Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,160 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? (1112 Views)

10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / Church Of Satan Now Opened For All Willing To Join And May The Devil Give You Joy. / Whats So Bad About Celestial Church Of Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 5:00pm On Aug 07, 2014
folks have over time on several threads here erroneously think the Church as it were in the bible (old and new church) practiced democracy. They tend to think everyone has a right to an opinion at ALL times, and makes it look like a cooperate federal organization.

The church of God DOES NOT practice democracy, it is not the church of the people, by the people and for the people. Paul instructed in his letter to the Romans verse 4, Chapter 15.

Romans 15:4English Standard Version (ESV)

4 For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

Korah's Rebellion proves completely that the Church DOES NOT practice democracy.

Korah, one of the rich leaders of the Levites, and a cousin of Moses and Aaron, felt that he had been slighted and overlooked in the distribution of the highest priestly honors and leadership. He envied Moses and Aaron, and also his cousin Elzaphan, who had been put in charge of the Levites, after Aaron's family had become elevated to the rank of Kohanim (Priests). Realizing that despite his riches and influence he alone could do very little to shake the people's faith and confidence in Moses and Aaron, Korah looked for associates in his campaign against them.

Korah went to the people of the tribe of Reuben, his neighbors in the camping order. Being daily in close contact with them, Korah easily swayed the opinions of their leaders and drew them into his conspiracy.

Amongst the Reubenites were two men, Dathan and Abiram, who since their early days in Egypt had been trouble-makers and the ringleaders of disaffection and rebellion. They were the first to rally to the party of Korah, and they were his most eager agents among their tribesmen. Their experienced and clever campaigning, aided by Korah's riches, influence, and knowledge, induced as many as 250 respected leaders of the Jewish camp to join the rebellion.

They now felt bold enough to go out into the open and speak up against Moses' leadership of the people. Adopting the mantle of piety and justice, and pretending to be a champion of his people, Korah accused Moses and Aaron of imposing their leadership upon the community. "You take too much upon yourselves, for the entire congregation are all holy, and the Lord is in their midst. So why do raise yourselves above the Lord's assembly?" said Korah (Numbers 16:3) and his men to Moses and Aaron.

the story ended terribly for him and his crew.

what about Miram and Aaron Against Moses?

what about Baalam?

what about ...?

so many examples to offer. But why then would folks think it should be practiced in today's church?

Drummaboy made a remark in similitude to the above in a thread, and to avoid derailing that thread, i'm creating this one, for him to come defend what he said on the other thread.

DrummaBoy:

One day, many years ago, I was reading Acts 15, the place were the apostles sent letters to the church in Antioch to tell them that they need listen to the Judaizers about circumcision. They should follow a certain minimum and they were OK. scripture records somewhere there that the people were happy. I could see relief too in that passage, the very thing Candour is describing here. Acts 15:30-31 - " ... and when they had gathered the multitudes together, they delivered the epistle: which when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation". God knows how much more he wants his people to rejoice over, which church leaders prefer to bind people up in misery with.

One of the biggest disservice church leaders can do to a flock is, in their bid to protect the flock, to then begin to list out dos and donts for them. It leads to bondage. When eventually truth is pointed out, relief and joy comes.

Should God's people not have a right to relief, joy and freedom all the time? Should churches bind up people in a bid to protect them? Is God not sufficient to save and keep safe till the end?

Forgive my Lamentations. I cannot help it sometimes.

https://www.nairaland.com/1842233/pentecostal-experience/3#25291956

i expect a civil discussion with DB on his above statement and Why he is against General Overseers , Senior Pastor , etc for he is toeing the line of Korah!

1 Like

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by DrummaBoy(m): 5:23pm On Aug 07, 2014
Sorry Gombs I must decline the offer to enter this discussion. I am presently prosecuting two major threads on this forum and would not be able to give this thread the sort of attention it deserve. Maybe some other time but not today.

As for the subject of the thread, my opinion on it is well documented in a couple of posts I have made in this forum. Those interested may search them out.

I believe you will find one person who shares my position and who might be able to engage you in the manner the thread deserves.

I request to be excused.
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 5:25pm On Aug 07, 2014
DrummaBoy: Sorry Gombs I must decline the offer to enter this discussion. I am presently prosecuting two major threads on this forum and would not be able to give this thread the sort of attention it deserve. Maybe some other time but not today.

As for the subject of the thread, my opinion on it is well documented in a couple of posts I have made in this forum. Those interested may search them out.

I believe you will find one person who shares my position and who might be able to engage you in the manner the thread deserves.

I request to be excused.

dont worry bro...I can wait. smiley

Grace Convention would come and go, this would remain... thanks for the apt response. I'd be waiting for you
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 9:25pm On Aug 07, 2014
Gombs: folks have over time on several threads here erroneously think the Church as it were in the bible (old and new church) practiced democracy. They tend to think everyone has a right to an opinion at ALL times, and makes it look like a cooperate federal organization.

The church of God DOES NOT practice democracy, it is not the church of the people, by the people and for the people. Paul instructed in his letter to the Romans verse 4, Chapter 15.

