Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field (21086 Views)

Samuel Okwaraji - An Unsung Hero / Samuel Okwaraji Died 24 Years Ago / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by nonjebose(m): 8:09pm On Aug 12, 2014
onatisi: probably uu never saw him play , or never knew about his devotion and humility and how he was always around even when maltreated by the then nfa . Those that witnessed his playing days will never forget him .
Those are kids on nairaland,obviously. He was one the best midfielders after Muda Lawal. Skillful, hardworking and full of vision. I compare him with Pirlo. It was said that Nigeria would have qualified if he played in Younde in our last match
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
hensben: the language u dey speak be like incatation wey dem dey speak for carnibal land, especially of dem wan feed on human flesh.

Are you jealous of the language? If you are ask him to teach you.
The song goes like this:

abum number one,
abum number two,
abum number three taribo west,
ana m echeta SAM OKWARAJI,
onye Naijiria nke nwuru onwu ike.
O kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa goal keeper,
goal keeper amalie elu tie akwaoche,
akwaoche nzuru oke onu.....

Wow a nice childhood Igbo song of those days

flex the rythme my dear!

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by nonjebose(m): 8:16pm On Aug 12, 2014
onatisi: probably uu never saw him play , or never knew about his devotion and humility and how he was always around even when maltreated by the then nfa . Those that witnessed his playing days will never forget him .
I will never forget his skills comparable to Pirlo. His patriotism was unparalleled.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by nonjebose(m): 8:18pm On Aug 12, 2014
Shinelle: Today also marks 7years since I lost ma dad, so I guess its HDD to him and all his deathday mates....Rip Samuel,dad and all others, it is well....
Eyah.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by ibrahim55(m): 8:22pm On Aug 12, 2014
Abuniga: How e take affect me where dey go service by november batch c
shuuu y u come dey announce am na undecided
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by nonjebose(m): 8:24pm On Aug 12, 2014
soulglo: Wow. It's been 25 years. I remember that match. May his soul continue to rest in peace
he was one of the best midfielders.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by hensben(m): 8:27pm On Aug 12, 2014
adeitoro:

Are you jealous of the language? If you are ask him to teach you.
The song goes like this:

abum number one,
abum number two,
abum number three taribo west,
ana m echeta SAM OKWARAJI,
onye Naijiria nke nwuru onwu ike.
O kpa kpa kpa kpa kpa goal keeper,
goal keeper amalie elu tie akwaoche,
akwaoche nzuru oke onu.....

Wow a nice childhood Igbo song of those days

flex the rythme my dear!
LOL! how i wan take feel the rhythm wey i nor dey hear any sound, how am i sure if its even a song.
you funny oo
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by nonjebose(m): 8:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
Dateline: August 12,1989. Venue. : National Stadium,Surulere,Lagos. Match. : Nigeria vs Angola. Excerpt.: It was a Italia 90 World Cup qualifier match. A must win match for nigeria,who had perennial rivals,Cameroun,and Gabon in same group. The players were playing under tension,but not Okwaraji. Together with Keshi,he waltzed through the midfield like a gladiator,skipping tackles, and sending killer passes all through the time. With his preferred no 12 jersey,he delighted the appreciative Lagos fans in the stadium,and millions at home(including yours truly). Suddenly,he fell to the ground while play continued,until his teammates called the attention of the referee. Right at home,I saw a stiiff Okwaraji on the pitch. White foamy material dripping down his mouth,players' hands raised to their heads,medical team rushing to the field,sound of the ambulance siren wailing,and the quietness of the over 80000 spectators. We won the match with a late Keshi header,but we lost Okwaraji

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by neyur: 8:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
holyboss:

Na today he die undecided

these country nigeria is beautiful....lmao

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by onatisi(m): 8:59pm On Aug 12, 2014
nonjebose: Those are kids on nairaland,obviously. He was one the best midfielders after Muda Lawal. Skillful, hardworking and full of vision. I compare him with Pirlo. It was said that Nigeria would have qualified if he played in Younde in our last match
I remember his first match for nigeria at enugu the match against algeria . I don't think nigeria will ever have a player like that ,who gave for his father land

1 Like

Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by nonjebose(m): 9:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
onatisi: I remember his first match for nigeria at enugu the match against algeria . I don't think nigeria will ever have a player like that ,who gave for his father land
. Yeah,I do too. He was so sublime. I also remember his thunderbolt of a goal against Cameroun at the nations cup. Antoine Bell was stunned,and could only flap his wings. It was the fastest goal
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by onatisi(m): 9:26pm On Aug 12, 2014
nonjebose: . Yeah,I do too. He was so sublime. I also remember his thunderbolt of a goal against Cameroun at the nations cup. Antoine Bell was stunned,and could only flap his wings. It was the fastest goal
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew you remember that goal! Whaoo . When will nigeria have such a player again . So sad his career was cut short
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by holyboss: 9:36pm On Aug 12, 2014
neyur:

these country nigeria is beautiful....lmao
Oh! Cos u liv in Abuja abi! undecided you go to d north side smiley

#justSaying
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by dangoteagent: 11:10pm On Aug 12, 2014
To become a distributor of dangote cement call sales manager (RS scheme): 09024810323 or at sales.distributors.applcation@gmail.com
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by millionaireman: 11:33pm On Aug 12, 2014
Sam Okwaraji stadium, Orlu, Imo state - from foundation laying ceremony by former Imo state governor Udenwa to commissioning ceremony by former Nigerian president Obasanjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHShTh4iFVo
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by tosinisrael5678(m): 7:12am On Aug 13, 2014
Abuniga: How e take affect me where dey go service by november batch c
u tink ur damn lyf is in ur hands?
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Nobody: 7:34am On Aug 13, 2014
This is the sung we used to sing for him when we were little:

Sam Okwaraji
Was a player
He used to play for Nigeria
When he wants to play
He fell and die
That is the end of samuel okwaraji !

Sam okwaraji may God be with u
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by hazyfm: 8:07am On Aug 13, 2014
Abuniga: i mumu pass am fool

Bokoharam... see ur face
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by easyelliot(m): 12:44pm On Aug 13, 2014
I remember the match like it was yesterday and to say it has been 25 yrs already....wow.

I'm just gonna put it out there, if this had happened to an American player playing for the US, a foundation would have been set up, his jersey number retired and some kind of remembrance. It would not be dependent on a regime or leadership, it would continue regardless of whomever is president.

I'll give credit for the statue outside a national stadium that is no longer a national stadium.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by Natasha2(f): 1:12pm On Aug 13, 2014
Wow didn't know about him. R.I.P
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by benELOHIM7(m): 4:59pm On Aug 13, 2014
bros jiriya wayo, ke inhe isuwa eba sef? cry
ineco: today make 25 years nw that Samuel okwaraji dead on national stadium surulere, may He soul rest in perfect peace. and his mother snd family were complaining that nothing was done in return of their son.well thsts Nigerian 4u. may He soul rest in perfect peace amen.
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by sawhite: 6:41pm On Aug 13, 2014
moscobabs: na hin score the only goal agaist India when india beat us 99 - 1 that year,may his soul rest in peace grin grin grin grin

na so my papa tell me
u dad must be a _________
Re: 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field by ikemoore: 11:52am On Aug 14, 2014
Make em soul RIP! I dey there 4 corner wen him casket passd the street.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NFF Considers Appointing Eguavoen Permanent Super Eagles Coach / Rehabilitation Works Begin At The National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos / Emenike, Nsofor, Ameobi Return For Super-Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.