Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,896 members, 7,810,443 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? (3742 Views)

So Far, Buhari Looks Like A “Dogo Yaro” - Dr Wumi Akintide (Sahara reporters) / Rich And Handsome! Governor Fayose’s Son Looks Like A Prince In New Photos / So Skinny! See What Obasanjo Looks Like After Being Released From Prison In 1998 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Chubhie: 8:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
byrron:

This is the most painful part.

All those warring tribes that Ghadafi used force to suppress have all resumed hostilities for a piece of libya while the democracy and freedom sellers from abroad plunder their collective commonwealth. America finally got libya on a plater. You just have to give the yanks some credit.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by alotofgrace(m): 8:44pm On Aug 12, 2014
now that was a centrally planned-free economy
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by chidekings(m): 9:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
during the war,i constantly tell my frnds that libya will regret missing gadaffi,during the war i for once love press tv cus then they give u accurate happenings in libya,cus i so much love the government of gadaffi eventhough it has some little flaws,but sadly now we cant rewind time cus libya is 90 percent a failed state
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by nairalife2013(m): 10:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
Why all d worst chaos only in moslem countries? Moslems must reaccess their commitment to themselves and d whole of humanity; strive to aquire more education for d liberation of mind; solidify d essence of unity amongst themselves; learn to tolerate others and imbibe a forgiving heart with d knowledgr that no one religion is particularly perfect but treat fellow humans wid dignity for who they are and not for where they worship- no matter how good a moslem leader may be, d world may not allow him to grow too powerful becos of d fact that they can wake up one day and decide, armed wid THAT jihadist conviction, to bring d world to an UNTIMELY end. It IS ultimately a coded theory. D world has cloned so many fake islamists just to use them to keep d rest busy fighting themselves while d rest of d world have a LITTLE peace. It cost them less to send weapons and humanitarian aid and feed those countries; when people are massacred in d middle east and africa, european and american journalists will surely report or carry placards. But in the dept of their hearts, they say muse " I would hav done d same if I were obama or reagan." From many generations ago, d west hav deviced a way of treating africa an d mideast- it is in their heart and not in their books or in their open conversations- for our lifestyle displayed for ages without remorse or improvment- the west is way back convinced we deserve such treatment. So while we get more careless and unthoughtfull and plunge deeper into canibalism and self destruction, they urge us on wid silent drums and soundless tamborines and work harder speeclessly in perfecting their skills in making us bring our ownselves to our own knees.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by 9jalyte: 11:28pm On Aug 12, 2014
chukxie: America and its allies knew what they were doing when they instigated Libyans against Gaddafi. Unfortunately most Libyans were clueless to the real intentions of America and its co - conspirators of evil. Look at the pitiful state Libya has descended into. Before the capture and subsequent killing of Gaddafi most Libyans never experienced hunger or what it felt like to be without basic amenities. But now hunger, lack, insecurity and insurgency have become commonplace in Libya. Just recently America shut down its Embassy in Libya because the country has gotten too unsafe for even 'mighty' America to allow its citizens to remain in it. The long and expensive CIA covet missions to overthrow Gaddafi and plunge Libya into cataclysmic chaos has been achieved. So, the natural thing to do was to close shop and head home. Libya's fragile security body has been left alone to battle raising insurgency and incessant fighting between different armed militias. I'm sure a lot of Libyans who supported the removal and subsequent killing of Gaddafi are regretting their actions. Libya under Gaddafi was a prosperous, independent and powerful country. Libyans never lacked anything. The government provided everything they wanted. Hundreds of thousands of migrants and expats called Libya home. Today, sadly, the story is different all because of rapaciousness and jealousy by America and its allies. Look around the world and all you see is chaos caused by America. Look at Egypt. Look at Iraq. Look at Afghanistan. Iraq was a prosperous country under Saddam Hussein. His high handedness brought remarkable peace between Sunni and Shia Muslims; Kurds; Christians and other minorities. However, since the overthrowing, incarceration and subsequent hanging of Saddam Hussein Iraq has had little or no peace. The country is now divided along sectarian lines between Sunni and Shia Muslims. Suicide bombings have become ubiquitous. Hardly a day passes by without the news of someone killing innocent Iraqis by blowing himself/herself up. Just recently, the most dreaded terrorist group the world has ever seen [IS] registered its presence by taking control of large swathes of land in Iraq, by killing Christians and beheading anyone whose ideology was different from theirs. All these and more tragedies were caused by the greediness of America and its allies. Egypt is going through a difficult phase in its history and America and its allies are standing by as Egypt plunges into disarray.God will judge all deeds committed by man!
Thank you my brother. Yesterday I was writing about this issues, I am glad people like you can read the hidden statements in the white smiles of the west. It was the same Libyan and Egyptian models of revolution that they experimented on Nigeria with the #bringbackourgirls# movement. Believe me, they were disappointed with the kind of response they got from Nigeria. They used all the tools they have, CNN and co, but I am glad Nigeria is unique in it's own way.
I have always maintained that I am scared of the kind of young people we have, who lack every sense of history, and can not decipher between mocking sympathy and true concern. Many were castigating govt for not allowing the oyibos to come and rescue the girls. The CNN was insulting our most respected soldiers, and govt. Nigerians joined the propagandists to make jokes with efforts of our soldiers and their authorities. Only a foolish child will disown the mother because she has epilepsy. They have adopted the psychological against Nigerians, to weaken every sense of Nigerianess in them, then they will try again, to use Nigerians to destroy Nigeria. but God will not let that happen. I only wish they few Nigerian youths that can reason can continue to counter these moves. I am more concerned about our northern brothers, because honestly, it is in the interest of the tyrannical countries that they remain the way they are. They will be willing tools in their manipulation moves etc. Eg, you can imagine how respected northern governors left Nigeria, west Africa, and Africa, to USA to report the president to their god-father, hoping that what will happen? It was an insult on them not on any other person. I wish they realize what they are sitting on.

