Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,292 members, 7,836,281 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices (16209 Views)

Nine Reasons Why Some African Ladies End Up Single For Life / Classic Ways African Parents Set Their Kids Straight(pics) / Love, Relationships And Life - The Blessy Jackson Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by ocelot2006(m): 8:58am On Aug 22, 2014
coogar:

your colleague is not ready to marry yet or her groom-to-be is a retärd. i don't see how any parent can stop me from marrying a girl i want unless the girl herself wants to be stopped.

You obviously do not understand the importance of a parent's blessing. You think it's that easy 'cos the man and Lady in question are adults? If you're married or about to get married, you'll understand.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 22, 2014
beeevan:

Chilli why last? The first is very much eligible cheesy

I don't want first son. Too much wahala. The last one is more like a perfect smooth ride. Coupled with his slightly pink lips.
Perfect!

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by hassymo5(m): 9:03am On Aug 22, 2014
lucianohase: This is one african mentality i hate so much,especially when choosing one's life patner...this is exactly what made a close friend of mine marry a very sweet n lavly US lady after he left the shores of Africa.. His parents and the parents of his ex-lover destroyed his former wonderful relationship,which made him vow not to have anything to do with any nigerian lady or a lady bred in africa,just to escape some of these bullshit traditions and prejudice. Nobody knew when he got married except me, though he sent his wedding pictures to his parents later. His wealthy parents were so disappointed,his mum wept...As for me,i was so happy for him.

u see am.? parent are not always right....what will be wil surely be and what wont be wont be.
just like i said b4 i a have seen marriage with parentals blessings colapsing and i have seen marriage without parental blessings succeeding..
Marriage is not about parents,sisters, brothers,,, its about two peope who understood themselve ,Marriage is not about tribe, Religion,ethnicity
Marriage is about Love, understanding, patience with one another.?..Thats the problem of Africa and Nigeria.....always linking, tribe, Religion, rich or poor and ethnicity.....
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by delishpot: 9:04am On Aug 22, 2014
lucianohase: This is one african mentality i hate so much,especially when choosing one's life patner...this is exactly what made a close friend of mine marry a very sweet n lavly US lady after he left the shores of Africa.. His parents and the parents of his ex-lover destroyed his former wonderful relationship,which made him vow not to have anything to do with any nigerian lady or a lady bred in africa,just to escape some of these bullshit traditions and prejudice. Nobody knew when he got married except me, though he sent his wedding pictures to his parents later. His wealthy parents were so disappointed,his mum wept...As for me,i was so happy for him.

Good for him, but what happens to the wife if God forbid something bad happens to the boy and she need his family support? Has he introduced her to his family yet? Do they have a relationship with her? Hmmmn, its ok, lets pray they all get along this time.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 9:05am On Aug 22, 2014
cococandy:
@bolded. BACK OFF angry
No try me o.

See you. You don't know if na triplet boys you go give oga. cheesy .
Anyway, no shaking. My babe dey wella. She ain't pushover. I trust her.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by MrTeymee(m): 9:22am On Aug 22, 2014
EverybOdy dey warn me say make ah no marry ESAN girl and ah love one..are Esan people that bad??
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by larj(m): 9:25am On Aug 22, 2014
i usually dont qoute,reply or insult people online,
and wat came to mind after reading your post is ; What a foolish statement .
Dis post was meant for u, but u had to show your ethical bigotry.
Shi o
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by lucianohase(m): 9:26am On Aug 22, 2014
delishpot:

Good for him, but what happens to the wife if God forbid something bad happens to the boy and she need his family support? Has he introduced her to his family yet? Do they have a relationship with her? Hmmmn, its ok, lets pray they all get along this time.
His mum later went to US to see for herself and could do nothing but accept things the way she saw it,as for the dad, the last time i went to visit him 3yrs ago,while we were discussing,he said,"it has happened,we pushed him to it" ! Like i said earlier,i was happy for him and im still happy for him. Today,he's got two lavly kids,he works in a big Infotech Firm n the wife , a medical doctor (a pediatrician). They are even planning to come to nigeria according to what he told me. To me,he made a good choice!!

