Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,881 members, 7,828,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? (1688 Views)

Poll: Would You Support the Death Penalty for Corrupt Officials?

Yes. Definately: 53% (7 votes)
No. Too severe: 38% (5 votes)
Outrageous!: 7% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Umar Yakubu-Barde Recommends Amputation & Hanging For Corrupt Officials / Buhari May Consider Amnesty For Corrupt Politicians – Fayemi / Jonathan Seeks Stiffer Penalties For Corrupt Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by blackspade(m): 7:05pm On Oct 19, 2008
[size=15pt][center]Death penalty for China official[/center][/size]

China has sentenced the former head of the State Food and Drug Administration to death after he was convicted of corruption, state media has reported.

Zheng Xiaoyu was convicted on charges of taking bribes and of dereliction of duty, Xinhua news agency reported.

The sentence is unusually harsh for a senior figure, but Zheng could have his sentence reduced to life on appeal.

The verdict came as the government announced plans for the first ever recall system of unsafe food products.

Beijing has been under pressure to act over increasing concern both at home and abroad about the poor standards of Chinese-produced food and medicines.

Name poisoned

State television showed footage of a grey-haired Zheng - who was expelled from the Communist Party earlier this year - appearing in court in Beijing flanked by police officers.

He had been accused by an official investigation last month of accepting more than 6.5m yuan ($850,000) in bribes to approve hundreds of drugs.

One company, Kongliyuan Group, allegedly paid Zheng bribes in return for approving 277 drugs, mostly antibiotics.

Zheng's former secretary, Cao Wenzhuang, also faced trial, accused of accepting bribes.

Thirty-one other people were also alleged to have been involved in the scandal, including Zheng's wife, Liu Naixue, and his son, Zheng Hairong.

Following Zheng's sacking in 2005, the Chinese government announced a review of about 170,000 medical licences that were awarded during his tenure at the agency.

Dozens of people have died in China because of poor quality or fake drugs.

Last year, a sub-standard antibiotic, Xinfu, which was not properly sterilised, caused the deaths of 11 people.

Thirteen babies died of malnutrition in 2005 after being fed powdered milk that contained no nutritional value.

The Chinese government recently announced an urgent review of industry food standards after public alarm over a recent spate of cases.

US inspectors blamed exported Chinese pet food ingredients, contaminated with melamine, for the deaths of cats and dogs in North America.

And they recently halted shipments of toothpaste from China to investigate reports that they may be contaminated with toxic chemicals.

On Tuesday, as Zheng was sentenced, the government said a new recall process targeting "potentially dangerous and unapproved food products" would be brought in by the end of the year.

"All domestic and foreign food producers and distributors will be obliged to follow the system," Wu Jianping, of the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, was quoted as saying.

BBC News
[list]
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by blackspade(m): 7:09pm On Oct 19, 2008
This type of action would be great for Nigeria, and great for many other Africans nations who have problems with corruption. I'm in full support of this type of action, because with this in place, leaders will fulfill their duties of taking care of the people, instead of themselves and their cronies. undecided
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by blackspade(m): 5:54am On Oct 20, 2008
Well, would you?
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by lammie01: 1:23pm On Oct 20, 2008
I Really think this is the solution to corruption in Nigeria. All the past leaders who have embezzled and stand in the way of progress, development and social justice to our beloved nation should be exterminated to the abyss of extinction.

These bastards have ebezzeled so much and can buy their way through the system due to the abject and impecccable poverty they have forced on the society.

These idiots have started to put their children and wives to continue the monumental looting they are used to.

When we call for a revolution I think it should be a sort of revolution where these people's lives are wasted cos they have wasted millions of lives directly and indirectly. Without these imbeciles leaving the scene there cannot be any meaningful progress to the nation as they are and would constitute a stumbling block and impediment to true development.

The masses needs to rise up to this.  Some people call for a peaceful revolution yes! in an ideal world this would be perfect but in a complicated country like nigeria  this is almost in possible. However i am not calling for a revolution where the masses would suffer again far from this but a revelution where these bastards called past and present leaders would be made to pay for the crimes they have inflicted on our people.

How do we explain a nation where the same old politicians who ruled nigeria since the late sixties are still ruling and like FELA said the same old politician who spoilt Nigeria before. It is just recycling of garbage.

These people have billions and like in every society money talks!! Even in the US you need millions to win election this is one of the honest flaws of democracy.

