Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,338 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students (1389 Views)

Distribution Of Exotic Vehicles Divides Senators / Senate Presidency: Saraki, Lawan’s Ambition Divides APC / APC Zoning Of SGF To SE Divides Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by gratieao: 6:46am On Aug 05, 2014
Students of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, have maintained different stand-points over the donation of a bus to the Students’ Union by the governorship aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party in Osun State, Senator Iyiola Omisore.

While some of the students welcomed the receipt of the bus by the Students Union, others negated it. One of the students, who negated the receipt of the bus, Sola Adebola, accused the SU government of selling the rights of the students.

He explained that it was not right for the executives of the SU, led by Isaac Ibikunle, to receive the bus during the period of election.

Another student, identified simply as Bimpe, lamented that political aspirants wanted to use students to achieve their ambition.

He said, “I am surprised the Students Union would collect such in our absence. We are not on campus and I see no reason why the SU will proceed to collect the bus despite the hike in fee challenges and the shutdown of the institution. It is wrong. We don’t need a bus. What will the bus do in the problems we are facing?

“We are on strike and OAU is a federal school, being governed by the Peoples Democratic Party. Why can’t he resolve our strike challenge first? The last time he (the President) promised to solve the problem, we later realised it was a lie. This is propaganda from him. It will not make us vote him in.”

But the Students Union, in a communiqué signed by its President, Ibikunle Isaac and Secretary-General, Shittu Olatayo, said it collected the bus to aid students’ movements during protests.

The communiqué read in part, “Since the inception of our administration, it is a known fact that the political gladiators from major political parties have been engaging us, seeking our support just, as it is being done all over the state. But our position has always been that they should do projects for OAU students, such as donation of buses and scholarships, among others. In particular, both the All Progressive Congress and the PDP have promised us a bus each.

“Meanwhile, on Thursday July 31, 2014, the PDP gubernatorial aspirant, Omisore, donated a brand new 18 seater bus to the Students’ Union. This indubitably will aid the mobility of the Union, especially in times of struggle, and make the Union enjoy mobility autonomy as against the constant seizure of the Union’s bus by the management whenever the Union has issues with the University.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/omisores-bus-donation-divides-oau-students/
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by eluquenson(m): 6:54am On Aug 05, 2014
Accept the bus by fate, whether you accept or not there is no going back on the rigging of the state election in osun.
I just ddont want PDP to triumph in osun state.

3 Likes

Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by segzyj(m): 6:55am On Aug 05, 2014
Awuf
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 05, 2014
Why not, please take the bus, but note that if you vote for him, then that is the last bus for you guys for the next four(4) years smiley

2 Likes

Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by krazydave(m): 7:09am On Aug 05, 2014
9ja......
Our politicians eh!.. So cos 'ts almost election time they've started by buses for schools??
#smh#
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by PassingShot(m): 7:17am On Aug 05, 2014
Same "divide and rule" tactic that has brought our nation to this present state.

Were it to be another university I wouldn't have a problem. But this happening to OAU SUG speaks a lot about how Nigerian students have been bought over. It only confirms that the spirit of aluta is long dead.
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by Tolexander: 7:27am On Aug 05, 2014
To start with, has the persona non grata on Senator Iyiola Omisore by OAU students union been lifted?

I'm not saying they shouldn't collect anything from the politicians. It shouldn't be from electoral aspirant. They should have waited till after the election before recieving anything. That gift is enough to compromise the stand of the students(SUG).

1 Like

Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by horlash96: 7:38am On Aug 05, 2014
we have thieves in this country ...our leaders are corrupt ...someone who teaches us about corruption is now in the act ...how can dey collect the bus by dis tym of election... I'd that the thing dem suppose to do ...they suppose to clear and settle the on going strike in the skul ... so they are giving out buses ...wu wan enta shey na bat or monkeys because student no dey campus ...if PDP are rulling that is a serious prob
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:44am On Aug 05, 2014
I don't see anything wrong in the Students' Union executive members accepting the gift. The fear of those against it who claim Omisore intends using it to lure the students have been defeated because OAU is not in session.

1 Like

Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:51am On Aug 05, 2014
Tolexander: To start with, has the persona non grata on Senator Iyiola Omisore by OAU students union been lifted?

I'm not saying they shouldn't collect anything from the politicians. It shouldn't be from electoral aspirant. They should have waited till after the election before recieving anything. That gift is enough to compromise the stand of the students(SUG).

Was it after he gave a 100,000 naira cash to a student of Dramatic Arts student (Jasper) when the helicopter conveying him (Omisore) landed in the sports complex?
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by dridowu: 8:08am On Aug 05, 2014
Where was Omisore since all this days ?
SUG should collect it without wasting time if they are yet to receive it ? Because if Omisore eventually win/lose without them collecting the bus then they will lose on both sides.
SUG is just a body of less than 50 students and they can't speak for the entire student during election. Election is one man one vote without rigging.
My advice to all OAU students that will be voting during OSUN gov election, they should vote without fear or favour for the candidate they believe in.

