Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,390 members, 7,819,397 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread (5065 Views)

The Best Professionl Course(s) For Geo-scientists (applied Geo-physicists) / Thread For Electrical/electronic Engineering Students/graduates / Why The Comparism Btwn Physicists And Mathematicians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 19, 2014
rocketphysicist:
Easier said than done, you obviously can't turn down a lucrative job outside your field. Yes nigeria needs scientist but the government doesn't encourage scientific research neither do they give jobs (NASDRA, SPACE TECHNOLOGY and the rest) the necessary transparent recruitment. Its always "long leg"

abi
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by rocketphysicist(m): 5:04pm On Aug 19, 2014
NigellusHosan:

Are u a physicist
Yes I am. But I have never worked in my field.
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by rocketphysicist(m): 5:11pm On Aug 19, 2014
NigellusHosan:

Are u a physicist
Yes I am, but have never worked in my field
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Nobody: 6:49am On Aug 20, 2014
rocketphysicist:
Yes I am, but have never worked in my field

Where av you u worked ?
&
What do u do now ?...

Where U've been able to work, what role has physics as ur course of study played ?..
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 20, 2014
Lord9con:

Sorry for my late reply. Was a bit occupied.
To answer your question, First of all I don't think there is any disadvantage studying physics. Because the training and exposure one receives gives you that limitless opportunity to participate in whatever area that interests you. some places where you could find physics graduates working include; Oil and Gas, Telecomm. Aviation, Medical Physics, Power Sector.e.t.c One thing I'll advice everyone out there is to work very hard in school, get good grades and Develop your professional network because it would go a long way in helping you.

Thanks Again for ur insightful comments
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by cumz(m): 11:11pm On Aug 22, 2014
hello my great physics students...
please
after bsc..what else
masters or professional programs
answer with reasons please
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Collino1989: 9:53am On Aug 23, 2014
I studied industrial physics, completed my nose in 2012, up till date I ve not gotten any job, I need help from you guys, my e mail is collino1987@gmail.com
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by sammydee17: 4:31pm On Sep 18, 2014
what about medical physics options in bsc where can dey work?
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by rocketphysicist(m): 5:53pm On Sep 18, 2014
There is this job currently going on for electricity distributon companies apply here. www.dis-recruit.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by segsxpendable(m): 2:08am On Sep 22, 2014
physics grad,,currently serving in Lagos,,already have PRINCE2 foundation certification,,aspiring to switch to geophysics @ M.sc level.....am i making d best/right choice and wch school(here in Naija) is d best to study geophysics??
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Nobody: 5:55am On Sep 23, 2014
Am Henry .graduate of pure physics ..delta state university currently serving
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Drealbunmi(m): 4:51pm On Oct 06, 2014
maltina:
Am Henry .graduate of pure physics ..delta state university currently serving
bro..are deir lots of opportunities out there??
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by mxchly(m): 4:30pm On Oct 07, 2014
Graduate of Astrophysics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.

Ask yourself this, why did I study physics? Did I even chose to study this course or did jamb/school dash it to me?
Once you answer this, then you have taken the first step to building a successful career in life.
Now there are no defined jobs out there for physicists, quote me, no "defined" jobs. During your first year orientation, they may have filled your head with bullshit about some oil and gas coy needing physicists sooo badly or telecom or even space and satellite centers. I just so wish it's achievable anywhere in the world. And parastatals in Nigeria, NigComSat, NASDAR, CBSS, Energy, NNPC...etc are too corrupt and less likely to recruit any fresh graduate physicist unless you are connected.
But nonetheless, these centres may require the services of a physicist but what they mostly ask themselves is why not an engineer? They are better at implementing and  interpreting  Computer Aided Designs (CAD), tweaking computer networks, working together and bringing up useful ideas. I know what I'm saying and it's from experience.
Ok now lemme just briefly say whats on ma mind instead of blabbing about how engineers are better.

If you made a first class in physics, take up a lecturing position in any university in Nigeria and be patient enough until you get an appointment letter. Another option; source for fundings and scholarships for abroad masters, diligently study something that will make you invaluable to any coy (petrophysics, geophysics, applied physics, physics engineering, medical physics, solar physics, astrophysics...etc) or something that will make you impact positively in people's lives (unlike some Nigerian physics lecturers). Oil and gas sectors are also waiting for you with open arms, likewise other sectors in Nigeria, depends on you and what you want.

If you made a 2.1 you can also source for fundings and scholarships for your msc abroad. Follow oil and gas coys bumper to bumper and prepare hard for their aptitude tests and interviews, give it a year, one must work out.

