Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,499 members, 7,819,813 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. (5060 Views)

Career As A Writer - Little Things That Go A Long Way In Selling Your Book / How To Start a Career as a Fresh Graduate - A Must Read / Advice On Career As An Architect In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by PowerIdeas(m): 12:17pm On Apr 08, 2009
Hello there everyone!

I was wondering if anyone here was interested in launching a carreer as a professional speaker in Nigeria, selling your expertise to individuals, companies, NGOs and government agencies, and making substantial revenues from knowledge products like speaking engagements, coaching programs, licensing, subscription consulting, seminars and the like?

Currently I serve as a Branch Head for a pension fund adminsitrator in Calabar but I've also built a rather rewarding second carreer as a professional speaker and personal development trainer in Cross River State.

Are there other people on this forum who have done the same thing or are interested in starting a second carreer: part time, fultime or in-between time as professional speakers?

1 Like

Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by zealplus(m): 3:56pm On Apr 08, 2009
Hi, I am very much interested. thanks
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by marcustan(m): 10:35pm On Apr 13, 2009
Power ideas,am very much interested in building a career as a professional speaker,but on a part time basis as am still in school.My email addy is dstan2k2@yahoo.com and phone num is 07030665135.Please hola back/Thanks
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by Godfathern(m): 3:08pm On Apr 17, 2009
I am interested.
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by dadde(m): 12:29pm On Apr 18, 2009
this is a great passion how do one start a part time speakin job.cld u tell us ur strategies or clues. thanks.
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by mrpro2(m): 10:15pm On Apr 18, 2009
dadde:

this is a great passion how do one start a part time speakin job.cld u tell us ur strategies or clues. thanks.

If you intend to speak on a part time basis, i'd suggest you start where you are. Look for the closest place around you, you don't have to wait for a big opportunity. Create your opportunity. Create your path to the market.

Let me share my experience. Follow me carefully

When I started out in my speaking career (ofcourse, i must admit that it wasn't rosy), I was passionate about sharing relevant information with youths.

What I did was very simple. I proposed to a youth leader of a particular church that I was pretty much interested in building up the members (at no charge of course) by empowering them with a couple of achievement formulas i had invented. Guess what? I was given the opportunity. It was that simple, I guess that was the last time I spoke for free (if I can remember). It was a wonderful experience for me anyway.

Professional speaking spans across many circles and sectors. Networking with the best in the 'speaking field' will give you wonderful opportunities and a wide array of exposure.

Ensure you package your content creatively, then package your concept. Finally, package your container(pay serious attention to your grooming skills).

All is well. Good luck. I hope to hear you speak someday!
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by PowerIdeas(m): 10:46am On Apr 23, 2009
Hello there Every One!

In November of 2001 as I prepared to round up my one year stint with the National Youth Service Corps, I had the good fortune to be
invited to a seminar by the famous Nigerian motivational speaker – Sam Adeyemi.

I say good fortune not because he told me anything I’d never heard before from my pastor, Rev. Tunde Joda, but because I later
discovered that he pocketed N100, 000 for the one hour presentation he gave. There and then I decided that speaking was the business
for me.

So I started asking around for information on how to get into public speaking and earn the fees that Sam Adeyemi commanded. I bought public
speaking books, attended seminars and workshops on presentation skills, facilitation skills, personal branding for speakers, and a host of other titles. Sadly I couldn’t find any resource in particular that could effectively answer the one question that burned on the inside of me – How do I
build a speaking business that earned me at least a million naira a year on a part time basis.

Most of the so called experts that I consulted with gave me the same age worn advice I’d heard so many times before: just speak as often as
you can and gradually as time goes on people will start knowing you and valuing you enough to want to pay for your talks.

What a load of crap!

The sad thing is I actually paid for the crappy advice and felt back then that I’d got my money’s worth!

What if you had a beautiful but demanding wife and four kids to feed and speaking for a living was the only opportunity you had – would you
follow that advice?

I don’t think so!

It took me three years to crack the code but I finally did.

Today I earn far more than a million a year on a part time basis from my speaking business. I’ve traveled to beautiful places I never even
knew existed, slept in more hotels than I care to count, developed relationships that have proved useful in many areas of my life.

Currently I'm working on a free report that will be available to anyone interested in learning the system that i use.

I’m not going to teach you how to write a speech, or hold your audience spell bound there a thousand and one books out there that do
that quite effectively.

What I’m going to do is give you something you’ll be hard pressed to find for free in this country and that is teach you the business of speaking
and how to effectively sell your ideas, training concepts, knowledge and  expertise in literally any city in Nigeria 

I believe this report will change the way you approach your speaking career. I hope it will give you a much bigger vision of what’s available to you as an expert in your field.

In the interim, please send an email to primediacommunications@gmail.com if you are interested and I'll forward the report to you once I'm done.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by Entertainoz: 9:59am On Aug 19, 2010
hi,
I am also intrested. Thanks.
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by DisGuy: 11:53pm On Aug 20, 2010
you can and gradually as time goes on people will start knowing you and valuing you enough to want to pay for your talks.

[size=16pt]What a load of crap![/size]

The sad thing is I actually paid for the crappy advice and felt back then that I’d got my money’s worth

glad you said it yourself!!

Scam no get part 2

all these talkers sef absolute jibber jibber!!
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 22, 2010
One can really Build A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. with determination.

Goodluck to you all.
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by steaming(f): 10:58am On Aug 30, 2010
sent u a mail over a forthnight now, no response shocked
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by Ideegee(m): 10:43am On Sep 01, 2010
Hi All,

I come on here once in a while. I know of a grooming ground for up-coming speakers. If you are interested, just go to facebook and search for PUBSPEECH Community. Join the community and you would be told what to do there on.

Cheers.
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by PowerIdeas(m): 10:39am On Jan 18, 2011
Hello there everyone,

I'm sorry about the long silence.
Attached is the report i promised.

If you have any comments after reading it please post them here and
I get to them as soon as I can.

To Your success.

P/S: Just in case you are wondering, the report is not a sales pitch smiley

Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by Unkuable(m): 7:21am On Jan 19, 2011
Am powerfully interested,any info wil do.
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by erne: 5:10pm On Jan 09, 2016
Unlock Your Education
Enhance Your Public Speaking Skills
Conquer Your Fear & Speak with Confidence

Join our 1month intensive
PUBLIC SPEAKING CLASS:
Call: 08139458588
Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by erne: 5:11pm On Jan 09, 2016
Unlock Your Education
Enhance Your Public Speaking Skills
Conquer Your Fear & Speak with Confidence

Join our 1month intensive
PUBLIC SPEAKING CLASS:

Re: Building A Career As A Professional Speaker In Nigeria. by lordplanner(m): 12:27pm On Apr 29, 2017
highly interested

(1) (Reply)

Radiography Vs Pharmacy / Plant Design Management System (p.d.m.s) Software / What Profession Do You Find Sexiest?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.