Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,655 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? (26608 Views)

Culture Shock. Caption This Photo. / Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Have You Ever Experienced Tyre Burst When Carrying Mortar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Sylverbox(m): 3:34pm On Aug 16, 2014
lalasticlala:

Ya, Igbos are everywhere o
my brother, I shock O°˚˚˚ I no go lie you!
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Enahi(f): 3:57pm On Aug 16, 2014
OBIORAA: One I also experience is in idemili in Anambra state. Where it is not allowed to kill pythons. If you do you will burry the python as you will burry a title holder.
Its true o,I don't know why? Its very strange and some of them can be very dirty eh.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 16, 2014
ChristyG: that because u are mean and rude b.itc.hy girl urself,so u keep meeting ur kind.all these ur meaningless stories about yoruba girls is getting very stale.u are beginning to sound like a broken record
A Yoruba girl must have snatched her boyfriend... Just ignore the lunatic.

4 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

My own goes thus:

Where I live, their indigenes, when it comes to feeding can be so lavish on Meat! Chizos!!! shocked

Imagine a plate of 50 naira rice with 2kpomo, 2Ishan, 1Eyin, and 2Beef shocked shocked shocked

For 50 naira rice!!!
you sure say no be jaki (donkey) meat ant vulture egg? The world is a wicked place!
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by MizMyColi(f): 4:52pm On Aug 16, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: you sure say no be jaki (donkey) meat ant vulture egg? The world is a wicked place!

grin
KhiorKhiorKhiorKhi

cheesy
cheesy
cheesy
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by emenik08: 4:54pm On Aug 16, 2014
[quote author=PAGAN9JA][/quote]
I beg to defer. Any normal n sane person will use tissue n after if he or she wants, the person can go n bath.
Plz i dnt want us to start arguing who is right or wrong cos it will derail d title of the thread. thanks
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 16, 2014
hugelyendowed: mynd44, obinoscopy, pls who are the moderators of this session? I think this is an interesting topic that needs front page, thanks.

at topic, I was shocked when someone told me that in a part of Rivers state , when a male visitor comes to c a family, that the host would give out his wife to the visitor as a form of welcoming him, he will ask the man(visitor) to sleep with his wife .

I found that strange and shocking. someone can equally use this medium to correct this impression if its a hoax, somebody from that region should enlighten us some more pls.

OP, what happens if a stranger kills the snakes?
its in Tiv land (benue state) in the olden days that offering ones wife/wives to a male visitor was prevalent. It was a welcome gesture.
In Nembe, Brass, Okpo Ama and neighbouring islands of bayelsa and rivers states, when a snake (water or land python) is killed you will bury it like a normal human being and perform some rituals to appease their deity.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by ChristyG(f): 5:02pm On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08:
I beg to defer. Any normal n sane person will use tissue n after if he or she wants, the person can go n bath.
Plz i dnt want us to start arguing who is right or wrong cos it will derail d title of the thread. thanks
so dose who dont use tissue but water are abnormal and not sane abi?just because others dont do wat u ibo folks do doesnt make dem abnormal.different strokes for different folks,u dont ave to insult others,it doesnt make u any better

6 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:05pm On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08:
[s]Plz i dnt want us to start arguing who is right or wrong cos it will derail d title of the thread.[/s] thanks

so if she doesnt want, the shyt will be stuck up there for the entire day and soil his underpant and emanate a stink.

and if she wants to bathe, all the shyt stuck up there will run down ova your legs and in your bath.

Disgusting. lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
nikkypearl: Mine was the first time I saw a Calabar friend eating what she called "Yam Pepper Soup" shocked
I thought we only have fish and meat pepper souP!
it is common in some parts of Igbo land, and the south-south areas. There is plantain pepper soup and its a delicacy in some parts of delta state. The igbo's (Abia and Imo) call it Ji mmiri Oku. The Ukwuani people (delta state) call it Otto. The Urhobo/Isoko's (delta state) call it Ukodo or so.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Fulaman198(m): 5:07pm On Aug 16, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

so if she doesnt want, the shyt will be stuck up there for the entire day and soil his underpant and emanate a stink.

and if she wants to bathe, all the shyt stuck up there will run down ova your legs and in your bath.

