like Colleen McCullough's Rome series will have a clear idea of just why North Africa has the composition, population-wise, it has today: Turks, Arabs, Greeks, Blacks, etc. It's more or less a melting point, though, in recent times, religion (Islam) has made it more conservative. As for the more-developed-than-the-rest-of-Africa line, I hiss.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Nobody: 8:02am On Aug 05, 2014
otipoju: A Nigerian Hausa-Fulani man will rather support Zamalek of Egypt than Shooting Stars of Ibadan in a CAF champions leauge final match. I think a common Religion is the bond that bindss them all.
I agree with you, but its not the religion(afterall there isa substantial number of muslims in ibadan
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by macof(m): 9:34am On Aug 05, 2014
anonymous6:

True, I feel the Muslim religion particularly has a more "Eye for a Eye" mentality more then Christianity. Lets Thank God culture doesn't revolve over those rules

True! All around the world we can see muslims are much more aggressive...fully devoted ones at that

Again it is only Africa that people frown at their own culture because a foreign religion dictates to do so
Why won't North Africa loose its "Africanness" when Islam is the first order of the day

3 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by kingston277(m): 5:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
macof: Did u just say North Africa is more advanced?? Wat rubbish angry that useless desert region undecided

The only thing pure African and black about North Africa was Nubia and some parts of Egypt, now Egypt and Sudan like other North African countries are nothing but Arab shiit holes.
I pity for the few remaining true black Africans in body and consciousness

Don't mind these self-haters. That what their masters have turned them into, intellectually lazy, self-loathing, forefather disrespecting cesspool. And the few remaining real Africans have to suffer for it.

3 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 7:44pm On Aug 05, 2014
macof:

True! All around the world we can see muslims are much more aggressive...fully devoted ones at that

Again it is only Africa that people frown at their own culture because a foreign religion dictates to do so
Why won't North Africa loose its "Africanness" when Islam is the first order of the day

I agree, that's why I'm not surprised that North Africa has already been excluded from Africa when it comes to representation and image of todays age but I feel it's beyond religion with them also.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by GooseBaba: 8:10pm On Aug 05, 2014
anonymous6:

I agree, that's why I'm not surprised that North Africa has already been excluded from Africa when it comes to representation and image of todays age but I feel it's beyond religion with them also.

Religion is 99%....nothing beyond... everything about their cultural/traditional practice hinges on religion.. The practices of their ancestors is considered despicable. They loathe themselves in order to fit in with their Arabian masters...

2 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 10:06pm On Aug 05, 2014
GooseBaba:

Religion is 99%....nothing beyond... everything about their cultural/traditional practice hinges on religion.. The practices of their ancestors is considered despicable. They loathe themselves in order to fit in with their Arabian masters...

well ok but I was wondering if there is a superiority complex when it comes to their race as well, if religion wasn't part of it I think some of them would still be doing some of their behaviors in a way
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by kingston277(m): 10:50pm On Aug 05, 2014
Fulaman198:

He shouldn't even be talking to you like that in the first place. The problem is that they are building a new mosque there instead of building a new school that educates people in the maths and sciences. Sometimes I think religion <> progress
I agree, secularism needs to be promoted badly.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 11:09pm On Aug 05, 2014
anonymous6:

well ok but I was wondering if there is a superiority complex when it comes to their race as well, if religion wasn't part of it I think some of them would still be doing some of their behaviors in a way

There may be a "superiority complex", but it is a very misplaced one. Look at what's happening in Libya for example right now. Arabs are not superior to blacks in any way. The people of North Africa as aforementioned have mix of genes from Romans, Greeks, Arabs, Indigenous Blacks, and Turks. A lot of them would prefer to associate themselves with the Arabs, Greeks, Romans and Turks than with blacks. Again, North Africans are not the only ones that I have seen not want to be associated with Africa. I know some Somalis like Enlightened would get mad at me for saying this, but horners I have met in the past don't want to be seen as black a lot of the times (and i find it surprising because they look black). North Africans in the far north like in cities like Casablanca, Algiers, Tripoli, etc. can make a case for themselves though since they are so mixed.

2 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 11:11pm On Aug 05, 2014
kingston277:
I agree, secularism needs to be promoted badly.

I agree, but you have to realise one thing. In countries that are not doing quite well from a financial or fiscal point of view often they turn to religion because instead of turning to their leaders and telling them enough is enough they turn to religion (because a lot of them are admittedly brainwashed).

You will find that in the more destitute of countries you will find overly religious zealots.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 1:15am On Aug 06, 2014
Fulaman198:

There may be a "superiority complex", but it is a very misplaced one. Look at what's happening in Libya for example right now. Arabs are not superior to blacks in any way. The people of North Africa as aforementioned have mix of genes from Romans, Greeks, Arabs, Indigenous Blacks, and Turks. A lot of them would prefer to associate themselves with the Arabs, Greeks, Romans and Turks than with blacks. Again, North Africans are not the only ones that I have seen not want to be associated with Africa. I know some Somalis like Enlightened would get mad at me for saying this, but horners I have met in the past don't want to be seen as black a lot of the times (and i find it surprising because they look black). North Africans in the far north like in cities like Casablanca, Algiers, Tripoli, etc. can make a case for themselves though since they are so mixed.

