Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,767 members, 7,809,956 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota (7697 Views)

Obasanjo With His Bicycle Near His Farm In Ota (Throwback Photo) / Buhari Receives Giant Birthday Card From His Aides (Photos) / EBOLA: Health Workers Flee At General Hospital In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Jakumo(m): 10:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
WoodcrestMayor: If a snake"s venom can kill a man in 20 secs,I wonder how many hours it'll take to kill a rat undecided

The rat is usually dead by the time the snake withdraws its fangs after striking with a bite. Time : 1 second.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by ZACHIE: 10:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
Jakumo: It is a green mamba, whose venom kills just twenty seconds after the victim is bitten, from multiple internal organ failure and massive internal bleeding, MUCH faster than even the deadly Ebola fever.

JAkumo must be mixing the green mamba with the Green Tree Mamba.
The former is a large arboreal snake while the latter is a thin snake, but deathly efficient.
The Green Tree Mamba venom is as potent as the Taipan,s, almost. Even at that, a full sized healthy adult still can survive their stings for up to 20minutes though you would have wished for death within the same time.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Jakumo(m): 10:41pm On Aug 15, 2014
ZACHIE:

JAkumo must be mixing the green mamba with the Green Tree Mamba.
The former is a large arboreal snake while the latter is a thin snake, but deathly efficient.
The Green Tree Mamba venom is as potent as the Taipan,s, almost. Even at that, a full sized healthy adult still can survive their stings for up to 20minutes though you would have wished for death within the same time.

A brave writer here has promised to test the bite of a green mamba on himself, and to record the time it takes for him to lose consciousness after the bite. Let us be patient and await his published results.

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by deeobserver209(m): 11:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
The irony of it all is that while the workers are trying hard not to get infected with Ebola from the snake, the snake is trying hard to avoid being killed by the workers.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by WoodcrestMayor(m): 11:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
Lieszzzz grin
Jakumo:

The rat is usually dead by the time the snake withdraws its fangs after striking with a bite. Time : 1 second.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by raphy(m): 12:05am On Aug 16, 2014
Two people are figthing because of snake .the snake eaters lol
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Jakumo(m): 12:10am On Aug 16, 2014
raphy: Two people are figthing because of snake .the snake eaters lol

Yes indeed, the Mayor and myself settled this matter with some vigorous fisticuffs at the beer parlor, where I was able to subdue him with a repertoire of GongFu techniques. The Mayor will issue a statement when he recovers enough to emerge from the hospital where his reconstructive surgery was performed.

I no dey take snake matter play at all.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 16, 2014
Jakumo:

A brave writer here has promised to test the bite of a green mamba on himself, and to record the time it takes for him to lose consciousness after the bite. Let us be patient and await his published results.

Jakumo you seem to be overrating green mambas.
In Nigeria I killed many green mambas. I believe they are one of the most scared and frightened of the snake specie.

I remember a day I chased one on my way back from lesson. I chased it with stones and it ran but escaped narrowly.

As per the venom toxicity, I'll check that on wiki (may be true. I've seen a mamba bit a lizard before and in a minute, lizard was motionless). . .

but talking about mambas facing an attacker is false. The only specie that did ever face me for a fight was a cobra. All others ran!

The only thing I give to mambas is speed. They are as fast as a bolt of lightening.

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Jakumo(m): 1:09am On Aug 16, 2014
breezy047:

Jakumo you seem to be overrating green mambas.
In Nigeria I killed many green mambas. I believe they are one of the most scared and frightened of the snake specie.

I remember a day I chased one on my way back from lesson. I chased it with stones and it ran but escaped narrowly.

As per the venom toxicity, I'll check that on wiki (may be true. I've seen a mamba bit a lizard before and in a minute, lizard was motionless). . .

but talking about mambas facing an attacker is false. The only specie that did ever face me for a fight was a cobra. All others ran!

The only thing I give to mambas is speed. They are as fast as a bolt of lightening.

There are quite a few green tree snakes that could easily be mistaken for the fabled green mamba, Breezy, but the dark circles around the scales and the gradual increase in that black coloration towards the tail, whose last six inches are jet black, is seen on no other green snake besides the green mamba.

Unlike your brave self, I would never dream of trying to kill a green mamba with a stick or machete, since it is fast enough on the strike to hit me half a dozen times before my first blow could land. Rather than just pass by and let them go, however, I have a policy of shooting green mambas on sight because of concerns that they could spot me first on the next encounter. On a couple of occasions when my aim was off with the first shot, the green mambas did move aggressively towards me before I dispatched them with the follow-up shot, so I would classify them as dangerous in that regard.

