Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,010 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian (4261 Views)

5 Things I Notice Every Time I Argue With Theist(s) / How To Debate Or Argue With An Athiest / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Emusan(m): 9:35pm On Aug 19, 2014
hifaif:
I didn't say the Bible was written by cavemen. Read that particular dialogue again.

Since you want to separate creation account from the rest of the Bible does it mean other books were inspired?

And how did you know that creation story was written by cavemen?

Were you there or you read about it online?
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 19, 2014
Emusan:

Since you want to separate creation account from the rest of the Bible does it mean other books were inspired?

And how did you know that creation story was written by cavemen?

Were you there or you read about it online?

You seem not to be getting me. Pls, read that particular dialogue again.

1 Like

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 19, 2014
Emusan:

Yes we have found the truth on how the universe began because The Creator of the universe still communicates with people who diligently seek Him.

You can see now I know you've been programmed with something "Science Science" as if only the Atheist do science.

Why would s/he imagine on what is real when God still communicates with His people or do you think Christian serve God who can't fellowship with His own?

Do you also think/imagine that scientists can be wrong sometimes?

So if scientists don't know all about our origin how do you want them to know about the Creator?
If God truly exists can scientist design how to know Him or it's God who will tell scientist how He can be known?

Nobody said you should stop searching but as you're searching always see the hand of a Creator and intelligent Design in our universe. Simple!
"For the invisible things of Him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, [even] His everlasting power and divinity; that they may be without excuse: ASV, Rom 1:20

Since you're being searching have you explored our own galaxy finish talk less of the whole universe?

If everyone had decided to take the easy way out, we wouldn't have landed on the moon or learnt about meteors.

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 19, 2014
greatbygrace: According to your post, the difference between a Christian and an atheist is that a Christian has a reference book (Bible) and you don't.

because if you argue with an atheist too, the reason he/she doesn't believe in God is because he doesn't believe in God. No proof as to why he doesn't believe.
Its an endless cycle for you too

But I still prefer to be a Christian because I have Hope and faith in "someone" bigger, and He is LOVE

In all its a choice.

What do you have hope in?

You don't understand circular reasoning. Atheists do not even believe in God so how would they beg the question when you draw them into such an argument?

If you believe in something, the burden of proof is on you.

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Emusan(m): 9:59pm On Aug 19, 2014
hifaif:
If everyone had decided to take the easy way out, we wouldn't have landed on the moon or learnt about meteors.

You or who landed in the moon?
Since people've landed on the moon what impact does it have on human life?

Since you've learnt about the meteors what has man done to prevent meteors falling into Earth?

In fact earth atmosphere was designed to combat meteors is it the work of any man?

People like you quickly attack Christian as if you're the only one who do science. whereas everything you know about science is through internet and the funny part of it is that you've added yourself to those who traveled to the moon. SMH
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by merieam16(f): 10:08pm On Aug 19, 2014
Dis @op must be a philosopher of religion.. I can't see anytin meaninful in wat his sayin,anyways because my bible say so undecided

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 19, 2014
hifaif:

You don't understand circular reasoning. Atheists do not even believe in God so how would they beg the answer when you draw them into such an argument?

If you believe in something, the burden of proof is on you.

I frankly didn't understand circular reasoning so I went to check the meaning on wikipedia, and I realized there is no point arguing with an atheist.

The only thing that can shut an atheist up is to show him God. Even if you show him God, he will still ask for further proof.

I respect your decision.
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by TheBigUrban2: 10:34pm On Aug 19, 2014
greatbygrace:

I frankly didn't understand circular reasoning so I went to check the meaning on wikipedia, and I realized there is no point arguing with an atheist.

The only thing that can shut an atheist up is to show him God. Even if you show him God, he will still ask for further proof.

I respect your decision.

You cant prove God. Simple.

oh...so did wikipedia show you how the bible is the centre for circular argument?

3 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 19, 2014
Emusan:

You or who landed in the moon?
Since people've landed on the moon what impact does it have on human life?