Now for 2.2, 3rd class and pass. You are NOT automatically scheduled to teach in a secondary or primary school or even settle in a barber's shop. Be resilient, make healthy and good networks with people (family friends, church members, friends of friends parents etc). Source for scholarships irrespective of your grades and opt for a masters in Nigeria or abroad.

Here's a tip for all classes to get a job quicker (this will mostly benefit those that are still in school)
1. Learn how to use a computer
2. Get a certificate in AUTO CAD.
3. Get a certificate in Computer Networking (CCNA, CCNP, CISCO..etc) 
4. Take your Industrial training seriously i.e. if you will undergo one
5. Be very prayerful
6. Try hard to make good grades 
7. Don't choose jobs. In any field you end up, do your best and try hard to get a master's within 5years.
8. Set life goals and be focused 
9. Engineers and doctors are not better than you
10. You are NOT in competition with anybody in life.
You can also take up certification programs in project management, HSE, Quality Assurance, PDMS, Offshore and Onshore...etc.

PS: I studied physics because I have passion for it.
Chilaka_im@outlook.com

4 Likes

Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Jamzig1(m): 5:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
mxchly:

Ask yourself this, why did I study physics? Did I even chose to study this course or did jamb/school dash it to me?
Once you answer this, then you have taken the first step to building a successful career in life
Thanks for the information sir. I just gained admission to study physics in Federal university of agriculture,abeokuta and i am thinking of going for masters in INSTRUMENTATION. What do u think?
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Nobody: 9:01am On Oct 09, 2014
3rd year studying physics,I dnt even knw what is in stock for me after grad because I dnt think there is enough opportunity out there. During my first year orientation the lecturers were telling us all sort of Gud things abt the course I knew it wasn't all true.
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 09, 2014
mxchly:

Once you answer this, then you have taken the first step to building a successful career in life.
Now there are no defined jobs out there for physicists, quote me, no "defined" jobs. During your first year orientation, they may have filled your head with bullshit about some oil and gas coy needing physicists sooo badly or telecom or even space and satellite centers. I just so wish it's achievable anywhere in the world. And parastatals in Nigeria, NigComSat, NASDAR, CBSS, Energy, NNPC...etc are too corrupt and less likely to recruit any fresh graduate physicist unless you are connected.
But nonetheless, these centres may require the services of a physicist but what they mostly ask themselves is why not an engineer? They are better at implementing and  interpreting  Computer Aided Designs (CAD), tweaking computer networks, working together and bringing up useful ideas. I know what I'm saying and it's from experience.
Ok now lemme just briefly say whats on ma mind instead of blabbing about how engineers are better.

If you made a first class in physics, take up a lecturing position in any university in Nigeria and be patient enough until you get an appointment letter. Another option; source for fundings and scholarships for abroad masters, diligently study something that will make you invaluable to any coy (petrophysics, geophysics, applied physics, physics engineering, medical physics, solar physics, astrophysics...etc) or something that will make you impact positively in people's lives (unlike some Nigerian physics lecturers). Oil and gas sectors are also waiting for you with open arms, likewise other sectors in Nigeria, depends on you and what you want.

If you made a 2.1 you can also source for fundings and scholarships for your msc abroad. Follow oil and gas coys bumper to bumper and prepare hard for their aptitude tests and interviews, give it a year, one must work out.

Now for 2.2, 3rd class and pass. You are NOT automatically scheduled to teach in a secondary or primary school or even settle in a barber's shop. Be resilient, make healthy and good networks with people (family friends, church members, friends of friends parents etc). Source for scholarships irrespective of your grades and opt for a masters in Nigeria or abroad.

Here's a tip for all classes to get a job quicker (this will mostly benefit those that are still in school)
1. Learn how to use a computer
2. Get a certificate in AUTO CAD.
3. Get a certificate in Computer Networking (CCNA, CCNP, CISCO..etc) 
4. Take your Industrial training seriously i.e. if you will undergo one
5. Be very prayerful
6. Try hard to make good grades 
7. Don't choose jobs. In any field you end up, do your best and try hard to get a master's within 5years.
8. Set life goals and be focused 
9. Engineers and doctors are not better than you
10. You are NOT in competition with anybody in life.
You can also take up certification programs in project management, HSE, Quality Assurance, PDMS, Offshore and Onshore...etc.

PS: I studied physics because I have passion for it.
Chilaka_im@outlook.com

Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by e4e5d4d5: 10:31pm On Apr 11, 2015
Re: Physicists Students & Graduates...discussion Thread by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 26, 2015
sammydee17:
sammydee17:
sammydee17:
and we're can they school as an undergraduate?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ican Study Pack For Public Sector Accounting / PHCN: Workers To Get Pay-offs From Privatisation Proceeds / Made In Nigeria Goods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.