I agree with you on the speed of the mamba. Blink and you miss it, for sure.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by blacksta(m): 3:56am On Aug 16, 2014
Jakumo

Do you hold firearm licence in Nigeria? Oya lie grin
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Jakumo(m): 6:47am On Aug 16, 2014
blacksta: Jakumo

Do you hold firearm licence in Nigeria? Oya lie grin

I use a traditional Shaka-Gbula, "local made" gun whose license is that the blood of a freshly killed dog must be splashed on the barrel every 7th full moon, in order to appease Ogun, the God of Iron, who will in turn bless the Shaka-Gbula to bring good harvests.

3 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by clemzo101(m): 7:04am On Aug 16, 2014
Jakumo:

I use a traditional Shaka-Gbula, "local made" gun whose license is that the blood of a freshly killed dog must be splashed on the barrel every 7th full moon, in order to appease Ogun, the God of Iron, who will in turn bless the Shaka-Gbula to bring good harvests.
guy I dey feel u aswear.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by clemzo101(m): 7:08am On Aug 16, 2014
@Jakumo is either a hunter or a comdian.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by shift15(m): 7:30am On Aug 16, 2014
I wish every thread on NL can be like this one.
Lots of mofos on NL these days.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by ZACHIE: 7:33am On Aug 16, 2014
Jakumo:

Ogun bless you on this.
The forest can be a lonely place.
In there, exegerations of self worth is certainly not out of place.
A llizard like Agilinti can quickly transmogrify into
a Komodo Dragon...
Jakumo, I hail o.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Jakumo(m): 7:46am On Aug 16, 2014
ZACHIE:
Ogun bless you on this.
The forest can be a lonely place.
In there, exegerations of self worth is certainly not out of place.
A llizard like Agilinti can quickly transmogrify into
a Komodo Dragon...
Jakumo, I hail o.

Ha ha ha AGILINTI the Agama Lizard who aspires to be a Komodo.

Even the name "Agilinti" brings to mind a small muffuguh with a bird chest, who speaks with a DEEP voice and shakes the trees when approaching, in order to frighten enemies of frogress.

Agilinti ha ha ha Just the name makes me laugh, for some reason.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by funshint(m): 7:49am On Aug 16, 2014
Can someone identify this snake I killed recently?
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by JAGBAJANTIS(m): 8:02am On Aug 16, 2014
Jakumo:

Even the name "Agilinti" brings to mind a small muffuguh with a bird chest, who speaks with a DEEP voice and shakes the trees when approaching, in order to frighten enemies of frogress.

have u encountered any spirit 'iwin' in your travails in d forest?
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by asadike(f): 8:07am On Aug 16, 2014
Thk u everyone,i rily enjoyd dis thread. If mambas are dat fast, na him b say na mamba for bite me and one litle boy who loves folowin me around, thk God o abi wetin i for tel him parent? Av always wonder wot type of snake it was,very fast and in d east here. I got to know dat 2day. Thk u every1.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by wordsplay(m): 8:48am On Aug 16, 2014
inform any graduate or student you know to go online and register here http://tan.org.ng/onestar/register.php?id=100208 .If successfully selected, the government will be paying them N30,000 monthly for 1year. Companies, organizations and institutions can also register and interns will be sent to them, while government pays the interns N30,000. Please spread the news: See it as an Income/Job opportunity.let's give it a try by registering
Transformation Ambassadors of Nigeria | One Star Ambassador
tan.org.ng
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by ZACHIE: 9:13am On Aug 16, 2014
Ore mi Jakumo,
It is that we have that we make as formidable shield of armor remembering that Dada may be lily livered but he has a younger brother who is a
Van Damme.
You say the tortoise is slow and defenseless but can you crack its shell?
Oolowo, oologun, oolenu
Ha, your expiracy days are nearer the grave than the hospice.

Jakumo, oni owo, oni oogun, otun wa ni emu
Wa pe loke erupe

Jakumo:

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by dwilliams: 10:15am On Aug 16, 2014
I must book space o
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Jakumo(m): 10:50am On Aug 16, 2014
ZACHIE: Ore mi Jakumo,
It is that we have that we make as formidable shield of armor remembering that Dada may be lily livered but he has a younger brother who is a
Van Damme.
You say the tortoise is slow and defenseless but can you crack its shell?
Oolowo, oologun, oolenu
Ha, your expiracy days are nearer the grave than the hospice.

Jakumo, oni owo, oni oogun, otun wa ni emu
Wa pe loke erupe

I had to scramble for my Encyclopedia of Advanced Nigerian Parables, in order to read up on the Riddle of the Tortoise, invoked by Zachie above.

Taking to heart the Igbo proverb which reminds us that only a patient man can cook a stone until it is really ready to serve as a meal, and that one cannot ascertain by inspection alone, which of the many lizards lying flat in the afternoon sun might in fact be suffering from heart-burn, it became apparent to me that there must ALWAYS be a compelling reason why the nocturnal bush rat would be seen walking about furtively in the daytime.

