Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,241 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO (1401 Views)

FG Bonds Are Liquid, Says DMO / Nigeria's Debt Now N12.12tn - DMO / Nigeria’s Debt Now $8.2bn, Says DMO •states Collected N1.3trn As IGR In 3 Yrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 14, 2014
THE nation's risk appetite may have appeared unabating as the total debt stock recorded about 2.7 per cent increase to N10.43 trillion ($66.99 billion), against N10.16 trillion ($65.25 billion) at the end of the first quarter ended March 31, 2014. The Debt Management Office (DMO) in its latest report of the nation's debt statistics showed that the rise was the result of continued debt deals by the Federal Government internally and externally.

Specifically, the domestic debt figure moved to N7.42 trillion at the end of June, from N7.18 trillion at the end of March 2014, representing 3.3 per cent increase. This is beside the N1.6 trillion owed by states. The external debt record also changed as the government brokered further deals amounting to about $200 million to reach $9.38 billion at the end of June, from $9.17 billion as at March 31, 2014.

However, there were no increments in the debt record of sub-national governments, as their total risk obligations remained stable at N1.6 trillion ($9.96 billion) at the end of June. The states of the federation, also known as sub-national governments, have contributed to the rising notoriety of the country's risk appetite.

The states' rising debt accumulation started from the $1.7 billion outstanding as at December 2008, but by June 2012, records showed a total debt stock of $2.2 billion, an increase of $500 million. However, from December 2012, the debt reached $2.64 billion as at June 2013, but assumed a proportional dimension as almost all the states got involved in raising capital for acclaimed development projects in their respective areas.

This resulted to phenomenal increase from $2.64 billion by June 2013, to $9.96 billion (N1.55 trillion) total debt stock, representing about $7.3 billion increase (more than 277 per cent) in just nine months.

The latest increase in the local debt profile could be attributable to the recent bond issuances by DMO, amounting to over N200 billion. In the last five months, DMO's domestic bond issuance has recorded about N385 billion, even as plans to raise more are in advance stages.

The economy managers had hinted that the domestic-external debt ratio, which is lopsided in favour of the costly domestic capital, would be bridged to a ratio of 60/40 in 2014 by further external debts.

The incentive to borrow more may not have been unconnected with the recent rebasing exercise of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which put the country's debt to GDP ratio in lower single digit.

But according to the issuance notice of the debt office, new bonds worth about N100 billion were re-opened yesterday. Specifically, N15 billion FGN Bond August 2016; N50 billion FGN Bond March 2024; and N35 billion FGN Bond July 2034 were re-opened yesterday at the rates of 13.5 per cent; 14.2 per cent; and 12.15 per cent respectively.

The rising debts have as well increased government's obligations as it is faced with the hemorrhaging debt service to the tune of N712 billion this year, an attestation to fact that the nation is back into the debt game.
http://odili.net/news/source/2014/aug/14/1.html
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
little by little gej and OI are plunging Nigeria into debt again with nothing to show for it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
yet nothing tangible to show for it. I also read oil prices are coming down too. Pity pity pity

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 14, 2014
Specifically, N15 billion FGN Bond August
2016; N50 billion FGN Bond March 2024; and N35
billion FGN Bond July 2034 were re-opened yesterday
at the rates of 13.5 per cent; 14.2 per cent; and 12.15
per cent respectively.
Smh
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by patrickmuf(m): 8:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
Politicians mortgaging our future since 1960...Crack heads in Government
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Idrismusty97(m): 8:15pm On Aug 14, 2014
How manage? Since when did when start burrowing? This is serious.
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli: yet nothing tangible to show for it. I also read oil prices are coming down too. Pity pity pity
The FG and states are not raising alarms because the total debt stock is only 12% of GDP.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 14, 2014
CFCfan:
The FG and states are not raising alarms because the total debt stock is only 12% of GDP.
first there isn't much to show for the debts,
Secondly i mentioned falling oil prices.
Of course they won't make noise about their loot.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 14, 2014
Yet there's so much inequality amongst us... Improvement in power, health and infrastructures is not well defined. Smh.
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Idrismusty97(m): 8:22pm On Aug 14, 2014
CFCfan:
But that is more than our external reserve and even our annual revenue. I thought we can't use our GDP to pay the debts, We will use our annual revenue. Private companies/business are the ones enjoying our GDP.
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:

True. The falling oil prices would lead to a reduction of govt revenue, which in turn reduces the govt's spending as a portion of GDP.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 14, 2014
CFCfan:

True. The falling oil prices would lead to a reduction of govt revenue, which in turn reduces the govt's spending as a portion of GDP.
a sensible government will reduce spending early while a silly one will increase borrowing.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 14, 2014
Idrismusty97: But that is more than our external reserve and even our annual revenue. I thought we can't use our GDP to pay the debts, We will use our annual revenue. Private companies/business are the ones enjoying our GDP.
very true, Nigerians, get ready, AUSTERITY MEASURES could be on its way. Our failed banks and dependence on foreign investment makes it even more likely.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
What does the APC controlled Lagos state have to show for its enormous debt burden?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Oklander: 8:41pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fresh air... Perhaps not!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 14, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
What does the APC controlled Lagos state have to show for its enormous debt burden?
it gives joy always when you compare the federal government with Lagos State Government, it tells me Apc is obviously doing great.
FG 51% of total allocation
Lasg less than 4% of total allocation.

From your comparison, Fashola should be president.

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by RockMaxi: 8:52pm On Aug 14, 2014
The states' rising debt accumulation started from
the $1.7 billion outstanding as at December
2008, but by June 2012, records showed a total
debt stock of $2.2 billion, an increase of $500
million. However, from December 2012, the debt
reached $2.64 billion as at June 2013, but
assumed a proportional dimension as almost all
the states got involved in raising capital for
acclaimed development projects in their
respective areas.

The rising debts have as well increased
government's obligations as it is faced with the
hemorrhaging debt service to the tune of N712
billion this year, an attestation to fact that the
nation is back into the debt game.

Now this calls for concern especially that 2015 elections is coming, Aspirants vying for Governorship must be able to come up with economically sound manifesto that is totally different from constructing flyovers and civic centres.
Well Mr. President, by 2015 you will no longer be inexperienced in navigating the affairs of this country. GDP rebasing should not be reason to plunge us into uncontrollable debt profile. Take the stand now for posterity sake.
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by manny4life(m): 8:53pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
a sensible government will reduce spending early while a silly one will increase borrowing.

As much as I detest inexcusable spending and unnecessary borrowing, how do you suggest the govt reduce spending? I need serious suggestions perhaps we can treat your option step by step.
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by manny4life(m): 8:57pm On Aug 14, 2014
CFCfan:

That's how US Debt rose, when we continue to deceive ourselves it's only 12% of GDP, sooner or later, it will be 60% of GDP. Nigeria is indeed growing, but I've always said it, we are developing at a slow pace, not enough to match our growth strength or should I say not enough to sustain our borrowing capacity.
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 14, 2014
RockMaxi:

Now this calls for concern especially that 2015 elections is coming, Aspirants vying for Governorship must be able to come up with economically sound manifesto that is totally different from constructing flyovers and civic centres.
Well Mr. President, by 2015 you will no longer be inexperienced in navigating the affairs of this country. GDP rebasing should not be reason to plunge us into uncontrollable debt profile. Take the stand now for posterity sake.
The only other viable policy would be to increase taxes and fees, to raise revenue and service their debts. But spending over N700bn on debt servicing is outrageous!
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 9:00pm On Aug 14, 2014
manny4life:

That's how US Debt rose, when we continue to deceive ourselves it's only 12% of GDP, sooner or later, it will be 60% of GDP. Nigeria is indeed growing, but I've always said it, we are developing at a slow pace, not enough to match our growth strength or should I say not enough to sustain our borrowing capacity.
Yes, the total US debt (including States and local governments) is now around 100% of the GDP.
More PPP arrangements could be implemented in order to cut govt borrowing and spending.
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 14, 2014
manny4life:

As much as I detest inexcusable spending and unnecessary borrowing, how do you suggest the govt reduce spending? I need serious suggestions perhaps we can treat your option step by step.
how come i usually get this kind of challenge at night, how about we start with the presidential airways and it's 11 fleet of planes and counting.
Or cutting down on the Ministers and thier minister of state and their adviser.
We can also scrap TAN. Not forgetting travel delegation. Too many to mention tonight

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
it gives joy always when you compare the federal government with Lagos State Government, it tells me Apc is obviously doing great.
FG 51% of total allocation
Lasg less than 4% of total allocation.

From your comparison, Fashola should be president.
The comparison is only natural because Lagos is the headquarter of your paymasters, who you claim can do better than the incumbent president. Since you claim they can do better with 10 talents (at the federal level), then it only makes sense to know how they've managed the 2 talents currently under their control. Isn't that COMMON SENSE?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by RockMaxi: 9:11pm On Aug 14, 2014
CFCfan:
The only other viable policy would be to increase taxes and fees, to raise revenue and service their debts. But spending over N700bn on debt servicing is outrageous!

Edited..
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
how come i usually get this kind of challenge at night, how about we start with the presidential airways and it's 11 fleet of planes and counting.
We can also scrap TAN. Not forgetting travel delegation. Too many to mention tonight
What if you first tell us what we can do to cut cost at Alausa?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
I stated in a thread last year, that there needs to be a constitutional amendment limiting the max number of ministers to 24-30. That would save 100s of millions of Naira.
There is no need for 11 planes in the Presidential fleet! 4 or 5 will do.
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by eaglechild: 9:16pm On Aug 14, 2014
Obiagelli:
Just like Fashola undecided
Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 14, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
The comparison is only natural because Lagos is the headquarter of your paymasters, who you claim can do better than the incumbent president. Since you claim they can do better with 10 talents (at the federal level), then it only makes sense to know how they've managed the 2 talents currently under their control. Isn't that COMMON SENSE?
i hope we are not comparing individuals cos that will be totally unfair to gej.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 14, 2014
Also, there shouldn't be more than 12 Federal ministries. The ministries could be:

Justice (The Police Affairs ministry will be merged with it)
Finance
Petroleum
FCT
Education
Health
Labor
Defense
Foreign Affairs
Internal Affairs (will oversee the immigration Service)
Trade/Investment
Energy (oversee the activities of the solid mineral industry)

Four ministers per geo-political zone should be enough

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 14, 2014
CFCfan:
I stated in a thread last year, that there needs to be a constitutional amendment limiting the max number of ministers to 24-30. That would save 100s of millions of Naira.
There is no need for 11 planes in the Presidential fleet! 4 or 5 will do.
there are a thousand ways to cut costs, by now we should have stopped importing fuel if we got our refineries working, in fact we should be making more money exporting finished products.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by oduastates: 9:25pm On Aug 14, 2014
Iweala doing the job she as sent to do.
Debts rising during an oil boom.
I cannot get my head around that.
The Algerian have increased their own foreign reserve to over $160 billion while Nigeria's foreign reserve keep falling.
Imperial foreign banks are going to come back later to pick off the country's assets for peanuts.
Lagos states debt are almost all used for capital projects.
The state can afford to pay off all her debt within a year.
The federal government's on the other hand , are used for invisible projects ,elephant projects,salaries or politician's stomach infrastructure (aka corruption).

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Debt Hits N10.43tr, Says DMO by oduastates: 9:27pm On Aug 14, 2014
RockMaxi:

Raising Taxes and fees is a no go area for this economy, believe you me the inflation that will result from that will definitely kill the common masses.
Inflation from taxes?
LOL

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking: Ebola: 1300 Nigerian Troops In Liberia Quarantined / A Question For Lagosian: Would Fashola Have Won 2007 Election Without Rigging? / Only Buhari Can Stop Insurgency, Says David-west

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.