Since you've learnt about the meteors what has man done to prevent meteors falling into Earth?

In fact earth atmosphere was designed to combat meteors is it the work of any man?

People like you quickly attack Christian as if you're the only one who do science. whereas everything you know about science is through internet and the funny part of it is that you've added yourself to those who traveled to the moon. SMH

How have I attacked Christians? Did u read this post at all?

1 Like

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 12:17am On Aug 20, 2014
@Emusan, all your points are invalid.

1 Like

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:19am On Aug 20, 2014
texanomaly:

I've been saying this about Christians for some time now.

The thing is...It's Muslims with the Quran and Muhammad too. Just switch Bible for either of these two.

Atheists don't get off easily either. I'm so sick of the same old arguments.

When I see any of these guys debating anymore, I know what they will say before they say it. It's all been said before on all sides. I tire O!

Why don't you try Satan and see the truth.

3 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by texanomaly(f): 12:29am On Aug 20, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

Why don't you try Satan and see the truth.

When does Satan tell the truth?
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:32am On Aug 20, 2014
Emusan:

You need to reply because you must've been programmed with something it's either you believe in creator God or you're accidentally here by father Big bang.

By the you didn't answer my question, how did you know that Bible was written by cave men?
Were you there or you read it online and believe?

This is where most of NL Atheist problem lies they can quickly judge Christian of believing in Bible written by man BUT forgotten that what they read online was also written by man.

I think they know that what they read was written by man. You are the one that is claiming otherwise.

4 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:32am On Aug 20, 2014
texanomaly:

When does Satan tell the truth?

All the time.

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by texanomaly(f): 12:35am On Aug 20, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

All the time.

Hmmm
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 12:43am On Aug 20, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

I think they know that what they read was written by man. You are the one that is claiming otherwise.

Good one, bro.

1 Like

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 6:43am On Aug 20, 2014
hifaif:

You can't win an argument against somebody who has been programmed to defend an assertion from being challenged or questioned

Skeptic: Why do you believe in the bible?

Christian: Because it is the word of God

Skeptic. How do you know it is the word of God?

Christian: Because the Bible says so.

Circular argument (or straw man argument) in mathematical terms are expressed as:
X is the cause of Y
and Y is the cause of X

or in plain English using the above quote as an example:

The premise is: the Bible is the word of God.
Conclusion is: the Bible says the Bible is the Word of God.

If you look carefully the conclusion is actually a clever reword of the premise. The conclusion ensnares you to accept that the issue or the statement is settled when it is not.

The proof of the premise or no evidence is offered to reach the conclusion. It is also called the straw man argument because if you press further, the proponent would shift the burden to someone you cannot easily contact. For example using the same example the proponent of the argument would defer to God to verify the Bible.

A lot of people use this logical fallacy every day not just Christians

Another example is Ademola was born in Lagos therefore he must be in Lagos. There is also an element of circular argument in 419 letters. It goes like this: I am an African prince, I have $500m to transfer to you but you have to send me $100,000.00 for processing. Duh!

Another example: we know you can extract palm oil from Palm fruits. When someone is asked why do you use palm fruit to make oil? He responds: because it contains palm oil. Using this same logical fallacy a notorious American bank robber when asked: why do you rob the banks? Responds by saying: because that's where the money is!

Fallacious arguments get over people's heads because they somehow ring true even though they are actually false. The moral of the story is that you can't rescue a false statement by tacking on more complicated assumptions.

Here is a classic circular argument made by a politician that appears in a Major U.S. Newspaper:

"Senator Kent Conrad of North Dakota offers a perfectly circular argument: we can't have the public option, because if we do, health care reform won't get the votes of senators like him. 'In a 60-vote environment," he says . . ., 'you've got to attract some Republicans as well as holding virtually all the Democrats together, and that, I don't believe, is possible with a pure public option.'"
(Paul Krugman, "Health Care Showdown." The New York Times, June 22, 2009)
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by philfearon(m): 7:52am On Aug 20, 2014
texanomaly:

I've been saying this about Christians for some time now.

