Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Robin Williams Is Dead! - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Robin Williams Is Dead! (39677 Views)

Wunmi Obe Attacks Robin Williams’ Widow In Heartless Open Letter / Robin Williams Dead: Beloved Actor Dies In Apparent Suicide / Regina Askia 'Williams' Is 46 Years Old Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robin Williams Is Dead! by shadrach77: 12:03am On Aug 12, 2014
This is very sad! Actor and comedian Robin Williams (Mrs Doubtfire) is dead! He died from an apparent suicide. So sad! sad sad sad sad sad sad

News broke on Aug. 11 that the comedian and actor Robin Williams has died at age 63.

Police in Marin County, Calif. said the beloved star was found dead in a suspected suicide.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/11/showbiz/robin-williams-dead/index.html

[img]http://timedotcom.files./2014/08/174490241.jpg?w=814[/img]

7 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by LMAyedun(m): 6:10am On Aug 12, 2014
5 Facts You Didn't Know About Robin Williams

Robin Williams lived an amazing life before his death at the age of 63. In the beginning of his career, Williams struggled as a street mime in front of New York’s Museum of Modern Art; by the end, he was the type of performer who could lift the spirits of a long-time friend in the hospital to our nation's troops in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait and everyone in between. Moreover, once Williams reached the top, he remembered to look back on where he came from: The actor famously helped Jessica Chastain become the first person in her family to go to college, funding her full-ride scholarship to Juilliard when she was just starting out herself. There's certainly no doubt Williams will be missed by both fans and colleagues. Below are some of the little known moments of Williams' inspiring career.

1. Robin Williams improvised most of Genie for "Aladdin."

Apparently, the Academy Awards rejected the bid for "Aladdin" in the Best Adapted Screenplay category because so much of Williams role ended up being improvised. According to producer and director John Musker, Williams ended up improvising about 70 impressions to be used in the film as well. In a Reddit AMA, Williams explained:

Initially they came in and I was just doing the scripted lines and I asked 'Do you mind if I try something?' and then 18 hours of recording later, they had the genie. I just started playing, and they said "just go with it, go with it, go with it." So I improvised the character. I think that in the end, there were something like 40 different voices that I did for that role.
Williams was known for improvising most of his iconic roles in some way or another.

2. Robin Williams dressed in scrubs and surprised his friend Christopher Reeve in the hospital following his career-ending accident.

Reeve and Williams became good friends when they both attended The Juilliard School together. Williams claimed at the time that Reeve was "literally feeding me because I don't think I literally had money for food or my student loan hadn't come in yet, and he would share his food with me." In his book, "Still Me," Reeve wrote about Williams visiting him in the hospital:

Then, at an especially bleak moment, the door flew open and in hurried a squat fellow with a blue scrub hat and a yellow surgical gown and glasses, speaking in a Russian accent. He announced that he was my proctologist, and that he had to examine me immediately...it was Robin Williams...for the first time since the accident, I laughed. My old friend had helped me know that somehow I was going to be okay.
Williams later surprised Sharon Osbourne in a similar way after she was diagnosed with cancer.

3. During the filming of "Schindler's List," Robin Williams called Steven Spielberg to tell him jokes and lift his spirits.

Spielberg called these "comic care packages over the telephone."

In his Reddit AMA, Williams explained:

I think I only called him once, maybe twice. I called him when I was representing People for the Valdheimers Association. A society devoted to helping raise money to help older Germans who had forgotten everything before 1945. I remember him laughing and going 'thank you.'

4. In high school, Robin Williams was voted by his classmates as the "Least Likely To Succeed."

Williams attended Redwood High School in California where, during his senior year, he was voted both "the funniest and least likely to succeed."

Later in life, Williams would win five Grammys, two Emmys and an Academy Award.

5. Robin Williams favorite childhood book was "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," which he'd read to his kids.

Here is Williams' description of reading his favorite book from childhood to his kids:

Growing up, it was The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - I would read the whole C.S. Lewis series out loud to my kids. I was once reading to Zelda, and she said "don't do any voices. Just read it as yourself." So I did, I just read it straight, and she said 'that's better.'

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5670220?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

10 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Maxie110(m): 6:11am On Aug 12, 2014
RIP sir... was an icon indeed! He will certainly be missed by many, I pray that the good Lord will grant the family the fortitude to bear his demise! !!!