2 Likes

Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by Tolexander: 8:31am On Aug 05, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Was it after he gave a 100,000 naira cash to a student of Dramatic Arts student (Jasper) when the helicopter conveying him (Omisore) landed in the sports complex?
Omisore had been declared persona non grata before that time base on the outcome of the April, 2007 election and the tribunal, (bola ige murder saga inclusive, though i'm not sure) where Akinola Saburi, the then 'suspended' President was arrested and detained when he appeared as a witness at the tribunal.

Jasper was already a graduate that time and went on his own on behalf of the OAU student union to collect that #100,000. He contested the post of the welfare director but was defeated by Lampard in the election that ushered in Divaino's administration. I heard he was punished anyway but not sure.

The helicopter belonged to Omisore but heard he wasn't in the helicopter and was still coming by road into the school. He had to go back and the helicopter immediately flown away from the sport complex when chaos was already inevitable if it wasn't taken away. That time, Osun was already preparing for the supposed 2011 gubernatorial election in 2010 before being marred by the outcome of the Appeal court.
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by Tolexander: 8:38am On Aug 05, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: I don't see anything wrong in the Students' Union executive members accepting the gift. The fear of those against it who claim Omisore intends using it to lure the students have been defeated because OAU is not in session.
were OAU students on session for the 14th of April, 2007 election?
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by Femmyfamous4u(m): 9:27am On Aug 05, 2014
It is a known fact that Omisore has been declared persona non grata and that remains irrespective of any gestures showed by him to OAU students. The bus he gave does not guarantee his winning in OAU though he seems to have endeared himself to some senior lecturers and many students. I know a lecturer who would definitely be the commissioner of education should omisore win the election. Many students too especially those who have collected money. Omisore's house is at Ede road where people go at will and he rubs their palms accordingly.

Another thing to bear in mind is that virtually all undergraduate are not on campus except for post graduate students who are not affected. OAU students and corp members are to be used as Assistant polling officers and polling officers respectively which means that they are not eligible to vote, the VC(prof Bamitale idowuogbo Omole) is the resident electoral commissioner who will announce the winner of the election.
As an INEC official, I'm not allowed to comment on who will win or who won't. I on my part will be an unbiased judge in my capacity.

Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:43am On Aug 05, 2014
Tolexander: were OAU students on session for the 14th of April, 2007 election?
No, all schools were closed. That was why Saburi challenged PDP for claiming it got 30,000 votes from the University. Saburi was later arrested and taken to Ilesha Prison.
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by Tolexander: 12:00pm On Aug 05, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
No, all schools were closed. That was why Saburi challenged PDP for claiming it got 30,000 votes from the University. Saburi was later arrested and taken to Ilesha Prison.
all schools were closed as a result of ASUU strike. But OAU was on a struggle for the lecture free week from the 26th of february, 2007. The school was closed on the 28th of february, 2007. ASUU strike met OAU at home.

Had the student union of OAU collected anything from PDP before the election, how would it be very possible for Akinola Saburi to witness against them in the tribunal in Osogbo on the 30,000 votes accounted for OAU?
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by Ayomax(m): 12:09pm On Aug 05, 2014
Nigeria Students selling each other out since 1960
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:16pm On Aug 05, 2014
Tolexander: all schools were closed as a result of ASUU strike. But OAU was on a struggle for the lecture free week from the 26th of february, 2007. The school was closed on the 28th of february, 2007. ASUU strike met OAU at home.

Had the student union of OAU collected anything from PDP before the election, how would it be very possible for Akinola Saburi to witness against them in the tribunal in Osogbo on the 30,000 votes accounted for OAU?
You're right.
Re: Omisore’s Bus Donation Divides OAU Students by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 05, 2014
Femmyfamous4u: It is a known fact that Omisore has been declared persona non grata and that remains irrespective of any gestures showed by him to OAU students. The bus he gave does not guarantee his winning in OAU though he seems to have endeared himself to some senior lecturers and many students. I know a lecturer who would definitely be the commissioner of education should omisore win the election. Many students too especially those who have collected money. Omisore's house is at Ede road where people go at will and he rubs their palms accordingly.

Another thing to bear in mind is that virtually all undergraduate are not on campus except for post graduate students who are not affected. OAU students and corp members are to be used as Assistant polling officers and polling officers respectively which means that they are not eligible to vote, the VC (Prof Bamitale idowuogbo Omole) is the resident electoral commissioner who will announce the winner of the election.
As an INEC official, I'm not allowed to comment on who will win or who won't. I on my part will be an unbiased judge in my capacity.

At the bolded, ......will comment after the result is announce.

(1) (Reply)

New Intelligence Reports On Boko Haram / Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram / I Won’t Recognise Obasanjo’s Govt Says General Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.