Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share (1238 Views)

If You're Happily Married, Please Share Your Story / How Do You Handle A Very Stubborn Wife? / Parents, How Will You Handle This Without Embarrasing Yourself ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by red101(f): 6:28am On Aug 14, 2014
Thanks
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by KanwuliaJara: 6:34am On Aug 14, 2014
BUY BIGGER CLOTHES! kiss

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by red101(f): 6:38am On Aug 14, 2014
that's depressing
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by thorpido(m): 6:43am On Aug 14, 2014
Weight gain will occur when the energy input is more than the output i.e calorie intake is more than energy expended.
The key is to cut down on high calorie food like junk foods and fried foods.You also need to exercise to burn off some energy.
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by tpia1: 6:47am On Aug 14, 2014
red101: that's depressing

True.

Its more depressing squeezing into too tight clothes though and emphasizing every inch of weight gain in an unflattering manner.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by tpia1: 6:47am On Aug 14, 2014
thorpido: Weight gain will occur when the energy input is more than the output i.e calorie intake is more than energy expended.
The key is to cut down on high calorie food like junk foods and fried foods.You also need to exercise to burn off some energy.

True.
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by red101(f): 7:27am On Aug 14, 2014
I suspect that my metabolism has slowed down. I just feel like this is so unfair because it used to be so effortless.
It's like my body now wants to get fat.

anyone experienced something like this?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 14, 2014
First of all what caused the weight gain?
Depression?
Child birth?
Contraceptives?
Excessive food consumption and not enough exercise?
Aging? (are you getting to age 30)?

1. Depression: when you are bothered about something, tragedy, family issues, loss of a spouse, broken or faulty relationship people withdraw, stop doing physical activities, feel weak a lot and have sugar cravings. This leads to weight gain and except you get out of the funk and treat the mental health the weight will still remain or if you loose it, it comes back.

2. Child Birth: this is self explanatory, after birth women gain weight and also have to feed much more to breasfeed. The solution is having a diet that would give baby nutrients yet not swallow mummy up. Google diets for breastfeeding moms.

3. Contraceptives: depending on the choice some contraceptives make women gain weight excessively, it also makes you have pimples and darken your complexion. For such contraceptives except you change it the weight stays and keeps increasing.

4. Excessive calorie intake and little physical activity: Nigerian foods are mostly high calorie followed with fried meat in high quantity, with cars and lifts these days we dont get to move around and burn the calories hence the need for a better healtheir diet choice. For the first 2 weeks do a decleansing and fruit fast, no sugar, no milk, no chocolates, no biscuits, strictly fruits and vegetables, also blend ugu, carrots and water melon, if you have a juice its better. Have a bottle of ugu in the morning with boiled quail eggs and an apple, lunch boiled plantain, local chicken and carrot juice, dinner green salad no dressing. You can alternate with moi moi boiled potatoes and fruit salad, if you can get acha where you live you can make the pudding, porridge and tuwo and eat with vegetable soup. No fried foods at all, also walk at least 500 steps a day, evening walks not only helps with weight loss but helps your blood circulate better.
The first week is frustrating but if you hold on by the end of the second or third week you will see results.

Aging: when you start getting to 30 for some of us our body metabolism slows down. You see you get tired easily and find yourself resting more, its nature you cant cheat it, but what you can do is totally avoid all sugars and soft drinks, no chocolates, biscuits and candys, juice must only be fresh and at least 8 glasses of water if not more a day. Keep a bottle of water by your bedside and drink at night. Have a lot of black tea, not chinesse tea, lipton or lipton fruit tea just on its own no milk or sugar is good.

Resist the temptation of looking for quick fixes, diet pills, slimming teas and all that they will not only make you fatter but most destroys your livers and kidneys and lead to death or worse conditions.

Keeping a healthy weight takes discipline and hard work. There is no short cut for those not naturally slim

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 14, 2014
red101: I suspect that my metabolism has slowed down. I just feel like this is so unfair because it used to be so effortless.
It's like my body now wants to get fat.
anyone experienced something like this?

You are probably getting to 30. Before 30 I could eat all I want and jog for 15 minutes and stay as slim as I wanted now it takes a whole lot more
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by naptu2: 7:53am On Aug 14, 2014
Substitution = substitute junk food/snacks with fruits. You might often get the urge to eat and it's difficult to resist that urge. Simply satisfy the urge by eating bsnanas, apples, oranges, etc.

Exercise more.

Healthy alternatives = Replace white bread with brown bread. Replace groundnut oil with olive oil or canola oil.
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by red101(f): 8:09am On Aug 14, 2014
@aisha2,
that's funny that you mentioned all that because coincidentally my acne has reduced drastically and my period has become regular for the first time in my life. this coincided with weight gain. i'm not on birth control or anything.
the black tea thing also caught my eye. I used to drink at least a cup of black/green tea daily and also crave so much sugary foods. Because of my really bad acne, I cut out sweets, tea and milk from my diet. my acne improved and also my period became regular.. but then I started experiencing a bit of weight gain. I didn't worry at first because I was very slim so I thought a bit of weight won't hurt. Now I just feel like enough is enough because over time I can notice now that I've developed a little tummy pooch.

