Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,299 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist (1172 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Christians: How Does It Feel To Know GOD Exists? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 11:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
[b] To all those that refer to God's existence as a phantom, i pray you to ruminate on this "Pascal's wage" designed to help people make up their minds and discard their claim against God's existence.

Perhaps God exists, perhaps he does notexist. If you believe in him and when you die you discover that he exists you will be happy that you believed in him, because he will reward you. You will have everything to gain and nothing to lose, since you lose nothing by believing in him. If you believe in him and when you die it turns out that he does not exist, you have nothing to lose, you gain nothing and lose nothing. But if you refuse to believe in him and when you die you discover that he exists then you are in trouble. You would be sorry for yourself for not believing in him. You lose everything and gain nothing by not believing in him. It is therefore wise to be on the safer side by believing in and submitting to him since, at worst, you would have nothing to gain and nothing to lose if he does not exist, but everything to gain if he actually exists. A wise person would choose the better option that will put him on a safer side and that is the option of believing in God and submitting to him.
Besides, this option gives meaning to human life and removes absurdity from it.
The alternative option (i.e refusal to believe in God, and submit to him) is not a wise one, for it puts a person in a situation in which he has nothing to gain in the final analysis, even if God does not exist and everything to lose if he really exists. Besides, it commits one to a meaningless and absurd life.
[/b]

more

1 Like

Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by qstar(m): 11:40pm On Aug 14, 2014
You would have made more sense if "religions" preach just one God.

For instance, which god do you serve?
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 11:48pm On Aug 14, 2014
qstar: You would have made more sense if "religions" preach just one God.

For instance, which god do you serve?

lol i used capital letter "G" you should know am refering to the God that created the heaven and earth. The True GOD and not gods
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by qstar(m): 11:54pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fynestboi:

lol i used capital letter "G" you should know am refering to the God that created the heaven and earth. The True GOD and not gods

To me, whether "g" or "G" doesn't really make any difference.

Your OP advocates "gamble". But, you forgot that belief in God, according to religions, is not enough. You have to believe in their gods.

So, my question still stands, which religion do you practice?

1 Like

Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 12:00am On Aug 15, 2014
qstar:

To me, whether "g" or "G" doesn't really make any difference.

Your OP advocates "gamble". But, you forgot that belief in God, according to religions, is not enough. You have to believe in their gods.

So, my question still stands, which religion do you practice?

"Christianity"

am sure you know that today there are numerous organizations in our day that go by the name "religion", some of these organization are demonic cults, others are very lucrative business ventures set up to make money(gods), hence one should be careful to distinguish authentic religion (GOD) from the camouflage(gods) ones.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by qstar(m): 12:13am On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:

"Christianity"

Your God-gamble is now restricted. You have already chosen one-god as genuine and supreme. Why have you chosen the true god to be Yahweh/Jesus and not Amadioha, Allah, Sango, Amun, or Krishna?

am sure you know that today there are numerous organizations in our day that go by the name "religion", some of these organization are demonic cults,

Here, stop making spurious statements that you cannot substantiate. This is no Nollywood. Have you seen a demon before?

2 Likes

Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 12:25am On Aug 15, 2014
qstar:

Your God-gamble is now restricted. You have already chosen one-god as genuine and supreme. Why have you chosen the true god to be Yahweh/Jesus and not Amadioha, Allah, Sango, Amun, or Krishna?

funny.

A leader of a religion must be a holy man, whose personal life is exemplary, morally outstanding, with an impeccable character, a life worth emulating, a man that is not pre-occupied by the acquisition of money.

Here, stop making spurious statements that you cannot substantiate. This is no Nollywood. Have you seen a demon before?

stop been deluded, you cant see spiritual things you can only perceive them. If i may ask you do you believe in demon?
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by qstar(m): 12:37am On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:

funny.

A leader of a religion must be a holy man, whose personal life is exemplary, morally outstanding, with an impeccable character, a life worth emulating, a man that is not pre-occupied by the acquisition of money.

Does Yahweh live an examplary lifestyle?

Have you read of Krishna, Nelson Mandela, Buddha and/or Mahatma Ghandi?

stop been deluded, you cant see spiritual things you can only perceive them. If i may ask you do you believe in demon?