4 Likes

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by chukxie(m): 2:01am On Aug 13, 2014
9jalyte:
Thank you my brother. Yesterday I was writing about this issues, I am glad people like you can read the hidden statements in the white smiles of the west. It was the same Libyan and Egyptian models of revolution that they experimented on Nigeria with the #bringbackourgirls# movement. Believe me, they were disappointed with the kind of response they got from Nigeria. They used all the tools they have, CNN and co, but I am glad Nigeria is unique in it's own way.
I have always maintained that I am scared of the kind of young people we have, who lack every sense of history, and can not decipher between mocking sympathy and true concern. Many were castigating govt for not allowing the oyibos to come and rescue the girls. The CNN was insulting our most respected soldiers, and govt. Nigerians joined the propagandists to make jokes with efforts of our soldiers and their authorities. Only a foolish child will disown the mother because she has epilepsy. They have adopted the psychological against Nigerians, to weaken every sense of Nigerianess in them, then they will try again, to use Nigerians to destroy Nigeria. but God will not let that happen. I only wish they few Nigerian youths that can reason can continue to counter these moves. I am more concerned about our northern brothers, because honestly, it is in the interest of the tyrannical countries that they remain the way they are. They will be willing tools in their manipulation moves etc. Eg, you can imagine how respected northern governors left Nigeria, west Africa, and Africa, to USA to report the president to their god-father, hoping that what will happen? It was an insult on them not on any other person. I wish they realize what they are sitting on.

Some people don't have any idea what's really happening because they watch too much CNN, BBC and other western new channels. Their opinions are easily formed by what they watch. They strut around with skewed views of world polity. Africans will continue this way because we don't tell our stories ourselves. We rely on western media to tell our stories for us. When they, western media, tell the world our stories they distort them. They make us look bad while grandiosely praising themselves for feeding the world with misinformation. That's what they did in Libya. Sadly, a lot of people don't don't know this.

2 Likes

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Dibiachukwu: 3:45am On Aug 13, 2014
sova: That was what d western world saw nd dey castigate im....They knew if he had succeeded,africa woulld av rule d world again.
hahahaha grin
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:25am On Aug 13, 2014
Btruth: I think other African leaders should learn from this that no western government is to be trusted in solving their problems. Take for example, the case of the Boko Haram in nigeria, Nigeria government should try all his best in solving this problem without bringing in the international forces to assist them. God will save Africa from the western world. How I pity the Libyans now.

Pity yourself, youre next on the chopping block. Your rampant corruption, general ignorance, tribalism and religious intolerance has made it unavoidably so.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by ISpiksDaTroof: 4:28am On Aug 13, 2014
chidekings: during the war,i constantly tell my frnds that libya will regret missing gadaffi
Just like Nigeria will regret never having made use of Buhari to corral the corrupt amongst your so-called big men because of tribalism and bigotry.

Youre the next Libya, its just a matter of months. 12 of them at the most. Bookmark this post.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by chidekings(m): 5:57am On Aug 13, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: Just like Nigeria will regret never having made use of Buhari to corral the corrupt amongst your so-called big men because of tribalism and bigotry.

Youre the next Libya, its just a matter of months. 12 of them at the most. Bookmark this post.

on which side are u
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by emiye(m): 6:06am On Aug 13, 2014
Lordlexyy: A third world country surely don't appreciate the essence of freedom. What is shelter, cloth, money and other free gifts from gov't when your personal freedom is subjected? What were those free this, free that when Libyans were constantly living in terror? Libyans didn't have a say of their own. Gaddaffis men, sons, relatives and aids were running everything while Libyans were constantly being monitored against making any remark on the head of state. It was hell in Libya. They were practically living in a cage without the right to make contributions or express themselves. Life is not all about houses, cars, free medical or school. Life is about expression and freedom of association. We shouldn't become too conscious of material things against our personal rights and opinions. It's even on record that Ghadafi was a major sponsor of Islamic terrorists. Those were among some of the reasons he was toppled. Like every other sectarian upheaval definitely, his loyalists who were thrusted out would want to farment trouble hence the skirmashes in Libya. Libyans deserve times ten(10) what Ghadafi was offering considering their population and the interest accrue to their oil. For those who don't know, it was in Ghadafis' plan to rule and Islamised Africa funding several terrorist arms. Ghadafi was like an over spoilt child with too much money to throw around without caution. The west saw into his threat and did the needful. Hopefuly, Libyans will bounce back stronger than before from this jihadist.

You have a point, but it will be difficult to convince most Nigerians. Human wants are insatiable, the day human has all the freedom he can get,but lacks basic needs of life, the freedom is absolutely worthless, and when he has abundantly all the basic needs of life, but little or no freedom, Liberty looks like the most expensive thing in the world..

"Give us Liberty or we die" is what Libyans echoed through the revolution.