So what do you do? your diet and physical activity routine?
i'm 25. I guess it's only going to get worse. undecided
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 14, 2014
red101: @aisha2,
that's funny that you mentioned all that because coincidentally my acne has reduced drastically and my period has become regular for the first time in my life. this coincided with weight gain. i'm not on birth control or anything.
the black tea thing also caught my eye. I used to drink at least a cup of black/green tea daily and also crave so much sugary foods. Because of my really bad acne, I cut out sweets, tea and milk from my diet. my acne improved and also my period became regular.. but then I started experiencing a bit of weight gain. I didn't worry at first because I was very slim so I thought a bit of weight won't hurt. Now I just feel like enough is enough because over time I can notice now that I've developed a little tummy pooch.
So what do you do? your diet and physical activity routine?
i'm 25. I guess it's only going to get worse. undecided

Increase your tea intake to after each meal. I take at least 6 cups a day.
I diet, and exercise, I take evening walks/ jogs.

I wrote some of the diet choice up there. Take Ugu and carrot juice it will help your flow a lot
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by call4shola(m): 8:29am On Aug 14, 2014
avoid eating late, it works for me, anytime after 7PM just forget chops. for me i see the result just after 3 days
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by red101(f): 8:35am On Aug 14, 2014
aisha2:

Increase your tea intake to after each meal. I take at least 6 cups a day.
I diet, and exercise, I take evening walks/ jogs.

I wrote some of the diet choice up there. Take Ugu and carrot juice it will help your flow a lot

Thanks a ton. I have a box of black tea just sitting in my cabinet. I will start drinking it everyday.
what kind of exercise do you do and how do you keep motivated to work out?
I will try carrot juice. what's ugu? that word sounds very familiar but i haven't lived in Nigeria in a decade so i forgot what it is. a kind of vegetable? can I find it in the US?
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by red101(f): 8:36am On Aug 14, 2014
call4shola: avoid eating late, it works for me, anytime after 7PM just forget chops. for me i see the result just after 3 days

I eat late a lot. I will take your advice. thanks!!
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by Nobody: 8:40am On Aug 14, 2014
red101:
Thanks a ton. I have a box of black tea just sitting in my cabinet. I will start drinking it everyday.
what kind of exercise do you do and how do you keep motivated to work out?
I will try carrot juice. what's ugu? that word sounds very familiar but i haven't been in Nigeria in a decade so i forgot what it is. a kind of vegetable? can I find it in the US?

What keeps me motivated is the fresh air my lungs get when I take evening walks and jogs, plus its my time to be calm, reflect and enjoy music on my phone.

Lol, ugu is a vegetable rich in iron used to make egusi and other soups. You can try betrot there, fresh orange and pineapple juice.

If you feel like snacking snack on grapes and apples, I stuff them in my fridge so when I feel like snacking I have only healthy alternatives.

I have a seperate fridge for hubby which I lock and give only him the key, he can eat any and everything and not get fat, its very annoying lol

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by red101(f): 8:50am On Aug 14, 2014
merci beaucoup
I'm going to go shopping at whole foods tomorrow. diet begins 8/15.
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by red101(f): 8:54am On Aug 14, 2014
If anybody wants to join me, they are free to do so.

black tea every morning
more vegetables in my meals and a cup of herbal tea with it
more fruits
cut out junk and unhealthy snacks
exercise (I'm going to use billy blank videos) at least 30 min a day.
no meals or snacks after 7pm
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 14, 2014
red101: If anybody wants to join me, they are free to do so.
black tea every morning
more vegetables in my meals and a cup of herbal tea with it
more fruits
cut out junk and unhealthy snacks
exercise (I'm going to use billy blank videos) at least 30 min a day.
no meals or snacks after 7pm

Am not comfortable with the herbal tea. After 7pm you can have salads, fruits and apples. I get hungry at night and I eat local peppered chicken and salad
Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by NoQualms1(f): 9:13am On Aug 14, 2014
call4shola: avoid eating late, it works for me, anytime after 7PM just forget chops. for me i see the result just after 3 days

What time do you sleep? I think as long as you do not sleep immediately after eating you can still burn off the calorie regardless of the time you eat last.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by SAMBARRY: 9:25am On Aug 14, 2014
Weight gain is a thing of the mind. You are what you see in yourself. If you see yourself as fat yhen others will see you in that light and if you see yourself as slim others will see you as.

solution; wear what looks good for your stature appear simple yet elegant and no one will notice your obesity even if you are. Plus carry yourself well. Walk smartly, not sloppy or dragging your feet on the ground.

It's not all the time weight gain has to do with what you eat. If it is hereditary and you diet now till thy Kingdom come you will still be who you are. However if you have a tendency to be fat due to hereditary factors, you can only curb it, you can't stop it . you can curtail it by reducing the quantity of food you consume so your stomach ot apetite doesn't keep expanding. Help yourself by reducing cakes, icr cream and fried stuffs not total elimination.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by SAMBARRY: 9:29am On Aug 14, 2014
Look at toolz for example, she's fat but smart and wears clothes that suits her body frame which doesn't make her obesity obvious

Re: How Do You Handle Weight Gain? Please Share by red101(f): 4:55am On Aug 17, 2014
thanks all!
I ate a lot today but I drank a cup of black tea in the morning and did a bit of exercise.

SAMBARRY: Look at toolz for example, she's fat but smart and wears clothes that suits her body frame which doesn't make her obesity obvious

she looks really good.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do People Subconsciously Sing Song While Doing Home Chores? / Is It Ever Possible?? / Menace Of Single Motherhood… Wait, If You Have To!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.