You're just picking up words randomly.
I do not believe in imaginary, failure-excuse-channels that are only found in the folklores of primitive men.

You say you perceive "spiritual things", please, perceive "an angel" or "demon" and describe to me.

1 Like

Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 12:56am On Aug 15, 2014
qstar:

Does Yahweh live an examplary lifestyle?

Have you read of Krishna, Nelson Mandela, Buddha and/or Mahatma Ghandi?

You're just picking up words randomly.
I do not believe in imaginary, failure-excuse-channels that are only found in the folklores of primitive men.

You say you perceive "spiritual things", please, perceive "an angel" or "demon" and describe to me.

i dont need to exchange chat with you anymore, I pray you see the truth and not remain in your delusion and self deceit.

Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by qstar(m): 1:02am On Aug 15, 2014

I pray you see the truth and not remain in your delusion and self deceit.

The wish is mutual bro. I also pray for you.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 1:07am On Aug 15, 2014
qstar:

The wish is mutual bro. I also pray for you.

you need to read the OP again and think of who needs prayer most.

Pax vobiscum
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by qstar(m): 1:10am On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:

you need to read the OP again and think of who needs prayer most.

Your OP is no new knowledge. Pascal's wager is quite old. Maybe, you're just beginning to read.

1 Like

Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 1:13am On Aug 15, 2014
qstar:

Your OP is no new knowledge. Paschal wager is quite old. Maybe, you're just beginning to read.

you read new meaning to old things the more you study, because i first saw this in 2006.

Maybe you only read for reading sake.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by qstar(m): 1:21am On Aug 15, 2014
Fynestboi:
You read new meaning to old things the more you study, because i first saw this in 2006.
Maybe you only read for reading sake.

2006 is relatively quite recent. The wager-theory was propounded in the 17th century.

Pascal's wager doesn't hold any water. It is simply a system of feigning belief in a god, just in case.

If this god was really omniscient, he would still see through this ruse.

1 Like

Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 1:38am On Aug 15, 2014
qstar:

2006 is relatively quite recent. The wager-theory was propounded in the 17th century.

Pascal's wager doesn't hold any water. It is simply a system of feigning belief in a god, just in case.

If this god was really omniscient, he would still see through this feign.

continue to wallop in you self deceit.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by qstar(m): 1:40am On Aug 15, 2014
Okay. Thanks.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
This is an easily dismissable point.

1.) you must worship God in spirit and in truth.
So even if you 'pseudo-believe' in God just for the chance that he might be real, you will be punished as well. you can't fool him as he created your brain and he knows your reason for worshipping.

2.) your point would have been almost sensible if there was just one religion and one G(g)od to either believe in or not. But there are many G(g)ods, who allegedly created the Universe, right from the coçk and bull folk tales to Budhism, Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. The followers believe that their deities are the ones truly responsible for the existence of the Universe, and any religion defferent from his theirs, is doomed.
So which is the one metting out the punishment

I hope you can now understand why that wager does not hold ground. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 10:30pm On Aug 15, 2014
Swagalord18: This is an easily dismissable point.

1.) you must worship God in spirit and in truth.
So even if you 'pseudo-believe' in God just for the chance that he might be real, you will be punished as well. you can't fool him as he created your brain and he knows your reason for worshipping.

2.) your point would have been almost sensible if there was just one religion and one G(g)od to either believe in or not. But there are many G(g)ods, who allegedly created the Universe, right from the coçk and bull folk tales to Budhism, Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. The followers believe that their deities are the ones truly responsible for the existence of the Universe, and any religion defferent from his theirs, is doomed.
So which is the one metting out the punishment

I hope you can now understand why that wager does not hold ground. smiley

only one god is with capital letter G, others are small letter. Get you fact right.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Toyolad(m): 10:43pm On Aug 15, 2014
We should worship in spirit and in truth.

He knows our hearts,He knows the motive behind every of our actions.

In short,we can't deceive Him with our gamble about His existence.

Conclusively,why can't we just be strong and firm enough to stand by our decision/conclusion that He does or doesn't exist..I feel those who follow this theory are weaklings who are scared of making a firm stand on what to believe for fear of being wrong at the end.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 11:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
Toyolad: We should worship in spirit and in truth.

