Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram (1386 Views)

Adamawa To Spend N200 Million On Prayer Warriors, Vigilante To Curb Boko Haram / Ways To Curb Boko Haram / How To Curb Boko Haram, Jos Crisis –okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 10:22am On Nov 23, 2014
Good day everyone. from the comments i"ve been reading on this website, i've observed that there are some nairalanders who have ideas that might help end boko haram. i created this thread to let nairalanders air their views on the the actions they feel the government should take to curb the boko haram insurgency in as little time as possible. The rules for this thread are
1) no tribalism
2) no religious bigotry
3) no name-calling

please, meaningful ideas and tactics only
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 10:45am On Nov 23, 2014
i feel the government should start by purchasing military surplus aircraft. eight refurbished Su-30s direct from Russia and 18 new JF17 Thunder to mark the full and final arrival of the NAF since none of the 40 aircraft purportedly purchased by the government are nowhere to be found.

for the Nigerian army, DICON should upgrade the AK-47, change the current wooden stock on the rifle to an alloy metallic stock and also increase the capacity of its magazines.

i feel the only arm of the nigerian military that are up to task is the navy,

1 Like

Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by Cannonleo(m): 11:19am On Nov 23, 2014
I beg 2 humbly disagree an upgraded
Ak with optical sights and a pistol grip
(optional beats ur theory of will be an
overwhelming improvement 2 a
certain degree...if it is operated
alongside a good orbat doctrine
and.common sense...
When a target is beyong 300 meters
say.400-496m switch 2 semi automatic
even while underfire.prone and fire
studies,simulations have shown that
the minimum acurracy u can achieve
underthat condition is 92% percent
same a a dragnov sniper rifle under
pressure ..when ur hostiles aee within
range.switch 2 full automatic and
engage..even thou i certainly agree
with u.i prefer 2 fight with what I can
produce quickly and deploy and also
improve,however monotomy in
weaponry for infantry men makes no
sense now in modern warfare..
With the propensity of the west to hit
sanctions at any time nd the fact that
even the germans will no give us a
licence even 2 produce WW2 MP40..i
will stick with this modified AK for
infantry nd AK-74 for special forces
with 40mm grenade attached shekina
I will tell u.other solutions later in the day

1 Like

Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 3:05pm On Nov 23, 2014
i've always been an advocate for a change of rifle for the army but we've heard stories of how efficient the AK-47 can be, easy to use and maintain , and the fact that the weapon is mass produced in nigeria etc. So what i propose is let atleast 80% of the ak, come with hologrophic, ACOG OR red -dot sight. And a good number, with grenade launcher’s. To improve efficency, reduce civilian casualties. I must say a good number of the old looking ak-47 here in the southern part of our country has been fazed out for newer version with a metallic but that folds, unlike the old wooden butt.
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by Cannonleo(m): 3:21pm On Nov 23, 2014
PerfectlyPerfect:
i've always been an advocate for a change of rifle for the army but we've heard stories of how efficient the AK-47 can be, easy to use and maintain , and the fact that the weapon is mass produced in nigeria etc. So what i propose is let atleast 80% of the ak, come with hologrophic, ACOG OR red -dot sight. And a good number, with grenade launcher’s. To improve efficency, reduce civilian casualties. I must say a good number of the old looking ak-47 here in the southern part of our country has been fazed out for newer version with a metallic but that folds, unlike the old wooden butt.

Africa's orbat environment has certaim limitations...for me I propose an improved AK with optical scopes and pistol grip for regular infantry while special forces will have AK 74 with 40mm grenade launchers
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 23, 2014
The government should start bt being true to itself. End corruption and end crisis in Nigeria. You can propose weapons from today till eternity but so long as the funds keep ending up in people's pockets, you are wasting your time.

2 Likes

Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 23, 2014
1. Appoint Martin Luther Agwai as NSA
2. Move Sambo Dasuki to Defence Ministry and sack Aliyu Gusau
3. Military surge in the north east, we need more soldiers on ground
4. Launch a massive offensive to push Boko haram back to Sambisa forest
5. Negotiate with Boko Haram members willing to lay down their arms and then flush out the rest!

5 Likes

Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 3:51pm On Nov 23, 2014
mikeansy:
1. Appoint Martin Luther Agwai as NSA
2. Move Sambo Dasuki to Defence Ministry and sack Aliyu Gusau
3. Military surge in the north east, we need more soldiers on ground
4. Launch a massive offensive to push Boko haram back to Sambisa forest
5. Negotiate with Boko Haram members willing to lay down their arms and then flush out the rest!

you have very good points. the presidency made absolutely wrong decisions in their appointment of security chiefs in this country
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by olapluto(m): 4:00pm On Nov 23, 2014
Sincerely, I have thought about this issue alot and my main conclusion is that PDP breeds militancy and insurgency. The origin of ALL militants and terrorism can be traced directly to PDP.
So to start curbing Boko Haram, we need to get our thinking back to pre PDP, when police and military know their jobs and are not partisan. Then we need a national acceptance, not blaming one religion or region. Then we need to sideline the distractors (e.g Biafra agitators), who have other agenda. Next is to go for the source! The means of finance for BH is not going to be hard to spot by any serious government. Stop the funding, you weaken them.
Then either decide to chase BH into Cameroun, Niger and Chad, or contain them in Nigeria and finish them. To do the latter, we need to prevent a fall back for BH in those countries. .....to be continued.

