Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure (2627 Views)

Fresh Crisis Hits APC, Deputy National Publicity Scribe Asks Chairman To Resign / Peter Obi Appointed As Chairman Of SEC By President Jonathan / Akande Asks Lagos APC Chairman To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by DeCleff(m): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
President Jonathan Names
Former INEC Chairman, Maurice
Iwu To Committee To Research
Ebola Virus Cure

Nigeria’s Minister of Health,
Onyebuchi Chukwu, said the
committee was expected to
carry out research into the
treatment of the Ebola virus;
receive and verify claims relating to the treatment of the disease; collate and analyze
related research findings, and
advise the government on
policy for combating the
dreadful disease.

www.saharareporters.com/2014/08/04/president-jonathan-names-former-inec-chairman-maurice-iwu-committee-research-ebola-virus
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by sohl7(m): 7:17pm On Aug 04, 2014
Another way to steal money....as if they will find the cure.

5 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by eunisam: 7:22pm On Aug 04, 2014
iwu carry go.this time no politics.prove yourself to the world.
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by dulaman: 7:25pm On Aug 04, 2014
on a lighter note : in light of the recent scare of
ebola in Lagos I'm therefore using God Almighty
who created heaven and earth to beg everyone
wey im name get 'ebola' inside e.g. Adebola,
Okebola, Orebola, Oyebola, Ojebola, Otebola,
Debola etc not to attempt to shake or hug me
till further notice. Na GOD I take beg o!.....

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by omenka(m): 7:29pm On Aug 04, 2014
Another committee huh

The word "committee" just makes it sound like another wild goose chase.

5 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 04, 2014
If true, then really this the JOKE of the DAY. Just because he made a pronouncement that bitter kola can cure adEBOLA, he named him as a committee chairman? ok Jona, wait for me, I will make my declaration tomorrow, still consulting with my other self. I will declare the cure before weekend.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by waternogetenemy: 7:44pm On Aug 04, 2014
sohl7: Another way to steal money....as if they will find they cure.

Dont jump the Gun Sahara is not a credible source besides they are the only ones making such allegations as usual.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Descartes: 7:48pm On Aug 04, 2014
Good Move by FG. smiley
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by 7thCANON: 7:49pm On Aug 04, 2014
Appointment well deserved. Maurice Iwu is a world class pharmacist and researcher as shown in this google scholar search result http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=Maurice+Iwu&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=
His most recent outing is in the advancement of HIV/AIDS research
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/nigerias-maurice-iwu-others-record-breakthrough-in-hivaids-treatment/

6 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
I disagree with sahara reporters. Maurice Iwu is not the chairman of the committee but one Prof. Gamaliel and co-chaired by Prof. Aja.
That's what I heard on Channels TV o!

I stand to be corrected though

1 Like

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Descartes: 7:52pm On Aug 04, 2014
abuayman: If true, then really this the JOKE of the DAY . Just because he made a pronouncement that bitter kola can cure adEBOLA, he named him as a committee chairman? ok Jona, wait for me, I will make my declaration tomorrow, still consulting with my other self. I will declare the cure before weekend.
Are you like this
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:55pm On Aug 04, 2014
Jonathan desperately percifying all groups because of 2015.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 04, 2014
The Americans have got a promising cure(zMapp) already and we are still just setting up a committee to investigate bitter kola?

4 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by tonytony208(m): 8:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: Jonathan desperately percifying all groups because of 2015.

well, maybe it means gej is not as daft as pple think. He knows how to take his chances when they come. Ebola presents an opportunity to pacify and dear sharp jona took it without wasting time.
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by EvilBrain(m): 8:10pm On Aug 04, 2014
Maurice Iwu is a transparent fraudster and a liar. Anybody who knows anything about how viruses work or how drugs are developed can clearly see that that the man's claims to have found a cure are complete lies. A 5 second search on [url=http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=iwu+ebola&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=]Google Scholar[/url] will show that there is not a single paper written by or citing Iwu about Ebola or any other virus despite the man having claimed to have found a cure since 1999.

He's not even a real pharmacist, he forged his certificate and was disclaimed by Bradford University in the UK. Iwu is worse than that Phillip Emeagwali fraudster, at least that guy's lies didn't put lives at risk.

This is the thing I hate the most about GEJ's government. Is it possible that nobody in the Jonathan's inner circle know that Iwu is a fraud? Do they just not care? Don't they realize that this outbreak is a serious business with the potential to kill thousands, useless politicians included? Can't they find people who aren't fraudsters and who actually know something about virology and public health to man their panel? Are they not afraid at all?