How do we explain a situation where the people the masses vote for never win an election. If anyone still believes the solution is voting for the right person then the monumental disgrace called election last year is evidence that without these bastards wasting away they would always buy their way into power. They use force via the polic and soldiers so why shouldnt the people use targeted force to let them go enjoy thier loot in their graves!!!
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by Fhemmmy: 1:51pm On Oct 20, 2008
Death penalty? Nope, but they could actually be sentenced to jail, and i mean real kirikiri jailing with no special treatment, but be subjected to hard labour, would love to see them sweeping the street of the state or city where they were once a leader, speed the process of the trial.
But kill them will be useless to the nation.
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by ayomifull(f): 3:37pm On Oct 20, 2008
Fhemmmy:

but they could actually be sentenced to jail, and i mean real kirikiri jailing with no special treatment, but be subjected to hard labour, would love to see them sweeping the street of the state or city where they were once a leader, speed the process of the trial.

I support this and would be too glad to see it happen.
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by cutey01(f): 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2008
I'll never support death penalty, lai lai
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by Fhemmmy: 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2008
Will this ever get to pass in the house and be made into a law in Nigeria? considering the fact that all the politicians are rogues.
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 20, 2008
Nah . . I dont think that would work here in 9ija. The rich and mighty would only use that to eliminate their opponents.

Personally I dont support death sentence for any offence. Death is too easy an escape for some offences sha!!!
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by Fhemmmy: 4:47pm On Oct 20, 2008
Ujujoan:

Nah . . I don't think that would work here in 9ija. The rich and mighty would only use that to eliminate their opponents.

Personally I don't support death sentence for any offence. Death is too easy an escape for some offences sha!!!

I love the way u put it, Death is too easy as escape.
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by bracelet: 4:55pm On Oct 20, 2008
Well death penalty or imprisonment. The EFCC just said governors and the Past President has no case.

Why? no evidence against them.

Case closed!
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by Fhemmmy: 5:27pm On Oct 20, 2008
bracelet:

Well death penalty or imprisonment. The EFCC just said governors and the Past President has no case.

Why? no evidence against them.

Case closed!

ummmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!! Nigeria, i hail thee
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by Ifygurl: 12:34am On Oct 21, 2008
I'll suport it. Hell i'll even bring camera to take pictures. Shit, All corrupt Nigeria and African polictian deserve to die especially Obasanjo that man murdered alo of people.
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by bawomolo(m): 2:08am On Oct 21, 2008
why do you want to wipe off about 70% of nigeria's population

ok on a serious, confiscation of their properties and 10yrs or more jail terms would be more appropriate. let's not act like barbarians.
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by Fhemmmy: 1:16pm On Oct 21, 2008
bawomolo:

why do you want to wipe off about 70% of nigeria's population

ok on a serious, confiscation of their properties and 10yrs or more jail terms would be more appropriate. let's not act like barbarians.

Dont forget to add, jail with hard labour.
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by lucabrasi(m): 1:58pm On Oct 21, 2008
@poster
first im not a fan of the death penalty no matter the ffence,second i believe death penalty for nigerian political office olders who are corrupt will be counter-productive in the end because anyone already sentenced to death will have zero incentive to co-operate with the government in any way shape or form but negotiating with corrupt officials will encourage him/her to at least surrender his loot to escape jail terms and disgrace,
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by OBVIOUS(m): 3:24pm On Oct 21, 2008
If death penalty exisited in Nigeria, Nigerians would abuse this authority. Meaning that all the wrong people would be killed and all the evil/corrupt people would still be alive bribing people all over the place to stay alive.

what happened to the thieveing obasanjo family ? abacha ? babangida ? bode thomas? and all those who the EFCC could not establish a case on.
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by bawomolo(m): 3:28pm On Oct 21, 2008
Fhemmmy:

don't forget to add, jail with hard labour.

he he imagine, james ibori washing toilets, enahoro mopping floors while obasanjo the farmer works in the kitchen grin grin
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by Fhemmmy: 4:24pm On Oct 21, 2008
bawomolo:

he he imagine, james ibori washing toilets, enahoro mopping floors while obasanjo the farmer works in the kitchen grin grin

I will love to see that day, but i would prefer obj and ibb sweeping the oshodi - agege road while bread sellers gives them satchets of pure water to drink grin grin grin
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by mrblack: 4:46pm On Oct 21, 2008
yes please,when is it going to happen pls?
Re: Would You Support the Death Penalty For Corrupt Officials? by blackspade(m): 3:52am On Oct 23, 2008
^ It happened in China.

(1) (Reply)

Abia Poly Students Donate N16.5m Building, Ambulance / Atiku's Speech To Pdp Delegates. / Oh Boy Cpc Don Clear Ne & Nw.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.