Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,615 members, 7,820,181 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? (26658 Views)

Culture Shock. Caption This Photo. / Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Have You Ever Experienced Tyre Burst When Carrying Mortar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Enouwem(m): 8:29am On Aug 16, 2014
hugelyendowed: Mod front page things o i have experienced cultural shok b4. in akwa ibom, if u r up to 20 years or more as a girl and u neva born, they wil b laughing at u
in ur dreams??

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by UjSizzle(f): 8:30am On Aug 16, 2014
aminho: * The one I experienced today as I travelled from East to North, we got to outskirt of Kaduna, I saw one guy bend down, I was wondering what he was doing , I felt he was defecating, but I was wrong, he was urinating bending down like women. I saw another boy do same. I called my would be host to narrate what I saw and I was told it's their way. I have never seen such before. It was a culture shock to me.

the guy bending down It has to do with *CLEANLINESS* and exposing *'unclothedness* (which for a man is considered anything from the belly-button down to the knees)

Urine is impure..it is dirty..it nullifies ablution..and even if a drop of it gets on our clothes..we need to change them..or wash them..otherwise we cannot pray in them..or perform acts of worship such as read Qura'an..also..exposing the 'awrah is considered a sin in Islam..and the way some urinate exposes their 'awrah...I do not need to go into much detail..but I am sure you know what I mean..
What a nice culture cheesy
I see the Muslims in Lagos pee like that with a small kettle of water, figured it was an Islamic thing too but never quite understood it.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by DamieJos(m): 8:33am On Aug 16, 2014
So interesting. Never knew some of these truly happens. Bigup to all of you guys.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by yinkuscious(m): 8:34am On Aug 16, 2014
The culture shock I experienced was Ijare, Ondo state, when they are doing there festival... I saw everybody beating themselves with a thick nd long cane. They call it 'jopa' (take cane). The most surprising thing was that even the old men were beaten by the young guys. Even there king also came around to the village square to jopa... Nobody was excluded. Flogging themselves mercilessly.. Na God save me that day

11 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by CodeHouse: 8:36am On Aug 16, 2014
Mods how come this thread is appearing twice on Front Page, abeg make una no conFUSE us joor
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by YoungDaNaval(m): 8:38am On Aug 16, 2014
Ceasar1: Nice thread, Lemme upload mine.
Upload?

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by eldav(m): 8:40am On Aug 16, 2014
Travelling for the first time to the north,we decided to stop at enugu to eat before continuing. I went into a restaurant together with other passengers.

I sat down at a table and a northern woman sat across me. We both made our orders and they were brought. I had already started eating mine when this woman emptied her entire soup(draw soup) on her eba. I was taken aback. I was like,'why is this woman spoiing her food?' I watched her for some seconds as she ate the mixed stuff,twas kinda weird. Cultures differ indeed.

6 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by prophetone(m): 8:41am On Aug 16, 2014
lalasticlala: another one, I just discovered that there are very few storey buildings here in Kaduna, unlike in the East where storey buildings are the other of the day. in fact it's as if they are in competition to build storey buildings ooo in the east.

Storey buildings are necessary where there is scarcity of land, or land has to be utilized to its maximum value. In the North, the sheer land mass available makes it cheap. Consequently, you have a more of an occurrence of huge complexes as opposed to storey buildings. The lack of good Land in the East as a result tiny land mass and the scourge of erosion must be the reasons for the maximization of what is available.

Having said that, there are dozens of storey buildings dotting the Kaduna skyline and that of other cities. I don't know what part of Kaduna you live, or what your objectives are with this propaganda.

9 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by CodeHouse: 8:45am On Aug 16, 2014
YoungDaNaval: Choi! Where in Benue state?

Na Idoma be that, 2Face town for Benue State

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by saintneo(m): 8:46am On Aug 16, 2014
Back 2009, I went for an interview for part-time job in a remote location in UK. The bus rode for about 3hours, when I arrived, all the people around looked at me like I was a black Santa Claus.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 16, 2014
i could remember a day i saw my friend from Ikare-akoko in Ondo state eating a grasshopper...... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked>>>>>>>>>zozozozshocking

AND

D day i was given a Mouth Action by a yoruba gal grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

now dont criticize me its just a shock
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by onuwaje(m): 8:57am On Aug 16, 2014
Well let me start
Rivers state
1.the ikwerre people don have s*x on the floor
2.some part of ikwerre (ogbogoro,rumuosi) dont allow female dogs to roam the street. It is forbidden
3. Theres no red corn in rivers(dont knw why)