1 Like

Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 4:06pm On Nov 23, 2014
olapluto:
Sincerely, I have thought about this issue alot and my main conclusion is that PDP breeds militancy and insurgency. The origin of ALL militants and terrorism can be traced directly to PDP.
So to start curbing Boko Haram, we need to get our thinking back to pre PDP, when police and military know their jobs and are not partisan. Then we need a national acceptance, not blaming one religion or region. Then we need to sideline the distractors (e.g Biafra agitators), who have other agenda. Next is to go for the source! The means of finance for BH is not going to be hard to spot by any serious government. Stop the funding, you weaken them.
Then either decide to chase BH into Cameroun, Niger and Chad, or contain them in Nigeria and finish them. To do the latter, we need to prevent a fall back for BH in those countries. .....to be continued.

no one can conclusively prove that the PDP or any other party is responsible for this insurgency. all we get are mere speculations, side-talks and accusations. isn't it also possible that the real sponsors of boko haram sow the seeds of political divisions to create disunity and throw the blames on the political parties while they carry out their nefarious activities
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by olapluto(m): 4:14pm On Nov 23, 2014
PerfectlyPerfect:

no one can conclusively prove that the PDP or any other party is responsible for this insurgency. all we get are mere speculations, side-talks and accusations. isn't it also possible that the real sponsors of boko haram sow the seeds of political divisions to create disunity and throw the blames on the political parties while they carry out their nefarious activities
I was listening to lectures by a cleric about the origin of Boko Haram. BH were just a group of men and women who had their own ideology and followership. Ali Modu Sheriff used them to get to the post of governor. He financed BH, gave them a state commisioner, and promised many other things. Believe me, without Sheriff funding, BH and its leader Yusuf, will still be a few group of people who give lectures in Arabic village, Maiduguri. I am 100% confident that there is still a very direct line of communication between Shekau and core aides of Sheriff.
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by tit(f): 4:20pm On Nov 23, 2014
the Nigerian army has to invest n better communications.
Field radios, walkie-talkies!
Small units can then call for support and artillery fire-support on the fly.
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 4:20pm On Nov 23, 2014
olapluto:

I was listening to lectures by a cleric about the origin of Boko Haram. BH were just a group of men and women who had their own ideology and followership. Ali Modu Sheriff used them to get to the post of governor. He financed BH, gave them a state commisioner, and promised many other things. Believe me, without Sheriff funding, BH and its leader Yusuf, will still be a few group of people who give lectures in Arabic village, Maiduguri. I am 100% confident that there is still a very direct line of communication between Shekau and core aides of Sheriff.

thanks for clarifying me on that, though i still believe that the blame should be on the individual; Ali Sheriff, instead of blaming PDP. the sins of the few shouldn't be allowed to affect the many
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by ogbronx(m): 4:21pm On Nov 23, 2014
olapluto:
I agree totally with you. Stop what causes militancy everywhere. We are only concentrating on BH now when nigerdelta militants are gearing up. All regions of this country have their own kind of militia. The only difference is that some have taken up arms while the others prepare.
I also agree that we should look at pre-PDP days, truth is PDP as party gradually brought us where we are today. Their governance has mostly been selfish and visionless. Importing weapons for thuggery and creating jobs for cultist and killers. Question, how did dokubo and tompolo arise? via thuggery and later oil thieves.
I strongly believe that the only thing FG needs to quench this BH insurgency is sincerity of purpose.
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 4:27pm On Nov 23, 2014
tit:
the Nigerian army has to invest n better communications.
Field radios, walkie-talkies!
Small units can then call for support and artillery fire-support on the fly.

