Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,274 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field (21060 Views)

Samuel Okwaraji - An Unsung Hero / Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Iceking1(m): 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
Abuniga: Bros ur nt suppose to be a human being i guess it was a mistake mumu boy

see ur sheet mouth all d pple wey boko haram dey kill nko, wot of ebola, with ur face wey b like wetin thunder strike
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 12, 2014
A new duplex 4 sale @ old GRA Enugu. Has 6 bedrooms all in suite, 4 upstairs and 2 downstairs with big parlour,compound and C of O, #80 million asking. Want to lease or buy landed properties in Enugu? Looking 4 accomodation in Enugu? Cotact Mbaeze unique services on 08030888125, 07030529590,08089725197,or mbaezeo@gmail.com for genuine services.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Okijajuju1(m): 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
ineco: today make 25 years nw that Samuel okwaraji dead on national stadium surulere, may He soul rest in perfect peace. and his mother snd family were complaining that nothing was done in return of their son.well thsts Nigerian 4u. may He soul rest in perfect peace amen.

Shey because ehn die for field, ehn don turn Hero.. grin

All the Soldiers wey Boko Haram don kill for inside Borno and Sambisa nko?! She them sef no be hero?! grin

I think we need to revisit our dictionaries to find out what a Hero truly is.

R.I.P Samuel Opkaraji.. It was an honour to have had you in our National Team.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by ijbeauty(f): 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
Rest in peace sir.......

Even though I never sabi sometin wen u die, I still heard of you n we sang d song that was composed wit ur name.
Keep resting sir
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Adenugay(m): 3:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
Same Okwaraji

I Don’t Have A University Degree – Actor Ramsey Noah Speaks >>> http://www..com/dont-university-degree-actor-ramsey-noah-speaks/
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by LyfeJennings(m): 3:23pm On Aug 12, 2014
hazyfm:

[size=28pt]MUMU[/size]

Ur father is a MUMU
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by SHOLATEMI: 3:26pm On Aug 12, 2014
Oh Okwaraji! Oh Okwaraji!! Iwo nikan lowo baba,iwo nikan lowo Mama tan ba gba Bolu lorun ko ge won lege ara #gen Kollignton Ayinla# RIP

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by solash: 3:36pm On Aug 12, 2014
Rest on Sam Okwaraji.
You live forever in our hearts.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by henxrist(m): 3:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
otijah: anam echeta sam okwaraji onye naijiria nwuru onwu ike, kpa kpa kpa, kpa goali oo goalkeeper efelie elu tie akwaoche.Onye akwaoche.......... grin grin we will keep missing u
mehn u dey game. I lyk dat
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by egopersonified(f): 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2014
I'm going home, i'm going home
I'm going home to watch the match
Btw Nigeria and Morocco
Emeka Madi to ----
---
---
Okwaraji shooting the ball inside the net.

Abeg who fit help me with this song?
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by M4gunners: 3:55pm On Aug 12, 2014
RIP Sam you died serving this Nation.We will keep remembering you.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Youngzedd(m): 3:59pm On Aug 12, 2014
RIP Sam.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
undecidedPls how do i get the video of INDIA scoring NIGERIA 99-1 ??
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by ugoezeik(m): 4:06pm On Aug 12, 2014
Miscellaneous: Am I the first to comment?

Subscribe to the blog in my signature to read why students failed this year's waec
wen Where u released from yabaleft

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by ugoezeik(m): 4:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
yuzjet: In case U don't know much about our unsung hero, dis is for u;

Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji (19 May 1964 – 12 August 1989) was a professional footballer who played internationally for Nigeria. He was also a qualified lawyer who had a masters in international law from the University of Rome. He collapsed and died of congestive heart failure in the 77th minute of a World Cup qualification match against Angola at the Lagos National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State on 12 August 1989.

Career
Okwaraji had a career in Europe which included playing for NK Dinamo Zagreb, VfB Stuttgart and SSV Ulm 1846 while finishing his education in law. In his short stay with Dinamo Zagreb, Samuel scored 3 goals in a friendly game vs NK Budućnost Hodošan. The game was played on 30 April 1986, and Dinamo Zagreb won 12-0.

Samuel's only official game for Dinamo in the Yugoslav First League was as a substitute on 18 May 1986 against FK Priština. The game was played at Maksimir stadium in Zagreb, the 29th round of 1985/86 season. Dinamo Zagreb won 4:3.

International career
He made the Green Eagles squad in 1988 and at that year's African Nations Cup he scored one of the fastest goals in the history of the championship against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon. He played along until the final match, where the Eagles lost to their perennial rivals Cameroon by a lone goal. Last game and death Okwaraji collapsed ten minutes from the end of a World Cup Qualifier against Angola in Lagos and died from congestive heart failure. An autopsy showed that the 25-year-old had an enlarged heart and high blood pressure.