1 Like

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Nobody: 6:17am On Aug 13, 2014
Chubhie: Libyians wanted to go to the clubs and watch N aked women and drink booze. That is their definition of freedom and now they are gonna enjoy every bit of it. Gadahfi had his short falls but as a Nationalistic leader you can't fault him. If our own govt can only give the masses constant electricity all good and well cos d masses never asked for too much. Libyan freedom and Nigeria freedom which would you wish for?
My friend, I am very liberal when it comes to life. What is the essence of having the whole money and not enjoying the freedom to spend the money as yu wish? Gadaffi can gv the whole oil wealth, provide every security and all to Libyans but once freedom is denied all those becomes worthless. They have no freedom to elect leaders, express opinion and are subjected to the whims and caprices of Ghadaffi and his loyalists. If Ghadaffi really loves his people he should have allowed their freeÐom.. He was neither a junta nor was he ever democratically elected. He came thru junta and left thru uprising...

"He that lives by the sword dies by the sword"
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Nobody: 6:21am On Aug 13, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: Just like Nigeria will regret never having made use of Buhari to corral the corrupt amongst your so-called big men because of tribalism and bigotry.

stfu... Buhari is no God. The same buhari that denied press freedom or the one that used Koboko to flog adults in the name of War Against Indiscipline? Or is it the Buhari that truncated a democracy? Is it the Buhari that said Abacha wasn't corrupt but should be celebrated? Guy I am sympathetic to APC but Buhari is a bad market.

1 Like

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 13, 2014
emiye:

You have a point, but it will be difficult to convince most Nigerians. Human wants are insatiable, the day human has all the freedom he can get,but lacks basic needs of life, the freedom is absolutely worthless, and when he has abundantly all the basic needs of life, but little or no freedom, Liberty looks like the most expensive thing in the world..

"Give us Liberty or we die" is what Libyans echoed through the revolution.
"Crime against freedom is crime against humanity" the libyans were on point. Though a critic, This is one reason I luv the Jonathan Administration- Freedom that it brings.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Nobody: 6:37am On Aug 13, 2014
9jalyte:
Spare us this sermon. Jonathan's Administration has failed in the area of Security. Anyway, I have resolved not to discuss wiith Jonathanian on chibok issue
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by chukxie(m): 6:44am On Aug 13, 2014
Some people here are talking about 'freedom' as though Libyans were shackled during Gaddafi's era.Honestly I don't know what your definition of freedom is. Of what use is 'freedom' when there's no peace in your land?

1 Like

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by akinladejo: 7:29am On Aug 13, 2014
acts about Libya under Muammar
Gaddafi
• There was no electricity bills in Libya;
electricity is free … for all its citizens.

• There was no interest on loans, banks
in Libya are state-owned and loans given
to all its citizens at 0% interest by law.

• If a Libyan is unable to find
employment after graduation, the state
would pay the average salary of the
profession as if he or she is employed
until employment is found.

• Should Libyans want to take up a
farming career, they receive farm land, a
house, equipment, seed and livestock to
kick start their farms –this was all for
free.

• Gaddafi carried out the world’s largest
irrigation project, known as the Great
Man-Made River project, to make water
readily available throughout the desert
country.

• A home was considered a human right
in Libya. (In Qaddafi’s Green Book it
states: “The house is a basic need of both
the individual and the family, therefore
it should not be owned by others.”)

• All newlyweds in Libya would receive
60,000 Dinar (US$ 50,000 ) by the
government to buy their first apartment
so to help start a family.

• A portion of Libyan oil sales is or was
credited directly to the bank accounts of
all Libyan citizens.

• A mother who gives birth to a child
would receive US $5,000.

• When a Libyan buys a car, the
government would subsidizes 50% of
the price.

• The price of petrol in Libya was $0.14
per liter.

• For $ 0.15, a Libyan local could
purchase 40 loaves of bread.

• Education and medical treatments was
all free in Libya. Libya can boast one of
the finest health care systems in the Arab
and African World. All people have
access to doctors, hospitals, clinics and
medicines, completely free of charge.

• If Libyans cannot find the education or
medical facilities they need in Libya, the
government would fund them to go
abroad for it – not only free but they get
US $2,300/month accommodation and car
allowance.

• 25% of Libyans have a university
degree. Before Gaddafi only 25% of
Libyans were literate. Today the figure is
87%.

• Libya had no external debt and its
reserves amount to $150 billion – though
much of this is now frozen globally.

Somebody should pls show our leaders these things!

1 Like

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by ISpiksDaTroof: 8:47am On Aug 13, 2014
chidekings:

on which side are u

On the side of Liberty, Justice and Social equality for all.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by chidekings(m): 9:34am On Aug 13, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:

On the side of Liberty, Justice and Social equality for all.

then u have to know that no state has all this qualities u just mentioned.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by ISpiksDaTroof: 9:58am On Aug 13, 2014
barcanista: stfu... Buhari is no God. The same buhari that denied press freedom or the one that used Koboko to flog adults in the name of War Against Indiscipline? Or is it the Buhari that truncated a democracy? Is it the Buhari that said Abacha wasn't corrupt but should be celebrated? Guy I am sympathetic to APC but Buhari is a bad market.

I dont know what it is with the water they feed you id*iots down there that cant make you argue your points in a logical and concise manner. Instead, most times---like youve done above---you usually come out swinging (like you did with your opening "STFU" salvo), then by the second sentence you expose yourself as a complete mor*on.

1. I never said Buhari was any kind of "God". All I alluded to was that hes the least corrupt of all your politicians and corruption is the number one killer of Nigeria's development.

2. I bet anything that you werent born when Buhari was in power. And even if you were, from what you wrote above, theres no way you couldnt have been more than a baby that didnt know his nuts from his earlobes.

