Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,534 members, 7,958,641 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 07:29 PM

" How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " (1141 Views)

Does Having An Encounter Or Seeing Jesus Make One A Better Christian? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

" How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 9:31am On Aug 06, 2014

I saw this on the net, And decided to share on Nairaland

By the time I got neck-deep in
college, I knew my mission. The
first story I presented in my
fiction class told the 1,001
reasons no one should be a
Christian. Never mind how boring that made the prose—the
message mattered more.
My
poems featured forceful, angry
words about the “non-existing
god” and the fantasies of the
Bible.

I argued in philosophy class with those foolish believers
(though I used more colorful
words than that to describe
them). I had the angry atheist thing
down.

Then, God blew me out of the
water. With a little hard love and
lot of grace, the Creator of this
spinning blue orb made Himself so
real to me that there was no
rational way to deny it.

But I’m a firm believer that God
doesn’t waste anything—not
even my atheistic past. For one,
I’ve saved those angry polemics
to remind me of the path I’ve
walked. For another, being an atheist gave me a perspective
(for good and bad) that I might
not have had as a staunch,
from-childhood Christian.

And
it’s something that Mike
McHargue (Christian-turned- atheist-turned-follower-of-
Christ) talks about as well in a
trending blog post. For him, being
an atheist

“Christians think about the
afterlife a lot. I never
understood how much until I
stopped believing in life after
death. We're so concerned with
Heaven, Hell and who goes where that we forget about this life.
Our Scriptures talk much more
about this life than the next,
but our focus often doesn't
reflect that.

“Atheists don't have that
luxury. With no God and no
afterlife, atheists must concern
themselves with the here and
now. With no savior, atheists
must work to address suffering with their own hands. With no
heaven or hell, atheists have to
savor and enjoy every moment
as a gift.

“I haven't lost that perspective.
The Good News means little to
someone who is starving or who
has no roof over their head.
Likewise, I am mindful of all those
moments we have now that reflect the Kingdom of God.
Every Sunday I spend singing
with my friends andfamily at church is divine. Each touch of
my wife's hand is a blessing, and
every twirl my daughters make
down the hall fills me with life.”
As for me, my time as an atheist
showed (very clearly) that some
Christians think of unbelievers as
“the enemy.” But the Jesus
followers who finally helped me
see God refused to be turned off by my bravado and
belligerence. They could see the
man beneath the “rational”
veneer, a man scared of
eternity. They kept praying and
kept reaching out until God opened my eyes.

www.crosswalk.com/blogs/christian-trends/being-an-atheist-made-me-a-better-christian.html

1 Like

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 06, 2014
A comment made by another atheist on the website-

I was in San Diego, and in the
Navy. Lonely,empty, no sense of
direction. I visited a nearby
church and, while greeted
warmly by an old gentleman at
the door, I was invisible to the people in the church. I left after
the service without any notice. I
was still hungry for something. I
visited a Christian serviceman's
center and sat through a
presentation. When asked if I wanted to know more I held up
my hand and went into a room
with a counselor. I was so
ignorant of religion, Christianity,
that the "language" he used
went right over my head.

I got up, walked out and vowed
"There is no god!" For the next
year and a half I was constantly
trying to prove to "believers"
that God did not exist. I began
to study Evolution, etc., to get some understanding of the
alternative. What emptiness,
uselessness, unsatisfying. Then
God began to break into my
thoughts and I found myself
often thanking Him for some small thing. Then I was invited to
attend a Baptist church and was
so warmly greeted and received
that I kept going. I head the
gospel message of Christ clearly
for the first time and after 3 months committed my life to
Christ. That was over 60 years
ago. A year later I gave up my
life to Christ and He has led me
into service for Him. I have
reveled in Christ's assurance and have never doubted His call. 34
years in an avocation of
missionary publishing. Teaching
and preaching the Word. And on,
and on. What peace and joy
through it all. I cannot express it all but praise my Lord and Savior
joyfully.
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 06, 2014
thankGOD!! I hope all the
atheistic will find
this topic and find God and trust
in Him and get saved! I used to
think God loved me out of a
sense of duty because He is such a holy and good God.

I have a long way to go, but loving the atheists in Christ and
ministering to them is one of my
missions whether they like it or
not. Apart from the supernatural
outstanding superiority of the
teachings of Christianity, I found that Christianity is true because
there is no atheist whose
language is clean. Atheists hate
Christianity and the Chrstianity
must be true if they hate it so
much.
Thank God for His love. Thank God for Jesus, the Savior
He sent into the world.