"May the Almighty God reward him in heaven. Cos, it's known dat Nigeria government wasn't able to do anything for his family after his demise up till date."

REST IN PEACE SAM.....
na ppl lik u we need on dis Nairaland i swear, see as u analysed it, no b some useless ones wey go dey ask weda him death fit cure ebola and boko haram. Tanx bro

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by ugoezeik(m): 4:17pm On Aug 12, 2014
Abuniga: How e take affect me where dey go service by november batch c
i swear, boko haram go capture u for dat service wey u wan go mumu
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by soulglo: 4:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
Wow. It's been 25 years. I remember that match. May his soul continue to rest in peace

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by haibe(m): 4:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
Can someone slap the poster in the thread below? ? Is that how he died

https://www.nairaland.com/1294333/samuel-okwaraji-things-never-knew
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by chrisxxx(m): 4:41pm On Aug 12, 2014
Abuniga: How e take affect me where dey go service by november batch c
IT MAY BE ONE OF UR APTITUDE TEST QUESTIONS ONE DAY.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by hazyfm: 5:01pm On Aug 12, 2014
LyfeJennings:

My late father was a MUMU

Really??

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by englishmart(m): 5:30pm On Aug 12, 2014
moscobabs: na hin score the only goal agaist India when india beat us 99 - 1 that year,may his soul rest in peace grin grin grin grin

na so my papa tell me
LOL! Your papa don lie to you o.
cheesygrin

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Isiterere(m): 5:40pm On Aug 12, 2014
Miscellaneous: Am I the first to comment?

Subscribe to the blog in my signature to read why students failed this year's waec

try and extend the invitation to the op, and don't forget to provide solution as well

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Sacramento4real(m): 5:52pm On Aug 12, 2014
Is he a musician?
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by dabossman(m): 5:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
I remember that day just like it was yesterday. I watched the game with my dad on NTA and remember Siasia with his hands on his head as he signaled the medical team. Later in the night it was reported that Sam had died. A dark day in the history of Nigerian football.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by dabossman(m): 6:14pm On Aug 12, 2014
Leetunechi: Mek we come begin dey cry now or wetin ?

Abi na hin remembrance wan stop ebola undecided

And we wonder why our present crop of footballers play more for money than national pride. It is because of people like this fellow here. Need I ask what you are doing to stop ebola? Any ground breaking research?

Ah, yes you are just sitting scared at home wrapped from head to toe in polythene.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by timilynx(m): 6:16pm On Aug 12, 2014
RIP SAMUEL
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by shocks(m): 7:08pm On Aug 12, 2014
egopersonified: I'm going home, i'm going home
I'm going home to watch the match
Btw Nigeria and Morocco
Emeka Madi to ----
---
---
Okwaraji shooting the ball inside the net.

Abeg who fit help me with this song?

Wow! So someone else remembers the song! I too was about to ask for help with the lyrics
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by hensben(m): 7:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
otijah: anam echeta sam okwaraji onye naijiria nwuru onwu ike, kpa kpa kpa, kpa goali oo goalkeeper efelie elu tie akwaoche.Onye akwaoche.......... grin grin we will keep missing u
the language u dey speak be like incatation wey dem dey speak for carnibal land, especially of dem wan feed on human flesh.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Bertbert: 7:15pm On Aug 12, 2014
moscobabs: na hin score the only goal agaist India when india beat us 99 - 1 that year,may his soul rest in peace grin grin grin grin

na so my papa tell me
. That your papa no dey watch ball for television....na for grammer fone
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by millionaireman: 7:30pm On Aug 12, 2014
May Sam Okwaraji's soul rest in peace.

A standard sports stadium was built and named Sam Okwaraji Stadium in Orlu, his home town - the second most populated city in Imo state. see

http://vastsportsfacilities.com/olu_township/olu_township.html

The stadium was commissioned by OBJ in May 2007. It hosted international soccer competitions.

But barely four months after the present governor of Imo state, Rochas Okorocha came to office, he set up a kangaroo committee to inquire how the stadium was built. After the inquiry, the stadium was partially demolished; and today the stadium lay in ruins as shown below - no replacement.

A good rest wish for late Sam Okwaraji by Nigerians is to have Gov. Okorocha restore the Sam Okwaraji stadium the condition he met it in 2011 - since he has not been able to build a new one.

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by zurine(f): 7:50pm On Aug 12, 2014
hmm
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by nonjebose(m): 7:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
onatisi: I will never forget that match, and the goal stephen keshi scored with that header. Sam was all over the field ,just as if he knew that would be his last match .we needed to win and we won that game but we lost a rare real gem , we lost sam to the cold hands of death .
He was the man of the match playing like Pirlo in the centre of the field

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wenger Blocks Summer Move For Henry Onyekuru / Ahmed Musa Donates ₦100 Million To 5,000 Widows, Others In Plateau / NFF Considers Appointing Eguavoen Permanent Super Eagles Coach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.