Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? (26651 Views)

Culture Shock. Caption This Photo. / Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? / Have You Ever Experienced Tyre Burst When Carrying Mortar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by otipoju(m): 10:23pm On Aug 16, 2014
My culture shock is living among people who crave so much personal space and have boundaries but complain of loneliness and eventually commit suicide.

Imagine I am not allowed to look At a well crafted figure, they say it is sexual harrassment. Haba Ohio.

All the whole food na sugar sugar sugar. Tried to adjust but I have stopped eating oo. Before they destroy my lastman standing.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Laredojohn(m): 10:24pm On Aug 16, 2014
Where I served Wanakom , yala local government area of cross river, noticed every family feeds on pounded yam at least once a day year in year out,

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by bokohalal(m): 10:26pm On Aug 16, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: you also didn't realise that there were many landladies in edo state? I know you closed your eyes with your palms and left a peeping hole!
You have a problem with female landlords?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by bokohalal(m): 10:28pm On Aug 16, 2014
deebee13:

U funny! The landlady thingy is so true! And for d record i didnt peep, silly!
Et tu?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by funmo(m): 10:44pm On Aug 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

My own goes thus:

Imagine a plate of 50 naira rice with 2kpomo, 2Ishan, 1Eyin, and 2Beef shocked shocked shocked

For 50 naira rice!!!

please where is this?? time to relocate...
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by MizMyColi(f): 10:46pm On Aug 16, 2014
funmo:

please where is this?? time to relocate...
Lagos na grin
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by famous143(m): 10:56pm On Aug 16, 2014
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Revolva(m): 11:34pm On Aug 16, 2014
i have only experienced electric shock....ok.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Aug 16, 2014
bokohalal:
You have a problem with female landlords?
why should I? Your question reeks of sarcasm! Mind yourself oh.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Aug 16, 2014
deebee13:

U funny! The landlady thingy is so true! And for d record i didnt peep, silly!
ok boss! I believe you didn't peep.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by lalasticlala(m): 11:50pm On Aug 16, 2014
ogashman: In d state wher i com frm,if elders fart(d type dat comes wit a bang) gringringrin....d younger ones around thank dem.

Dis really shocked me!!

lol
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by peter4d2(m): 12:24am On Aug 17, 2014
During my NYSC in cross river n ogoja 2 b precise thr is a place pple go for fishing both male n female must not wear anyfin 4rm waist upwards boi or gal yung or old n 1 of my indegenious frnd took me 4 site seeing
Well guess dats my own culture shock I wish I had work dat wuld mak me tour southern nigeria.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by peter4d2(m): 12:38am On Aug 17, 2014
Laredojohn: Where I served Wanakom , yala local government area of cross river, noticed every family feeds on pounded yam at least once a day year in year out,

Ogoja zone n did u get 2 spend time @ igoli too central park n dem yahe gals.

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by juman(m): 12:41am On Aug 17, 2014
kenbee: Mine is;
(1). When I was serving my Nation (NYSC) in Oyo state, I noticed that their women struggle/hustle so hard to provide for the family why their men lazy around baba ijebu/lotto centres.

(2). I grew up in a state where mature Politics is played only to migrate to River state where recycled criminals practice cultism in the name of politics.

The bolded is a problem in yorubaland.

The governors also need to look into electricity provision, this will help many people to get something to do .
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by juman(m): 1:03am On Aug 17, 2014
We have a lot of tourism attraction in this country, but we have no leaders.
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by gentlezypher: 7:26am On Aug 17, 2014
Adeoba10: When I travelled to Abia state (Isialangwa north) and i saw ladies riding bicycle and bike , infact, d husband will sit at d back while d lady will b riding it... I was surprised... U will see 2-3yrs children riding CHOPPER bicycle
i rep ngwa, thats our way, proud of our heritage
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Adeoba10(m): 7:51am On Aug 17, 2014
gentlezypher: i rep ngwa, thats our way, proud of our heritage
U are too much Bro, currently serving at NTIGHA second grammer schl.... Av also bn to Ohuhu nsulu wia I was showered with bush allowance... Roff dat village, jux scared of dat rumour, abi na true?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by henry007(m): 10:24am On Aug 17, 2014
aminho: am sorry to say dis but you lack home training, how can u compare someone to devil based onvhie he smells in islam to be clean is part of faith how
I associate bad stuff with the devil. so sorry if you stink tho it aint of God
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Mustay(m): 11:39am On Aug 17, 2014
juman: The bolded is a problem in yorubaland.

The governors also need to look into electricity provision, this will help many people to get something to do .

It had been previously highlighted here that you can't use (a) sample(s) to ascribe generics to a population - that is statistical biasness.

You can make use of the internet as there are more Yoruba literary works uploaded online these days on Yoruba custom & traditions. . .

"It is still culturally valued among the Yorùbá that a man should work hard":

"Atẹlẹwọ Ẹni, ki n tan Ni’ jẹ; it means" (A hardworking person will never be disappointed).

otipoju: My culture shock is living among people who crave so much personal space and have boundaries but complain of loneliness and eventually commit suicide.

Imagine I am not allowed to look At a well crafted figure, they say it is sexual harrassment. Haba Ohio.

All the whole food na sugar sugar sugar. Tried to adjust but I have stopped eating oo. Before they destroy my lastman standing.

