Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,557 members, 7,823,448 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview (2491 Views)

A Student Scores 107 In Jamb And Gets Admission To Study Med/sug In Obafemi Awol / LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU / Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 19, 2014
22 year old Nigerian graduate Alfred Ajani has been inundated with offers of interviews after taking a radical approach to job hunting, Daily Mail reports.
Alfred said he's applied for over 300 positions since getting a degree in marketing in May this year and has been unlucky. Determined to land his dream job, he decided to hand out CVs to company bosses commuting into the City of London through Waterloo Station this morning.
Alfred stood at the entrance to the busy station holding a sign stating:'Marketing graduate (BA Hons 2:1 Coventry Uni) Ask for CV.'His direct approach received a warm response from commuters, with many stopping to discuss potential positions. Continue...

Alfred, who lives not far from the station, said: 'I graduated in May and have been applying for jobs ever since, but it's very difficult at the moment.
'The only ones that have come up have not really been what I wanted, I'm interested in marketing and advertising.
'I realised that there are thousands of students out there using the same old methods of applying for jobs online and through recruitment agencies and so I thought I'd try something different.
'I got up early and went to the station. At first people just looked at me but after about 10 minutes people starting stopping and talking. They said they'd never seen anything like it before and were really impressed.
'One woman worked in advertising and took a CV and another guy ran back from his train and said he'd walked past but had started thinking and might have something for me.'
Alfred added: 'I've already had some phone calls and have got an int erview booked for later today. The support was great, one man even bought me a cup of tea and told me "good luck".'
Alfred has worked as a waiter while studying and has taken positions as an intern in the music industry in a bid to boost his job prospects.

He asked friends to help him hand out his CVs, but thinks they were put off by the early start.
A photo of him giving his phone number to a passing commuter circulated on Twitter this morning, with website users offering their support.
After seeing the photo, one Twitter user wrote: 'Good on him for putting himself out there!! Time waits for no man!! Love it!!'
Another added: 'It's a good idea. I would've hired him into my business straight away if I saw him.'
Olympic medallist Kelly Sotherton retweeted the photo, and motivational speaker Gavin Ingham wrote: 'He will no doubt get interviews and offers whilst others sit at home moaning. Good on him.'
Culled from UK Daily Mail

Source: http://lindaikeji..in/2014/08/nigerian-graduate-holds-up-sign.html#more

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 19, 2014
There's picture of alfred..... I believe it grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by macsika: 11:54pm On Aug 19, 2014
frankben: There's picture of alfred..... I believe it grin grin
that's why I love nigerians, always creative and thinking out of the box and never losing hope

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by ayukdaboss(m): 12:00am On Aug 20, 2014
Who wouldn't want to employ a marketer with such a smart advertising idea?? Of course everyone will.

Moral Of This Lesson
For all un-employed graduates out there, you should learn from this. Some people might have graduated with better standings than him but his smart idea brought him to where he is.

That doesn't mean every Unemployed Nigerian should carry a placard and inscribe their qualifications on it standing by the road. In Nigeria you might stand there the whole day nobody will even send you an SMS. People might snap and upload your pictures on social networks as a Corporate/New Mad-Man.

Stop being a nagging unemployed graduate and start creating your own smart ideas just like Seun who created this forum and is now making it big, one day we might just celebrate you just like our brother here. He has one head...You can do it too #OneLove

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by sanmitee(m): 12:03am On Aug 20, 2014
I respect u bro.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by tbmas(m): 12:06am On Aug 20, 2014
F.P material,u myt wnt 2 luk into d topic, mayb bcuz itz incomplete
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Nobody: 12:15am On Aug 20, 2014
Nigerians! We always make a way where there is none. I expect some smart Nigerians to take a cue from this by googling the house/office address of Dangote, Adenuga etc. and do the needful smiley

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 20, 2014
*thinking*
Make I go wuse/Berger?.. undecided
Abi Area one? embarassed
Abi Almighty Nyanya bus stop? Maybe e fit work for me too oº°˚! embarassed embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 20, 2014
talking about taking d bull by its horn...very clear example..

very bold step i must say..i doubt i can do same..

this is the Nigerian attitude.. bold smart creative nd just being Nigerian..

its in our DNA..Nigeria may not be so so great but Nigerians aresmiley

PROUDLY NIGERIAN BORN smileysmileysmiley

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by ayukdaboss(m): 12:35am On Aug 20, 2014
tchidi: *thinking*
Abi Area one? embarassed
Abi Almighty Nyanya bus stop? Maybe e fit work for me too oº°˚! embarassed embarassed
You must not also carry a Placard like him. I'm sure he wasn't thinking about anybody when he was cooking up this idea so I'd expect you to do same if you really intend to succeed and excel.
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Nobody: 12:44am On Aug 20, 2014
o.m.G..he's already making waves..

really courageous...

never say never attitude.. #nigeriansmiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by strangest(m): 3:41am On Aug 20, 2014
Nice one
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Nobody: 4:53am On Aug 20, 2014
That's gueirella marketing speaking