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Eyop: 9:28am On Aug 22, 2014
MrTeymee: EverybOdy dey warn me say make ah no marry ESAN girl and ah love one..are Esan people that bad??

Investigation will do justice to your post. I don't believe completely that all ESAN people are bad as you've been told but like i will always say,investigate the family thoroughly and if you get a Green light,then go ahead but if Red,withdraw immediately. Marriage is a life time thing and not a game.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Eyop: 9:30am On Aug 22, 2014
lucianohase: His mum later went to US to see for herself and could do nothing but accept things the way she saw it,as for the dad, the last time i went to visit him 3yrs ago,while we were discussing,he said,"it has happened,we pushed him to it" ! Like i said earlier,i was happy for him and im still happy for him. Today,he's got two lavly kids,he works in a big Infotech Firm n the wife , a medical doctor (a pediatrician). They are even planning to come to nigeria according to what he told me. To me,he made a good choice!!

Lucky him and he should thank his stars that things went well for him but if not,pepper will be an understatement.

2 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by MrTeymee(m): 9:31am On Aug 22, 2014
Eyop:

Investigation will do justice to your post. I don't believe completely that all ESAN people are bad as you've been told but like i will always say,investigate the family thoroughly and if you get a Green light,then go ahead but if Red,withdraw immediately. Marriage is a life time thing and not a game.
Thanks a lOt...buh an average Esan family might be bad cuz evrywhere ah go dey always have dis bad report. Even Benin parents don't let deir men marry Esan girls
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Eyop: 9:35am On Aug 22, 2014
MrTeymee:
Thanks a lOt...buh an average Esan family might be bad cuz evrywhere ah go dey always have dis bad report. Even Benin parents don't let deir men marry Esan girls

You are not even sure of what you want. You've been told before @ the bolded in Red so by now i believe you have options. Nigeria as a country has 36 states and recently more states have been created so if the Esan babe is having Red flags,then you have options to choose from. Good luck brother in whatsoever decision you decide to make or take.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by MrTeymee(m): 9:39am On Aug 22, 2014
Eyop:

You are not even sure of what you want. You've been told before @ the bolded in Red so by now i believe you have options. Nigeria as a country has 36 states and recently more states have been created so if the Esan babe is having Red flags,then you have options to choose from. Good luck brother in whatsoever decision you decide to make or take.
Aiites thanx a lot
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by lucianohase(m): 9:44am On Aug 22, 2014
Eyop:

Lucky him and he should thank his stars that things went well for him but if not,pepper will be an understatement.
hahahaaaaaaaa....na u for pepper am? Lol
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by cococandy(f): 9:52am On Aug 22, 2014
grin triplet boys.
Chillisauce:

See you. You don't know if na triplet boys you go give oga. cheesy .
Anyway, no shaking. My babe dey wella. She ain't pushover. I trust her.

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Eyop: 10:15am On Aug 22, 2014
lucianohase: hahahaaaaaaaa....na u for pepper am? Lol
Not me ooooh but assuming things didn't go well as a result of disobedience it will be a combination of pepper+tatashe grin grin then running from church to church will be a regular routine

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by mrmatt(m): 10:55am On Aug 22, 2014
I could remember my friend's brother dated a Yoruba girl for years and when he wanted to marry, he told the girl that her mum said if he marries another tribe she will commit suicide.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by amiskurie(m): 11:14am On Aug 22, 2014
IN OTHER NEWS

GHANAIAN WOMEN : GUNNING FOR NIGERIAN MEN SINCE 1862
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by donpy(m): 11:29am On Aug 22, 2014
Parents are external factors that either act positively or negatively on relationship so I strongly believe dat if love is the basis of the relationship den both parties should be firm buh vry respectful to their parents on their decision and above all they should be convinced both emotionally and spiritually...
Trust me sometimes marriages work out out of the favor of parents and within God's favor buh God's always find a way of bringing back the parents into the relationship with love
takie
Paul
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by 360command: 11:44am On Aug 22, 2014
Woged2005: other countries discriminate against Nigerians, (just for emphasis) etc. Haba! Some of us Africans are way too full of prejudice and hate. Sometime I wonder if this is why we always have plagues, disease epidemics, wars, massacres, hunger, famine, pogroms, etc despite being very religious and blessed with resources.