3. Buhari "truncated democracy", how?! Tell me how accepting a offer (one he couldnt refuse) to Head a Govt after mutinous officers had carried out a putsch equates to him truncating democracy? Oh, he shouldve rejected the offer Shagaya, Domkat Bali, Abacha, IBB and co made to him after theyd overthrown the Govt? Yes, refuse to head the new Govt as a "True" soldier then get shot at the stakes because they dont know where his loyalty lies or do the smart thing and enforce his own ideas once Supreme Power lies with him? See how dumb you are? Let me school you a bit about that period:

i. Buhari did not carry out a coup.

ii. Buhari was offered the post of Head of State by the coupists because he was the most Senior Officer.

iii. The coupists "offered" Buhari that post because they did not trust themselves, they were all rank mates (but Buhari's Juniors), and to give it some "legitimacy" and the Public the outlook of a "clean" Govt (unlike the absolutely corrupt one of Shagari which they had just sacked) because of Buhari's perceived incorruptible nature.

iv. All decisions were taken by the Supreme Military Council which Buhari Headed. Buhari, never, and could not make decisions alone.

v. Nigerians were grossly indisciplined (like you all are still to this day--- what with your shi*tting in public and what not) and because of their stubborn nature and hate of change or civility some measure of force (unfortunately) had to be applied to make them toe the line of orderliness.

vi. The freedom of the press was denied, and rightfully so. It was a tense period and the public was on edge, a new Govt was in place, and members of the old corrupt govt had so much cash at hand they couldve mani*pulated the press and fed propaganda to the people, thereby inciting them against their rulers. Today, we see how politicians use monies stolen from Govt Treasury is used to, not only tell lies in the newspapers by buying the press, but also how it is used to pay jobless youths to sit on computers and spread propaganda in favor of the Goodluck Jonathan Govt. As of today, Wednesday, August 13,2014 in Ferguson, MO---in the great United States of America--- one of our most fundamental and sacred rights in the Constitution--- the First Amendment (Freedom of Association, Freedom of Press etc) has been put on hold over riots that have erupted in that area in the last two days. The press has been asked to leave and has been barred from covering the events there, The National Guard has been called in, and the airspace is a 'NO-Fly Zone'. If all that can happen in a society thats 1Billion times more organized than yours, and 1Gazillion times more civilized---OVER RIOTS---imagine what was necessary when dealing with corrupt men that had enough cash to start a war in the country if they got the chance.

vii. Buhari was not liked because he wasnt corrupt and was eventually kicked out of office---in the same bloodless manner like the one that took out his predecessor---by the very people who had earlier put him in charge.

4. Show me empirical, credible, and unequivocal proof (i.e video/voice recording) where Buhari said Abacha was not corrupt or never looted. When positing, please do not refer me to the junk writings and laughable crunk rubbish from the clowns you refer to as journalists in your country.

5. Buhari is "Bad Market"?! Youre a political neophyte. Show me ONE politician, just one, in Nigeria today that can battle GEJ vote for vote with less than 6months to go in the Presidential Elections. Remember, campaigns should be in full frenzy by now. You really think outside of Western Nigeria people know Fashola? Or you think Rochas would get votes outside of his home hamlet? GEJs plans are working well: He has weakened the North by letting the insurgency flourish (to his own detriment now), and hes delaying declaration for a second term so he that can not only gauge who is opponent will be(before putting rigging plans in motion) , but also reduce whoever it is' ability to campaign properly since its so close to the elections. Everyone already knows GEJ as President; he doesnt need to do much campaigning. The other man that doesnt need to do much campaigning either because hes also well known is Buhari; thats the only man GEJ fears. Partner Buhari with a solid V.P running mate and watch GEJ crumble. Pit GEJ against Fashola, Rochas, Oshiomole or Kwankwaso and watch them get routed in the easiest of eases by PDP.

Go learn your country, boy.

p.s: Whyre you telling me youre "sympathetic to APC" like I should care? I do not like any of the Political Parties in Your part of the world, but were I eligible to vote, if APC (being the lesser of the two evils) put Buhari forward as its candidate, I would not hesitate to cast my ballot for him.

2 Likes

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 13, 2014
@ SpiksDaTroof : STFU modafvker I don't argue Nigeria Politics with non-Nigerian. I don't Care where you are from a either...
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by ISpiksDaTroof: 10:12am On Aug 13, 2014
IBB, not Buhari, overthrew Shagari’s govt — Col. Nyiam

AUGUST 25, 2013 BY WAHEED BAKARE AND ALLWELL OKPI

Col. Tony Nyiam

In this interview, Col. Tony Nyiam, who was part of the failed attempt to oust the Gen. Ibrahim Babangida’s military government in 1990, tells WAHEED BAKARE and ALLWELL OKPI, how the Orkar coup originated and its relevance to Nigerian politics

You said what has come to be known as the Orkar coup was not a coup but an action. What is the difference between the two?

I said it was a pro-democracy action to stop a situation where there would have been perpetual diarchy in Nigeria, where politicians in uniform would have put a system in place for them to rule forever. I’m talking about a system similar to what the Arab uprising dismantled in Egypt.

But a more senior military officer, Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, referred to it as a coup.

It is because in our setting we misuse words. And because we are used to misusing words, we believe even words that are not really the truth. A military coup would be a coup against an elected government. Our action was not against an elected government. In fact, it’s the responsibility of a military officer to rise up against anybody who takes over power from an elected government, which the government we took action against did. The government we took action against, which was part of the Muhammadu Buhari to Ibrahim Babangida regime, had usurped power from the elected government of Shehu Shagari. If there is a coup that overthrows an elected government, it is the duty of a military officer to do a counter-coup to restore democracy.