Romans 15:4English Standard Version (ESV)

4 For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

Korah's Rebellion proves completely that the Church DOES NOT practice democracy.

the story ended terribly for him and his crew.

what about Miram and Aaron Against Moses?

what about Baalam?

what about ...?

so many examples to offer. But why then would folks think it should be practiced in today's church?

Drummaboy made a remark in similitude to the above in a thread, and to avoid derailing that thread, i'm creating this one, for him to come defend what he said on the other thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/1842233/pentecostal-experience/3#25291956

i expect a civil discussion with DB on his above statement and Why he is against General Overseers , Senior Pastor , etc for he is toeing the line of Korah!

Check out this thread too sir!
https://www.nairaland.com/1386645/dangers-christian-criticism

1 Like

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 10:49pm On Aug 07, 2014
Kenny4lyfe:

Check out this thread too sir!
https://www.nairaland.com/1386645/dangers-christian-criticism

wow! nice job...wooooow
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by DrummaBoy(m): 11:11am On Aug 11, 2014
I believe I have sometimes for the question you have raised on this thread. I will attend to it soon. But please I request civility in the discussion. Anything close to childish tantrums, snide remarks, etc, will occasion my exit. And I will abide by those basic rules too.

1 Like

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by DrummaBoy(m): 12:25pm On Aug 11, 2014
The question that is being sort to be answered here is whether the church practices democracy. And in a case where this not, should they?

The straight forward answer is "No". The church does not practice democracy. I will however want to say that if the church does not practice democracy, should the church allow for autocracy then? Or should church allow for a situation, as in the days of Moses as the OP has shown, where one man leads an organized body of believers? The answer is equally "no".

When we speak of the church of God which Jesus Christ died for, we are speaking of a group of born again people united in purpose with or without a building. In this situation, Jesus Christ is the head of that church. Whatever might detracts from the clear view of Christ's headship should be discouraged. It is erroneous to resort to Moses to get an example of what the church is meant to be. Moses, like Christ after him, where two distinct circumstances permitted by God for specific purposes. After them both, it's clear that God desires a different manner of government in his church. When the people sort for a king from Samuel, a careful observer will realize that God preferred for Himself to rule the people directly. A king will detract from this. But he permitted it to their hurt. However, as we come into the New Testament, we begin to see an example of church government as God originally intended.

In Acts 15, a doctrinal dispute erupted that must be settled. The first ever church council was conveyed and the result of the meeting gives us an idea of who were the leaders. Paul and Barnabas spoke. The Judaizers spoke. Peter and James spoke. This James was the brother of Jesus. He was not an apostle in a strict sense. By his conclusion we could tell that there was a body of elders speaking, while he, James, was a mere spokesman. Remember his words "It seem good to the Holy Ghost and to us..." The decision was a collective one and not a one man show. When Paul wrote his Pastoral epistles, he encouraged the enactment of a body of elders to lead the churches. An apostolic authority may have planted the church, but a body of elders must lead the church. So much so that the Pastor should answer to these men. In John epistles, he condemned a man who was running a church with the "GO" style - Diothrephes, saying Christians should not emulate such.

Having at the back of our minds what the NT says about elders leading a church, how do we then regard the things going on in our churches today?

I am sorry to say but the system of one man leading a church that pervade much of Christianity today is unscriptural. A church is a body of people. Such a body should be spiritual enough to elect (not in a democratic sense) a number of men (not women) to lead them. If it happens that one man comes up with a vision to lead an assembly, that man must appoint elders to work with him. These men, like when the deacons where chosen in Acts, must be men of faith and of the Spirit. All of them should be answerable to each others. The church could elect for a constitution; they may not. But a situation where one man is seen as the main figure: GO, GS, SO, etc, should be discouraged. It blurs the sight of Christ being Lord and should not be encouraged. A group of elders like this should be praying men, so that when decisions are made from proposed ideas, it would have the mark of God's Spirit on it. The body of elders may appoint a Pastor; they may choose not to. But the fact that the buck stops at the feet of a group of godly men, ensures the cases of leadership tyranny that run riot today do not occur. In a rare case where one man leading a fellowship does not have a body of elders to work with yet, that man should answer to another body of elders elsewhere until one is set up.

The case of Korah's rebellion should not be used as a justification for the one man system of church government. Moses, in the OT, typified a type of Christ or God. Korah's action was a clear rebellion against God. Moses was not autocratic; he was meek and those men sort to take advantage of this. God judged it.

Does this mean that Christians cannot express dissenting views under a body of elders? No. If a believer or group of believers in church have a dissenting view, they should be permitted to express it in private with the elders. The body of elders can listen to their views and they should sit down together like brethren and discuss it. I can assure you, that no ground will swallow any dissenter today in the church like Korah The elders might then decide on the views. If they disagree with this person or group, they should let this known to people like brethren will do. If the dissension continues, the group can be requested to leave the fellowship.

What must be protected at all cost in church, is freedom and not democracy. The church should be a place where people are accountable to each other. Elder or not, there should be a sense of equality among brethren. So the question of democracy should not come up at all. God's people should be led by a body of elders: men of faith and of the Spirit who are obviously led by God. When God leads a church, the tendency for dissension will be reduced. People usually dissent when there are apparent abuses that come as a result of oppression. I make bold to say that God is the author of some of these dissensions to draw the church's attention to it's complacency. Jesus is the head of his church and he has full liberty to express himself through anyone, including a dissenter. God's word, under the auspices of a group of godly elders, should be the final arbiter as it was in Acts 15.

