Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices (16205 Views)

Nine Reasons Why Some African Ladies End Up Single For Life / Classic Ways African Parents Set Their Kids Straight(pics) / Love, Relationships And Life - The Blessy Jackson Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 22, 2014
SAMBARRY: you like fight pass your name. Ahannnn shocked grin

I rebook rebuke you in the name of. ........
Receive your deliverance cool
once in ur life u got that word correctly.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by femi9naija(m): 3:38pm On Aug 22, 2014
They even discriminate about ur spouse's height sef. I tire for our African parents
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 22, 2014
Woged2005:

But prejudice is often based on ignorance, and ignorance is a bad disease. I understand "honor your father and mother" contained in the Bible. So how the two lovers feel doesn't matter in this case? How will you feel if you tried to board a half-empty plane in say Italy, and a hostess walks up and take you to the seat next to the toilet because you are African? You probably would raise hell. We ladies are usually on the receiving end of all this drama especially when your family doesn't want you to be with whom you want to be with, then you marry whom they want and suffer the rest of your life. Can't we use this our over-righteous to solve the myriads of problems plaguing out continent?
I have not seen a rich guy being rejected by any lady for marriage. You know money covers the young women's senses and her mother has learnt.

They all wanna marry the rich and comfortably-off dudes not minding habits and how d cash rolls in...when d chips are down they run back to mama crying...I didn't know... he said he loved me. Prevention is now!

I love your last sentence though.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by litetias(m): 4:15pm On Aug 22, 2014
Fact is, if I was not Nigerian I probably wouldn't want my daughter marrying one. I'd probably think, just like the rest of the world does, that they're all criminals
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Woged2005(f): 4:16pm On Aug 22, 2014
ferdimako:
I have not seen a rich guy being rejected by any lady for marriage. You know money covers the young women's senses and her mother has learnt.

They all wanna marry the rich and comfortably-off dudes not minding habits and how d cash rolls in...when d chips are down they run back to mama crying...I didn't know... he said he loved me. Prevention is now!

I love your last sentence though.

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

True talk though. That's just it. We all like money no matter how much we pretend. The only bad thing is when you allow that love for money blind you and you are no longer rational. I have said it before that there should be a difference between whom you can date, and whom you can marry. If a boyfriend wants to lavish me with money and gifts, let it rain...but I'll be very cautious marrying such a man if I find out that's just his habit because he will surely waste our family savings on mistresses. cheesy Smart girls may date a dude for money but will never marry for money. Remember I said 'Smart girls'

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Woged2005(f): 4:18pm On Aug 22, 2014
litetias: Fact is, if I was not Nigerian I probably wouldn't want my daughter marrying one. I'd probably think, just like the rest of the world does, that they're all criminals

Ooh.. Jehovah!!! So if we also know we are like that, why are we always proud of such a negative quality and boast about it?

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by litetias(m): 4:27pm On Aug 22, 2014
Woged2005:

Ooh.. Jehovah!!! So if we also know we are like that, why are we always proud of such a negative quality and boast about it?
wetin persin go do nau?
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by litetias(m): 4:43pm On Aug 22, 2014
Woged2005:

Nigerians are not really that bad. It's our hurry to move up to a higher class and earn the respect of our family and others that lead us to murky waters.

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by itstpia1: 4:47pm On Aug 22, 2014
Never heard of cameroon preferring not to marry nigerians though.

I should think nigerians would be considered highly eligible marriage partners there.

Its only asian countries which make some form of resistance to nigerian men once in a while ( hasn't stopped much however).
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by whytepawn1(m): 7:20pm On Aug 22, 2014
coogar:

how unlucky the poor orphans must be then..
everyone of them is doomed in their marriage since there are no parents to bless the union.

you make too much sentiments - if my parents or her parents don't agree with our union, there are plenty of people who can stand in as parents on the day.

hell, i am sure i would be able to find parents for hire here on nairaland with as little as N50,000. is it not to pray & wish us well? what else is there?
I couldn't help but comment on your post. parental blessings is important in any union and it not uncommon to see parents vehemently Stop or prevent their children from marrying a person of their choice. ..sometimes too we should look at things from their angle. but the issue of "renting parents "would be the height of stupidity and irresponsibility.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 22, 2014
Woged2005:

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

True talk though. That's just it. We all like money no matter how much we pretend. The only bad thing is when you allow that love for money blind you and you are no longer rational. I have said it before that there should be a difference between whom you can date, and whom you can marry. If a boyfriend wants to lavish me with money and gifts, let it rain...but I'll be very cautious marrying such a man if I find out that's just his habit because he will surely waste our family savings on mistresses. cheesy Smart girls may date a dude for money but will never marry for money. Remember I said 'Smart girls'
I don't believe...the other day... a woman was lamenting. I don't know Why I married into this family. In my mind I said I know y...d hubby na officer in Nigerian army...d hubby sister married an airforce guy...who married a riff raff? nobody. Now hubby siblings are over depending and she isn't seeing any space. hahahaha.

True smart girls make a career and don't completely depend on men to exist
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by horlabiyi(m): 8:29pm On Aug 22, 2014
Dear OP,kindly remove the " AFRICAN " from your thread. Things like this happen everywhere in the world,there's a lady from Iraq and a man from Germany. They met on the net and was into relationship. The parents of the lady stopped the relationship because they don't want their daughter to marry a german/white man.