Would you have done the same thing if Buhari had remained in power to that time?

If we had seen the same indications during Buhari’s time, the plan by the military to perpetuate itself, we would have done that. But Buhari wasn’t of that kind of mould.

Are you saying your stay in power would have been brief, only long enough to prepare for elections?

Yes. We would have stayed just 18 months to do basically three things, which Nigeria still needs to do. They are: a national census, a proper headcount. I’m happy that as I’ve been saying for years, Festus Odimegwu, the new chairman of the National Population Commission, clearly said there has been no credible census in Nigeria since 1816. The fact is that Nigerians have been so ignorant and have refused to deal with the crucial matter. The census, right from the British time, has always been used to perpetuate the internal colonisers over the rest of Nigeria. The three things we would have done; first a proper national census, so we can know how many we are and how we are spread. If we truly know what the Nigerian population is, over 40 per cent of the constituencies in the North-West and North-East, would not exist. We can only know that if we do a proper census and that is why today, Festus Odimegwu’s life is being threatened because he wants to give us a true count for the first time.

The second thing would have been a conference, which would allow Nigerians to negotiate how they want to coexist. Today, we have a situation where there are abuses of the federal character system. For example, a candidate from say Delta State has to score 170 to pass, while another from another part of the country is required to score eight. Such abuses cannot really be acceptable by a people who have a nation. We are yet to have a nation. The imperative of a conference cannot be ruled out; people need to negotiate. The third thing was to conduct a free and fair election, which has eluded Nigeria for long. In all the regimes, a semblance of free and fair election we see only in a few states in Nigeria basically Lagos and the other states in the South-West. I’m not saying they have achieved it, but we see relatively free and fair elections in these regions. It is not surprising why these regions are the most developing, South-West is the most peaceful, relatively compared to other regions and of course it is the region, where there is relative collective governance of the people. I must give credit to this government, led by President Goodluck Jonathan. The Ondo and Edo states governorship elections, which were relatively free and fair, are credit to Jonathan’s government. These are the things we would have done in those 18 months and those three things whether we like it or not, have to be done. First, we must have a proper census and that is why all Nigerians must support Festus Odimegwu to give us a proper census. Two, we must sit down and negotiate our corporate existence. We must stop deceiving ourselves with these fraudulent elections we’ve been having.

There is the argument that we don’t need to have another conference since we have representatives at the National Assembly.

It is the most ignorant assumption. Why do I say it is ignorant? With all the political scientists we have in our midst, people forget that what we are practising is what we call indirect democracy. What do I mean? The proprietary right over people’s sovereignty is delegated to people we elect to make laws for us. When it comes to making constitutional reforms or constitution making, you go to what is called direct democracy. Direct democracy means direct voting by the people in the form of a referendum and that is why the universal practice is that a constitution making process that does not go through a constituent assembly, whose decisions are approved by a referendum, is null and void. We see the examples. Look at South Sudan; it’s creation resulted from a referendum. How is it that Nigerians do not understand that for a constitution to be legitimate, it has to be driven by the people, and the people are usually represented by a constituent assembly? And this constituent assembly is usually made up of non-partisan politicians, because partisan politicians are only concerned with the next election. They are not concerned about posterity or long-term issues in the country. So, constitution which outlives people and a generation should be driven by civil society, collection of every nationality in the country and clerics. I would cite an example. My second home is in Scotland and in Scotland those who drove for the national conference were the clerics of the Church of Scotland, they were at the forefront. We also saw it in Ireland. Britain has the oldest parliament in the world, why are they allowing a constituent assembly to go ahead, while there are parliaments? It is only in Nigeria that such argument is raised because of the ignorance of the difference between direct and indirect democracy. That’s why I have tried to do an aide-memoir to aid constitution- making. There are certain basic principles of constitution-making, which if we do not follow, would be like building a house on quicksand.

Do you think we would have been able to tackle these problems if the June 12 election had not been annulled by Babangida?

The thing is, Chief MKO Abiola, who I had the opportunity to work with when he escaped from Nigeria to UK, was a man that we lost because his plan was to correct the national issues and start democracy in Nigeria. But because some western interests in Nigeria did not want this, they colluded to do away with him.

You once said soldiers could be recruited for a coup without their knowledge. How is that possible?

Yes, there are many instances. You might want to verify this from Gen. Buhari, he was not the initiator of that coup that brought him in as Head of State, it was Gen. Ibrahim Bako and Babangida that initiated it. But because they wanted a credible figure as a face, he was brought in. He did not know the genesis of that coup. He was not quite aware of the original idea behind the coup and that was why when he decided to make a change, he was forced to step aside. So, if this could happen to a whole Gen. Buhari, who was supposedly the leader of a coup, it shows how many soldiers can be brought in that way.

Does that mean overthrowing Shagari’s government was IBB’s idea?

It was the idea of late Gen. Bako and IBB. Buhari was only brought in because they needed a face with integrity.

Can you give other instances?

Gen. Yakubu Gowon was not part of the coup that brought him in. He was a decent man. Nigerians like to play what the Yoruba people call bojuboju; they bring a figure with integrity to cover up their real intention; the real intention of politicians in uniform who have found cheap party. Many elements of them are in our partisan politics today.

That means such heads of states were under the control of the coup plotters that installed them.