Bayelsa
A friend of mine from nembe told me that a stranger does not and is not allowed to ask for pillow because it will tuurn to a snake

Delta
U don whistle at night(so u dont call the spirits) think its common with the itsekiri's and urhobo's

Its hard to find any culture shock with delta people cos I am from there.. so those that have found out our culture shock shud pls enlighten me

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by todayguest(m): 8:59am On Aug 16, 2014
My shock most times are the tribal marks on some peoples face. One would begin to imagine, the designs patterns, the mean artist, the size of scar, heartless parents, loss of blood, pains and cries of the hapless child. And how it had disfigured some pretty faces.

10 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Ahmeduana(m): 9:01am On Aug 16, 2014
[quote author=MizMyColi]
[font=Georgia]
Where I live, their indigenes, when it comes to feeding can be so lavish on Meat! Chizos!!! shocked
Imagine a plate of 50 naira rice with 2kpomo, 2Ishan, 1Eyin, and 2Beef
LADYGIRL, BEWARE OF DAT RITUAL OF A FOOD!
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by oluamid(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2014
My culture shock was during my service year in Nasarawa state ( I taught). During one of my classes, I asked a JSS2 female student of about 12-13 years what she will like to be in future and her response was:

"I want to get married".

To say that I was shocked that day would be an understatement. My jaw was literally on the floor. Lol. It turned out that girls marry early in the state (esp the muslim population), because 90 percent of the girls in that class got married before I left including the girl I just talked about.

Another culture shock was seeing girls as young as 2 years and above in Lafia applying heavy makeup.

Another would be the amount of yams you can get for as low as #500 around september and october. Yams that you won't get for less than #3000 in Lagos at any period is what goes for around #500 during that period.

Another culture shock would be getting to know that there's no indigenous Hausa person from Nasarawa state though the widely spoken language in the state is Hausa (Hausa is the lingua franca).

Damn, I love that state. Serene, friendly and peace loving people. Its my adopted state of origin.

6 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 16, 2014
SMALLPENIS:

OP nyash go de smell die grin

As in. I don't understand at all. I thought everybody uses water to wash nyash after shitting.

6 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 16, 2014
[color=#000099][/color]
hugelyendowed: Mod front page things o i have experienced cultural shok b4. in akwa ibom, if u r up to 20 years or more as a girl and u neva born, they wil b laughing at u

Same thin in Akampka cross river state.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by onila(f): 9:18am On Aug 16, 2014
meeting yoruba girls

never met girls so rude

7 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by GreenBobo: 9:23am On Aug 16, 2014
Omexonomy: Their is this people from benue state who are having a very funny culture. A man who is a member of the family is alow to have s.ex with all other females being married into the family. To them a woman is being married into a family and not neccesary the property of the man only. A man can use his wife to entertain his visitors or brother
Oga kindly tell us where (as precise as possible ) in Benue state or hold ur peace!
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Ahmeduana(m): 9:24am On Aug 16, 2014
donigspain: Old TIV culture but no longer in practice.
-Kwande LGA
-Vandeikya LGA
-Katsina-Ala LGA

*I served in TIV Land*
HOW MANY TIMES WERE YOU ENTERTAINED IN SUCH WAY?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 16, 2014
lalasticlala:

hahahahahahaha

noooooo!!!!!!

just that in the Eastern part of Nigeria, they don't do it that way, they use tissue

If ii hear say Ibo boys no dey use water wash nyansh,clearly u be ajebo.no be even ajebo matter sef .sure say na naija u dey abi miami?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 16, 2014
In new guinea where relatives don't Burry their dead They smoked them.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 16, 2014
[size=13pt]Was in a public bus in yobe wen all of a sudden it stopped and everyone got down, keaving me alone, i discovrd tey went to pray, without even communicating.

Ladan musari village in yobe, all the women remove their slippers and hold it before greeeting me.

Kukareta village, the king gave us a feast if local spagetti, insude a tray, about 10 of us ate from it, plus we wetr meant to leave remnant of spag for the almanjari boys lurking around us like hyenas,

Extremely unkept almanjari boys, ive never seen a human more unkept in my life, its ridiculous.

I got to find out that hausas are the most honest pple ive met, contrary to wat i was told before leaving.

