Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? (17255 Views)

A 400-page Tutorial On How To Build Web Apps With Golang / Nigerian Made Android Apps for Android Phones / Testing Programmers: Puzzles Or Web Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 3:14pm On Aug 18, 2014
Which is more feasible? Which is more lucrative? Mobile-Based Apps or Web-based Apps for 9ja or African market? Many people have more mobile devices or smartphones than desktops/laptops but it seems as if people dont use their mobile devices or smartphones to browse. Or how do you feel?
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ayukdaboss(m): 5:02pm On Aug 18, 2014
I don't know really but I'll say mobile based apps. Brings more audience, more cash and less occurrence of piracy.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by lat4real: 5:02pm On Aug 18, 2014
I don't know what to type...but I will type anyway cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by kraba: 5:03pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile apps

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by alexandakin(m): 5:03pm On Aug 18, 2014
Yeah, people should embrace the use of smartfones. But d problem majority of smartfone users in Nigeria face is dia crappy n expensiv network.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by NaLaugh: 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
Make both.

While people in Naija might predominantly access the web via mobile devices, this is mainly as a result of inadequate options for affordable unlimited high speed internet. When that changes, you would already have a head-start.

4 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by kingvicking(m): 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mixed I think. Both should work hand-in-hand

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by nickz(m): 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
made fp with just 3 comments
who is the MOD

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Richhommie(m): 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile based

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
Whoz d mod, d guy needs to be flogged for bringin dis to frontpage

3 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
I don't know.

Just kidding. I wouldn't comment if I had nothing to say....

For Nigeria, I would recommend web based apps.

For mobile, you would have to divide your development energy across all the common platforms (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows), and not everyone uses a smartphone either. You would be inefficient and would cut out an entire demographic.

I don't know why this is on the front page either. You need comments from actual developers. Look at all the dumb comments you've gotten already.

20 Likes

It depends on the market

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Jhayson(m): 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
Ionno...

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by bot101(m): 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2014
most nigerians use mobiles than pcs but profitability is not about the apps but the services you are rendering using those apps.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by kennyfao(m): 5:05pm On Aug 18, 2014
I guess mobile app is better because of it level of availabilty n accessibility. It pulls more potential clients

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Superstar007(m): 5:05pm On Aug 18, 2014
No! Make we make bombs, then target all them big big markets for Africa.
As for the base that one na tori for another day. grin

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Walexwal: 5:05pm On Aug 18, 2014
I will go for mobile apps any day anytime.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ayukdaboss(m): 5:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
nickz: made fp with just 3 comments
who is the MOD
it was on Fp without comments. I was the first shocked

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 5:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
Thank you for letting this make front page. What device do most 9jerians/Africans use to browse the internet? Mobile/Smartphones? Desktops/Laptops? Many 9jerians/Africans own more mobile devices/smartphones than desktops/laptops but it seems as if mobile devices/smartphones are only used for chatting. To be more clear, here is what I mean:

a. Native Apps
Native apps live on the device and are accessed through icons on the device home screen. Native apps are installed through an application store (such as Google Play or Apple’s App Store). They are developed specifically for one platform, and can take full advantage of all the device features — they can use the camera, the GPS, the accelerometer, the compass, the list of contacts, and so on. They can also incorporate gestures (either standard operating-system gestures or new, app-defined gestures). And native apps can use the device’s notification system and can work offline.

b. Mobile Web Apps
Web apps are not real applications; they are really websites that, in many ways, look and feel like native applications, but are not implemented as such. They are run by a browser and typically written in HTML5. Users first access them as they would access any web page: they navigate to a special URL and then have the option of “installing” them on their home screen by creating a bookmark to that page.

Web apps became really popular when HTML5 came around and people realized that they can obtain native-like functionality in the browser. Today, as more and more sites use HTML5, the distinction between web apps and regular web pages has become blurry.

c. Hybrid apps
Hybrid apps are part native apps, part web apps. (Because of that, many people incorrectly call them “web apps”). Like native apps, they live in an app store and can take advantage of the many device features available. Like web apps, they rely on HTML being rendered in a browser, with the caveat that the browser is embedded within the app.

Often, companies build hybrid apps as wrappers for an existing web page; in that way, they hope to get a presence in the app store, without spending significant effort for developing a different app. Hybrid apps are also popular because they allow cross-platform development and thus significantly reduce development costs: that is, the same HTML code components can be reused on different mobile operating systems. Tools such as PhoneGap and Sencha Touch allow people to design and code across platforms, using the power of HTML.

Link ~> http://www.nngroup.com/articles/mobile-native-apps/

6 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Vikthor(m): 5:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
mobile apps for sure

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by stinggy(m): 5:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
wetin una wan dey sell
Human being parts

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by bookgenius(m): 5:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
Web ni nw

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by omolizzy(f): 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile....my opinion

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Tval(m): 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2014
It depends on you, check your engine room/your analytic to know where most of the users visit from and the devices they use most, then you choose the best.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ibe9ja: 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2014
FP? Smh. Imagine the topic self

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile o.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by kingvicking(m): 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2014
[/quote] but it seems as if people dont use their mobile devices or smartphones to browse. Or how do you feel?[/quote]

Are u kidding me or something? WAKE UP

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ayukdaboss(m): 5:09pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya: I don't know.

Just kidding. I wouldn't comment if I had nothing to say....

For Nigeria, I would recommend web based apps.

For mobile, you would have to divide your development energy across all the common platforms (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows), and not everyone uses a smartphone either. You would be inefficient and would cut out an entire demographic.

I don't know why this is on the front page either. You need comments from actual developers. Look at all the dumb comments you've gotten already.
Most Web based apps don't work well on non-smartphones

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by lafuria1(m): 5:10pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mobile app due to easy of accessibility. I'm more likely to check on app daily than switch on a laptop and go online. And besides, people will still use the phone browser to access the Web page.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by maafen: 5:10pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei: Which is more feasible? Which is more lucrative? Mobile-Based Apps or Web-based Apps for 9ja or African market? Many people have more mobile devices or smartphones than desktops/laptops but it seems as if people dont use their mobile devices or smartphones to browse . Or how do you feel?
@ bolded ℓ don't know W̶̲̥̅̊hε̲̣̣̣̥я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ yόϋ heard this, a lagre number φf nigerians that go online use mobile phones ℓ don't know the actual statistic but ℓ think it is about 70% ãпԃ this is even common knowledge. Fø̲̣̣я today ℓ think mobile based app is it.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by mohammedmagnus: 5:10pm On Aug 18, 2014
Yeah its a very good idea bro, but one thing you must understand is. One thing is to start-up something innovative, another is for the people to accept such innovations. For example creating such apps, how many africans would be willing to patronise it so that money gets into the pockets of the app makers. Cos you know we all like free stuffs. That's another problem affecting the black race, the ability to accept new innovations and ideas

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 18, 2014
ayukdaboss:
Most Web based apps don't work well on non-smartphones

That's due to the developer. A GOOD programmer makes a website that DEGRADES so it works on ALL PLATFORMS. That's how I build web apps. I test it on every single screen size, browser, and platform.

Twitter works everywhere, doesn't it? It's a web app, with a mobile app OPTION.

This thread really shouldn't be on the front page. Nairaland has A LOT of tech experts that can give the OP the correct advice.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can I Code With My Phone / Learn Java Programming Here Easily / How To Hack Bank Account In Nigeria In 30 Minutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.