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by chinkichun: 5:22am On Aug 20, 2014
He indeed studied marketing and he's put it to good use. A good market sells itself. That's what the guy just did. I'm proud and happy for him. All the best bro.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Willdidi(m): 5:34am On Aug 20, 2014
Most of our graduates in Nigeria will be too proud to do something of this nature, there will say what if my friends or schoolmates or family members see me, there rather sit at home press their phone from morning till nite and lament there are no jobs, while others are using their own hands to create their own destiny. He only graduated in may this year I presume and he is making so much effort to land a job, while an average Nigeria graduate will tell u he just finished service in june he needs 3months to rest first before he starts job hunting, resting in his fathers house eating 3 square meal and getting fatter n bigger than the person providing the resources in the house.
And another point the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, this is a graduate from the university with a second class upper division from a university over there yet still finding it hard 2 land his dream job, so for those thinking travelling over seas will solve all their lifes problem is not also easy over there, u might still live a much more better and decent life here in Nigeria if u work hard and are determine times are hard everywhere. So stay focus and work hard then the sky is only your begining.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by ignis: 5:53am On Aug 20, 2014
There is a thin line between being smart and being mad.
What works for Alfred might not work for others. Imitators beware. If you do same, it could land you in a psychiatrist hospital.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by hatux: 6:10am On Aug 20, 2014
Nice one there..
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Godmother(f): 6:33am On Aug 20, 2014
If this happened in naija, copycats would start buying placards and litter the streets cheesy and when it doesn't work for them they will claim its spiritual
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by angelTI(f): 6:41am On Aug 20, 2014
I bet this method will not work in Nigeria. I love his courage....
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Joy83(m): 7:03am On Aug 20, 2014
Willdidi: Most of our graduates in Nigeria will be too proud to do something of this nature, there will say what if my friends or schoolmates or family members see me, there rather sit at home press their phone from morning till nite and lament there are no jobs, while others are using their own hands to create their own destiny. He only graduated in may this year I presume and he is making so much effort to land a job, while an average Nigeria graduate will tell u he just finished service in june he needs 3months to rest first before he starts job hunting, resting in his fathers house eating 3 square meal and getting fatter n bigger than the person providing the resources in the house.
And another point the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, this is a graduate from the university with a second class upper division from a university over there yet still finding it hard 2 land his dream job, so for those thinking travelling over seas will solve all their lifes problem is not also easy over there, u might still live a much more better and decent life here in Nigeria if u work hard and are determine times are hard everywhere. So stay focus and work hard then the sky is only your begining.
Frankly speaking, that method can work in such environment where even d rich patronize public transport, and being in such environment where relatives, friends, schoolmates as u mentioned are not common.
So doing same in Nigeria is out of point. Don't say its a pride wen Nigeria graduate can't do the same or another way that portrays that picture.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Dreyl(m): 7:04am On Aug 20, 2014
One in a million,it's rare to see guys like this,kudos bro the sky will surely be ur starting point,i believe u will get their someday.
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by NewDelhi(m): 7:46am On Aug 20, 2014
That's cool and innovative tho. But if na naija, who go even look una side. That's why this country doesn't look like it will develop at all.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 20, 2014
K
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by tokaiki: 7:57am On Aug 20, 2014
It takes a lot of courage and creative thinking to come up with that.I read about a couple of people who toed that line and never regretted their action. Think out of the box.

Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by ayukdaboss(m): 8:22am On Aug 20, 2014
ignis: There is a thin line between being smart and being mad.
What works for Alfred might not work for others. Imitators beware. If you do same, it could land you in a psychiatrist hospital.
I have already told them grin
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by rigarmortis: 8:40am On Aug 20, 2014
tchidi: *thinking*
Abi Area one? embarassed

if you try am for wuse/berger na aristos and konji men go dey price you.

if you try am for area one na touts go dey taunt you.

if you try am for nyanya this period, na soldiers go carry you.

you if try am in front of mirror, with your door locked, I beg you again nor try am outside please.
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by maestroferddi: 9:11am On Aug 20, 2014
ignis: There is a thin line between being smart and being mad.
Smart observation.

Only God can crown effort with success/result.
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 20, 2014
Haha! That's the spirit!!!!!
Nigerians. Surviving under any condition since 00BC
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by agabaI23(m): 10:42am On Aug 20, 2014
Well done smart boy
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Elnino4ladies: 10:57am On Aug 20, 2014
D boi is veri smart....dis shiit may nt work in nigeria tho...
Re: Nigerian Graduate Holds Up Sign Advertising Himself And Gets a job interview by Dannyxy(m): 11:12am On Aug 20, 2014
look at how smartly dressed he is, brilliant tactics.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Collective Pics Of Schools Renovated And Built By Gov.rochas Of Imo State / Delsu 2016/2017 supplementary List / Individual Experience, Not A Vouch: How To Order Gcms Note

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.