Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,006 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge (15981 Views)

CJN Unhappy Over Conflicting Decisions By Appeal Court Divisions / Boko-Haram Claims Victory Over Nigerian Army In New Video / I ‘ve Video Evidence On Murder Of Abacha, Abiola – Al-mustapha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by HappyJoe: 12:34am On Aug 14, 2014
Many see Wasila Tasi'u as a victim: a 14-year-old girl from a poor, strictly Muslim family in northern Nigeria, who killed her 35-year-old husband using rat poison after a forced marriage.

But those closest to the case, including the girl's father, described her as a consenting, age-appropriate bride who dated Umar Sani and expressed a clear desire to marry him.

The trial, which is set to begin in the coming weeks, has thrown the spotlight on Nigeria's deep religious and cultural divides, especially the influence of Islamic law in the mainly Muslim north.

"To us, she is not a child. It is the norm here to marry off a girl at 14," said the dead groom's father, Sani Garba.

"We can't forgive her for this," the 55-year-old added.

According to police, Tasi'u confessed to putting poison in food she prepared for a party two weeks after her April wedding in Unguwar Yansoro, a remote village some 60 kilometres (37 miles) from Nigeria's second city of Kano.

She did so "because she was forced by her parents to marry a man she did not love", Kano state police spokesman Musa Magaji Majia told AFP.

Tasi'u has been charged with the murder of Sani and three others who ate the contaminated food.

Her lawyer Hussaina Aliyu said any admissions made by Tasi'u are inadmissable because she is a minor who was interrogated without a guardian or a lawyer present.

A judge rejected Aliyu's bid to have the case transferred from the High Court in the town of Gezawa to the juvenile system.

The defence lawyer insists the case is not a debate about the acceptability of child marriage in a Muslim society.

Instead, she has tried to focus her defence on the fact that a 14-year-old cannot be tried for murder as an adult in Nigeria.

The trial had been set to start on August 4 but a judicial staff strike caused a backlog in Gezawa and a new date has not been fixed.

- 'Not a forced marriage' -

Nigeria has no minimum marriage age but anyone under 21 who wants to marry must get parental consent.

Child marriage, rampant in the mainly Muslim north, is extremely rare in the predominantly Christian south.

To outsiders, the notion of a normal courtship between a girl of 14 and a 35-year-old man may seem abhorrent but Tasi'u's father said there was nothing abnormal about the lead-up to her wedding.

"My daughter was never forced into marriage. She chose Umar (Sani) from three suitors," said 50-year-old Tasui Mohammed.

He told AFP the couple began "dating" when Tasi'u was 13 but the family told Sani he had to wait until her 14th birthday before they could marry, in keeping with family tradition.

Tasi'u was the seventh of his daughters to marry at 14.

According to the custom of the region's dominant Hausa tribe, a girl notifies her father of her choice for marriage through an envoy, typically a close friend.

Mohammed said he learnt that Tasi'u had selected Sani through a friend named Fauziyya, who visited his sparse mud house to formally deliver the news.

Tasi'u then approached his daughter to make sure her decision was final.

"She gave me her word that this was her choice," he said.

Asked about his daughter's possible motives for the alleged murder, Mohammed said: "It is devastating and I don't know why she did it."

- Victim of a crime? -

Nigerian criminal law was shaped by British colonial-era measures and penal codes in the north and south vary slightly as the two regions were governed as separate colonies before 1914.

Both regions technically outlaw "carnal knowledge" of a minor but enforcing that measure is complicated in the north as police must strike a tricky balance with sharia, which some say permits sexual relations with minors.

Human rights lawyers, especially southern Christians, have called for the charges against Tasi'u to be dismissed, saying she should be rehabilitated as a victim and noting the possibility that she was raped by the man she married.

Underscoring the dramatically different viewpoints surrounding the case, a close friend of the poisoned Sani said Tasi'u must face severe punishment to dissuade other women from thinking her actions were acceptable.

"Four other women have tried to poison their husbands' food," Husseini Yansoro claimed.

"We believe they were encouraged by the legal support Wasila (Tasi'u) is getting and the rumours that... she will soon be freed."

AFP could not independently verify his claims about other poisonings in the area.

The uncle of the accused said those who are now paying attention to the case have no understanding of life in the cripplingly poor area.

"Our girls don't go to modern school because we don't have one, not even a primary school," the 44-year-old said.

"Once our girls reach the age of 14 we marry them off... What do we keep them at home for?"