The thing is...It's Muslims with the Quran and Muhammad too. Just switch Bible for either of these two.

Atheists don't get off easily either. I'm so sick of the same old arguments.

When I see any of these guys debating anymore, I know what they will say before they say it. It's all been said before on all sides. I tire O!
So which one are you? Atheist? christian? agnostic? others(specify)?
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 20, 2014
omonuan:

Circular argument (or straw man argument) in mathematical terms are expressed as:
X is the cause of Y
and Y is the cause of X

or in plain English using the above quote as an example:

The premise is: the Bible is the word of God.
Conclusion is: the Bible says the Bible is the Word of God.

If you look carefully the conclusion is actually a clever reword of the premise. The conclusion ensnares you to accept that the issue or the statement is settled when it is not.

The proof of the premise or no evidence is offered to reach the conclusion. It is also called the straw man argument because if you press further, the proponent would shift the burden to someone you cannot easily contact. For example using the same example the proponent of the argument would defer to God to verify the Bible.

A lot of people use this logical fallacy every day not just Christians

Another example is Ademola was born in Lagos therefore he must be in Lagos. There is also an element of circular argument in 419 letters. It goes like this: I am an African prince, I have $500m to transfer to you but you have to send me $100,000.00 for processing. Duh!

Another example: we know you can extract palm oil from Palm fruits. When someone is asked why do you use palm fruit to make oil? He responds: because it contains palm oil. Using this same logical fallacy a notorious American bank robber when asked: why do you rob the banks? Responds by saying: because that's where the money is!

Fallacious arguments get over people's heads because they somehow ring true even though they are actually false. The moral of the story is that you can't rescue a false statement by tacking on more complicated assumptions.

Here is a classic circular argument made by a politician that appears in a Major U.S. Newspaper:

"Senator Kent Conrad of North Dakota offers a perfectly circular argument: we can't have the public option, because if we do, health care reform won't get the votes of senators like him. 'In a 60-vote environment," he says . . ., 'you've got to attract some Republicans as well as holding virtually all the Democrats together, and that, I don't believe, is possible with a pure public option.'"
(Paul Krugman, "Health Care Showdown." The New York Times, June 22, 2009)

A lot of people use it to beg the question not as much for what they so much believe in as Christians

1 Like

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Emusan(m): 8:36am On Aug 20, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

So how do you know what you read is true?

I know the Bible is true because the writers claimed God's inspiration for it AND THE SAME GOD HAS revealed Himself to me.
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Abrahamweb(m): 8:52am On Aug 20, 2014
Emusan:

So how do you know what you read is true?

I know the Bible is true because the writers claimed God's inspiration for it AND THE SAME GOD HAS revealed Himself to me.
Sir,no offence you said "CLAIMED GOD'S INSPIRATION"

3 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Emusan(m): 12:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
Abrahamweb:
Sir,no offence you said "CLAIMED GOD'S INSPIRATION"

Yes I said so!
Or what do you want me to say?
That I'm there with them when they were written their books or I was the one who inspired them.

If I tell you that God told me something about you/anything it's a claim on my own part and what you can do is to verify.

I wasn't there when any of the writer wrote his own book but I've verified their claim.

If I'm wrong why didn't you believe in Bible?
I guess simply because their claim is a myth to you.
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by diarra94(m): 12:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
bro... I love what you've done here. sometimes I feel it is a task for me to un-brainwash the African man because I can't believe someone who believes that god created different languages because some primitive people were trying to build a tower to the heavens will achieve any meaningful development which such limited reasoning.

1 Like

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
diarra94: bro... I love what you've done here. sometimes I feel it is a task for me to un-brainwash the African man because I can't believe someone who believes that god created different languages because some primitive people were trying to build a tower to the heavens will achieve any meaningful development which such limited reasoning.

Thanks bro. I appreciate you.

The creation myth is so silly, yet they believe in it by faith.

