Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? (17247 Views)

A 400-page Tutorial On How To Build Web Apps With Golang / Nigerian Made Android Apps for Android Phones / Testing Programmers: Puzzles Or Web Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by DonaldGenes(m): 6:41pm On Aug 18, 2014
prettyboi1989:
Whu send u message? Dumdum

Yea yea
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:44pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

*shrug* look for a mobile dev'er. Or do as someone else suggested and take your search off NL.

Your question is about logistics. Nothing particular to Nigerians.

It is particular to Nigerians. Nigerians' logistics.

How is VConnect the 38th top most visited in Nigeria ~> http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries;1/NG

but only have 50,000 downloads from more than likely the same country ~> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vconnect.view&hl=en
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:45pm On Aug 18, 2014
Even take a look at NL (Nairaland) although I dont think it is a great example. NL is the number 8 on top visited sites in Nigeria, but only few people have bothered in downloading its app.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

It is particular to Nigerians. Nigerians' logistics.

How is VConnect the 38th top most visited in Nigeria ~> http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries;1/NG

but only have 50,000 downloads from more than likely the same country ~> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vconnect.view&hl=en

Logistics in terms of encryption.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ghettodreamz(m): 6:46pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei: But still, I wanted to make many more of things. Like I wanted to make a freelancing app, a new scraping app, a Nairaland filter app, but I didnt know if people access mobile apps or web apps. When I do my research websites or web apps seem to be accessed alot by Nigerians/Africans, but when you look to see if the the website/web app has a mobile app (they usually do) but no one downloads it.

The answer to this is not far-fetched, reason being that our people would rather prefer to have scores of applications being developed by foreign dev's guys on their mobile computing device cluttering up its memory space, than having 1 or 2 locally developed app. It's all boils down to customers/users' reactions and their acceptance like I'd mentioned before. And that explains why we have several thousands of web-based developers, compared to the tiny number of mobile app developers in Nigeria.

If no one is willing to use your product, then your product is useless. No dev house would want to hire developers if there are no customers or users to sell to. A lot of people would rather prefer to get trained as web developers and be able to secure a job that pays their bills, rather than being a mobile app developer with no assurance or certainty of being employed, thereby making it hard to keep body and soul together.

So, this is one of the biggest challenges facing developers as far as mobile computing is concerned in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:49pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

Logistics in terms of encryption.

Huh, are you talking my Data App or in general? This question was for the apps I plan on making. I didnt know whether to make them targeting Mobile-Devices/Smartphone or Desktops/Laptops. That Data app, is just one of many apps that I have. The data app has nothing to do with the original question. My main concern is that Ive been looking an Nigerian most visited websites and have noticed a trend that many Nigerians go to websites, rather than using the app. But at the same time many Nigerians have mobile-devices/smartphones than they have Desktops/Laptops. So are they using their mobile browsers to access the internet? What type of mobile apps do they have on their phone? What do most Nigerians do with their mobile-devices or smartphones?
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Huh, are you talking my Data App or in general? This question was for the apps I plan on making. I didnt know whether to make them targeting Mobile-Devices/Smartphone or Desktops/Laptops. That Data app, is just one of many apps that I have. The data app has nothing to do with the original question. My main concern is that Ive been looking an Nigerian most visited websites and have noticed a trend that many Nigerians go to websites, rather than using the app. But at the same time many Nigerians have mobile-devices/smartphones than they have Desktops/Laptops. So are they using their mobile browsers to access the internet? What type of mobile apps do they have on their phone? What do most Nigerians do with their mobile-devices or smartphones?

This is a completely different question than what you asked in the OP. You're bringing in too many different subjects now. I now have no idea what you're asking.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:53pm On Aug 18, 2014
ghettodreamz:

The answer to this is not far-fetched, reason being that our people would rather prefer to have scores of applications being developed by foreign dev's guys on their mobile computing device cluttering up its memory space, than having 1 or 2 locally developed app. It's all boils down to customers/users' reactions and their acceptance like I'd mentioned before. And that explains why we have several thousands of web-based developers, compared to the tiny number of mobile app developers in Nigeria.