Nigeria is finished!!!

6 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Nobody: 8:12pm On Aug 04, 2014
dulaman: on a lighter note : in light of the recent scare of
ebola in Lagos I'm therefore using God Almighty
who created heaven and earth to beg everyone
wey im name get 'ebola' inside e.g. Adebola,
Okebola, Orebola, Oyebola, Ojebola, Otebola,
Debola etc not to attempt to shake or hug me
till further notice. Na GOD I take beg o!.....
That joke was funny the first 20 times I read it.

4 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Youngzedd(m): 9:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
Stand-up Africa
Stand-up Nigeria

Time to proof to the whites that we have functioning head
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by collynzov5: 9:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: Jonathan desperately percifying all groups because of 2015.
Everything is Politics to this pleb.
The man is trying to find a solution to the Ebola ravaging Yoruba land, you are here talking trash.
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Rikidony(m): 9:42pm On Aug 04, 2014
ANOTHER COMMITTEE WTF IF WRONG WITH GEJ........ SOMEONE THAT CANT EVEN GIVE US FREE AND FAIR ELECTION IS NOW LEADING A HEALTH COMMITTEE angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:45pm On Aug 04, 2014
collynzov5:
Everything is Politics to this pleb.
The man is trying to find a solution to the Ebola ravaging Yoruba land, you are here talking trash.
A dead Igbo man was sneaked into the country. What killed him in Liberia.

6 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by mrking3(m): 9:46pm On Aug 04, 2014
Jonathan is just a clown!! Wondering why he's so much obsessed with committees!!!
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Garrithe1st: 9:47pm On Aug 04, 2014
Iwu is a fraudster, I wonder why GEJ can't stop appointing folks with rotten character into key positions...

angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by waternogetenemy: 10:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
EvilBrain: Maurice Iwu is a transparent fraudster and a liar. Anybody who knows anything about how viruses work or how drugs are developed can clearly see that that the man's claims to have found a cure are complete lies. A 5 second search on [url=http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=iwu+ebola&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=]Google Scholar[/url] will show that there is not a single paper written by or citing Iwu about Ebola or any other virus despite the man having claimed to have found a cure since 1999.
He's not even a real pharmacist, he forged his certificate and was disclaimed by Bradford University in the UK. Iwu is worse than that Phillip Emeagwali fraudster, at least that guy's lies didn't put lives at risk.
This is the thing I hate the most about GEJ's government. Is it possible that nobody in the Jonathan's inner circle know that Iwu is a fraud? Do they just not care? Don't they realize that this outbreak is a serious business with the potential to kill thousands, useless politicians included? Can't they find people who aren't fraudsters and who actually know something about virology and public health to man their panel? Are they not afraid at all?
Nigeria is finished!!!
[size=18pt]

In your Opinion.

BBC thinks different.[/size]

Health

Ebola cure hope

Four out of five people who get infected die

A plant has been found to halt the deadly Ebola virus in its tracks in laboratory tests, scientists have said.

[ image: The extract can be eaten or rubbed into the skin]
The extract can be eaten or rubbed into the skin
They used a compound from Garcinia kola, a plant commonly eaten in West Africa. Compounds from the plant have also proved effective against some strains of flu.

If the anti-Ebola compound proves successful in animal and human trials, it will be the first medicine to successfully treat the virus that causes Ebola haemorrhagic fever - an often-fatal condition.

The discovery was announced at the 16th International Botanical Congress in St Louis in the US.

Four deaths per five cases

The Ebola virus was first documented in 1976 after an outbreak in Zaire - now the Democratic Republic of the Congo - where 88% of the 318 human cases died.

[ image: The Ebola-Zaire virus close up]
The Ebola-Zaire virus close up
More recently, a 1995 outbreak in the same country had a death rate of 81% of the 315 infected.

There are four types of the virus - Ebola-Zaire, Ebola-Sudan and Ebola-Ivory Coast all affect humans, while Ebola-Reston has so far only affected monkeys and chimpanzees.

However, doctors have been unable to stop the virus once infection has taken hold - hence the disease has gained a terrifying reputation.

Traditional origins

Dr Maurice Iwu, who set up and heads the Bioresources Development and Conservation Programme, led the research.

