Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola (71492 Views)

Doctor Dies Of Lassa Fever In Rivers / Lagos Doctor Dies After Attending To Patient (photo) / Abimbola Awoliyi: First Female Doctor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by philips70(m): 2:41pm On Aug 06, 2014
saintneo: That Mr Sawyer was a biological weapon host.

In some other news, the man fought the doctors and nurses treating him, he even splashed them with his urine......direct exposure.

quoting citizenisb

My honest opinion, if you have had contact with this dead Mr Sawyer within the past two weeks kindly make the honourable sacrifice by indicating yourself; furthermore, all the infinitesimal contacts with the contacts of Mr Sawyer should reveal themselves.

Please we need to save ourselves and others. I know it sounds wicked but we can't allow this to spread in Nigeria.

I said it here some days ago there is a seeming conspiracy in sending that Liberian man to Nigeria after showing huge signs of Ebola. Diplomatic terrorism. Something like if maybe Nigerians are affected something meaningful could be done. But apparently they got it wrong. We have enough on our hands with a helpless government who are only interested on electoral fortunes and watch thousands die from insurgency.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by NewNigeriaMind: 2:42pm On Aug 06, 2014
GodMode:

Pls go and stand on the express and pray to God to stop all the cars from moving...

Science gives us miracles religion tells us about miracles.

God will not do for men what he has given men the brains and ability to do for themselves.

Science is God manifestation of ideas to solve our problem....the problem with Africa is, rather than use their God given brains to solve common problems, they fast and pray for a magic which is not even a miracle. A miracle is a person using his head to imagine a kite flying till he made plane.

Although there are world issues you need God intervention directly, but most of the world's problems and Africa problems can be solved by Africans themselves.

Hence why I don't pray for good leaders, God has already given us the ability to identify good leaders ( you cannot compare Fashola to Jonathan or pat Utomi, yet Pat Utomi has been made irrelevant by the very people he can use his knowledge to help, they prefer the man with no shoes but zero intelligence), whether we now make sure they get to the right positions is up to us.

God be with us all.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by GodMode: 2:42pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by zeongeon: 2:43pm On Aug 06, 2014
Reiyvinn:

I can't believe people still ask this silly question in the 21st century!

I am going to where I was before I was born: NON-EXISTENCE!

This same thing that happens to animals is the same that will happen to human beings.
I can't believe people still say silly things like there is no God in this 21st century..duhhh..Well good to know ur an animal..I don't know about u but animals are not human beings they are very different.
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 06, 2014
Missonas:

If that's your believe, fine.But there is a Satan and he is mean!

god, satan, angels, spirits, witches, e.t.c. All these don't exist!!

The invention of satan enabled man escape taking responsibility for the damages he has caused (blame it on the devil)

and the invention of God is divided into two:

i.) to ignore reality and give false sense of security, and,

ii.) to gain advantage over the masses through mind-control, using man's fear of death as a tool.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by GodMode: 2:47pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 06, 2014
Oh Jonathan, how could you and your selfish cabinet members have allowed Patrick Slayer(yes, may his wicked soul continue to roast in pieces) slip through MMIA? Why didn't you take any action when the ebola news broke in March? Now this guy, even in death is slaying innocent Nigerians!

Boko Haram, poverty, ebola... Where is the good luck your name carries? God, please pull us out of this pit that our clueless, visionless leaders have dumped us lest we perish!

Calling on our reputable men (and women) of God to slow down on prosperity messgaes and devote more time to this ebola thing o! Let our govt. devote some money and manpower towards finding scientific solution to this problem asap. God, manifest yourself in our Country.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by petreli08: 2:48pm On Aug 06, 2014
ACM10:

Why are you feeding half-truth to the public? The incubation period of ebola virus is 10 - 21 days. Please correct that info. Others are correct.

Correction too...its 2-21 days
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 06, 2014
Reiyvinn:

@GodMode
please talk to them! Please talk to these FOOOOOOOLS!!

@MissShakira why ask for God's protection from something he shouldn't have allowed in the first place?? Is God that powerless Yet more and more innocent keep dying from this pestilence everyday and you still believe that a God actually exists out there?

FURCK GOD! GOD IS DEAD! GOD DOES NOT EXIST!!

Furck Father,

Furck Son,

Furck Holy Stuuupid Spirit!
Honey u realy need Christ in yr lif

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by repogirl(f): 2:48pm On Aug 06, 2014
Nigeria! We Nigerians know how to lie to ourselves, our military cannot speak the truth to save their lives and now our health sector! Lagos state has been blabbing since and if you listen to them, it would really seem like they know what they are doing, you people should better be truthful about this thing so people can come to our aid before it becomes a blown out epidemic!
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by BJO: 2:51pm On Aug 06, 2014
SirShymex: Darn!! Mr. Ebola the e-baller is getting scary!!