Obviously. And these people are still the reason why we are not allowed to have a proper census, they are still the ones ensuring that we don’t have a conference as well as a free and fair election because if you give the people their rights to choose who to governs them, you have freed them and these oligarchs don’t want that.

Could it be a defence in the military to say I wasn’t part of a coup, I was just brought in?

It couldn’t be a defence because at the point you know that it is a coup, you should do everything possible to resist it.

Even at the risk of taking your life?

That was what we did. At the point when we realised that they were going to perpetuate the military government in Nigeria, we took the risk.

Can we say this plan was an Hausa-Fulani agenda, since most of these military leaders are northerners?

We cannot reduce this thing to an issue of a peaceful Hausa-Fulani man or a peaceful Yoruba man or a peaceful Igbo man. I think we are above that. What we see is an interest of oligarchs, who think power and money controls and there are all sorts of people in that fold. For a long time, you may say one ethnic group has a preponderant membership of that group.

It was reported that the late Gideon Orkar wanted to excise northern Nigeria from the country. Was it part of the agenda?

The unsung hero, Gideon Orkar, was far from anybody who wanted to divide the country. He was calling all regions of the country to some conditionality that they have to meet, if they want us to coexist. It was because that was an era when certain people were saying that they were superior, and that power was their prerogative and that they had the monopoly of power.

Would that have been due to the ethnic coloration of previous coups?

Sure. It is sad that democrats are missing the issue that we were fighting against, which we still need to fight against. It is a situation where they take over power and give advantage to their people to the extent that today if we count the local governments we have in Kano and Jigawa which are states not up to Lagos in population, the local governments are up to three to five times the number of local government areas in Lagos. Lagos is a place, apart from the Niger Delta which gives us foreign exchange earner. Lagos contributes over 70 per cent of our non-oil revenue generation and the same Lagos gets less than what Kano, which produces less than two per cent, gets. This is why I must say Lagos State made a mistake, instead of relocating the problem where it lies; it is not about deporting Igbo beggars to Onitsha end of the Niger Bridge. Lagos should take the right steps legally or otherwise to assert the rights of the state which is being the owner of the Value Added Tax and the sales tax generated in Lagos. The things we fought against are still structurally within our polity. Today, you cannot pass a bill at the National Assembly, if two zones — North-East and North-West — do not agree. So, two zones can stop four zones — South-East, South-West, South-South and North-Central — from moving forward. The irony of this is that these zones are in the semi-desert areas that are usually less populated going by all empirical evidence. We have problems with our census figure; that is why they have all those constituencies and that is why they planned coups to perpetuate that.

Do you think the action failed because the northerners were not involved and because of the conditions given to them to be part of Nigeria

First of all, our action and Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu’s action were the only actions that were not palace coup. The likes of Bako and IBB’s coup which brought in Buhari were. The fact is that the government of Shagari was a government that the military was highly involved in because of the ethnic kinsmanship. There was a fight over contracts that broke the coup. It was an in-house thing. So, the coup was driven by people’s selfish interests and that is why I don’t call it a military coup, I call it a politicians-in-uniform coup. Nzeogwu’s action and our action were done by outsiders, who felt this cash-and-carry ruling and stealing would not be allowed to continue.

If the action had been successful, who would have been the head of state?

It would have been Maj. Saliba Mukoro. He was the initiator. They heard about me and they wanted some senior people to be part of the action. When they approached me, I didn’t accept immediately because I wasn’t the type that will go for a coup or any action. But when I heard the strength of the argument, and in line with my insight as to what was happening in government because I was a close aide to Babangida and Sani Abacha. It would have been immoral of me to report the young officers. I was torn in-between reporting these young, overzealous and selfless boys, who wanted certain issues solved and maitaining loyalty to the military government. People forget that it was because of the action that Delta State was created. And the system in Delta State today has fraudulently prevented one of the people who initiated it, Great Ogboru, to govern. People forget that Bayelsa State was created because of the action. And that’s why I still find it sad that till today, even with the President coming from Bayelsa, no Bayelsan government has honoured those boys who sacrificed their lives for the Niger Delta. I have said it over and over that these chaps deserve to be honoured. I think the Niger Deltans, President Jonathan and the Ijaw should take cue from the Yoruba and honour those boys. The majority of the boys in our action were Niger Deltans for obvious reasons.

Were you the only colonel in the action?

We were two lieutenant colonels. I was brought in by another lieutenant colonel. But that lieutenant colonel sold out and that was why there was a leakage and we had to rush. The person who recruited me had sold out.

Is he a Niger Deltan?

Yes. His name was Lt. Col. Patrick Oketa.

When you were pardoned, what was your feeling?

First of all, we were grateful to Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar and Admiral Mike Akhigbe, who were the initiators of the pardon. These were two gentlemen who were never part of any coup. Power was just dumped on Abdulsalami and true to his character; he wasted no time in returning power to civillians. The system of returning power to civilians should have been better but because he didn’t want to stay a day longer, he left and this is a reflection of his character.

Do you still relate with your colleagues?

Sure, what we didn’t realise is that most of our colleagues who were travelling were very helpful to us, because they knew what we fought for. If our actions were not taken, you would never have had the chance of having an Igbo man as Chief of Army Staff. No Yoruba man would have had that chance either. Why do I say so? Some of us had insight as to a succession plan in the army for the next 50 years. You would never have had the likes of Gen. Martin Agwai being the Chief of Army Staff and Defence Staff, because he belongs to the northern Christian minority. The army, after General T.Y. Danjuma’s time became an army that was to be led by only an ethnic group. People forget that there is a linkage between our action and the chance that MKO Abiola was given for the election.

