Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,245 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

Nigerian President Tells Gay Activist At US Dinner ‘take Anti-gay Law To Court’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian President Tells Gay Activist At US Dinner ‘take Anti-gay Law To Court’ (1060 Views)

2 Nigerian Bankers Gatecrash In PMB US Dinner. / Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To Gay Law In USA / Chad President Tells Boko Haram Leader To Surrender Or Face Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian President Tells Gay Activist At US Dinner ‘take Anti-gay Law To Court’ by crosbreaka: 10:27am On Aug 08, 2014
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has told an exiled Nigerian gay activist that he has the right to challenge his homeland’s anti-gay law in court in a confrontation at a $200 a head dinner in Washington DC.

Jonathan was attending a dinner on Wednesday night hosted by the Corporate Council on Africa and the US Chamber of Commerce held during the US-Africa Leaders Summit when he was confronted by gay Nigerian refugee and activist Micheal Ighodaro about his country’s anti-gay laws.

Ighodaro told Buzzfeed that President Jonathan told him, ‘The situation of homosexuals in Nigeria is delicate, but during this week the topic has come up a lot and it is something we will continue to look into, especially the attacks.’

‘If you think the law is unconstitutional you have the right to go to court and fight [to strike] it down.’

President Jonathan seemed to also address the issue during a speech at the dinner where he said, ‘I cannot end my remarks without making reference to two issues that my ambassador here is spending much of his time explaining to you … about the issue of sexuality in the country.

‘Let me reassure you that, well, of course we have challenges. The issue of terror [is] very very negative for us, come to torment so many countries, and … we are receiving our fair share of terror in the local [group] called Boko Haram, that’s recently has been taking some school girls. But we are working very hard to bring it under control, and surely we’ll bring it under control.’

However he did not elaborate how his government would address the ‘challenge’ of sexuality.

Jonathan signed into law in January some of the most draconian laws criminalizing homosexuality on the planet with providing any kind of support or positive depiction of homosexuality made a crime along with entering into a same-sex marriage.

Ighodaro was forced to flee Nigeria in 2012 after a homophobic attack left him with a broken hand and ribs and today he is a fellow at the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission in New York.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian President Tells Gay Activist At US Dinner ‘take Anti-gay Law To Court’ by slimfit1(m): 10:55am On Aug 08, 2014
Good answer

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian President Tells Gay Activist At US Dinner ‘take Anti-gay Law To Court’ by EMANY01(m): 11:23am On Aug 08, 2014
slimfit1: Good answer

The smartest answer one could ever give in any situation or location.I see things that let me know that Goody goody is not the dumb person everyone makes him out to be.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian President Tells Gay Activist At US Dinner ‘take Anti-gay Law To Court’ by slimfit1(m): 11:35am On Aug 08, 2014
EMANY01:

The smartest answer one could ever give in any situation or location.I see things that let me know that Goody goody is not the dumb person everyone makes him out to be.

Just wish he could adopt the same answer all the questions he was asked all the time.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian President Tells Gay Activist At US Dinner ‘take Anti-gay Law To Court’ by JEITO: 11:50am On Aug 08, 2014
Just wondering what Buhari would have answered to that question had he been the president....

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian President Tells Gay Activist At US Dinner ‘take Anti-gay Law To Court’ by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
JEITO: Just wondering what Buhari would have answered to that question had he been the president....

His response will be:
I dey crase? Na hu be ur pada?
May allah funish u for that type of quesion?
Dan iska- shegge.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian President Tells Gay Activist At US Dinner ‘take Anti-gay Law To Court’ by MiguelMi6(m): 12:10pm On Aug 08, 2014
Thank goodness he's not brain dead.One could tell he was pressured into signing it.The Court to would be pressured to strike every anti-homosexuLity laws in Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Adeniran Adebayo(Teacher) Molests 10-year-old Pupil In School Toilet / Nigerian Army Retake Key Northeastern Town / Nigerian Airforce Alpha Jet for fight against BH Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.