Anyway, can the medical students, or courses related to medical sciences on nairaland help us out here. If Ebola started in 1976, and since then it has only killed 1,500 folks. However, with the recent outbreak in West Africa, the same virus has killed about 1,000 people within 5-6 months - why's the West African ebola virus more vicious than the East African variant? Or has the ebola virus mutated since the first outbreak, and it's now deadlier and contagious?

Please, I need research papers...because there's nothing in the media explaining why this new variant is so different. This whole thing is getting scarier by day and we need to understand what we're dealing with before it spreads to other parts of planet.

Exactly my thought..why the sudden deadly spread if it has been around for that long...
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by ReubenAbati: 2:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
Richard Preston
Transworld, Dec 31, 2012 - Science - 384 pages

Imagine a killer with the infectiousness of the common cold and power of the Black Death. Imagine something so deadly and contagious that it wipes out 90% of those it touches. Imagine an organism against which there is no defence. But you don't need to imagine. Such a killer exists: it is a virus and its name is Ebola.

The Hot Zone tells what happens when the unthinkable becomes reality: when a deadly virus, from the rainforests of Africa, crosses continents and infects a monkey house ten miles from the White House. Ebola is that reality. It has the power to decimate the world's population. Try not to panic. It will be back. There is nothing you can do...
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by GodMode: 2:52pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by zeongeon: 2:55pm On Aug 06, 2014
GodMode:

There is a difference between a god and a Creator.

There is no god but there is a creator.
hmmm..why u shooting ur self in the leg with contradiction..Who is this creator Doesn't he have a name

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 06, 2014
yomola:

"If Wishes Were Horses: Using Technology To Curb The Spread Of Ebola?
by St Naija
It is a nightmare brought to life. Our worst fears confirmed, the deadly Ebola virus has arrived in Nigeria and already at least 8 people are feared to be infected.

Discovered in 1976, Ebola has been profiled as an 'African Disease' that is a reflection of poor healthcare service. The recent outbreak however puts that line of thought in doubt as well as questions all previous assumptions and knowledge about the ailment.

Actually, don't be surprised....Ebola is spreading because we do not have good preventive health care measures.(Since the days of the late Prof Ransome-Kuti.).

For instance, the co-discoverer of the virus has been quoted as saying that he wouldn't be worries about sitting next to an Ebola patient on a train except the person vomited on him or something. He went ahead to cite instances of children living in houses with Ebola patients without contacting the disease, in 1976.

The 2014 version of Ebola seems quite different. Despite the use of full Personal Protective Gear (Masks, gloves, goggles,scrubs), health-workers are getting infected.

Health care workers have died in previous outbreaks....examples include Matthew Lukwiya(died in Uganda's 2000 ebola outbreak). and [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayinga_N%27Seka]Mayinga N'seka [/url](died in DRC''s infamous 1976 outbreak.)...among others.

Mr Sawyer, an American who flew into Nigeria with the disease and was seen in a hospital in Lagos for barely 72 hours and yet at least 4 medical personnel that attended to him are believed to be infected as well.

See point above...plus Nigerian medical workers have had no experience with Ebola. Mistakes happen.
This raises questions.

1. Is the transmission of this virus fully understood?

More work needs to be done....but transmission appears to be via close contact with body fluids from a symptomatic patient. The only case of airborne transmission appears to be from infected pigs to primates (monkeys) under lab conditions.No airborne human-human transmission has been recorded.

2. Is this strain of Ebola different? If yes, how?

The strain appears to be similar to the Zaire strain that was implicated in the infamous 1975 outbreak.

3. Can we continue to use the usual methods of patient care and nursing despite the huge risks?

Full barrier nursing plus isolation of patients for now.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 06, 2014
MODIFIED
zeongeon: I can't believe people still say silly things like there is no God in this 21st century..duhhh..Well good to know ur an animal..I don't know about u but animals are not human beings they are very different.

Look who's talking *witholds laughter*

Human Being is just a classification or name. We belong to the class "ANIMAL."

The word "animal" was derived from the Latin word "animalis" which means "to have breath" or "be a breather."

you pretty much see there isn't any difference expect for class (e.g anthropods, primates, e.t.c)

the only thing possessed by humans that has a higher degree above other animals is the brain. That is why we can to invent gods, satans, angels, e.t.c. Besides the brain, the other animals are far better with other senses.

The only class of Living Thing that differs COMPLETELY from man Is Plant. (non-animal, non-breather).