What country is this? Curious. With the "sugar sugar" stuff, why do I have a feeling it is an Arab nation? undecided
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by deebee13(f): 11:50am On Aug 17, 2014
EmpressaDelRei: ok boss! I believe you didn't peep.

I'm a babe, not a boss! Hope u now knw why i didnt peep...
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Aug 17, 2014
In Australia der is dys city I visited rzdetan: u don't wear ur cloths on as soon as u enter ur house. Everybody has to strickly be in undies no mater de wealther or nos of visitors u may ve.

So Strange, DAT I ve to leave town same day
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by skasski: 12:37pm On Aug 17, 2014
What does culture mean?
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by oluamid(m): 2:48pm On Aug 17, 2014
emenik08:

Sanity is geographical cos what ur pple may see as right may be wrong to mine Dats y they are calld cultural shocks. Whether u use tissue, leaf, water or even go witout; doesn't change any aspect of my lyf. Plz dnt bring in tribe issue aftall any igbo dat waz born n brought up in d west will have ur idea of toilet ethics.

You started the back and forth arguments so don't play the victim.

If you can, read up on ethnocentrism in your spare time.

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by yinkuscious(m): 2:58pm On Aug 17, 2014
In a village in korea republic, if you are in love with a lady and you want to marry her, you don't need to go and learn how to recite love poem. All you need to do is to buy the lady a pair of shoe and she will immediately understand you. If she collect it, that means your hook has caught a fish, but if she refuse to accept it.... Complete the statement
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 17, 2014
deebee13:

I'm a babe, not a boss! Hope u now knw why i didnt peep...
ok Bosslady! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by gmacnoms(m): 3:47pm On Aug 17, 2014
onuwaje: Well let me start
Rivers state
1.the ikwerre people don have s*x on the floor
2.some part of ikwerre (ogbogoro,rumuosi) dont allow female dogs to roam the street. It is forbidden
3. Theres no red corn in rivers(dont knw why)

Bayelsa
A friend of mine from nembe told me that a stranger does not and is not allowed to ask for pillow because it will tuurn to a snake

Delta
U don whistle at night(so u dont call the spirits) think its common with the itsekiri's and urhobo's

Its hard to find any culture shock with delta people cos I am from there.. so those that have found out our culture shock shud pls enlighten me
Our culture nor dey shock...Proudly Urhobo

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by gmacnoms(m): 3:48pm On Aug 17, 2014
yinkuscious: In a village in korea republic, if you are in love with a lady and you want to marry her, you don't need to go and learn how to recite love poem. All you need to do is to buy the lady a pair of shoe and she will immediately understand you. If she collect it, that means your hook has catch a fish, but if she refuse to accept it.... Complete the statement
the fish has caught d hook

2 Likes

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by otipoju(m): 5:08pm On Aug 17, 2014
Mustay:

It had been previously highlighted here that you can't use (a) sample(s) to ascribe generics to a population - that is statistical biasness.

You can make use of the internet as there are more Yoruba literary works uploaded online these days on Yoruba custom & traditions. . .

"It is still culturally valued among the Yorùbá that a man should work hard":

"Atẹlẹwọ Ẹni, ki n tan Ni’ jẹ; it means" (A hardworking person will never be disappointed).

What country is this? Curious. With the "sugar sugar" stuff, why do I have a feeling it is an Arab nation? undecided

omo na USA oo. Initially i had no choice , once i knew where the african store was located, i weaned myself of their food.I told them point blank tat sugar will kill my ability to make someone speak in other tongues

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Mustay(m): 5:10pm On Aug 17, 2014
^^^ Lol. I must have overlooked the suicide part smiley
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
ChristyG: that because u are mean and rude b.itc.hy girl urself,so u keep meeting ur kind.all these ur meaningless stories about yoruba girls is getting very stale.u are beginning to sound like a broken record
NICE ONEwinkcheesy

1 Like

Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Beesluv: 8:03pm On Aug 18, 2014
emenik08:
Na leaves like cassava leaves. What puzzles me is the idea using d same hand to clean our bom bom n same hand to eat

U wash d bombom with left hand and eat with right hand
Re: Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It? by Beesluv: 8:19pm On Aug 18, 2014
thandii1:

This has to be strangest culture shock I've read so far. What?

What I have to say might not necessarily be a culture shock, but during my stay in the north, I was amazed at how the northerners accepted any kind of notes, torn, badly cellotaped notes were collected as normal thing. Here in the south people frown and reject such notes, some even reject dirty notes.

In lagos, I just could not wrap my head around the way the drivers move their cars. They drive in such a way they you'd think they'd hit your bumper. Never seen such reckless driving all my life.

grin
thandii1:

This has to be strangest culture shock I've read so far. What?

What I have to say might not necessarily be a culture shock, but during my stay in the north, I was amazed at how the northerners accepted any kind of notes, torn, badly cellotaped notes were collected as normal thing. Here in the south people frown and reject such notes, some even reject dirty notes.

In lagos, I just could not wrap my head around the way the drivers move their cars. They drive in such a way they you'd think they'd hit your bumper. Never seen such reckless driving all my life.

grin
Such notes are still being spent in kano, I was once given N200 note with staple pin unknown to me. Mehnnn, me too spend am oo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Calabar Bikers' Carnival 2016 (photos) / Pictures Of Four Oduduwa Monuments In Different Cities / Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.