Let me know whatever disagreement you mat have with the above.

1 Like

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 3:08pm On Aug 11, 2014
DrummaBoy: The question that is being sort to be answered here is whether the church practices democracy. And in a case where this not, should they?

The straight forward answer is "No". The church does not practice democracy. I will however want to say that if the church does not practice democracy, should the church allow for autocracy then? Or should church allow for a situation, as in the days of Moses as the OP has shown, where one man leads an organized body of believers? The answer is equally "no".

Can you please relate the above with Paul? Bible Scholars believed he was a sort of bishop. Heading ALL the churches in Asia. He had pastors he raised (see Timothy, Titus et al), had a presiding authority in settling issues in these churches; see his letterd to the Corinthians, Galatians, etc. Was Paul not the general Overseer of these churches?

When we speak of the church of God which Jesus Christ died for, we are speaking of a group of born again people united in purpose with or without a building. In this situation, Jesus Christ is the head of that church. Whatever might detracts from the clear view of Christ's headship should be discouraged. It is erroneous to resort to Moses to get an example of what the church is meant to be.

Moses led the old church, would you say God wasn't completely right with one man leading the flock?

Moses, like Christ after him, where two distinct circumstances permitted by God for specific purposes. After them both, it's clear that God desires a different manner of government in his church. When the people sort for a king from Samuel, a careful observer will realize that God preferred for Himself to rule the people directly.

From the above bold, how does it justify the fact that God had to send Moses to free his people, and still led them, and still asked Moses to raise leaders who'd help him lead the people? The raising of Joshua to follow after Moses etc. If God preferred to rule directly, what then does this verse imply?

Ephesians 4
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 1Co 12:28 [Jer 3:15]
12  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

And
Hebrews 13
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account,
that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

God has always chosen a leader to lead His church

A king will detract from this. But he permitted it to their hurt. However, as we come into the New Testament, we begin to see an example of church government as God originally intended.

Hmmm

In Acts 15, a doctrinal dispute erupted that must be settled. The first ever church council was conveyed and the result of the meeting gives us an idea of who were the leaders. Paul and Barnabas spoke. The Judaizers spoke. Peter and James spoke. This James was the brother of Jesus. He was not an apostle in a strict sense. By his conclusion we could tell that there was a body of elders speaking, while he, James, was a mere spokesman. Remember his words "It seem good to the Holy Ghost and to us..." The decision was a collective one and not a one man show.

In acts 15, how many churches or christians were present? Who led the churches of the gentiles?

When Paul wrote his Pastoral epistles, he encouraged the enactment of a body of elders to lead the churches.

To which churches was he writing to? Churches He didn't plant? He wrote to his brethren, for all sheep has a shepherd, Jesus made that illustration and whosoever that doesn't go through the shepherd to the sheep is a thief. Of course Timothy must need those who'd help him in Ephesus as the church grew, etc

An apostolic authority may have planted the church, but a body of elders must lead the church. So much so that the Pastor should answer to these men.

Who did paul answer to? How many elders did he answer to? But we know Timothy answered to Paul.

In John epistles, he condemned a man who was running a church with the "GO" style - Diothrephes, saying Christians should not emulate such.

Next time don't quote a line just to suit your argument, quote the whole
3 John 1:9 BBE
I sent a letter to the church, but Diotrephes, whose desire is ever to have the first place among them, will not have us there.
10  So if I come, I will keep in mind the things he does, talking against us with evil words: and as if this was not enough, he does not take the brothers into his house, and those who are ready to take them in, he keeps from doing so, putting them out of the church if they do.

Does verse ten now justified your claim that John condemned the GO kinda rulership?

Having at the back of our minds what the NT says about elders leading a church, how do we then regard the things going on in our churches today?

Go on

I am sorry to say but the system of one man leading a church that pervade much of Christianity today is unscriptural.

Relate that to Paul, and please provide scriptures. In his first letter to Timothy, second verse, third chapter, Paul gave directions on how a Bishop should be chosen. The word bishop there is Episkopos which means the superintendent, elder, or overseer of a Christian church

Question! Why did Paul want timothy to have overseers? Remember, Ephesus had a large Christian population!

The church is a body of people. Such a body should be spiritual enough to elect (not in a democratic sense) a number of men (not women) to lead them.

Who elected Paul? Timothy?

If it happens that one man comes up with a vision to lead an assembly, that man must appoint elders to work with him.

Who says the GOs of today doesnt have? RCCG? RCC? WINNERS? Eh?

These men, like when the deacons where chosen in Acts, must be men of faith and of the Spirit. All of them should be answerable to each others.

Who was Paul answerable to?

The church could elect for a constitution;

Thank God u used could...now see where u wanna bring politics into the church?

they may should not.

cool

But a situation where one man is seen as the main figure: GO, GS, SO, etc, should be discouraged.

Provide scriptures

It blurs the sight of Christ being Lord and should not be encouraged.