So go back to school.
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by piagetskinner(m): 2:58pm On Aug 06, 2014
naptu2: Back in April Labaran Maku said that we had stocked enough vaccines in case there's an outbreak of ebola in Nigeria. Where are they?
U dey believe that one?...that guy is an expert in telling lies

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Praktikals(m): 2:59pm On Aug 06, 2014
Kanwulia: Instant death by suffocation! grin
I dare not tell anyone I am travelling to Nigeria. . . I WILL MOST DEF LOSE MY JOB! grin
Nigeria is now a bonafide EBOLA colony!

I will not be visiting till after BOKO-HARAM, EBOLA AND JONATHAN have all HANDED OVER power-FAILURE!!!!

*kissing my AMERICAN PASSPORT and beaming with pride* grin
God pass you
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by GodMode: 3:02pm On Aug 06, 2014
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 06, 2014
nora544:
I know where you can read it and it is from the germans institute in Hamburg, my problem is that they have their informations only in german.

I will explane you with some words why it is now different

look where it was before did you see big cities in this parts of africa.

now it is in big cities that is the problem

that is an information from a medicine newspaper in UK about the new outbreak.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa1404505

Thanks. I've got a language translator app on my laptop. I'll check it now.

Also, I just discovered that there are five variants of the virus, and only four of them actually affect humans. And also, it mostly likely started from monkeys or fruit bats - just like HIV.

Hopefully, those in Nigeria will tell us the ebola virus variant in the country...since it seems it's contagious.

I also found this now:

Experts say the risk of travelers contracting Ebola is considered low because it requires direct contact with bodily fluids or secretions such as urine, blood, sweat or saliva. The virus can’t be spread like flu through casual contact or breathing in the same air.

Patients are contagious only once the disease has progressed to the point they show symptoms, according to the World Health Organization. The most vulnerable are health care workers and relatives who come in much closer contact with the sick.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/31/us-peace-corps-evacuation-ebola-west-africa

^^^^Evidently, the disease is contagious and they need to start keeping infected people in an isolated place.
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by delishpot: 3:04pm On Aug 06, 2014
Omero: U go fear grammar, but why?

Have mercy.
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 06, 2014
MissShakira: Honey u realy need Christ in yr lif

say that to the birds.
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 06, 2014
SirShymex: Darn!! Mr. Ebola the e-baller is getting scary!!

Anyway, can the medical students, or courses related to medical sciences on nairaland help us out here. If Ebola started in 1976, and since then it has only killed 1,500 folks. However, with the recent outbreak in West Africa, the same virus has killed about 1,000 people within 5-6 months - why's the West African ebola virus more vicious than the East African variant? Or has the ebola virus mutated since the first outbreak, and it's now deadlier and contagious?

Please, I need research papers...because there's nothing in the media explaining why this new variant is so different. This whole thing is getting scarier by day and we need to understand what we're dealing with before it spreads to other parts of planet.

Still early days for now...but the strain may have evolved from the same ancestral virus as the Zaire strain implicated in the 1976 outbreak.

As this research paper in the New England Journal Of Medicine puts it...

Phylogenetic analysis of the full-length sequences established a separate clade for the Guinean EBOV strain in sister relationship with other known EBOV strains. This suggests that the EBOV strain from Guinea has evolved in parallel with the strains from the Democratic Republic of Congo and Gabon from a recent ancestor and has not been introduced from the latter countries into Guinea. Potential reservoirs of EBOV, fruit bats of the species Hypsignathus monstrosus, Epomops franqueti, and Myonycteris torquata, are present in large parts of West Africa.18 It is possible that EBOV has circulated undetected in this region for some time. The emergence of the virus in Guinea highlights the risk of EBOV outbreaks in the whole West African subregion.

So,in other words....a brother strain to the Zaire strain....from the same father so to speak.

And yes....viruses get mutated as they pass from person to person....and in the process get deadlier(Isn't evolution fun?)
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by BJO: 3:07pm On Aug 06, 2014
nora544:

I know where you can read it and it is from the germans institute in Hamburg, my problem is that they have their informations only in german.

I will explane you with some words why it is now different

look where it was before did you see big cities in this parts of africa.

now it is in big cities that is the problem

that is an information from a medicine newspaper in UK about the new outbreak.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa1404505

I don't think it has to do with big or small cities..why have we not heard that it wiped a whole community..if it has been around for about 40yrs and it is this deadly.

Then, how was it curtailed when it first broke out?

Anyway, one need to be more vigilant and take necessary precautions.
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 06, 2014
BJO:

Then, how was it curtailed when it first broke out?