Now that we have Delta and Bayelsa states and we have the Ministry of Niger Delta and an Ijaw man is the head. Do you think these are enough to right the wrongs of the past?

Those issues are again the usual Nigerian way of dealing with things; rather than go for a holistic tactic. A fundamental thing essentially is to restore power. Once power is restored to the people it is left to them. All these things are just temporal measures. The fundamental issue is to return Nigeria to true federalism. This talk of diversifying our economy cannot happen if we do not have fiscal federalism. People forget that when we had proper federalism, the main foreign exchange for Nigeria was agriculture. So, we have to go back to that.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/interview/ibb-not-buhari-overthrew-shagaris-govt-col-nyiam/
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Btruth: 10:18am On Aug 13, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:

Pity yourself, youre next on the chopping block. Your rampant corruption, general ignorance, tribalism and religious intolerance has made it unavoidably so.
Well, in that case, may I remind you that there are some battles that the rulers of this world cannot win. Though, in respect of the challenges and tribulations, but with God's wisdom we are sure to be settle with peace.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by ISpiksDaTroof: 10:22am On Aug 13, 2014
Btruth: Well, in that case, may I remind you that there are some battles that the rulers of this world cannot win. Though, in respect of the challenges and tribulations, but with God's wisdom we are sure to be settle with peace.

God has already given you a brain so you can use your own wisdom. Stop thinking you can tap into God's brain. Use yours.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:22am On Aug 13, 2014
Lordlexyy: A third world country surely don't appreciate the essence of freedom. What is shelter, cloth, money and other free gifts from gov't when your personal freedom is subjected? What were those free this, free that when Libyans were constantly living in terror? Libyans didn't have a say of their own. Gaddaffis men, sons, relatives and aids were running everything while Libyans were constantly being monitored against making any remark on the head of state. It was hell in Libya. They were practically living in a cage without the right to make contributions or express themselves. Life is not all about houses, cars, free medical or school. Life is about expression and freedom of association. We shouldn't become too conscious of material things against our personal rights and opinions. It's even on record that Ghadafi was a major sponsor of Islamic terrorists. Those were among some of the reasons he was toppled. Like every other sectarian upheaval definitely, his loyalists who were thrusted out would want to farment trouble hence the skirmashes in Libya. Libyans deserve times ten(10) what Ghadafi was offering considering their population and the interest accrue to their oil. For those who don't know, it was in Ghadafis' plan to rule and Islamised Africa funding several terrorist arms. Ghadafi was like an over spoilt child with too much money to throw around without caution. The west saw into his threat and did the needful. Hopefuly, Libyans will bounce back stronger than before from this jihadist.

My Brother.. Wisdom such as yours is not a special power, its called Basic Common Sense which is really scarce.

Na poverty dey bring about all these comments. If you want to trap a Nigga, just write 'free' in front of it without the 'dom' and they will sell their soul into slavery willingly.

Ghadaffi was a tyrant. #Period.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by NgeneUkwenu(f): 10:52am On Aug 13, 2014
barcanista: @ SpiksDaTroof : STFU modafvker I don't argue Nigeria Politics with non-Nigerian. I don't Care where you are from a either...

Man calm down! The guy floored you big time with a more logical argument! The biggest problem with Nigeria today is corruption *fact*! With corruption gone, every other thing would fall in place! Argue like a learned person as you used to and stop infecting yourself with PDP reasoning mentality! If you don't know, Buhari Remains the Face Of The Opposition.

3 Likes

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 13, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

Man calm down! The guy floored you big time with a more logical argument! The biggest problem with Nigeria today is corruption *fact*! With corruption gone, every other thing would fall in place! Argue like a learned person as you used to and stop infecting yourself with PDP reasoning mentality! If you don't know, Buhari Remains the Face Of The Opposition.
No way, I deliberately discontinued with him when he said he isn't a Nigerian. I will Open a Thread on Why Buhari's Candidacy should be questioned by APC. I don't argue Nigerian Politics with some freaks that has nothing at stake. That's me
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Isiterere(m): 10:56am On Aug 13, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:

I dont know what it is with the water they feed you id*iots down there that cant make you argue your points in a logical and concise manner. Instead, most times---like youve done above---you usually come out swinging (like you did with your opening "STFU" salvo), then by the second sentence you expose yourself as a complete mor*on.

1. I never said Buhari was any kind of "God". All I alluded to was that hes the least corrupt of all your politicians and corruption is the number one killer of Nigeria's development.

2. I bet anything that you werent born when Buhari was in power. And even if you were, from what you wrote above, theres no way you couldnt have been more than a baby that didnt know his nuts from his earlobes.