If no one is willing to use your product, then your product is useless. No dev house would want to hire developers if there are no customers or users to sell to. A lot of people would rather prefer to get trained as web developers and be able to secure a job that pays their bills, rather than being a mobile app developer with no assurance or certainty of being employed, thereby making it hard to keep body and soul together.

So, this is one of the biggest challenges facing developers as far as mobile computing is concerned in Nigeria.

GhettoDreamz, now I get what you are saying. So what you are telling me is that Nigerian Developer Market are more web-based then mobile based, right? Because it is easier to make a web app (with HTML, CSS, JS) than to make a mobile (native app) (with Java, Objective-C & C++). So being that many Nigerian developers know how to make more web apps than mobile apps, they make web apps with what they know (Phonegap or other cross-platform frameworks) and then they market the site, instead of them to make mobile (native) app, upload it to the app store and market it. Now that makes sense.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 6:55pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

This is a completely different question than what you asked in the OP. You're bringing in too many different subjects now. I now have no idea what you're asking.

The data app was just an app in which I wanted to know if people were interested in. My main question was if I wanted to make apps for Nigeria/African market, should my apps target Mobile-Devices/Smartphones or Desktops/Laptops? In other words, what device do many Nigerians use to browse? Because from my research it seems as if many Nigerians/Africans access web apps (websites) than accessing mobile (native) apps, when at the same time, they are more likely to own a Mobile-Device/Smartphone than they are to own a Desktop/Laptop.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ghettodreamz(m): 6:57pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Yeah thanks for the clarification, but I guess my question should be more like do Nigerians/Africans access apps through Mobile/Smartphones or through Desktops/Laptops?

Bro, I want to believe you are currently in Nigeria, and answer to your question is right here, staring at your face. Take Nairaland for example, without doing any research I can assuredly say to you, that we have higher number of people accessing NL via mobile/smartphones as compared to those that access it through the PCs. How many people can comfortably afford paying exorbitant fees for broadband connection in their various homes to be used on the PCs, but the phone operators/telecoms network providers have made it so easy that people can surf the internet and explore with just 100Naira worth of airtime, and some operators even give free MB's based on what I was being told.

So, judging from these factors, by now you should have a better perspective to looking at things and get your answer.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

The data app was just an app in which I wanted to know if people were interested in. My main question was if I wanted to make apps for Nigeria/African market, should my apps target Mobile-Devices/Smartphones or Desktops/Laptops? In other words, what device do many Nigerians use to browse? Because from my research it seems as if many Nigerians/Africans access web apps (websites) than accessing mobile (native) apps, when at the same time, they are more likely to own a Mobile-Device/Smartphone than they are to own a Desktop/Laptop.

Look for marketing research online. There are papers available with that info. You just have to be really good at finding it, as statistical information on Nigeria is very very difficult to find. Try scholar journal sites, or World Bank

I do this often. Palm oil stats in Nigeria. Energy stats. Business culture stats. Takes a little while and some research skills. But it's out there, I promise.

Never reinvent the wheel.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by abworld6deep(m): 7:00pm On Aug 18, 2014
Wow!

Have being writing a proposal on this topic. Am looking @ feasibilies of bringing in the word Nigeria in a small context. Something that gives everybody equality to showcase your product free n those that needs your product with their apps can just search thru a particular product within the closest street close by to you.
Then different corporate bodies in such request within the selected area codes with displaced. You can look into each ones with their displayed product like that of IG n go ahead go have a deal with the best firm that suite you....... But "Capital"....May God help.

I prefer Mobil app. With the everyday development in smartphones cum affordability of it.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:01pm On Aug 18, 2014
ghettodreamz:

Bro, I want to believe you are currently in Nigeria, and answer to your question is right here, staring at your face. Take Nairaland for example, without doing any research I can assuredly say to you, that we have higher number of people accessing NL via mobile/smartphones as compared to those that access it through the PCs. How many people can comfortably afford paying exorbitant fees for broadband connection in their various homes to be used on the PCs, but the phone operators/telecoms network providers have made it so easy that people can surf the internet and explore with just 100Naira worth of airtime, and some operators even give free MB's based on what I was being told.

So, judging from these factors, by now you should have a better perspective to looking at things and get your answer.