Agree, no argument there, I never considered them superior but the reason North Africans can get away with it as you say is because they are so mixed and most are arabs or look like arabs. Horners to a extent try to get away with it when its obvious nobody would follow in that delusion, so in the end of the day they are still considered Black african cause of their race and some of the culture is African but North Africans their African cultural connection is completely gone now.

I think it todays age most sub-Saharan Africans don't consider North Africans culturally connect to them But it doesn't bother them or concern them, it's like this invisible cut off they have with them. I have heard this statement from some non-North Africans when it comes to North Africans, even during the world cup when they bring up african soccer teams from Africa, nobody is thinking about the Algerian team, they are thinking of the Ghanian Black stars or Nigerian team, even though the Algerian team is good as well.
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 1:21am On Aug 06, 2014
anonymous6:

Agree, no argument there, I never considered them superior but the reason North Africans can get away with it as you say is because they are so mixed and most are arabs or look like arabs. Horners to a extent try to get away with it when its obvious nobody would follow in that delusion, so in the end of the day they are still considered Black african cause of their race and some of the culture is African but North Africans their African cultural connection is completely gone now.

I think it todays age most sub-Saharan Africans don't consider North Africans culturally connect to them But it doesn't bother them or concern them. I have heard this statement from some non-North Africans when it comes to North Africans, even during the world cup when they bring up african soccer teams from Africa, nobody is thinking about the Algerian team, they are thinking of the Ghanian Black stars or Nigerian team, even though the Algerian team is good as well.

Yah most Africans forgot that Algeria, an African team was in the World Cup. They only remembered, Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Cameroon. I have met some Algerians though who were as white as anything, and the guy was proud to be 'African'. It really surprised me. But I have not met many Algerians really, maybe 2 total my entire lifetime.

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 1:27am On Aug 06, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yah most Africans forgot that Algeria, an African team was in the World Cup. They only remembered, Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Cameroon. I have met some Algerians though who were as white as anything, and the guy was proud to be 'African'. It really surprised me. But I have not met many Algerians really, maybe 2 total my entire lifetime.

yeah true, I heard in the news that some north africans felt that North African teams tends to be ignored when it to comes to their connection to Africa or being part of the african team circle, especially during the 2010 world cup. I have bumped into a few North africans from Morroco, Egypt and Algeria and to be honest most are very nice but when to comes to their identification it is something else, there have been only three that called themselves african, 2 were females and one male(one was from Egypt and the other 2 were from Morocco).

2 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 1:45am On Aug 06, 2014
anonymous6:

yeah true, I heard in the news that some north africans felt that North African teams tends to be ignored when it to comes to their connection to Africa or being part of the african team circle, especially during the 2010 world cup. I have bumped into a few North africans from Morroco, Egypt and Algeria and to be honest most are very nice but when to comes to their identification it is something else, there have been only three that called themselves african, 2 were females and one male(one was from Egypt and the other 2 were from Morocco).

Very nice
Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 2:55pm On Aug 06, 2014
Fulaman198:
Very nice

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by gawu1: 10:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
anonymous6:

well I don't know cause I never heard of this of what Otipoju had mentioned but I have noticed that in some black african counties who are predominantly Muslim, tend to favor their religion over their culture, look at Sudan, Mali, Chad and Niger
To ascribed this mental set to muslims or northerners only is'nt it hypocrisy? It's our Nigerian mentality. I have seen a lot of forks prayed ernestly for a win for Argentines over Nigeria in the last world cup just because they were fans of Messi and Barcelona. So, it's not matter of religion or culture. Even a critical appraisal of the fork that brought this issue, one can judge from his tone that would favour any team other than from northern part winning caf cup. Take a look at our national team, despite Ahmed Musa's contribution to our winning the nation cup & qualification to last world cup a lot of voice mostly of southerners still suggested that he should be dropped from the last w/cup team during the selection. Musa scored two beautiful cum intelligence goals that later secured us second round yet no major headline in his credit from our southern dominated news media. Can you guess why?
Take a look at the massacre going on of palestines by the Israelis. I read a blog which tried to seek opinion of who should be blamed, Palestine or Israel. The muslims blamed israel, as the christians too laid blamed on the Palestine. The problems were that most analysis were not based on objectivity rather than religion affiliation & sentiment.
So we should not make it as if only the northerners or muslims are the guilty once on this. When America & west power conspired & dislodged undemocratically a democratically elected gov't in Egypt recently a lot of christians in nigeria couldn't hide their joy. What's you take on that? We are all guilty!!!

2 Likes

Re: How African Is North Africa? - BBC by gawu1: 10:12pm On Aug 08, 2014
anonymous6:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Contemporary Nigerian Societies / Some Endangered Yoruba Words / Nostalgia Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.