3. Buhari "truncated democracy", how?! Tell me how accepting a offer (one he couldnt refuse) to Head a Govt after mutinous officers had carried out a putsch equates to him truncating democracy? Oh, he shouldve rejected the offer Shagaya, Domkat Bali, Abacha, IBB and co made to him after theyd overthrown the Govt? Yes, refuse to head the new Govt as a "True" soldier then get shot at the stakes because they dont know where his loyalty lies or do the smart thing and enforce his own ideas once Supreme Power lies with him? See how dumb you are? Let me school you a bit about that period:

i. Buhari did not carry out a coup.

ii. Buhari was offered the post of Head of State by the coupists because he was the most Senior Officer.

iii. The coupists "offered" Buhari that post because they did not trust themselves, they were all rank mates (but Buhari's Juniors), and to give it some "legitimacy" and the Public the outlook of a "clean" Govt (unlike the absolutely corrupt one of Shagari which they had just sacked) because of Buhari's perceived incorruptible nature.

iv. All decisions were taken by the Supreme Military Council which Buhari Headed. Buhari, never, and could not make decisions alone.

v. Nigerians were grossly indisciplined (like you all are still to this day--- what with your shi*tting in public and what not) and because of their stubborn nature and hate of change or civility some measure of force (unfortunately) had to be applied to make them toe the line of orderliness.

vi. The freedom of the press was denied, and rightfully so. It was a tense period and the public was on edge, a new Govt was in place, and members of the old corrupt govt had so much cash at hand they couldve mani*pulated the press and fed propaganda to the people, thereby inciting them against their rulers. Today, we see how politicians use monies stolen from Govt Treasury is used to, not only tell lies in the newspapers by buying the press, but also how it is used to pay jobless youths to sit on computers and spread propaganda in favor of the Goodluck Jonathan Govt. As of today, Wednesday, August 13,2014 in Ferguson, MO---in the great United States of America--- one of our most fundamental and sacred rights in the Constitution--- the First Amendment (Freedom of Association, Freedom of Press etc) has been put on hold over riots that have erupted in that area in the last two days. The press has been asked to leave and has been barred from covering the events there, The National Guard has been called in, and the airspace is a 'NO-Fly Zone'. If all that can happen in a society thats 1Billion times more organized than yours, and 1Gazillion times more civilized---OVER RIOTS---imagine what was necessary when dealing with corrupt men that had enough cash to start a war in the country if they got the chance.

vii. Buhari was not liked because he wasnt corrupt and was eventually kicked out of office---in the same bloodless manner like the one that took out his predecessor---by the very people who had earlier put him in charge.

4. Show me empirical, credible, and unequivocal proof (i.e video/voice recording) where Buhari said Abacha was not corrupt or never looted. When positing, please do not refer me to the junk writings and laughable crunk rubbish from the clowns you refer to as journalists in your country.

5. Buhari is "Bad Market"?! Youre a political neophyte. Show me ONE politician, just one, in Nigeria today that can battle GEJ vote for vote with less than 6months to go in the Presidential Elections. Remember, campaigns should be in full frenzy by now. You really think outside of Western Nigeria people know Fashola? Or you think Rochas would get votes outside of his home hamlet? GEJs plans are working well: He has weakened the North by letting the insurgency flourish (to his own detriment now), and hes delaying declaration for a second term so he that can not only gauge who is opponent will be(before putting rigging plans in motion) , but also reduce whoever it is' ability to campaign properly since its so close to the elections. Everyone already knows GEJ as President; he doesnt need to do much campaigning. The other man that doesnt need to do much campaigning either because hes also well known is Buhari; thats the only man GEJ fears. Partner Buhari with a solid V.P running mate and watch GEJ crumble. Pit GEJ against Fashola, Rochas, Oshiomole or Kwankwaso and watch them get routed in the easiest of eases by PDP.

Go learn your country, boy.

p.s: Whyre you telling me youre "sympathetic to APC" like I should care? I do not like any of the Political Parties in Your part of the world, but were I eligible to vote, if APC (being the lesser of the two evils) put Buhari forward as its candidate, I would not hesitate to cast my ballot for him.
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:08am On Aug 13, 2014
barcanista: No way, I deliberately discontinued with him when he said he isn't a Nigerian. I will Open a Thread on Why Buhari's Candidacy should be questioned by APC. I don't argue Nigerian Politics with some freaks that has nothing at stake. That's me

The guy has a dual citizenship! And everything he puts down never betrayed his deep understanding of the political issues back home! Stop opening divisive threads to castigate Buhari! APC is trying to be pragmatic, hence the seeming decision to present a winnable combo-the incorruptible. Buhari and a Governor. You should have asked yourself, why do PDP online agents spend hours daily to malign Buhari Name? Why do jonathan so Afraid of Buhari? Why do the international community more comfortable with a Buhari's candidacy? Why do PDP online hired agents always advise you to present Fashola or Kwankwaso? Do you think they Love APC more than APC? Think brother think!!!

1 Like

Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 13, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

The guy has a dual citizenship! And everything he puts down never betrayed his deep understanding of the political issues back home! Stop opening divisive threads to castigate Buhari! APC is trying to be pragmatic, hence the seeming decision to present a winnable combo-the incorruptible. Buhari and a Governor. You should have asked yourself, why do PDP online agents spend hours daily to malign Buhari Name? Why do jonathan so Afraid of Buhari? Why do the international community more comfortable with a Buhari's candidacy? Why do PDP online hired agents always advise you to present Fashola or Kwankwaso? Do you think they Love APC more than APC? Think brother think!!!
We don't just need Change in faces but change in Policies. It is not about kicking Jonathan out but Kicking him and installing a better Govt. I have my reservations for Buhari's candidacy. In fact I have opened a thread to that effect. Maybe you should attack the points. Pls I hold my independent view. I am very liberal in approach. Thank you
Re: Could This Be What The Former Libya Really Looks Like? by Btruth: 12:22am On Aug 14, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:

God has already given you a brain so you can use your own wisdom. Stop thinking you can tap into God's brain. Use yours.

Meaning?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Linda Ikeji may end up in jail / I Can't Worship PMB, Hatred And Insult By Kasu Lecturer-Dr. John Danfulani. / Blood Flows In Delta Communities, As Conflict Intensifies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 173
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.