Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan (2068 Views)

Fuel Re-sellers Razed By Fire In Isolo Lagos State - Graphic Photos / Nnamdi Kanu Pictured Kissing A Lady Publicly In London / Adulteress And Lover Stripped N*ked Publicly In Benue State (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by jbaur24: 4:08pm On Aug 21, 2014
IBADAN — SEVERAL bush meat sellers, yesterday, proved to sellers and buyers at the popular Aleshinloye market in Ibadan that their wares (bush meat) were not infected with Ebola virus as they ate pieces in public to dismiss the claim.

Bushmeat1

Their action attracted other sellers in the market who empathized with them, saying the sudden spell cast on bush meat was not with good motive.

They vowed never to abandon the trade they have been practising for at least 50 years. This came as members of the National Hunters Association of Nigeria dismissed as non-issue, saying in Africa, nobody eats meat until it is well cooked.

Speaking through the two associations, Iyalode Bush Meat Sellers Association, Alhaja Risikat Odeyemi, aged 67, and Chief Olasheinde Afolabi Ishola said: “After cooking the meat, it is also roasted and dried for several hours, this does not allow any virus to survive.

“Help us ask them to prove to us that after roasting, cooking and drying it on fire, the virus can still survive. They should stop saying things they don’t know. If they don’t believe us, let them tell the whole world to stop eating all living things such as fish and meat but depend solely on vegetables so that they would not die.”

Odeyemi said she had been in the business for the past five decades and had never heard of anything negative about their meat which many doctors had previously certified fit for human consumption.

According to her, “it was my great grandmother that introduced me to this business and I have used it to do many good things in life. I can’t leave this business because doing so would tantamount to disobeying my ancestors.

We have sold all kinds of animal like the elephant, porcupine, grasscutter, antelope.” When asked about patronage in this Ebola period, she lamented that they had been living from hand to mouth since the problem started.

According tio her, “before they brought this Ebola issue, many customers would park their exotic cars here waiting patiently until we attend to them. Many a time, we would dress meat newly supplied in their presence.

They would queue here waiting for their turn. “But, now see how silent this place is. Look at the time now, for the past two weeks, we, including our children, have been eating our meat and nothing happened to us.

But, how many can we eat? This is why we are pleading with the government and our numerous customers that our meat don’t have Ebola. “It is the government that should be blamed for the outbreak.

If they had monitored our borders well, Patrick Sawyer, who imported the virus, would not have been granted entry into our country. Now, we are suffering for their laxity. It is not fair.”

Hunters lament The hunters too claimed that since the issue came up, the bush meat sellers had not made any demand at all and “if they don’t patronise us, who will buy the meat?” While corroborating their claims, the Otun Balogun of hunters, Chief Balogun Ege, said: “We are eating bush meat and nothing has happened to us. Since the issue started, business has been very dull.

Nothing for us at all and this is the trade we use in training our children. “Since the sellers are not buying from us again, it is unwise to go for hunting. Who will buy it from us?”
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/ebola-sellers-eat-bush-meat-publicly-ibadan/#sthash.fCA773Id.dpuf

Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by jbaur24: 4:11pm On Aug 21, 2014
No wonder the ailment is so much in that side of the country!

4 Likes

Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by redsun(m): 4:16pm On Aug 21, 2014
It is time for them to down their den guns now,start domesticating and leave the wild animals to thrive in the wild. And there should be some kind of monitored assistance from the government for those affected by the new trends.

Situation Luke this could be a very good avenue for positive changes if the opportunities are taken.
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by GeeOh(f): 4:21pm On Aug 21, 2014
nija govt,are u waitin 4 dis pple to catch ebola b4 u interven,wats d 1.9b for,or u want them to die of hunger
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by jbaur24: 4:21pm On Aug 21, 2014
You mean GEJ? What is the duty of the state government in that state?

GeeOh: nija govt,are u waitin 4 dis pple to catch ebola b4 u interven,wats d 1.9b for,or u want them to die of hunger

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by Ayekotoo(m): 4:26pm On Aug 21, 2014
And then what? Senseless thread from a troll

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by deeobserver209(m): 4:34pm On Aug 21, 2014
There should a law regulating these hunters before our wild animals go extinct.
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by solomakindees(m): 4:36pm On Aug 21, 2014
Let them cook monkeys and bats and eat them publicly or share fruits with bats. grin
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by oilsuop: 4:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
We eat a lot of Snakes in yorubaland we are better off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zBdD4qiGow
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by thandii1: 4:45pm On Aug 21, 2014
jbaur24: No wonder the ailment is so much in that side of the country!

The late Dr who sacrificed her life to prevent the widespread of this virus will certainly not forgive you for this statement.

If you want to be a bigot, at least pick a non-sensitive issue like ebola that has killed people who didn't bargain for it, people who tried their best to contain it so far, people who sacrificed their lives for we nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by Adelaide2: 4:46pm On Aug 21, 2014
Awo omo ton je ejo. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by nigerianvenom(m): 4:49pm On Aug 21, 2014
na their way na.the eat anything from snake to lizard to milipede and even humans.so ebola is like news to them.
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by jbaur24: 4:49pm On Aug 21, 2014
Don't misunderstand me..I am not a bigot!

thandii1:

The late Dr who sacrificed her life to prevent the widespread of this virus will certainly not forgive you for this statement.

If you want to be a bigot, at least pick a non-sensitive issue like ebola that has killed people who didn't bargain for it, people who tried their best to contain it so far, people who sacrificed their lives for we nigerians.
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ibadan again ?
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 21, 2014
oilsuop: We eat a lot of Snakes in yorubaland we are better off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zBdD4qiGow

These people dey try o.

But in oyibo land, they sell life snakes. Fear fear people..
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by Tallesty1(m): 5:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
solomakindees: Let them cook monkeys and bats and eat them publiclygrin
Nothing will happen to them.
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by T9ksy(m): 5:58pm On Aug 21, 2014

But.........................

jbaur24: Don't misunderstand me..I am not a bigot!

classic!!!
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 21, 2014
k
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by redsun(m): 6:08pm On Aug 21, 2014
Where did they get all those snakes from? Badagry area still probably have some pristine forests that needs saving.
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by vicadex07(m): 6:13pm On Aug 21, 2014
Sebi na monkey and bat dem talk say make we no chop again undecided
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by Enahi(f): 6:26pm On Aug 21, 2014
jbaur24: You mean GEJ? What is the duty of the state government in that state?

There are no State Governors in Nigeria,they all blame GEJ for everything.
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by Tallahassee: 6:52pm On Aug 21, 2014

Shutup Chindo. Bigot!
Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by austertee01(m): 7:01pm On Aug 21, 2014

Cite one case of Ebola in Ibadan ever since.... Opo'nu

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by lilprinze: 7:20pm On Aug 21, 2014
some people are just very storbon sha you would tell them the implications of doing something still they would still do it

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Sellers Eat Bush Meat Publicly In Ibadan by goldtooth: 10:23pm On Aug 21, 2014

you sure sound like one though. If i were a mod i would delete your comment cos it has a great tendency to start a tribal war. Modify your post if u are not a bigot oo

(1) (Reply)

Rumour Of Shekau’s Death Spreads In Borno, How True? / Unibenstudent Openly Declares For General Muhamadu Buhari / Gej/jonathan Photo That Went Viral On Instagram And Twittter This Week[photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.