Disgusting. lipsrsealed

Yuck!

I think the whole point of bathing is cleansing your entire body with a good soap and water. No part of the body goes untouched.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Gboliwe: 5:07pm On Aug 16, 2014
rozzay: Mine was wen I travelled to somewere in d east(won't mention) wearing shorts is normal here in lag nd I wasn't told dat its a taboo dere. Hehehehehehe u nid to c how I was beaten I don't want to state d details. Till date I can't near dere. Tho d elders apologised to me nd my friend who was an indigene but d ordeal still scares me anytime I rem

Kai! I am from the south-east, I have lived/stayed and visited all the 5 states that make it up and I have never ever heard or experienced this dumb culture. Please state the state and LG, let me confirm.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 16, 2014
deebee13: Born and bred in d north, kano state to be precise, i got my first culture shock in Edo state where i served. I saw women selling meat, riding okada... these were strange tins to see cos de were male territories here in kano. And worse of all was how d young girls dressed, it was so bad dat i cover my eyes in embarrasment sometimes!
you also didn't realise that there were many landladies in edo state? I know you closed your eyes with your palms and left a peeping hole!
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:13pm On Aug 16, 2014
Fulaman198:

Yuck!

I think the whole point of bathing is cleansing your entire body with a good soap and water. No part of the body goes untouched.

Im sorry for being so descriptive, but I have to educate folk on hygeine.

I cant stand dirtiness.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 16, 2014
donigspain: Old TIV culture but no longer in practice.
-Kwande LGA
-Vandeikya LGA
-Katsina-Ala LGA

*I served in TIV Land*
you served in Tiv lands good! I like to mimic the way they speak English and their accent. Let's creat a thread for Tiv people and their friends.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by donigspain(m): 5:24pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ahmeduana:
HOW MANY TIMES WERE YOU ENTERTAINED IN SUCH WAY?
donigspain: Old TIV culture but no longer in practice.
-Kwande LGA
-Vandeikya LGA
-Katsina-Ala LGA

*I served in TIV Land*

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by henry007(m): 5:59pm On Aug 16, 2014
aminho: * The one I experienced today as I travelled from East to North, we got to outskirt of Kaduna, I saw one guy bend down, I was wondering what he was doing , I felt he was defecating, but I was wrong, he was urinating bending down like women. I saw another boy do same. I called my would be host to narrate what I saw and I was told it's their way. I have never seen such before. It was a culture shock to me.

the guy bending down It has to do with *CLEANLINESS* and exposing *'unclothedness* (which for a man is considered anything from the belly-button down to the knees)

Urine is impure..it is dirty..it nullifies ablution..and even if a drop of it gets on our clothes..we need to change them..or wash them..otherwise we cannot pray in them..or perform acts of worship such as read Qura'an..also..exposing the 'awrah is considered a sin in Islam..and the way some urinate exposes their 'awrah...I do not need to go into much detail..but I am sure you know what I mean..
you're more likely to soil urself stooping low to pee. sides mallams that smell like the devil stoop to pee. ain't nothing to do with cleanliness
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by tuffgongjo(m): 6:01pm On Aug 16, 2014
Kimmo:

Lol. . You're absolutely right! I attended one wedding where there were fifteen sisters getting married. The first one already had a child who was writing WAEC at the time oh.

Beggars were so many in that town ehn, but what I liked most was the mosque, it's really beautiful.
I do feel embarrass to walk that "Muritala" street$station.those mosque do make sense with their Gold painted minarets.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by emenik08: 6:45pm On Aug 16, 2014
ChristyG: so dose who dont use tissue but water are abnormal and not sane abi?just because others dont do wat u ibo folks do doesnt make dem abnormal.different strokes for different folks,u dont ave to insult others,it doesnt make u any better

Sanity is geographical cos what ur pple may see as right may be wrong to mine Dats y they are calld cultural shocks. Whether u use tissue, leaf, water or even go witout; doesn't change any aspect of my lyf. Plz dnt bring in tribe issue aftall any igbo dat waz born n brought up in d west will have ur idea of toilet ethics.