@Ghettodreamz, THANK YOU!!!! You nailed it. That's why its hard for me to understand. You've made everything clear. Im seeing everything from the outside view, not the inside view. So NL for example people browse with their phone but they download the app. They just go to the site and see what they can get, because downloaded an app uses data which if u don't have enough money, you can't waste.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:02pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

Look for marketing research online. There are papers available with that info. You just have to be really good at finding it, as statistical information on Nigeria is very very difficult to find. Try scholar journal sites, or World Bank

You are so right. Statistical information on Nigeria is very very hard to find. I've been having trouble with it.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 18, 2014
There are some concepts u must understand, first of all there is no matured web standard again, html 5 is not, apple is pushing for an app based web, google pushes for web but has its own customized standards and google wants to be the web of course u hv heard google is skynet. Microsoft encoraged standard to thrive even when not supporting them but microsoft is a distant 3rd in the mobile race. There has been no time more dificult been a web or app developer. Also take into recognition that. Internet bandwidth is still very xpensive in nigeria so anything like streaming is a no go area in this parts of the world. I would say go for simple web apps dat way u don't have to design for differnt phones. I mean those. Apps that are just a pre-formated web page. Also keep in mind that if the page is too large it gets unstable on low end phones even android phones with 1gb ram. For example take a nairaland app that once u click on it on ur mobile device it takes u to nairaland and logs u in. Then let's say u can change ur profile within the app stuff like ur pics monkier and so on.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:02pm On Aug 18, 2014
abworld6deep: Wow!

Have being writing a proposal on this topic. Am looking @ feasibilies of bringing in the word Nigeria in a small context. Something that gives everybody equality to showcase your product free n those that needs your product with their apps can just search thru a particular product within the closest street close by to you.
Then different corporate bodies in such request within the selected area codes with displaced. You can look into each ones with their displayed product like that of IG n go ahead go have a deal with the best firm that suite you....... But "Capital"....May God help.

I prefer Mobil app. With the everyday development in smartphones cum affordability of it.

Is your proposal or an abstract to your proposal online?
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:05pm On Aug 18, 2014
bossmini84: There are some concepts u must understand, first of all there is no matured web standard again, html 5 is not, apple is pushing for an app based web, google pushes for web but has its own customized standards and google wants to be the web of course u hv heard google is skynet. Microsoft encoraged standard to thrive even when not supporting them but microsoft is a distant 3rd in the mobile race. There has been no time more dificult been a web or app developer. Also take into recognition that. Internet bandwidth is still very xpensive in nigeria so anything like streaming is a no go area in this parts of the world. I would say go for simple web apps dat way u don't have to design for differnt phones. I mean those. Apps that are just a pre-formated web page. Also keep in mind that if the page is too large it gets unstable on low end phones even android phones with 1gb ram.

Bossmini84, thanks so much. I understand everything you said. So if I wanted to make an app, it is best to make mobile web-based apps and if I can, I should make it offline native apps, so that people won't have to go online to get the information they need.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:06pm On Aug 18, 2014
You see this is the main reason why I think that Airtel's WTF (Whatsapp, Twitter & Facebook) bundle, together with Facebook's Internet.org app will definitely see in Nigeria/Africa. Because with Facebook, Twitter & Whatsapp, you can definitely get all the information you need for 200 Naira monthly in Nigeria or for free in Zambia.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
Africa is the future we just need those who have talent and passion.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by ghettodreamz(m): 7:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

GhettoDreamz, now I get what you are saying. So what you are telling me is that Nigerian Developer Market are more web-based then mobile based, right? Because it is easier to make a web app (with HTML, CSS, JS) than to make a mobile (native app) (with Java, Objective-C & C++). So being that many Nigerian developers know how to make more web apps than mobile apps, they make web apps with what they know (Phonegap or other cross-platform frameworks) and then they market the site, instead of them to make mobile (native) app, upload it to the app store and market it. Now that makes sense.