Please, help me move this to frontpage @ Oga Seun , or Mukina2 or Semid4life or Mynd44 . . Thank You

2 Likes

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 06, 2014

1 Like

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 06, 2014
Scyllapatron: This is exactly what I, personally, am going through at present. After many years of being a staunch atheist, with an overwhelming psychological clamber and psychobabble disequilibrium arguing and debating with believers, I have come to a stand-still. I have come to understand the true meaning of life in God. My many years of atheistic cogitation has become my primal reservoir of the true knowledge about God. Though I still think there is something wrong with organized religions of the world.
Commendable!!! But don't worry about organized religions. Take Jesus as your lord and Personal saviour. Just do what he says in the bible, not other religious org.
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by TheBigUrban2: 10:45am On Aug 06, 2014
Lying for Jesus abi? grin grin

5 Likes

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by alexleo(m): 10:57am On Aug 06, 2014
Scyllapatron: This is exactly what I, personally, am going through at present. After many years of being a staunch atheist, with an overwhelming psychological clamber and psychobabble disequilibrium arguing and debating with believers, I have come to a stand-still. I have come to understand the true meaning of life in God. My many years of atheistic cogitation has become my primal reservoir of the true knowledge about God. Though I still think there is something wrong with organized religions of the world.

The main thing to consider is to establish a good relationship with God. As you keep knowing him and keep commiting your ways unto him he will surely guide you are right. Looking at religious organisations is not the main thing. I thank God for you my dear. God will help you. Amen.

1 Like

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by alexleo(m): 11:05am On Aug 06, 2014
blueto: thankGOD!! I hope all the
atheistic will find
this topic and find God and trust
in Him and get saved! I used to
think God loved me out of a
sense of duty because He is such a holy and good God.

I have a long way to go, but loving the atheists in Christ and
ministering to them is one of my
missions whether they like it or
not. Apart from the supernatural
outstanding superiority of the
teachings of Christianity, I found that Christianity is true because
there is no atheist whose
language is clean. Atheists hate
Christianity and the Chrstianity
must be true if they hate it so
much.
Thank God for His love. Thank God for Jesus, the Savior
He sent into the world.

Please, help me move this to frontpage @ Oga Seun , or Mukina2 or Semid4life or Mynd44 . . Thank You

Thanks dear and God bless you. God is working in some of these atheists and bringing them back to him. Some of them both whites and blacks are personal friends who are wonderful christians today. Banom is a member in this nairaland and an atheist but God turned him around a few years back. Today he is still waxing strong in the Lord. Let's keep praying for them.

2 Likes

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 11:22am On Aug 06, 2014
alexleo:

Thanks dear and God bless you. God is working in some of these atheists and bringing them back to him. Some of them both whites and blacks are personal friends who are wonderful christians today. Banom is a member in this nairaland and an atheist but God turned him around a few years back. Today he is still waxing strong in the Lord. Let's keep praying for them.
thank you sir.
Just like Apostle paul, when he was busy killing the christians until he was converted

2 Likes

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 06, 2014
TheBigUrban2: Lying for Jesus abi? grin grin
please, goto the website and read for yourself . Atheist commenting about how they fought d christains, and later converted gringrin
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 06, 2014
.a
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 11:52am On Aug 06, 2014
alexleo:

The main thing to consider is to give establish a good relationship with God. As you keep knowing him and keep commiting your ways unto him he will surely guide you are right. Looking at religious organisations is not the main thing. I thank God for you my dear. God will help you. Amen.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 06, 2014
seejojo: Become a member of Church of Satan..
Who want to become rich should let me know
there is a place where you can do it with
details reach me on: seejojo@ovi.com
brother, Jesus loves you. What shall it profit you to become rich and loss your soul?
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Oduduwaboy(m): 12:50pm On Aug 06, 2014
Okay...But i dont see how this can convert a rational & balanced atheist. See, some people have outgrown boredom and the search for love. I love myself too much and i still love others .

Confession: i still unguiltily enjoy some sweet church songs as well as some Ifa chants. I just see consciousness/ life as at times very beautiful!

1 Like

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 06, 2014
Oduduwaboy: Okay...But i dont see how this can convert a rational & balanced atheist. See, some people have outgrown boredom and the search for love. I love myself too much and i still love others .

Confession: i still unguiltily enjoy some sweet church songs as well as some Ifa chants. I just see consciousness/ life as at times very beautiful!
You cannot serve two masters at same time. Turn fully to God
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:17pm On Aug 06, 2014
I hate suicide bombing a lot it must be true that these guys have 72 virgins Mscheeewwwwwwwwwwww nonsense

2 Likes

Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 6:08pm On Aug 06, 2014
Chrisbenogor: I hate suicide bombing a lot it must be true that these guys have 72 virgins Mscheeewwwwwwwwwwww nonsense

Sound logic in the minds of the simpletons.
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by mumumugu(m): 6:15pm On Aug 06, 2014
How being a mumu has made me smart

how being a racist has made me black
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 08, 2015
[quote author=blueto post=2l?[/quote]
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 08, 2015
.a
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 08, 2015
TABQJZLA3G
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 01, 2016
post=35637964:
.a
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 01, 2016
post=35638363:
TABQJZLA3G
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 01, 2016
post=25269149:
.a
Re: " How Being An Atheist Made Me A Better Christian " by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
[quote author=blueto post=

(1) (Reply)

Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? / Why You Should Zero Your Mind From Going To Heaven... / Christianity Is The Largest Religion In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.