12 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by ramselly(m): 6:11am On Aug 12, 2014
CHAI, R.I.P

3 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by MrRhymes101(m): 6:11am On Aug 12, 2014
Comedians r basically happy people, the police should investigate the "suicide" well. RIP sir

19 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by bunmioguns(m): 6:11am On Aug 12, 2014
cry
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by olatade(m): 6:11am On Aug 12, 2014
RIP
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by eleojo23: 6:11am On Aug 12, 2014
If it was suicide, then his last joke wasn't funny at all. Life is vanity.

18 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Nobody: 6:12am On Aug 12, 2014
Na wetin dey always kill all these Oyinbo stars be that.. Sucide.. sad
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Adenugay(m): 6:12am On Aug 12, 2014
Bimfo: Na wetin dey always kill all these Oyinbo stars be that.. Sucide.. sad
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Nobody: 6:12am On Aug 12, 2014
Suicide! One would have thought he had it all! RIP.

4 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Cashcard1(m): 6:12am On Aug 12, 2014
shadrach77: This is very sad! Actor and comedian Robin Williams (Mrs Doubtfire) is dead! He died from an apparent suicide. So sad! sad sad sad sad sad sad

News broke on Aug. 11 that the comedian and actor Robin Williams has died at age 63.

Police in Marin County, Calif. said the beloved star was found dead in a suspected suicide.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/11/showbiz/robin-williams-dead/index.html

[img]http://timedotcom.files./2014/08/174490241.jpg?w=814[/img]
ehya
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Konnektions146(m): 6:12am On Aug 12, 2014
Oh quite a pity

but wait oo, why be say na only Oyinbo dey commit suicide, upon all our suffer-head, we still dey survive and life dey sweet us.

God, I love being black, I love being African

Though our leaders no dey try shaaa

41 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by ramdris(m): 6:13am On Aug 12, 2014
Damn! And I gbadun this guy o. Why suicide now? Anyway . RIP

1 Like

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Jaideyone(m): 6:13am On Aug 12, 2014
man of the year shocked RIP
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by youngestgrad(m): 6:13am On Aug 12, 2014
clap 4 him ;Dclap 4 him
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by ifemiide: 6:13am On Aug 12, 2014
Apparent suicide At that age ? Oyinbo and their wahala

2 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Richy4(m): 6:13am On Aug 12, 2014
Ch-in-e-k-e !!! I could easily tag him the happiest man alive.
His roles on movie just comes out effortlessly and natural. Na waoo

3 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Afrocatalyst: 6:14am On Aug 12, 2014
I still can't understand why people kill themselves. I dnt get it!

1 Like

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by yungryce: 6:14am On Aug 12, 2014
Death is no repecter of persons
RIP man
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by pontirock(m): 6:15am On Aug 12, 2014
Chai,wat do dis pple gain in committing suicide?
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by NaLaugh: 6:15am On Aug 12, 2014
sad

When this video was made in 88-89, he probably didn't know he'll have to end it all like Boby Mcferrin's alternate character in the music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

2 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by PassingShot(m): 6:15am On Aug 12, 2014
So he was a coward afterall!

PS: Think twice before quoting or condemning my post.

4 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by tuasefemi(m): 6:15am On Aug 12, 2014
Return If Possible (RIP) Man!

1 Like

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Nobody: 6:15am On Aug 12, 2014
pontirock: Chai,wat do dis pple gain in committing suicide?
they die undecided

5 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Isiterere(m): 6:16am On Aug 12, 2014
Suicide at his age ?
What a shame ...

ALL IZZ WELL

1 Like

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Firefire(m): 6:16am On Aug 12, 2014
RIP
Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by lekinz(m): 6:16am On Aug 12, 2014
If I have 25% of his money.....

Suicide will be the last thing on my mind

3 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by korel9: 6:16am On Aug 12, 2014
I will rather kill myself than commit suicide. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Robin Williams Is Dead! by Rilwayne001: 6:16am On Aug 12, 2014
RIP

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bolanle Ninolowo Steps Out In Symbolized Agbada Looking Cute / Richard Mofe-Damijo's Son, Kome To Marry In December / Mide Funmi Martins Looking Like A Queen In New Adorable Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.