More like it, but I would still advice you google differences between Web applications and mobile applications. I think you are not so clear with some things here, and simple for what each term represent would help simplify things. Web apps are application software that are created to run in a web browser, using programming languages that supports the web-browser and without the web browser there is no way you can run such apps. On the other hand, mobile apps are created for the mobile devices, they run on mobile devices, such as the smartphone, mobile phones, tablet, et al. Hence, reason why we have several app stores, because several types of mobile/smartphones exist with varying number of OS. It is also worthy of note, that most mobile phones or smartphones are being shipped with web browsers, so it's easy to explore and access the web using a mobile device.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

You are so right. Statistical information on Nigeria is very very hard to find. I've been having trouble with it.

You could hire a marketing firm to do the research. Dunno what they charge in Nigeria.

I could do it. Maybe, but I'm really busy at the moment. I have a subscription to a research site. Safari Books.

You could try your research on there with a something-day trial.

Or the World Bank website.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:09pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

You could hire a marketing firm to do the research. Dunno what they charge in Nigeria.

I could do it. Maybe, but I'm really busy at the moment. I have a subscription to a research site. Safari Books.

You could try your research on there with a something-day trial.

Thanks. When you say Safari Books, do u mean ~> https://www.safaribooksonline.com/ or is it another link or company?
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Thanks. When you say Safari Books, do u mean ~> https://www.safaribooksonline.com/ or is it another link or company?

Yep. That's the one. Also try the World Bank website. They have marketing research on Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2014
ghettodreamz:

More like it, but I would still advice you google differences between Web applications and mobile applications. I think you are not so clear with some things here, and simple for what each term represent would help simplify things. Web apps are application software that are created to run in a web browser, using programming languages that supports the web-browser and without the web browser there is no way you can run such apps. On the other hand, mobile apps are created for the mobile devices, they run on mobile devices, such as the smartphone, mobile phones, tablet, et al. Hence, reason why we have several app stores, because several types of mobile/smartphones exist with varying number of OS. It is also worthy of note, that most mobile phones or smartphones are being shipped with web browsers, so it's easy to explore and access the web using a mobile device.

I hope this helps.

Yeah it does help. Thanks. But looking at it from Nigeria's persepective, many mobile-devices/smartphones have browsers, so its best to make a web app for a mobile phone which will be a mobile web app. For feature phones or for people who dont have updated browsers, we can make a text-version mobile web app.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:11pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

Yep. That's the one. Also try the World Bank website. They have marketing research on Nigeria.

Thanks, these people ~> http://www.worldbank.org/
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Thanks, these people ~> http://www.worldbank.org/

Yeah. http://data.worldbank.org

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

Yeah. http://data.worldbank.org

Okay thanks. I never knew of that. Thanks for giving me the right answer. I really appreciate your time and patience with me.
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2014
THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME OUT. I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S RESPONSES, TIME AND PATIENCE. IM NOT LEAVING BUT I JUST WANTED TO WISH HOPE & PRAY WE ALL HAVE A GOOD MONDAY & GREAT SUCCESSFUL WEEK AHEAD!!! I'LL STILL BE ONLINE
Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 18, 2014
toshodei:

Okay thanks. I never knew of that. Thanks for giving me the right answer. I really appreciate your time and patience with me.

Sure. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by QuiverBox(f): 7:22pm On Aug 18, 2014
Your summarized it perfectly, couldn't have said it better

MissMeiya: I don't know.

Just kidding. I wouldn't comment if I had nothing to say....

For Nigeria, I would recommend web based apps.

For mobile, you would have to divide your development energy across all the common platforms (iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows), and not everyone uses a smartphone either. You would be inefficient and would cut out an entire demographic.

I don't know why this is on the front page either. You need comments from actual developers. Look at all the dumb comments you've gotten already.

2 Likes

Re: Should We Make Mobile Apps Or Web Apps For The Nigerian/African Market? by toshodei: 7:23pm On Aug 18, 2014
I think the answer is we should make web apps for mobile, which is MOBILE WEB APPS in order to access all phones regardless of manufacturers or makers. From there we can make Mobile apps for each mobile-device/smartphone, which is MOBILE NATIVE APPS, when we have the time and money to learn Java, C++, Objective-C, Android Programming, iOS Programming & Nokia Programming. Or how do you feel?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can I Code With My Phone / Will You Choose Your Girlfriend Over Your Computer? / How To Hack Bank Account In Nigeria In 30 Minutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.