Now that's now completely unscriptural, and very DBish

A group of elders like this should be praying men, so that when decisions are made from proposed ideas, it would have the mark of God's Spirit on it. The body of elders may appoint a Pastor;

How may elders appointed Titus? Timothy?

they may choose not to. But the fact that the buck stops at the feet of a group of godly men, ensures the cases of leadership tyranny that run riot today do not occur. In a rare case where one man leading a fellowship does not have a body of elders to work with yet, that man should answer to another body of elders elsewhere until one is set up.

Pls, provide scriptures o! This one is completely DB's thought of how a church should be!

The case of Korah's rebellion should not be used as a justification for the one man system of church government.

Because? Or God wasnt right to have chose one man's leadership?

Moses, in the OT, typified a type of Christ or God. Korah's action was a clear rebellion against God. Moses was not autocratic; he was meek and those men sort to take advantage of this. God judged it.

So, in the New Testament, rebellion should be allowed because Christ is here now and we must demand our pastors to play by our rules? Who said Moses wasn't autocratic? Was he democratic? He for example said no one shd marry outside their tribe, but went his way and married an African. Folks protested his breach of the 'constitution' as u want it, when God came, what did He say to Miriam and Aaron? Did God mention anything about the rule? Those men took advantage of his meekness shey? U dey try o

Does this mean that Christians cannot express dissenting views under a body of elders? No. If a believer or group of believers in church have a dissenting view, they should be permitted to express it in private with the elders.

Some folks didn't like the idea of women coming to the church without hair coverings, how did they express the matter? Go consult Paul's 1st letter to the Corinthians church. Where they permitted, yes.... who did they ask? The Jews? Peter? John? Luke? No, they wrote to their Man of God, their GO, even though the church in Corinth had it's own pastor.

The body of elders can listen to their views and they should sit down together like brethren and discuss it. I can assure you, that no ground will swallow any dissenter today in the church like Korah The elders might then decide on the views. If they disagree with this person or group, they should let this known to people like brethren will do. If the dissension continues, the group can be requested to leave the fellowship.

And if such fellow was from CEC or RCCG or such, he comes right to NL, and gives hisnside of the story, and some notable folks here would readily back them up! They know them selves bro!

What must be protected at all cost in church, is freedom and not democracy.

Whats the difference between the two? undecided

The church should be a place where people are accountable to each other. Elder or not, there should be a sense of equality among brethren. So the question of democracy should not come up at all.

How? Remember moses, miriam and Aaron? These were all annointed folks, they were elders, how come there was no sense of equality amongst them?

God's people should be led by a body of elders: men of faith and of the Spirit who are obviously led by God.

Provide scriptures or put "my thoughts actually" after making such statement as above!,

When God leads a church, the tendency for dissension will be reduced. People usually dissent when there are apparent abuses that come as a result of oppression.

Am sure Korah thought of so too.. he felt oppressed too

I make bold to say that God is the author of some of these dissensions to draw the church's attention to it's complacency. Jesus is the head of his church and he has full liberty to express himself through anyone, including a dissenter. God's word, under the auspices of a group of godly elders, should be the final arbiter as it was in Acts 15.

U forgot to add "my thoughts actually"

Let me know whatever disagreement you mat have with the above.

Surely.

Ummm...pls, can you keep the writ a bit short? Thanks
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by DrummaBoy(m): 5:43pm On Aug 11, 2014
^^^

Sorry, while I read your post I cannot respond to it. I believe I have gone past this level of piecemeal bit by bit responses that is common with nairalanders. I request a more robust rejoinder.

You may return to the above post and craft it into one post and then the discission will continue.

OK, please, it's a simple request.

1 Like

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 6:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
DrummaBoy: ^^^

Sorry, while I read your post I cannot respond to it. I believe I have gone past this level of piecemeal bit by bit responses that is common with nairalanders. I request a more robust rejoinder.

You may return to the above post and craft it into one post and then the discission will continue.

OK, please, it's a simple request.

See excuse na! U wrote me an essay, a long one...and I picked what you said and challenged em...and here u go "I have gone past this level of piecemeal bit by bit responses"

I will not return to your post, and if u can't respond to my post, I can understand.

Thanks for your time, I do know u are busy with Grace convention, and since u have gone past some self acclaimed levels on NL, I do hope u find those in your level. Cheers
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by DrummaBoy(m): 7:38pm On Aug 11, 2014
That's fine with me.

Bye.
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Aug 11, 2014
Lemme take up this debate since drummB is busy with the convention. I am in agreement with the new testament multiplicity of ministry where a set man should also be in place.

There is actually governmental order in the church in Antioch where there were teachers and prophets not just a single pastor ministry as we have nowadays.

I would like to use this gentile church as a perfect example here. This church had a multiple ministry under the directives of the Holy Spirit. Even the Apostle Paul was submitted to its leadership.

Even the so-called "great" apostle Paul was not a freelance minister. He, as all true ministries, fell under the authority of God's government. Paul was held accountable. The church at antioch sent him out and it was to them he reported upon his return. Antioch was not under a church system, but under a multiplicity of ministry. Antioch was a church that was properly taught and one that was in order. It was at antioch that they were first called christians, because it was here that they first learned the disciplines of Christ that required proper church government.

No where in the new testament is someone called "the pastor" of a church with a one-man leadership role. Plurality of eldership is the new testament plan.