[ image: Dr Maurice Iwu said the discovery was a breakthrough]
Dr Maurice Iwu said the discovery was a breakthrough
It started 10 years ago when researchers were led to the plant by traditional native healers who have used the plant for the treatment of infectious diseases for centuries.

"This is a very exciting discovery," said Dr Iwu, who himself comes originally from a family of traditional healers.

"The same forest that yields the dreaded Ebola virus could be a source of the cure."

Fighting chance

The virus multiplies rapidly in the human body and quickly overwhelms it, and in advanced cases the patient develops high fever and severe bleeding.

[ image: Towns are quarantined following an outbreak]
Towns are quarantined following an outbreak
The Garcinia kola compound has been shown to halt multiplication of the virus in the laboratory. If repeated in humans, this would give the body a chance to fight off the virus.

The active compound is what is known as a dimeric flavonoid, which is two flavonoid molecules fused together.

Flavonoids are non-toxic and can be found in orange and lemon rinds as well as the colourings of other plants.

Drug hopes

The tests are in the early stages still, but the researchers hope that if they continue to prove successful the compound the US Food and Drug Administration will put it on a fast track - making a drug available to humans within a matter of years.

"The discovery of these important properties in a simple compound - flavonoids - was very surprising," said Dr Iwu.

"The structure of this compound lends itself to modification, so it provides a template for future work.

"Even if this particular drug does not succeed through the whole drug approval process, we can use it to construct a new drug for this deadly disease."http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/411030.stm

1 Like

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by F117A: 10:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
Sahara reporters are a bunch of propagandists.
first and foremost,iwu is not the head of the team.
secondly,iwu is an accomplished scientist and deserves a chance on the team.
Infact,i hardly regard anybody that relies on SR for credible news.
That's one of the first sign of an unintelligent public commentator.
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Lordseyad(m): 10:24pm On Aug 04, 2014
k
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by collynzov5: 10:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
A dead Igbo man was sneaked into the country. What killed him in Liberia.
Death

1 Like

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by thunderrider: 11:20pm On Aug 04, 2014
abuayman: If true, then really this the JOKE of the DAY. Just because he made a pronouncement that bitter kola can cure adEBOLA, he named him as a committee chairman? ok Jona, wait for me, I will make my declaration tomorrow, still consulting with my other self. I will declare the cure before weekend.

Mesef don start consultation

abi make we ask the oracles?

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by EvilBrain1(m): 11:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
waternogetenemy:
[size=18pt]

In your Opinion.

BBC thinks different.[/size]

The BBC clearly don't realize that he's a certificate forger. Where they're from, petty criminals usually don't rise to the level where they're allowed to conduct national elections.

If he's really been researching a cure for the past 15 years, why is it impossible to find a single paper he's written or coauthored on the subject? Why hasn't anyone cited any of his work? Where is his lab? Which other scientists is he working with? Anyone who knows anything about science will know that the surest sign of a fake is that he doesn't publish anything and nobody can verify his work.

Also, if he didn't forge his certificate, why is his school disclaiming him? It would be easy to put saharareporters to shame by releasing a copy and getting his school to clarify the issue. But all we've heard is "I don't have time to respond to these baseless allegations!"

That's the same thing Salisu Buhari said.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 05, 2014
abuayman: If true, then really this the JOKE of the DAY. Just because he made a pronouncement that bitter kola can cure adEBOLA, he named him as a committee chairman? ok Jona, wait for me, I will make my declaration tomorrow, still consulting with my other self. I will declare the cure before weekend.
Iwu is a professor of pharmacy.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 05, 2014
I hope he doesn't give us a deadlier strain of the virus, Iwu means everything corrupt.
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by waternogetenemy: 5:13pm On Aug 05, 2014
EvilBrain1:

The BBC clearly don't realize that he's a certificate forger. Where they're from, petty criminals usually don't rise to the level where they're allowed to conduct national elections.

If he's really been researching a cure for the past 15 years, why is it impossible to find a single paper he's written or coauthored on the subject? Why hasn't anyone cited any of his work? Where is his lab? Which other scientists is he working with? Anyone who knows anything about science will know that the surest sign of a fake is that he doesn't publish anything and nobody can verify his work.

Also, if he didn't forge his certificate, why is his school disclaiming him? It would be easy to put saharareporters to shame by releasing a copy and getting his school to clarify the issue. But all we've heard is "I don't have time to respond to these baseless allegations!"

That's the same thing Salisu Buhari said.