Immediate isolation of patients....and monitoring and quarantine of suspected cases.

But it is difficult because early on,the symptoms of the disease sound like malaria fever.
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Missonas(f): 3:10pm On Aug 06, 2014
Reiyvinn:

god, satan, angels, spirits, witches, e.t.c. All these don't exist!!

The invention of satan enabled man escape taking responsibility for the damages he has caused (blame it on the devil)

and the invention of God is divided into two:

i.) to ignore reality and give false sense of security, and,

ii.) to gain advantage over the masses through mind-control, using man's fear of death as a tool.

Don't get why 'your likes' are bent on refuting the believes of others.If your thoughts and ideas are so right save us that believe in God or save yourselves.
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by EbirichBen(m): 3:11pm On Aug 06, 2014
[quote
author=osjoshua]Jonathan good luck is a fool and an incompetent leader,
very slow. why was the liberia-Nigeria border not closed upon hearing
the epidemic out break in Liberia? the same reason bk boys escalated
into what it is today, GEJ why are you slow in everything, including
health related matters? bk menace is a pain in the ass of every
patriotic Nigerian citizen. and here comes another problem capable of
wiping off every living being in Nigeria off the surface of the earth.
Of a truth, when the head is sick the ........ .....[/quote]

Please oh, Does Liberia has any border with Ghana, not to talk of Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by akandi4u(m): 3:13pm On Aug 06, 2014
one by one,dem don dey go!
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by nora544: 3:17pm On Aug 06, 2014
SirShymex:

Thanks. I've got a language translator app on my laptop. I'll check it now.

Also, I just discovered that there are five variants of the virus, and only four of them actually affect humans. And also, it mostly likely started from monkeys or fruit bats - just like HIV.

Hopefully, those in Nigeria will tell us the ebola virus variant in the country...since it seems it's contagious.

I also found this now:

^^^^Evidently, the disease is contagious and they need to start keeping infected people in an isolated place.

Also doctors without border have a good homepage.

Doctors without border work since the beginning of Ebola in Africa and all of the doctors come from europa, and they make it for free.

This two person from America come from a christian organisation for them is more important to spread the gospel and they didnot have the same high quality of information as the doctors without border which get trained to work with ebola, I know this because a very close familymember is at the moment on this special training, that she can move to africa to work for them for 3 weeks, after 3 weeks they have to go back, and new ones will come.

I know this from a friend who is at the moment in Siera Leone from the red cross to teach the people how the have to take death people and what they have to look that no other perwson get it and that they keep also safe. He works before in hatii for the red cross.
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by mrtruth: 3:18pm On Aug 06, 2014
kultimate009: That was the final straw.... Wey my passport I am off to obodo oyinbo....
Abeg....wait for meoooo
Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by zeongeon: 3:18pm On Aug 06, 2014
Reiyvinn: MODIFIED

Look who's talking *witholds laughter*

Human Being is just a classification or name. We belong to the class "ANIMAL."

The word "animal" was derived from the Latin word "animalis" which means "to have breath" or "be a breather."

you pretty much see there isn't any difference expect for class (e.g anthropods, primates, e.t.c)

the only thing possessed by humans that has a higher degree above other animals is the brain. That is why we can to invent gods, satans, angels, e.t.c. Besides the brain, the other animals are far better with other senses.

The only class of Living Thing that differs COMPLETELY from man Is Plant. (non-animal, non-breather).

So go back to school.
I see u took your science and evolution class seriously while in school..its a human being who says he is a scientist that coined the name animal and who says ur an animal and u get to believe him that ur an animal..funny how u believe ur an animal just because a scientist who is limited says so BUT yet fail to believe that the brain/mind ur scientist have was put there by a GOD. Ur science can't explain everything and one thing ur Science has not been able to explain is GOD..I bet u think its d oxygen around u that's keep u alive and typing rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 06, 2014
Missonas:

Don't get why 'your likes' are bent on refuting the believes of others.If your thoughts and ideas are so right save us that believe in God or save yourselves.

SMH, atheism doesn't promise some mumbo-jumbo salvation story. No one is "saved" except from the Law, Crime, Bad Health and Fate.

I am not interested in saving anybody's arse. I just wanna slap some senses into the sucked-dry brains of we Nigerians.

It's not like I hate God or whatever: I can't hate what I believe exists. Imagine me hating Zeus.....

Humans caused all this shït, Humans will either have to fix it or live with it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Baby Falls From Abuja Hospital’s Top Floor, Dies / How Do Females Cope With Male Gynaecologists? / King Charles Coronation: Elizabeth Nneka Anionwu's Role

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.