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/140813/deep-divisions-over-nigerian-child-bride-murder-charge
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by tomsniel(m): 5:34am On Aug 14, 2014
poor Girl. I dont support child marriage but the way she handled it was too extreme.. Btw so GEJ's fresh air of education never reach those places..Diaris Goduooo

2 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by slimpoppa(m): 5:35am On Aug 14, 2014
Hmm! its a serious one.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by englishmart(m): 5:35am On Aug 14, 2014
Umar sani. RIP TO YOU.
Don't worry younger virgins await you in heaven.
LOLgringringringringringringringringrin
Meanwhile,
A 14 year old girl got married to a 35 year old man.

This is legal but not logical.

14 years girl forced to marry against her wish
this is logical but not legal.

Now 14 years girl, killed her 35years husband.

This is neither legal nor logical .undecided

she can be remanded till she turns imprisonable.
undecided

22 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by gerrardomendes(m): 5:35am On Aug 14, 2014
What is my business?

.ftc sha
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by englishmart(m): 5:36am On Aug 14, 2014
tomsniel: .....
I catch you. Oga Seun come see this guy o. Na space he dey book this early morning
gringringringringringringringringrin
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 5:37am On Aug 14, 2014
story for the gods, they are wise

2 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by englishmart(m): 5:37am On Aug 14, 2014
slimpoppa: Hmm!
stylishly booking space. What is hmm?
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by madridguy(m): 5:37am On Aug 14, 2014
Allahumo harib mon araba ISLAM.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by INFO70: 5:41am On Aug 14, 2014

7 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 5:43am On Aug 14, 2014
Islam has caused a lot sha

4 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by tomsniel(m): 5:44am On Aug 14, 2014
englishmart: O my gawd
see pesn wey accuse person o

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by ednut1(m): 5:49am On Aug 14, 2014
barbaric culture

6 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by iiichidodo: 5:51am On Aug 14, 2014
This should be counted as self defence as taking custody of a minor without its consent for whatever purposes is tantamount to kidnapping....Child kidnapping.

18 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by PassingShot(m): 5:52am On Aug 14, 2014
Going by the account of the bride's father, she was not forced into marriage because she chose the man to marry and thus needs to face justice. End of story.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by englishmart(m): 5:53am On Aug 14, 2014
gerrardomendes: What is my business?

.ftc sha
4th to comment you meant?
You dey use glo line and you wan be first to comment. Smh.

2 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Omexonomy: 5:53am On Aug 14, 2014
tomsniel: poor Girl. I dont support child marriage but the way she handled it was too extreme.. Btw so GEJ's fresh air of education never reach those places..Diaris Goduooo
it is the duty of lg chairman and governos to provide primary and secondary education in nigeria with the heavy monthly allocation been recived from gej.

16 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by englishmart(m): 5:55am On Aug 14, 2014
Yungwizzzy: H
I catch you red-handed today. Oya nl police, arrest this man.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by PassingShot(m): 5:55am On Aug 14, 2014
Omexonomy: it is the duty of lg chairman and governos to provide primary and secondary education in nigeria with the heavy monthly allocation been recived from gej.

From the FG you mean. The money does not belong to GEJ or any individual no matter how highly placed.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by hollandis(f): 5:55am On Aug 14, 2014
This girl is a role model to fellow children bride .USA should grant her amnesty jare.Her father is a useless thing

27 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by englishmart(m): 5:55am On Aug 14, 2014
tomsniel: see pesn wey accuse person o
we dey use our head.
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by JUHABACH: 5:57am On Aug 14, 2014
how is this even a debate. the penal code clearly provides that no one can be brought under any crininal charge till they attain the age of 18.
the A.G. ought to intervene in this matter.

5 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by LyfeJennings(m): 6:00am On Aug 14, 2014
As much as I want to keep quiet,I'd feel terrible if I dont express my feelings.
Peadophilia is a very terrible act. Whoever engages in it for any reason is an animal,a barbarian.
I know this is not just the practice in the north alone but some other middle eastern countries. It's terrible to think this madness is acceptable in the modern world.

Sorry girl,God be with U.U sure have the world by your side on this one.

16 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Cymbal: 6:00am On Aug 14, 2014
Irony of Life. angry

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by mshereef(m): 6:01am On Aug 14, 2014
englishmart: Umar sani. RIP TO YOU.
Don't worry younger virgins await you in heaven.
LOLgringringringringringringringringrin
Meanwhile,
A 14 year old girl got married to a 35 year old man.