Crossing the Big River to the land of China, where ancient parables advise that it is not prudent to climb a tree in search of fish, and that when one's face is swollen from a beating, it is best to smile and pretend to be a fat man, it is reassuring to recall that the path to avoiding that fate lies in the saying that an angry fist is seldom ever aimed at a smiling face.

With the above preamble now complete, It is my distinct pleasure and honor to hereby induct Ogboju-Ode Zachei III of Modakeke, Ile Ife into the hallowed realm of the Igbo-Olodumare Traditional Hunter's Secret Society, Nigerian Chapter.

Accordingly Zachie is bestowed with ALL rights and privileges of membership therein.

All rise.

For the closing ceremonies for this august occasion, payment will of course be expected up front to cover the normal sacrificial items of two white rams, obi-abata kola-nuts, palm-oil, a case of Schnapps, local chickens, a white cloth and state tax. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

3 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 16, 2014
Jakumo:

There are quite a few green tree snakes that could easily be mistaken for the fabled green mamba, Breezy, but the dark circles around the scales and the gradual increase in that black coloration towards the tail, whose last six inches are jet black, is seen on no other green snake besides the green mamba.

Unlike your brave self, I would never dream of trying to kill a green mamba with a stick or machete, since it is fast enough on the strike to hit me half a dozen times before my first blow could land. Rather than just pass by and let them go, however, I have a policy of shooting green mambas on sight because of concerns that they could spot me first on the next encounter. On a couple of occasions when my aim was off with the first shot, the green mambas did move aggressively towards me before I dispatched them with the follow-up shot, so I would classify them as dangerous in that regard.

I agree with you on the speed of the mamba. Blink and you miss it, for sure.

Wow. Thanks Jakumo for the info.

I must be very lucky then. Most of the frightened snakes I chased and killed were pure bright green. No dark or yellow pattern.

What would I have done against a fast-approaching deadly snake with only stones and sticks in hand? I'll be careful on my next visits.

Besides you remember the city of birds (ilu eye) in D.O Fagunwa's novel: Forest of a thousand demons, where the birds checked a human visitor's life history.
If it was discovered that he had ever killed a bird in his life, he would be locked up and killed.

Bro if you come across city of snakes, run the other way as fast as possible cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by ZACHIE: 11:30am On Aug 16, 2014
Eshe modupe.
Ope mi po.
May Edumare bless,Obatala honor you and Igba Irunmole support you.
Ijakumo, Ijakumo oo..Ijakumo ooo...It is the great one I am calling.
Ogun a degbo de o
Eku idagbe ooo
Hmmm
Ijakumo ki rin losan,eni a biire ki rin loru.

Jakumo, you are born right, you do not have to be born again.

As for the initiation kits, I have gone to Orita Oja.
I have talked to Iya Mulika. She has it all. And as luck will have it, the alert from Overseas just came in.
But please, let's leave this thread to a more deserving one.
We are helping to give life to an advert.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Youngzedd(m): 12:04pm On Aug 16, 2014
The way bloggers cook up stories this days.

Look at the said building and take a closer look at the surrounding of other pictures and tell me what you notice.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Jakumo(m): 12:07pm On Aug 16, 2014
Youngzedd: The way bloggers cook up stories this days.

Look at the said building and take a closer look at the surrounding of other pictures and tell me what you notice.

Hey, as the failed tailor would say "Never mind the fit, and just feel the fabric."
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Fxwarrior: 1:53pm On Aug 16, 2014
Jakumo:

The green mamba has a very distinctive color pattern, which is clear in the photograph. The last 6-inches or so of the tail is pure black in color, and the rest of the body ranges from deep green to yellowish green, with black scale patterns clearly evident in the photograph above.

Having shot a number of green mambas, I have examined them very closely, and I can also attest that they are the ONLY species of snake that will NOT flee when shot at, but will rather rush TOWARDS anyone who misses with the first shot.

grin How did you react when they rushed at you?
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 16, 2014
Haba, this can't be a green mamba, this is what the green mamba looks like:

and this is the black mamba:

Both species do not reside in Nigeria.
Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by Omojayejaye(m): 2:39pm On Aug 16, 2014
Smh....

Re: PHOTO: Site Workers Flee Giant 'ebola Snake' In Ota by merieam16(f): 3:27pm On Aug 16, 2014
Can't just stop laffin, which 1 is ebola snake again....nawa oo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Federal Warplanes Bomb Residential Streets In Breakaway Biafra / Yes Nigeria Has What It Takes To Protect Her Airspace(pix) / We Did Not Ban Export Of Nigeria’s Agric Products – EU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.