1 Like

Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 22, 2014
Woged2005:

But prejudice is often based on ignorance, and ignorance is a bad disease. I understand "honor your father and mother" contained in the Bible. So how the two lovers feel doesn't matter in this case? How will you feel if you tried to board a half-empty plane in say Italy, and a hostess walks up and take you to the seat next to the toilet because you are African? You probably would raise hell. We ladies are usually on the receiving end of all this drama especially when your family doesn't want you to be with whom you want to be with, then you marry whom they want and suffer the rest of your life. Can't we use this our over-righteous to solve the myriads of problems plaguing out continent?

What the elders see sitting down, the young would not see even if he/she climbs the tallest tree.

African proverbs and it comes true most at times. Never underrate the words of elders (which in this case, your parents).
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by ibedun: 9:03pm On Aug 22, 2014
I am an EGBA man. My parents warned me not to an IJEBU lady.

I did just that, met and married an Ijebu lady. Told my dad to get lost.

Over the 10 year I saw everything my parents warned me against. I broke the marriage and moved on.

I am married to an OSUN woman now. Though she has this clingy mama that I would rather throw into the lagoon.

But sha everybody is happy now. If it doesn't work out, you have other options till you die.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:43pm On Aug 22, 2014
Eyop:
Not me ooooh but assuming things didn't go well as a result of disobedience it will be a combination of pepper+tatashe grin grin then running from church to church will be a regular routine
At the bolded, it won't happen cos Americans don't believe such. Atleast the guy doesn't have to worry about his wife's family a la spiritual things.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Eyop: 9:53pm On Aug 22, 2014
ferhyntorlah: At the bolded, it won't happen cos Americans don't believe such. Atleast the guy doesn't have to worry about his wife's family a la spiritual things.
I understand your point but you are seeing it from the American angle but remember that the guy's parents aren't Americans and my previous post can still happen regardless of the person's location but it's a 50:50 thing. Sincerely parent blessing is very important in any Union except they aren't alive to witness the union. However this ur DP almost blinded my eye grin grin
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 22, 2014
Coogar,

Orphans are not doomed because there are no parents to bless their union who even said that? You, not me. Can you honestly say to one of your parents to hell with you I'm going to marry this girl with or without your blessings? I can't but if you can that's fine. No quarrel from me on that.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by SAMBARRY: 11:39pm On Aug 22, 2014
ferdimako:
once in UR life U got that word correctly.
Prof prof grin

professor itk grin

you see your life outside at the capitalized grin
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 23, 2014
MrTeymee: EverybOdy dey warn me say make ah no marry ESAN girl and ah love one..are Esan people that bad??

na Becos esan girls too fair in complexion so many ppl believe esan girls na marine spirits dem be grin
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by bukatyne(f): 7:29pm On Aug 23, 2014
If I was not a Nigerian, I would neither marry one nor allow any of my kids to (Especially my daughters)

It is easier for a fellow Nigerian to investigate the guy and family than a non Nigerian

And almost every Nigerian guy is decent in courtship (I give them that)
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by fayahsoul: 9:50pm On Aug 23, 2014
hmmmm....well parents are human beings hence some can be selfish. This sort only thinks about how their prospective inlaws would benefit their socio-economic or political interests at the expense of their childs happiness. When faced with parental opposition, the child should examine the parents motive(s) carefully. If it's sound and selfless then it ought to be taken into consideration but if not then just jump and pass o. Dem no be your God.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by SenatorJames(m): 12:28pm On Aug 24, 2014
It will be very bad to generalize that over 60million grown up men in Nigeria are bad.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
sihom:

Guys do not underestimate or take for granted the blessing of a parent over an intended union. Sometimes when they rant & rave there's some gut feeling at work about that potential spouse we as children have presented and want to marry. Gut feelings are hard to explain but its a strong feeling telling you something is not right even when you can't place your finger on what it is.

Parents often see things which we are unable to, because of that emotion called loved. I've seen some relatives & acquaintances run into some serious gbese because they ignored the blessing of a parent. Remember these people took care of you from infancy to adulthood, no man or woman can ever love you like they do.

The least we can do is honour them and try to win them over where potential spouses are concerned.

ABEG SPARE ME THIS BULLSHIIT. Sure, our parents have magical powers of perception beyond we 'mere children'. This is the sort of illiterate GARBAGE that allows parents to destroy the lives of their offspring by denying them their independence and hence their dignity and full worth as adult human beings. The sooner we rid ourselves of this primitive attitude of adult subservience to parents, the better.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by coogar: 10:19am On Sep 18, 2014
sihom: Coogar,
Orphans are not doomed because there are no parents to bless their union who even said that? You, not me. Can you honestly say to one of your parents to hell with you I'm going to marry this girl with or without your blessings? I can't but if you can that's fine. No quarrel from me on that.

so how do orphans cop their marital bliss when they had no parents to bless their marriage? how's it different from a couple who did their wedding without the blessing of their parents? this is logic my friend - stop attaching ridiculous superstitions to logical issues.

a marriage would do very well without any parents blessings. millions of marriages with the parental blessings have crashed in nigeria so what's the importance of the parental blessings? this is why nigeria is the way it is....zero logic, 100% superstition.
Re: Some African Parents Destroy Beautiful Love Relationships With Their Prejudices by Siscooh: 12:02am On Jan 07, 2017
Yes! An average Cameroonian parent will act that way with a Nigerian suitor. They don't trust them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Mother Inlaw / Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby / MY FEARS ARE GETTING REAL.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.