totally valid point you got here. short-range radios and satellite phones would enable quick communications
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by olapluto(m): 4:31pm On Nov 23, 2014
PerfectlyPerfect:

thanks for clarifying me on that, though i still believe that the blame should be on the individual; Ali Sheriff, instead of blaming PDP. the sins of the few shouldn't be allowed to affect the many
No, it is not just Ali Sheriff. Check out other PDP governed states. They seem to always have this thug back up. When PDP held sway in the SW, thugs and NURTW were in charge.
In contrast, look at Osun state, with Aregbesola and Taawun. Taawun is a religious body, supported Aregbesola's reelection. You will however, never find Taawun breaking the law in Iwo and getting away with it. The other day, when Taawun arrested some fraudsters, they handed them over to police.
It seems to me that PDP gets away with everything and anything, so they believe they can use thugs and militants whenever they like. Currently, it is the police and SSS being used at the national level. We've already had the rogue police commisioner Mbu who was issuing directives at variance with the IG.
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 23, 2014
All this theory is a waste of time...........Total blockade is the shortest cut to Victory starve the motherfuckers to death!!!!!!!!!hey don't bring that civilian casualty shit here, in war everything is fair.
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 4:41pm On Nov 23, 2014
olapluto:

No, it is not just Ali Sheriff. Check out other PDP governed states. They seem to always have this thug back up. When PDP held sway in the SW, thugs and NURTW were in charge.
In contrast, look at Osun state, with Aregbesola and Taawun. Taawun is a religious body, supported Aregbesola's reelection. You will however, never find Taawun breaking the law in Iwo and getting away with it. The other day, when Taawun arrested some fraudsters, they handed them over to police.
It seems to me that PDP gets away with everything and anything, so they believe they can use thugs and militants whenever they like. Currently, it is the police and SSS being used at the national level. We've already had the rogue police commisioner Mbu who was issuing directives at variance with the IG.

words of wisdom.
in a situation where the nigerian political landscape is perfect, what other recommendations do you have on ending the insurgency?
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by olapluto(m): 4:57pm On Nov 23, 2014
PerfectlyPerfect:

words of wisdom.
in a situation where the nigerian political landscape is perfect, what other recommendations do you have on ending the insurgency?
Dealing specifically with BH, I will:
1. try to establish the religious leader of the group and try to know his idealogival school of thought. The same school of thought that makes it OK to kill people. I will then find scholars who can quash this idea and come up with better ideas. Once the ideological war is won, things become easier.
2. Have to decide if I want the group to pay for its sins or to go and sin no more. I believe they should pay. This is where I will draw my military plan.
3. Firstly, I will publicly apologise for the misbehavior of the army on innocent civilians so far.
I think the NA is recruiting indirectly for BH. The army puts the civilians caught within the war zone in a lose lose situation. If you are caught by the army, na die. If BH catch u, na die too. The youths of places like Bama who initially abhored BH had no choice but to join the group due to the action of the army
4. My attack will be first to secure the borders and prevent 'spillage of militants into other parts of Nigeria'. Once contained, I will get a full coordinate of the location of the heads of the group. Also NAF will help provide air patrol (key is the border areas)
5. Get as many local hunters as are willing. Contract them and offer them money. Minimum 50k naira per head.
Also visit the battalions and boost their morale. Treat the families of the dead well, give money to the families of those on the frontline and let they know they are not fighting in vain.
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 6:15am On Nov 24, 2014
can anyone recommend new weapon upgrades for the military?
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by tit(f): 6:26am On Nov 24, 2014
olapluto:

Were the gang wars a result of ACN's strategy to undermine the PDP leadership in the SW?
The current lawlessness and assassinations in Ekiti point that Tinubu's followers are versed in the acts of chaos.
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by tit(f): 6:36am On Nov 24, 2014
PerfectlyPerfect:
can anyone recommend new weapon upgrades for the military?

Everybody would like new toys.

The NA is adequately equipped to handle bokoharam.
They just need better concentration of men and equipment in the right places.
Or, they should stop allowing boko haram to decide the time and place of the battle.

The NA keeps allowing BH to recon isolated NA unit, then swoop on them with overwhelming force.

In Konduga, although BH still decided the time and place of battle, the NA was able to concentrate its forces: the place was a road between Konduga and Maiduguri.

In Mubi, BH decided the time and place. The NA was unable to concentrate its forces since there are numerous approaching roads to Mubi. The NA defenses collapsed without a shot being fired.

The NA needs to identify the enemy, locate them and take the battle to them, with artillery and pincer moves.

1 Like

Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 7:09am On Nov 24, 2014
Nice. who would've known a lady would be so knowledgeable in military affairs.
i twale for u
Re: Propose Techniques And Updates To Curb Boko Haram by mcquin(m): 7:46am On Nov 24, 2014
I love this idea. @ OP kudos.

I really wish the Federal govt can stubble on this.

I also want to appreciate nairalanders for looking beyond ethnicity and religion for once and given tangible advice.

Although I am anti-pdp cause they brought all this upon the us, I think constructive criticism is the way to

(1) (Reply)

Pictures From The Campaign Of Engr. Dave Umahi At Abakaliki Local Government / Nigeria Police Redeploy Controversial AIG Mbu, 27 Others / The Gong Of The Town Crier!! Igbo Where Art Thou?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.