Northerners youths consume drugs well, considering how rigid thrir religion is.

To be continued....

[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by gbafched: 9:31am On Aug 16, 2014
I was shocked when I saw a woman kneeling down to give food to her husband and remaining on her knees till the man is done eating in a village in Edu L G A of Kwara State
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 9:34am On Aug 16, 2014
prophetone:

Storey buildings are necessary where there is scarcity of land, or land had to be utilized to its maximum value. In the north, the sheer land mass available makes it cheap. Consequently, you have a more of a occurrence of huge complexes as opposed to storey buildings. The lack of good Land in the East as a result tiny land mass and the scourge of erosion must be the reasons for the maximization of what is available.

Having said that, there are dozens of storey buildings dotting the Kaduna skyline and that of other cities. I don't know what part of Kaduna you live, or what your objectives are with this propaganda.
just an observation. no propaganda. i hav obserued that roads here, north are in better conditions than thoz in d east.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Stephen344(m): 9:36am On Aug 16, 2014
In United states of America, the class informal culture shook me a lot. You call the teacher by there names without respect.

Language barrier, fashion and food was problematic.even the way you relate to friends is Quite funny. Men!!! Should I mention weather and religion? E no easy

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 16, 2014
onila: meeting yoruba girls

never met girls so rude

That is not their culture....... undecided

13 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Ahmeduana(m): 9:38am On Aug 16, 2014

never met girls so rude
AND YOU ARE WHAT? TANGALE? UHNNN? PROBABLY U AN AGATU! 4 ur information is a b@$t@rd d@ points his or her fathers house wit left hand! AM PROUDLY YORUBA IN AND OUT.

9 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Mustay(m): 9:40am On Aug 16, 2014
chrisbaba1:
~ Was in a public bus in yobe wen all of a sudden it stopped and everyone got down, keaving me alone, i discovrd tey went to pray, without even communicating.

~ I got to find out that hausas are the [b]most honest pple [/b]ive met, contrary to wat i was told before leaving.

~ Northerners [b]youths consume drugs [/b]well, considering how rigid their religion is.

¬ Lol, na only you waka come grin The call to prayer hardly goes to the Missed Calls bar cheesy

¬ The second quote was common to us in many parts of the country until certain influences. . . undecided

¬ The 3rd quote just shows how people tend to mix the behavior/culture of Northerners with Islam. There is a large influence of Islam in their behaviors but the latter does not necessarily stem from the former wink Just remembered one dude who told me he was surprised prostitution existed despite the conservatism et al. . . I don't even wanna go there wink

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by oluamid(m): 9:41am On Aug 16, 2014

never met girls so rude

The correct thing to say would have been "some yoruba girls". Except you've met all Yoruba girls - which I doubt -, your post could be easily misinterpreted as tribalist.

7 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by camiflexie: 9:51am On Aug 16, 2014
hugelyendowed: mynd44, obinoscopy, pls who are the moderators of this session? I think this is an interesting topic that needs front page, thanks.

at topic, I was shocked when someone told me that in a part of Rivers state , when a male visitor comes to c a family, that the host would give out his wife to the visitor as a form of welcoming him, he will ask the man(visitor) to sleep with his wife .

I found that strange and shocking. someone can equally use this medium to correct this impression if its a hoax, somebody from that region should enlighten us some more pls.

OP, what happens if a stranger kills the snakes?
hugelyendowed: mynd44, obinoscopy, pls who are the moderators of this session? I think this is an interesting topic that needs front page, thanks.

at topic, I was shocked when someone told me that in a part of Rivers state , when a male visitor comes to c a family, that the host would give out his wife to the visitor as a form of welcoming him, he will ask the man(visitor) to sleep with his wife .

I found that strange and shocking. someone can equally use this medium to correct this impression if its a hoax, somebody from that region should enlighten us some more pls.

Am from Rivers state I haven't heard of such things or maybe u just have to specify the exact place in the state

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 16, 2014
Mine was wen I travelled to somewere in d east(won't mention) wearing shorts is normal here in lag nd I wasn't told dat its a taboo dere. Hehehehehehe u nid to c how I was beaten I don't want to state d details. Till date I can't near dere. Tho d elders apologised to me nd my friend who was an indigene but d ordeal still scares me anytime I rem

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pictures Of Four Oduduwa Monuments In Different Cities / Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Herbs And Spiritual ( Solutions To Life Issues) Youtube Spirituality Teaching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.