Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,160 members, 7,953,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:44 PM

State Of Emergency And Curfew Declared In US Town Of Ferguson - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Of Emergency And Curfew Declared In US Town Of Ferguson (635 Views)

Governor Ugwuanyi Observing The 3Day Fasting Declared In Enugu (pics) / Shocking Photos From The Recaptured Town Of Damasak, Borno State / Breaking News: 24 Hours Curfew Declared In Adamawa State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

State Of Emergency And Curfew Declared In US Town Of Ferguson by ProudUSA: 2:03am On Aug 17, 2014
Oh, boy.

Mo. gov. declares state of emergency, curfew in Ferguson

FERGUSON, Mo. — Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon declared a state of emergency and curfew in Ferguson, Mo., on Saturday, following nights of protests after 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot and killed by a police officer.

"If we're going to have justice, we must first have and maintain peace," Nixon said at a Saturday afternoon press conference. "The eyes of the world are watching."

Captain Ron Johnson of the Missouri State Highway Patrol says the curfew will run from midnight to 5 a.m. local time Sunday and will be enforced through conversations, not tear gas and tanks.
"We will survive this and will make a change," Johnson says.
Malik Shabazz, a member of Black Lawyers for Justice, said he has been working with a coalition of groups to help disperse crowds and keep the peace in Ferguson for the past several days.

Now, he is worried the curfew will make it harder for him to help authorities. He thinks the curfew asks people to go home too early. The past few nights, Shabazz said, people went home around 1:30 a.m.
He asked Johnson to extend the curfew during the news conference, where it was announced. Johnson however said it would stand.
"I don't want our people to get hurt," he said. "It's Saturday night. Twelve midnight is an early time. ... I can't be responsible for his timeline so it is what it is."

Margaret Huang, deputy executive director of Amnesty International USA, disagrees with the curfew.
"It's clear that the community doesn't feel heard," Huang says. "It's hard to build trust when the governor won't meet with community members and restricts their movements with a curfew. The people of Ferguson should not have their rights further restricted."

Daniel Moore, 42, of Ferguson said he thought a curfew would only make things more tense among protesters and the police. Moore said he fears police will use the curfew as an excuse to harass people on foot and in cars.
"It's stupid," Moore said as he stood among fellow protesters at QuikTrip. "They just want to control everything. ... I guess they what us to obey — I can't tell if I will."
Derrick Brown, 25, said he was optimistic that people would abide by the curfew but wasn't sure whether he supported it.
"It'll be interesting to see the crowd move at midnight," Brown said. "I'm curious to see how that process will unfold."

Read the whole story - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/16/ferguson-missouri-michael-brown-rally-protests/14160469/
Re: State Of Emergency And Curfew Declared In US Town Of Ferguson by OtunbaJega: 2:39am On Aug 17, 2014
ok..where is officer Wilson...lol
Re: State Of Emergency And Curfew Declared In US Town Of Ferguson by guttentag(m): 2:55pm On Aug 17, 2014
The curfew has been defied ......

In Rick Ross Voice '' WAR READY''

(1) (Reply)

How I Slaughtered Yoruba Leader In Kano / Boko Haram Beheading Christians In Gwozo? / Salisu: Direct Primaries Not Negotiable In APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.