They ordained elders(plural), in every church(city)( see Acts 14:23). God always sets a man(set ministry) in leadership who raises elders into their place of oversight.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 8:15pm On Aug 11, 2014
Bidam: Lemme take up this debate since drummB is busy with the convention. I am in agreement with the new testament multiplicity of ministry where a set man should also be in place.

There is actually governmental order in the church in Antioch where there were teachers and prophets not just a single pastor ministry as we have nowadays.

I would like to use this gentile church as a perfect example here. This church had a multiple ministry under the directives of the Holy Spirit. Even the Apostle Paul was submitted to its leadership.

Even the so-called "great" apostle Paul was not a freelance minister. He, as all true ministries, fell under the authority of God's government. Paul was held accountable. The church at antioch sent him out and it was to them he reported upon his return. Antioch was not under a church system, but under a multiplicity of ministry. Antioch was a church that was properly taught and one that was in order. It was at antioch that they were first called christians, because it was here that they first learned the disciplines of Christ that required proper church government.

No where in the new testament is someone called "the pastor" of a church with a one-man leadership role. Plurality of eldership is the new testament plan.

They ordained elders(plural), in every church(city)( see Acts 14:23). God always sets a man(set ministry) in leadership who raises elders into their place of oversight.

I don't really get ur stand...DB said God's people should have their right to freedom at all time (a suggestive democratic setting), and that he is against such thing as GO, superintendent, etc. Are you of same page?

But from ur above post, who was the pastor of the church at ephesus, and if the church there was run by elders, why did Paul give him the cousel on criterion on how bishops, deacons and such elders be selected, if there were already elders in the church at ephesus?
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 12, 2014
Gombs:

I don't really get ur stand...DB said God's people should have their right to freedom at all time (a suggestive democratic setting), and that he is against such thing as GO, superintendent, etc. Are you of same page?
I have read what both of you have to say on this issue and i am afraid that i am neither for you both. The type of government drummaboy is suggestion is congregational which places authorithy in the hands of selected members of the local assembly. Church boards usually run these churches. Although they have pastors, it is with a board gathered from among church members that decision rests. The pastor serves at the discretion of the board. You on the other hand is talking about episcopal(ONE MAN RULE) government. All these are patterned after men's tradition and not according to the bible.

But from ur above post, who was the pastor of the church at ephesus, and if the church there was run by elders, why did Paul give him the cousel on criterion on how bishops, deacons and such elders be selected, if there were already elders in the church at ephesus?
My post talked about Antioch not Ephesus, but i will obliged you. Paul did not leave timothy to run the church in ephesus as a one man rule. Timothy was a co traveller with Paul. Paul was actually afraid of teachers propounding false doctrines in the apostle's name, leaving timothy to oversee these churches was intended to strengthen them in the apostolic doctrine. As you well know the ephesian church was birthed in controversy where magicians, jews that were casting out devils and a large number of idol followers who worship artemis held the city sway. Paul had to assemble the elders before his depature to Jerusalem. You should note that apart from timothy representing Paul when he departed, the churches are having multiplicity of ministries. Paul never coveted anyone silver or gold or clothings. He even boasted about his hands supplying his own needs and that of timothy( Acts 20:34).

How do i know that these churches have pluralistic eldership? Read Ephesians 4:8; 11-13. These are the Five fold ministry gifts that God has ordained for every local assembly. But am afraid that in modern churches it is non existent. It is ONE MAN that ascribes all aspects of the fivefold ministry to himself and thus dwell among his people as the earthly representative of God, atlthough you will not want to admit this, but the One man show like Moses of the OT has now become the mediator between God and the Local assembly. This shouldn't be so. God's system should be made of multiple ministries and not episcopal where one man lords it over the laity. A minister is called to SERVE and not to lord it over a congregation.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Orikinla(m): 11:01am On Aug 12, 2014
God Himself practices democracy.
He does not force anyone to believe in Him and gives everyone the right to choose.
Remember His words.
[size=14pt]
Come, let us reason together. -Isaiah 1:18 KJV, Holy Bible.

Who is on the Lord's side? - Exodus 32:26, Holy Bible.[/size]
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 11:06am On Aug 12, 2014
Bidam: I have read what both of you have to say on this issue and i am afraid that i am neither for you both.

Please state clearly your stand.

The type of government drummaboy is suggestion is congregational which places authorithy in the hands of selected members of the local assembly. Church boards usually run these churches. Although they have pastors, it is with a board gathered from among church members that decision rests. The pastor serves at the discretion of the board. You on the other hand is talking about episcopal(ONE MAN RULE) government. All these are patterned after men's tradition and not according to the bible.

Ok

My post talked about Antioch not Ephesus, but i will obliged you. Paul did not leave timothy to run the church in ephesus as a one man rule. Timothy was a co traveller with Paul. Paul was actually afraid of teachers propounding false doctrines in the apostle's name, leaving timothy to oversee these churches was intended to strengthen them in the apostolic doctrine. As you well know the ephesian church was birthed in controversy where magicians, jews that were casting out devils and a large number of idol followers who worship artemis held the city sway. Paul had to assemble the elders before his depature to Jerusalem. You should note that apart from timothy representing Paul when he departed, the churches are having multiplicity of ministries. Paul never coveted anyone silver or gold or clothings. He even boasted about his hands supplying his own needs and that of timothy( Acts 20:34).