This is legal but not logical.

14 years girl forced to marry against her wish
this is logical but not legal.

Now 14 years girl, killed her 35years husband.

This is neither legal nor logical .undecided

she can be remanded till she turns imprisonable.
undecided
You don't have to be like this, you can be much better.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by bunmioguns(m): 6:08am On Aug 14, 2014
Serves the man right... He has no fwucking shame.. embarassed embarassed

Quote me and say nonsence... You will see the way thunder will fire your left yansh...

Meanwhile, good news for we android and other
phones user as there is no need to continue
switching off your data connection... Please
check https://www.nairaland.com/1852534/
mtn-data-cheapest-rate#25391810. For more
info and share in the testimony.... Please do
not assume this is a scam... It is 100% real

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 6:08am On Aug 14, 2014
They should let this child be
Imagine a 35 year old rap.ing a 14 year old child nightly in the name of marriage

19 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by gameboi: 6:09am On Aug 14, 2014
Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 6:11am On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot: Going by the account of the bride's father, she was not forced into marriage because she chose the man to marry and thus needs to face justice. End of story.

What do you expect the eediotic man to say
Do you want the dead man's family to demand he returns the goats they gave him for bride price ?
The father is most likely a polygamist With no real attachment to those kids
See how he proudly told us he married his 7 girls off at 14 like it were an achievement
They are just a bunch of revenue fetching commodities to him

Why don't we hear from her mother
I bet you the mother will tell the real story

29 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by PassingShot(m): 6:15am On Aug 14, 2014
babyosisi:

What do you expect the eediotic man to say
Do you want the dead man's parents to demand the goats they gave him for bride price back?
The father is most likely a polygamist
There is no real attachment to those kids
See how he prodly told us he married them all off at. 14
They are just a bunch of revenue fetching commodities to him

I don't think the man is not saying the truth here considering that his other daughters were married off at 14.

The point of debate here is whether the girl was forced into marriage or not. I believe she was not forced into marriage because you have to think that it's the common thing in that part of Nigeria to marry early since education is not in their plan.

1 Like

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Nobody: 6:16am On Aug 14, 2014
PassingShot:

I don't think the man is not saying the truth here considering that his other daughters were married off at 14.

The point of debate here is whether the girl was forced into marriage or not. I believe she was not forced into marriage because you have to think that it's the common thing in that part of Nigeria to marry early since education is not in their plan.

The point is that
She is 14
14 year olds are minors
Minors cannot get into legal contracts
Can't even vote
If she went into it willingly,she wouldn't have killed him

"Our girls don't go to modern school because we don't have one, not even a primary school," the 44-year-old said.

"Once our girls reach the age of 14 we marry them off... What do we keep them at home for?"

The statement above by her uncle tells you the girl had no choice in this marriage matter
This is a life chosen for her

24 Likes

Re: Deep Divisions Over Nigerian Child Bride On Murder Charge by Onegai(f): 6:18am On Aug 14, 2014
She's a victim. The state govt has failed in providing even free primary education and the FG failed in not insisting on a minimum marital age of 16 (irrespective of whom you worship). If all their womenfolk were delighted with marrying elderly men (they're usually sold to pay debts), why is there anecdoctal evidence of 4 more wives attempting to poison their husbands, due to the support this child is getting?

The child was given 3 choices (can't people read??) Of men to marry and she picked this one. That's probably what happened to her sisters and her peers. So it was bound to be a her lot in life (because a bunch of people want to keep the status quo and maintain their superiority and idiots who suffer it, will tell you "it is our tradition/religion", I've met countless Northerners from wealthy homes, their own daughters marry at 18 or 21).

I don't support murder, she should be tried as a juvenile and should serve time for what she did. And muslim brethen, enough is enough: change marital age to 16. VVF, polio, unemployment and more is plaguing the North. Stop the wahala now

One of our gatemen did this (he thought to his mind he was a millionaire because of his meagre salary) and went to buy himself a little girl as bride. The child eventually ran away from him. So now, most of his peers forbid their wives from leaving their shed, since they don't want them forming attachments or knowing the lay of the town (so as to plan running away) till they've got kids to tie them down.

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Farooq Kperogi: Fani-Kayode Libel Suit Against Daily Trust Needless Self-Injury / CCT Trial: Saraki Arrives Tribunal With only Two Senators / Youths Demand Probe Of Ambode, Storm Lagos Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.