Keep ur ignorant opinions to urself and save it for somebody that cares to listen. Opinons are like assholes everybody has one.
Re: GEJ Names Iwu As Chairman To Committe To Research Ebola Virus Cure by EvilBrain(m): 6:11pm On Aug 05, 2014
waternogetenemy:

Keep ur ignorant opinions to urself and save it for somebody that cares to listen. Opinons are like assholes everybody has one.

[url=http://saharareporters.com/2014/08/05/bitter-kola-ebola-cure-medical-groups-refute-iwu%E2%80%99s-claims]Sensible people are slowly coming out to debunk this nonsense.[/url] Including the minister of health, the chairman of the Lagos chapter of the NMA and the Director-General of the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR). NIMR, by the way is where the bulk of Nigeria's virology research takes place. If you think you know better than them, then you are fooling yourself.

Bitter Kola As Ebola Cure: Medical Groups Refute Iwu’s Claims
Two major medical groups in Nigeria have refuted claims by former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Maurice Iwu, that he has a cure for the Ebola virus ravaging parts of West Africa.

Two major medical groups in Nigeria have refuted claims by former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Maurice Iwu, that he has a cure for the Ebola virus ravaging parts of West Africa.

A day after President Goodluck Jonathan included Mr. Iwu, a former professor of pharmacognosy, on a panel to lead Nigeria’s fight against the deadly and incurable disease, the groups of medical professionals debunked the former INEC chairman’s claim that kola nut or bitter kola could provide antidotes for the Ebola virus.

Nigeria’s Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, was the first to dismiss Mr. Iwu’s claim, even though he included him on the committee to seek a cure for Ebola.

Today, more medical bodies and individuals are echoing the minister by distancing themselves from Mr. Iwu’s dubious claims. The Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR) is one of the groups questioning the former electoral umpire’s claims.

In an interview with SaharaReporters, NIMR’s director-general, Innocent Ujah, dismissed Mr. Iwu’s claim as scientifically unfounded. Mr. Ujah, who is a professor, suggested that delusive assertions by self-acclaimed medical professors should be taken with a grain of salt, adding that no scientific evidence exists to show any connection between kola nuts and the repression or cure of the Ebola virus.

In the 1990s, Mr. Iwu had received more than $2 million in research funds from US agencies after he claimed that he and a team of researchers had made a breakthrough in finding a cure for the contagious and deadly Ebola virus. Despite the huge sums of research grants that came his way, Mr. Iwu and his team never produced any drugs for clinical trial before he became the chairman of INEC, ultimately overseeing elections that local and international observes described as one of the worst in Nigeria’s history. He ran INEC from June 2005 to April 2010 when President Goodluck Jonathan removed him and replaced him with Ahmed Jega.

In dismissing the claims about kola nuts as a cure for Ebola, Mr. Ujah cautioned the public against relying on spurious and unfounded medical claims.

“It is even baffling that some people who call themselves medical professionals will put themselves in this situation,” said the professor. He added: “They should know better. Any claim that has not been tested or scientifically proven should not be fed to the public.”

In a similar vein, the Lagos State chairman of Nigerian Medical Association, Tope Ojo, also dismissed the claim, condemning the use of newspapers or the popular media to disseminate claims about medical cures. Mr. Ojo, who is a medical doctor, said, “We in the medical profession have a way of communicating medical recommendations and that is not the way.” He added, “Currently, there is no proof for that claim and someone should not just jump at the public and claim he or she has a cure.

“If bitter kola is a cure the Ebola virus, we would have recommended that everyone should go and start chewing it everywhere, even as a prophylaxis, so that we won't even bother about cure,” said the chairman of the Lagos chapter of the NMA.

Ujah and Ojo advised Nigerians to adopt simple hygienic habits, such as washing their hands regularly with soap, to minimize the odds of contracting the virus.

Nigerian authorities have confirmed that a Nigerian doctor in Lagos had contracted the virus after treated a Liberian victim, Patrick Sawyer, who died of the virus recently. The late Sawyer was the first reported case of the virus in Nigeria.

http://saharareporters.com/2014/08/05/bitter-kola-ebola-cure-medical-groups-refute-iwu%E2%80%99s-claims

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture Of Governor Fayose Encouraging Child Abuse / Names Of The 12 Oou,ago Iwoye Students That Died In An Auto Accident Yesterday / B-r-e-a-k-i-n-g!!northern Youths Blast Biafra Protagonists,ask FG To Crush Move

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.