Ok

How do i know that these churches have pluralistic eldership? Read Ephesians 4:8; 11-13. These are the Five fold ministry gifts that God has ordained for every local assembly.

Certainly, and most churches I know have these offices... CEC for example has

But am afraid that in modern churches it is non existent.

Give examples or are you assuming?

It is ONE MAN that ascribes all aspects of the fivefold ministry to himself and thus dwell among his people as the earthly representative of God,

That's strange! You sid paul was answerable to the elders in Jerusalem, right? I want to know whether Paul was an overseer of the churches in Asia or not!

atlthough you will not want to admit this,

Why such conclusion?
undecided

but the One man show like Moses of the OT has now become the mediator between God and the Local assembly.

If God chose the one man show in the OT, what abolished it in the NT?

This shouldn't be so. God's system should be made of multiple ministries and not episcopal where one man lords it over the laity. A minister is called to SERVE and not to lord it over a congregation.

Your opinion!
Anyway what was Paul trying to say here?

1 Corinthians 4:15 BBE
15  For even if you had ten thousand teachers in Christ, you have not more than one father: for in Christ Jesus I have given birth to you through the good news
16 So my desire is that you take me as your example.

17  For this cause I have sent Timothy to you, who is my dear and true child in the Lord; he will make clear to you my ways in Christ, even as I am teaching everywhere in every church

1 Like

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 11:09am On Aug 12, 2014
Orikinla: God Himself practices democracy.
He does not force anyone to believe in Him and gives everyone the right to choose.
Remember His words.
[size=14pt]
Come, let us reason together. -Isaiah 1:18 KJV, Holy Bible.

Who is on the Lord's side? - Exodus 32:26, Holy Bible.[/size]

Really? Why didn't he call a Court proceeding for Korah? Why didn't He let Miriam and Aaron put up a defence? Why didn't He wait for human rights group to give a go ahead for the destruction of Sodom? Why didn't he let the children of Israel cast a vote for their King Saul, David etc?

1 Like

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
Gombs:

Please state clearly your stand.
I have said so in my previous post that there should be multiplicity of ministeries in the local assembly just like the Antioch and Ephesian church, for you to still ask me again and again beats me. No one person except Jesus is called to operate in the five fold ministry gift.
The apostle governs, even Paul wasn't initially an apostle he was under authorithy and was held accountable in antioch until God called him and sent him forth with barnabas..pls do read Acts 13.
The prophet guides-points the way. Paul wasn't a prophet, Barnabas was. The evangelist gathers-Timothy was encouraged in that aspect by Paul...Philip was called an evangelist...The pastor guards or cares for the sheep..Titus was one..The teacher grounds or establishes..Simeon called Niger was one..But for a so called man of God to ascribe all those giftings to himself is not only sickening but preposterous.

Certainly, and most churches I know have these offices... CEC for example has
Give examples or are you assuming?
This is a lie, i have been to many of these churches including yours and i can confidently say that most of the pastors ascribes all aspects of the fivefold ministry..they prophesy, they preach, they teach, they govern, they pastor, they gather, etc...

That's strange! You sid paul was answerable to the elders in Jerusalem, right?
I did not say so scripture said so in Acts in Acts 15:22..can you point where Paul was lording it over them in the verse i quoted
I want to know whether Paul was an overseer of the churches in Asia or not!
Can you tell us the meaning of overseer? Paul planted the churches...Apollos by right watered..It is God that gives increase not some one man pastor sitting in Jerusalem and waiting for pledges and offerings to be collected for him from branches over all asia.

Why such conclusion?
undecided
Like i said the period of one man show is over.God is raising sons not a Moses..Jesus is the pattern Son.

If God chose the one man show in the OT, what abolished it in the NT?
You don't put new wine in old wine skin...Jesus is the High Priest and all believers are priest..Jesus is the mediator between God and Man not some weak imperfect pastor.

Your opinion!
No it is scriptures ..Jesus served, Paul served, Timothy served..Jesus set the pace he said if anyone wants to be great in God's kingdom, he should serve and not lord it like the gentiles. People are saved to serve God by serving others and not to amass wealth by building monuments and acquiring properties.
Anyway what was Paul trying to say here?

15  For even if you had ten thousand teachers in Christ, you have not more than one father: for in Christ Jesus I have given birth to you through the good news
16 So my desire is that you take me as your example.

17  For this cause I have sent Timothy to you, who is my dear and true child in the Lord; he will make clear to you my ways in Christ, even as I am teaching everywhere in every church
Thank God you quoted this scripture....This is a call to discipleship but sadly how many of our so called leaders are able to raise legitimate sons today? They just have large number of followers that's all...Our leaders are not SERVANTS, they are ego centered and most churches these days have turned to family businesses and social bless me clubs..It is far better to have a small congregation that you can disciple sons to maturity than large followers who hero worship you as a figure head father...It is all about relationships...but what do we have these days..These men are unapproachable with body guards everywhere and they are arrogant and pompous...That is not a father my brother..that is a boss..Shalom.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Joshthefirst(m): 3:43am On Aug 13, 2014
Interesting thread. I am prone to bidams view as I think it scriptural.