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
Emusan:

Yes I said so!
Or what do you want me to say?
That I'm there with them when they were written their books or I was the one who inspired them.

If I tell you that God told me something about you/anything it's a claim on my own part and what you can do is to verify.

I wasn't there when any of the writer wrote his own book but I've verified their claim.

If I'm wrong why didn't you believe in Bible?
I guess simply because their claim is a myth to you.

You didn't verify, you simply swallowed it up with 'the stupidity of an animal' (apologies to George Orwell)

1 Like

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:19pm On Aug 20, 2014
hifaif:

Because they are given to circular reasoning:

Your argument is absurd. It's like saying you cannot prove that Obama lives in the White House by looking into the White House. Logic should tell you that it is by looking into the White House is what will provide the necessary evidence that Obama lives in the White House. cool
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 20, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Your argument is absurd. It's like saying you cannot prove that Obama lives in the White House by looking into the White House. Logic should tell you that it is by looking into the White House is what will provide the necessary evidence that Obama lives in the White House. cool

OMG, please explain how your wack example is guilty of circular reasoning.

If you don't understand this type of reasoning and what it is used for, then you shouldn't formulate examples.

1 Like

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:30pm On Aug 20, 2014
hifaif:

OMG, please explain how your wack example is guilty of circular reasoning.

If you don't understand this type of reasoning and what it is used for, then you shouldn't formulate examples.

If you claim that Christians cannot use 'circular reasoning' by trying to prove the Bible by quoting from the Bible then I say Can you prove that Obama lives in the White House by looking into the White House? It's that simple but I would understand if you don't get it. wink
Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

If you claim that Christians cannot use 'circular reasoning' by trying to prove the Bible by quoting from the Bible then I say Can you prove that Obama lives in the White House by looking into the White House? It's that simple but I would understand if you don't get it. wink

You do not understand circular reasoning.

American presidents live in the white house, Obama is an American president so Obama lives in the white house.

That is not circular reasoning because the premises as indeed the conclusion can be proved.

Can you say the same for this:

Jesus is real, the Bible says so, so Jesus is real

1 Like

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:47pm On Aug 20, 2014
hifaif:

You do not understand circular reasoning.

American presidents live in the white house, Obama is an American president so Obama lives in the white house.

That is not circular reasoning because the premises as indeed the conclusion can be proved.

Can you say the same for this:

Jesus is real, the Bible says so, so Jesus is real

You are just begging the question here. You are saying Christians can't prove the Bible by quoting from the Bible which is the same as saying Americans can't prove Obama lives in the White House by looking into the White House.

It is by looking into the White House that will provide the necessary proof that Obama lives in the White House. The fulfilled prophecies, the amazing consistency and the many scientific statements of the Bible prove it to be the Word of God. They provide evidence that the Bible is supernatural in origin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 20, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

You are just begging the question here. You are saying Christians can't prove the Bible by quoting from the Bible which is the same as saying Americans can't prove Obama lives in the White House by looking into the White House.

It is by looking into the White House that will provide the necessary proof that Obama lives in the White House. The fulfilled prophecies, the amazing consistency and the many scientific statements of the Bible prove it to be the Word of God. They provide evidence that the Bible is supernatural in origin.

The bible is real, I can see it. Its message believed to have come from God is what you should prove.

Please, how are the biblical prophesies different from those made by Nostradamus?

2 Likes

Re: See Why You Can't Argue With A Christian by Emusan(m): 3:21pm On Aug 20, 2014
hifaif:
You didn't verify, you simply swallowed it up with 'the stupidity of an animal' (apologies to George Orwell)

See your life outside!
Now that I told you I've verified their claim you resorted to abuse.

How is it easy for you to swallowed up Big bang story & how can you verify the claim of Big bang?

God is ready to reveal Himself to you only if you can humble yourself so that you may know that what those writers wrote were true.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: Popular Nigerian General Overseer Is Dead / Is There Any Evidence To Ascertain That Mary Is In Heaven / Marine Spirits...what Are They?how To Identify Them And Defeat Them.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.