4 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by emenik08: 6:46pm On Aug 16, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Disgusting. lipsrsealed
Guy u funny ooo.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by emenik08: 6:51pm On Aug 16, 2014
Gboliwe:

Kai! I am from the south-east, I have lived/stayed and visited all the 5 states that make it up and I have never ever heard or experienced this dumb culture. Please state the state and LG, let me confirm.
I think there is a town in anambra dat banned 'immoral dressing'. As a married woman, ur wrapper shuld be ur closest frnd n young ladies dnt wear trousers,shorts n co dat are expository. Failure to comply attracts punishments ranging frm beatin to fine.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 16, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Disgusting. lipsrsealed
a:ish! I'm eating na!. Utterly disgusting illustration!!! *spits(and in the process vomits)*
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by aminho(m): 7:25pm On Aug 16, 2014
henry007: you're more likely to soil urself stooping low to pee. sides mallams that smell like the devil stoop to pee. ain't nothing to do with cleanliness
am sorry to say dis but you lack home training, how can u compare someone to devil based onvhie he smells in islam to be clean is part of faith how

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by GatJokez(f): 7:54pm On Aug 16, 2014
Since I have been almost all over the place, I've been shocked once or twice grin

In Naples, Italy I saw gypsy woman pinch a baby she was holding to make it cry while she begged for money so passers bye would feel sorry. Come to find out, they exchange babies while on begging shifts.

It is normal to slap each other in Italia.

In USA, university students talk to professors whichever way they like. They do not address them with respect or reverence. K-12 students are rude to teachers and adults.

Some Americans marry cousins too shocked

Some Americans and Canadians are very backwards and live like the olden days - aka Amish

Russians, Ukrainians, and others from former USSR wash their bumbums too grin

Germans are very stingy and cheap. Went over to friend's house for dinner in Germany and her mom offered tea then asked if I was sure I wanted some. She asked if i was sure about everything she served so many times i excused myself and left. I was so embarrassed lol.

In Austria, wedding tradition includes the bride showing she can do a man's job and a groom shows he can do a woman's job. I saw a bride cut down a tree with a saw and ax and her groom sowing and mending clothes grin.

Personal space in America and Canada very distant unlike many other cultures.

In family homes, Arabs eat rice dishes with their hands. Nothing like everyone sitting around a large tray of their kind of pilaf and everyone digging in neatly from their sides.

To be continued...

5 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by deebee13(f): 7:55pm On Aug 16, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: you also didn't realise that there were many landladies in edo state? I know you closed your eyes with your palms and left a peeping hole!

U funny! The landlady thingy is so true! And for d record i didnt peep, silly!
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 16, 2014
Don't know if this is a culture shock since its my own culture
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Gboliwe: 8:34pm On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08:
I think there is a town in anambra dat banned 'immoral dressing'. As a married woman, ur wrapper shuld be ur closest frnd n young ladies dnt wear trousers,shorts n co dat are expository. Failure to comply attracts punishments ranging frm beatin to fine.
How does this relate to what I asked the other poster?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by ogashman(m): 8:49pm On Aug 16, 2014
In d state wher i com frm,if elders fart(d type dat comes wit a bang) gringringrin....d younger ones around thank dem.

Dis really shocked me!!
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by spiralwedge(m): 9:18pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ll

3 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by spiralwedge(m): 9:46pm On Aug 16, 2014
onila: meeting yoruba girls

never met girls so rude

I kinda lost my respect for you after reading this.

I loved all your posts/threads and pictures of several peoples and nations, but this pettiness caused me distress.
How is that a culture? I thought u were more enlightened than that.

7 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by slogozer(m): 9:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
emenik08: Plz is it through dat core yoruba pple dnt use toilet tissue rather they use water for cleaning up afta toilet
Plz if true why?

Because it is cleaner and sanitary-proof. For those that use toilet rolls, good for you. But remember you don't use it for new born babies.

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 16, 2014
Gboliwe:

No o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Are Somalian Girls So Beautiful??? / Pictures Of Four Oduduwa Monuments In Different Cities / Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.