Africans, please can we stop prejudices to let blessings flow into the continent? God is love! Stop destroying dreams with prejudices!
it is shocking to hear that most of this african parent would prefer to give their daughter out to a lebanese man than a Nigerian. But this is not to say that african women do not get married to Nigerians.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by delishpot: 11:46am On Aug 22, 2014
lucianohase: His mum later went to US to see for herself and could do nothing but accept things the way she saw it,as for the dad, the last time i went to visit him 3yrs ago,while we were discussing,he said,"it has happened,we pushed him to it" ! Like i said earlier,i was happy for him and im still happy for him. Today,he's got two lavly kids,he works in a big Infotech Firm n the wife , a medical doctor (a pediatrician). They are even planning to come to nigeria according to what he told me. To me,he made a good choice!!

Ok. Good his mom doesnt mind. Atleast she and the wife have a peaceful relationship. That is all that matters.
I am glad things worked out for him.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by zurine(f): 12:00pm On Aug 22, 2014
wow
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by daveP(m): 12:25pm On Aug 22, 2014
Its a very tough, and hard issue.

And i do wonder why its@ marriage some parents true colors show.

Imagine a man waiting till 42yrs of age. His over strict father swore he mustnt marry a deltan. And he was in love with one. He met her when her was 25yrs. And waited till his dad died before he did a lil wedding with his deltan-love. His mother was inbetween,but the he won her over.
Or........

A lady studies abroad and falls in love with a jamaican, haitian. They love themselves and when parents as her it time to come marry Kola, Ebuka or Nuhu. She drops d bombshell. Father enters shock= stroke. The family crumbles and the lady is blamed( maybe, maybe not)

or This Igbo guy studies abroad, finds a yoruba lover. And they flow. But deep within, the guy knows what his father has required of him before he even travelled abroad. He agreed, but time and experience changes his perspective about everything. He becomes a bad son if he insist on marrying funke, or it adds to the prejudice that funke's parents have about Igbo( father: you se funke, i told you.....)

my point is- is it worth it sometimes. Must he marry the same age father married?( rampant in some places, you refuse, you kick against the goads).

Ave attended a few weddings and either one of the parents are sick,etc some dont even attend at all. Some abadon their parents in old age after confirmation from ' Prophets of old, prayer warriors etc' all adding to the fire. And the question remains. When is it goina stop? When?
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:41pm On Aug 22, 2014
I think parents are being blamed for no reason , like some say here , they ain't kids, therefore the prejudices she has are her own prejudices not her parents ..

Furthermore prejudices are what keep our tribal identity alive tho
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Woged2005(f): 1:58pm On Aug 22, 2014
coogar:

your colleague is not ready to marry yet or her groom-to-be is a retärd. i don't see how any parent can stop me from marrying a girl i want unless the girl herself wants to be stopped.

My dear, every girl's dream is to have a blissful wedding day, with the hall full with friends, relatives and families from both sides. It's a lady's best day she has dreamed for many years. Not everyone wants a wedding celebrated in a restaurant by 14 friends because family is protesting. So while a man may not mind a small wedding with some drama, ladies get destroyed when families fight. So you may not understand if all your friends had such a great well-attended wedding and yours is rocking like this. It's psychologically depleting.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Litmus: 2:08pm On Aug 22, 2014
Woged2005: A young female colleague from french-speaking Cameroon is in love with a very decent Nigerian man, educated with a good job. They are making plans to get married before Easter next year. Now the girl's parent (especially her mom) is way in the middle of the whole thing, discouraging her daughter, warning her, and even making threats to her to stay away from any Nigerian man because they can't be trusted. In fact, she vowed no one in her family will date a Nigerian man. These young lovers are completely devastated and running to anyone who could help appease her parents but all is falling on deaf ears.
[s]
We Africans complain of racism and discrimination abroad but honestly from what I see, we would have been worse than some of the people we criticize. Look at how we discriminate against people from other tribes, religion, sexual orientation, even people of other social class. Rich parents warn their daughters not to date boys from poor families. Yoruba discriminates against Igbo, Igbo discriminates against Hausa, Hausa discriminates against Igbos, Muslims discriminates against Christians, Pentecostals discriminate against Catholics, other countries discriminate against Nigerians, (just for emphasis) etc. Haba! Some of us Africans are way too full of prejudice and hate. Sometime I wonder if this is why we always have plagues, disease epidemics, wars, massacres, hunger, famine, pogroms, etc despite being very religious and blessed with resources.