I have some questions though Sir:

1. Is the five-fold ministry intended as a leadership board God set up for each local body?

2. Some local bodies are not grown enough to have all ministers of the five-fold ministry present or available yet. What about that?

I believe the Church is more than a private branch-like denominational pentecostal body. I believe it is made up of men working under the holy Spirit, who have been called to do different edifying things, and I believe these men, these leaders of the Church today, should also work together, as members of the same body, and be regionally cooperative even if they have different ministerial names.

Most importantly I believe they should be accountable to each other, as we all have the Holy Spirit. It is dangerous for a man not to be accountable to close brothers.
I have seen God always put someone around me every time, whom I am accountable to. Who corrects me sometimes, and who bears me witness, that I too am guided by the Holy Ghost.

We see only very little of this in our region of battle, Nigeria. I have been praying though, that the church will rise and come together as a true body, and work together, God giving it increase.

I believe We should always be accountable to our brethren of like mind Sir.

Alwaystrue(ma'am smiley ), please join this conversation.

1 Like

Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 7:07am On Aug 13, 2014
[quote author=Bidam]
I have said so in my previous post that there should be multiplicity of ministeries in the local assembly just like the Antioch and Ephesian church, for you to still ask me again and again beats me. No one person except Jesus is called to operate in the five fold ministry gift.

Hmmmm, bidam.... not even Paul?

The apostle governs, even Paul wasn't initially an apostle he was under authorithy and was held accountable in antioch until God called him and sent him forth with barnabas..pls do read Acts 13.
The prophet guides-points the way. Paul wasn't a prophet, Barnabas was. The evangelist gathers-Timothy was encouraged in that aspect by Paul...Philip was called an evangelist...The pastor guards or cares for the sheep..Titus was one..The teacher grounds or establishes..Simeon called Niger was one..But for a so called man of God to ascribe all those giftings to himself is not only sickening but preposterous.

Hmmm bidam o

This is a lie, i have been to many of these churches including yours and i can confidently say that most of the pastors ascribes all aspects of the fivefold ministry..they prophesy, they preach, they teach, they govern, they pastor, they gather, etc...

U should be careful on ur invectives, why would you say it's a lie? Google deacons, apostles, evangelists etc about CEC. If a church is not large enough to have all these offices, must they then do it so that u can be happy?

I did not say so scripture said so in Acts in Acts 15:22..can you point where Paul was lording it over them in the verse i quoted

Smart move, I went to the Gentile churches, Corinthians, Galatians, Thessalonians etc...u still wanna stick to your guns... why didn't the church in Corinth write to the elders in Jerusalem?

Can you tell us the meaning of overseer?

A bishop...Episkopos, read Paul' s letter to timothy, titus and also to the church in Philipi.... a bishop means any curator, guardian or superintendent, elder, or overseer of a Christian church, now please explain why Paul wanted these churches to have oversers, like he was overseeing all these churches

Paul planted the churches...Apollos by right watered..It is God that gives increase

His happened in tye Corinthians church right? Or u saying it happened in Ephesus, Thessalonica, Galatia etc?

not some one man pastor sitting in Jerusalem and waiting for pledges and offerings to be collected for him from branches over all asia.

Funny opinion! grin

Like i said the period of one man show is over.God is raising sons not a Moses..Jesus is the pattern Son.

Your opinion

You don't put new wine in old wine skin...Jesus is the High Priest and all believers are priest..Jesus is the mediator between God and Man not some weak imperfect pastor.

Interesting opinion

No it is scriptures ..Jesus served, Paul served, Timothy served..Jesus set the pace he said if anyone wants to be great in God's kingdom, he should serve and not lord it like the gentiles. People are saved to serve God by serving others and not to amass wealth by building monuments and acquiring properties.
Thank God you quoted this scripture....This is a call to discipleship but sadly how many of our so called leaders are able to raise legitimate sons today? They just have large number of followers that's all...Our leaders are not SERVANTS, they are ego centered and most churches these days have turned to family businesses and social bless me clubs..It is far better to have a small congregation that you can disciple sons to maturity than large followers who hero worship you as a figure head father...It is all about relationships...but what do we have these days..These men are unapproachable with body guards everywhere and they are arrogant and pompous...That is not a father my brother..that is a boss..Shalom.

grin
Don't even know what to do with the above. But for you to say this was a call to discipleship is completely bizzare...
  For even if you had ten thousand teachers in Christ, you have not more than one father: for in Christ Jesus I have given birth to you through the good news

Father above is from the greek Patèr which means one who has infused his own spirit into others (remember Moses? God took some spirit off Moses and put on those chosen as leaders), one who actuates and governs their minds, it is also means a title of honour, the originator and transmitter of anything, the authors of a family or society of persons animated by the same spirit as himself

Anyways, I know there are different pattern of government in the church today, but it certainly aint democratic, that was the purpose of this thread...we've surely digressed, and I'd please love us to stick to the topic- Does the church of God practice democracy,-should they?

Thanks Bidam for ur usual interesting read..u were right in some place. wink
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 13, 2014
Joshthefirst: Interesting thread. I am prone to bidams view as I think it scriptural.