He knows our hearts,He knows the motive behind every of our actions.

In short,we can't deceive Him with our gamble about His existence.

Conclusively,why can't we just be strong and firm enough to stand by our decision/conclusion that He does or doesn't exist..I feel those who follow this theory are weaklings who are scared of making a firm stand on what to believe for fear of being wrong at the end.

that wage is applicable to atheist mostly!

At first you have to make them swerve their belief before this you post, thats what this is for and not for jumping the bridge.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Nobody: 12:29am On Aug 16, 2014
Oh, Pascals Wager..

It's a logical fallacy.

It assumes only two options:

1) the Judeo-Christian God
2) Atheism

We all know there are wayyyy more options out there!

Besides that, it paints the picture of an 'omnipotent' deity who's too stewpid to realize that you're believing just in case.

Edit: I guess my points have already been addressed by others
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Nobody: 1:10am On Aug 16, 2014
Fynestboi:

only one god is with capital letter G, others are small letter. Get you fact right.
if you're referring to God, then read my first point smiley.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Toyolad(m): 7:56am On Aug 16, 2014
Fynestboi:

that wage is applicable to atheist mostly!

At first you have to make them swerve their belief before this you post, thats what this is for and not for jumping the bridge.
anyway,I think its for agnostic more cos a strong atheist will tell you there's no God nd noting will happen at d end.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by frank317: 10:13am On Aug 16, 2014
So is the wager for muslims and pagans too? Or just christians alone?

Muslims believe in God too so are they exempted? Have they made the right choice?
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by qstar(m): 1:53pm On Aug 16, 2014
frank317: So is the wager for muslims and pagans too? Or just christians alone?

Muslims believe in God too so are they exempted? Have they made the right choice?

The wager is so childish that it assumes that belief in god, only, is enough.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 3:02pm On Aug 16, 2014
frank317: So is the wager for muslims and pagans too? Or just christians alone?

the wager is talking about just one GOD. whichever way you want to put it just at first believe in the existence of God!
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 3:05pm On Aug 16, 2014
qstar:

The wager is so childish that it assumes that belief in god, only, is enough.

Childish to you coz you find it hard to comprehend. So you thought the wager assumes and not set a foundation for you to believe in God as you first priority(comes first)

so its really gonna be that way to you.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 16, 2014
I believe in God. I have many things to lose here on earth as i try to live by his statutes and something to Gain in heaven because i know he sure exist.

In a nutshell..

If you Truly believe in God, you lose here on earth and Gain in heaven because God exists.

Hence, believing just in case does not hold water, God will be sure laughing you. You can only be said to believe when you act and make necessary sacrifices as a believer.
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by koolnd: 11:32am On Aug 17, 2014
Human:The development of metaphysical idealism by such philosophers as Fichte, Schelling and Hegel was taken to be a great fault by Jakob Friedrich Fries (1773-1843). He was of the opinion that philosophical trend ought to have continued in the Kantian tradition

http://www.scharticles.com/meaning-human-existence-soren-kierkegaard/
Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 8:42pm On Aug 17, 2014
Joannes347: I believe in God. I have many things to lose here on earth as i try to live by his statutes and something to Gain in heaven because i know he sure exist.

In a nutshell..

If you Truly believe in God, you lose here on earth and Gain in heaven because God exists.

Hence, believing just in case does not hold water, God will be sure laughing you. You can only be said to believe when you act and make necessary sacrifices as a believer.

Sage!

1 Like

Re: Perhaps God Exists, Perhaps He Does Not Exist by Fynestboi: 8:43pm On Aug 17, 2014
koolnd: Human:The development of metaphysical idealism by such philosophers as Fichte, Schelling and Hegel was taken to be a great fault by Jakob Friedrich Fries (1773-1843). He was of the opinion that philosophical trend ought to have continued in the Kantian tradition

http://www.scharticles.com/meaning-human-existence-soren-kierkegaard/

how does this correlate with the topic? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Heavenly Ascension And Jewish Mysticism / Does It Matter If A Married Couple Attend Different Churches? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.