Africans, please can we stop prejudices to let blessings flow into the continent? God is love! Stop destroying dreams with prejudices![/s]

The Cameroonian mother is indirectly right. In many instances, Nigerian men that marry women of other African nations are lazy wimps. Marrying Nigerian women can be very expensive and a lot of responsibility is demanded of a Nigerian husband in terms of working real hard, making money and providing for a wider family. Faced with the enormous expectation and discipline required to become a Nigerian husband to Nigerian woman, Some Nigerian men take the easy option of marrying to women of other African nations because these women are like a dime a dozen. Such men are not to be trusted as real men, they are potential none-providers.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Woged2005(f): 2:18pm On Aug 22, 2014
Litmus:

The Cameroonian mother is indirectly right. In many instances, Nigerian men that marry women of other African nations are lazy wimps. Marrying Nigerian women can be very expensive and a lot of responsibility is demanded of a Nigerian husband in terms of working, making money and providing for a wider family. Faced with the enormous expectation and discipline required to become a Nigerian husband to Nigerian woman, Some Nigerian men take the easy option of marrying to women of African nations that are a dime a dozen. Such men are not to be trusted as real men, they are potential none-providers.

Huh? .... , I'm not too sure about what you wrote above. I have many hard-working Nigerian male friends who married ladies from other countries and still takes care of extended families. I am not sure of any lady who will go out there looking for a lazy man to marry, or a man who will be out there searching for a woman who will feed him. It's more of proximity that influences who your friends are, whom you date and and whom you end up marrying...you end up picking from people you are surrounded by irrespective of their color, or country, else you have to travel to marry someone from your country or tribe. So I beg to differ.

4 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Litmus: 2:22pm On Aug 22, 2014
Woged2005:

Huh? .... , I'm not too sure about what you wrote above. I have many hard-working Nigerian male friends who married ladies from other countries and still takes care of extended families. I am not sure of any lady who will go out there looking for a lazy man to marry, or a man who will be out there searching for a woman who will feed him. It's more of proximity that influences who your friends are, whom you date and and whom you end up marrying...you end up picking from people you are surrounded by irrespective of their color, or country, else you have to travel to marry someone from your country or tribe. So I beg to differ.

Sweet heart, life is full of exceptional circumstance but the bitter truth is that few decent Nigerian man will marry outside of Nigeria, when Nigeria is so full of beautiful, sophisticated regal women, unless they simply cant hack the demands. Such men are best avoided.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by beeevan: 2:41pm On Aug 22, 2014
cococandy:
@bolded. BACK OFF angry
No try me o.

Don't mind Chilli, anyi ma onye bu onye wink.

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by beeevan: 2:42pm On Aug 22, 2014
Chillisauce:

I don't want first son. Too much wahala. The last one is more like a perfect smooth ride. Coupled with his slightly pink lips.
Perfect!

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by lucianohase(m): 2:50pm On Aug 22, 2014
Eyop:
Not me ooooh but assuming things didn't go well as a result of disobedience it will be a combination of pepper+tatashe grin grin then running from church to church will be a regular routine
hahahaaaaaaaaaa......i hope say no be u go grind am? Abeg that one no go happen o!!!! Lol........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Mother Inlaw / Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby / MY FEARS ARE GETTING REAL.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.