I have some questions though Sir:

1. Is the five-fold ministry intended as a leadership board God set up for each local body?
No, there is a set minister God gave the vision to. The set minister's gifting may be any of the five-faceted ministry gifts, but just like Paul the apostle in his position of rule, he will be an apostle to the local church. The set minister provides godly vision and foundation. He establishes a base upon which a multiplicity of ministry can be built.

Like i said earlier Paul was called an apostle after he was sent forth from the antioch church to establish foundations for new churches. Aithough he operated at times in one or more of the five fold giftings...he had the measure or rule of an apostle. The person whom God calls over the work is SET by God and functions as an apostle whether he is an apostle by calling or has another ministry gift.

2. Some local bodies are not grown enough to have all ministers of the five-fold ministry present or available yet. What about that?
If the church has not matured enough to that order of government. The set minister should recognize which of the ascension gifts he operates in, so he can allow himself to be surrounded with others who have giftings and offices that he lacks.When this occurs, that church will receive the entire ministry God has for them.

I believe the Church is more than a private branch-like denominational pentecostal body. I believe it is made up of men working under the holy Spirit, who have been called to do different edifying things, and I believe these men, these leaders of the Church today, should also work together, as members of the same body, and be regionally cooperative even if they have different ministerial names.

Most importantly I believe they should be accountable to each other, as we all have the Holy Spirit. It is dangerous for a man not to be accountable to close brothers.
I have seen God always put someone around me every time, whom I am accountable to. Who corrects me sometimes, and who bears me witness, that I too am guided by the Holy Ghost.
You are very correct in this assertions, in addition many may be confused in establishing a multiplicity of ministry, for it is not the way they have been accustomed to seeing the church operate. This is why it is wise not to get ahead of the Holy Spirit in trying to establish this pattern. People need time, preparation and teaching.
A pastor is called to lead a local assembly should never try to bring forth a multiplicity out of frustration because of present situations, but only by the witness of the Holy Spirit with a clear understanding and patience to allow God to prepare both him and the people.

We see only very little of this in our region of battle, Nigeria. I have been praying though, that the church will rise and come together as a true body, and work together, God giving it increase.
Sadly so, my brother and i say Amen to that.

I believe We should always be accountable to our brethren of like mind Sir.
Yes we should.

Alwaystrue(ma'am smiley ), please join this conversation.
I would love to hear my sister's view on this too.cheesy
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 13, 2014
[quote author=Gombs][/quote] I don't think we digressed, you may not agree with my point of view but all my posts have been talking about is that the church should NOT be a democracy. God hates rule by laity in the church because it places people in the position of God.

People decide for themselves who will be their teacher, what will be taught and how the church will operate. This rule was never sanctioned by God in His word.

This type of government seldom allows for proper correction, edification, or strength because it is outside the order of God.

Without proper order it is difficult to go from glory to glory or from faith to faith..since proper correction is limited by laity's control, many times the rebellious and gossips control the church. Instead of being led by a pastor set by God, they are led by their understanding of what God would want. Some even go as far as to dictate to the pastor what should be taught or spoken.

The Church should not be a democracy that is governed by the people, but a theocracy that is governed by God.Bless you bro.
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Gombs(m): 10:05am On Aug 13, 2014
Bidam: I don't think we digressed, you may not agree with my point of view but all my posts have been talking about is that the church should NOT be a democracy. God hates rule by laity in the church because it places people in the position of God.

Yeah...u r right here. Very very

People decide for themselves who will be their teacher, what will be taught and how the church will operate. This rule was never sanctioned by God in His word.

I think I met such in ECWA or so, am not sure, but they hire and fire a pastor they chose! They decide what he teaches or preaches... it wss quite troubling

This type of government seldom allows for proper correction, edification, or strength because it is outside the order of God.

Surely

Without proper order it is difficult to go from glory to glory or from faith to faith..since proper correction is limited by laity's control, many times the rebellious and gossips control the church. Instead of being led by a pastor set by God, they are led by their understanding of what God would want. Some even go as far as to dictate to the pastor what should be taught or spoken.

Wow, u nailed it, , somewhere I think we are on same page... now, churches who does such, like how DB suggested should be... how then do we merge this with the growth of the brethren in such churches? Cos obviously, the church would be lacking in alot of spiritual exercises.

Alwaystrue, Joagbaje and image123, candour, would be a great input here. I've heard where church elders want a democratic kinda setting, trying to elect a pastor
The Church should not be a democracy that is governed by the people, but a theocracy that is governed by God.Bless you bro.[/quote]
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Candour(m): 1:55pm On Aug 13, 2014
I'd been studying the thread and believe it'll be a great one for learning and spiritual growth as long as we all cooperate to keep it 'clean'.

Been a bit busy with some domestic affairs but I'll find the time to contribute.

Cheers and God bless
Re: Does The Church Of God Practice Democracy?- Should They? by Image123(m): 9:12pm On Aug 13, 2014
i no get much to say oh. Theocracy maybe.

1 Corinthians 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tb Joshua Had Sent 4,000 Aointing Water To Ebola Victims Of Sierra Leone / Ghosts In Solid Form / Testimonies Of Longevity...it Happening Again In Canaanland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 192
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.