Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,974 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians (22445 Views)

Nigerian Celebrities You Didn’t Know Are From Royal Families (photos) / Celebrities You May Not Know Are Twins(Photos) / 12 Celebrities You Didn't Know Are Transgendered. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Tawis06(m): 12:00am On Aug 22, 2014
I love these
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by musiwa94: 12:01am On Aug 22, 2014
re

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 12:01am On Aug 22, 2014
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

My ribs hurt for laughing out loud! Nigerians are bunch of haters!

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 12:08am On Aug 22, 2014
thandii1:

He didn't have to mislead anyone or better still, he could have just celebrated his tribe by typing " 20 influential people in america you wouldn't even know are igbos" and there would be no need for all the back and forth, chikena!

Op typed 20 most influential nigerians, selected about 18igbo profiles and a few non-igbo profiles exceeding his list of 20, and then comes back after being busted that he intended to copy more, and to make matters worse, he modified his post to 50. Also, his quick attempt to quote hi-power and point out that one of the guys wasn't yoruba shows he set out to compete in the first place.

In short, I also go with the notion that his intentions were not clean and he set out to be tribalistic, albeit codedly but not-so-smart. In this era of tribalism on nairaland, wetin una expect.? Yoruba people don pounce, though, some over reacted sha, oginni? On top people wey no even sabi wetin naija look like. Sigh.

Kinfunfun22: bigfrancis21 a moderator and an unrepentant bigot is one of the problems of Nairaland. Seun Osewa has to relieve him of this moderation duty to show he is serious with his anti tribalism talk.

Seun Osewa do the needful and prove you are serious about the war against tribalism so we can all take you serious. If this guy remains a mod, u have no moral right to speak against tribalism or any form of prejudice exhibited by any forumite

django1:

Yes, he has done nothing wrong but he intends to manipulate people subconsciously, make them think only ibos do good out there. He labelled the thread wrongly if he meant to showcase just ibos doing good abroad, but as a sly person that he is, he just had to call them Nigerians but only put up ibo people.

Look, if taking pride in his ethnicity is all he intends to do, i wouldn't even look at it twice, but i know him very well, even before opening the thread i was expecting something like this, i have history with this guy in the culture section, this is his own MO of tribalism, try to play up his own tribe while undermining those of others, but he won't get away with it here in the politics section, unlike the culture section where he's a moderator and the atmosphere there isn't so charged.

For you guys complaining, have you taken time to visit the actual website to see where this article is from? In the first place, I did not even compile the names in that order, the website isn't even mine and from the name of the website, it is owned by Yoruba who compiled the names in that order.

I stumbled across an article that I thought might be positive news for Nigeria and a cause to celebrate our outstanding achievement beyond the shores of Nigeria and you turn around to accuse me of tribalism. I was not the one that compiled the list in that order and was only replicating the original article, why laying blames on me?

Remember, the actual purpose of this thread is to bring to our awareness well-doing Nigerians in the diaspora we currently don't know or know little of, and not necessarily the ones we already well know.

https://kimberlyakinola./2013/10/28/50-inflential-people-you-wouldnt-believe-are-nigerians-part-1/

3 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 12:12am On Aug 22, 2014
Yoruba vs Igbo again, hian undecided. Don't you guys get tired?

Anyway to the topic, una dey celebrate dem like say if dem dey Nigeria una for nor use frustration kill them.

If you have the means to leave Nigeria, please RUN and try not to look back till you make it. Na advise o

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by musiwa94: 12:16am On Aug 22, 2014
Lo

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by iconize(m): 12:21am On Aug 22, 2014
musiwa94: redsun, i am not allowed to tell you. look at your topic, you said influential. that why I included my name. If you say something else. I will never include my name. I am more influential than Ngozi iweala. You know I pick a name.. I did it so that you can know how influential I am. the most influence people are not actors or musician. I basically disagree with that believe.

This are the most influential people. And if I can cut Ngozi iweala heart and head off, I am more influential than Ngozi iweala . This is how I see life.
That why you most serve in the military even if it is only short service.

Musiwa! grin
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Justcash(m): 12:22am On Aug 22, 2014
HAVE ANY OF YOU THAT ARE ACCUSING THE OP OF BEING TRIBALISTIC ACTUALLY "CLICKED THE LINK" FROM WHICH THE POST WAS MADE
I fear for Nigeria o! So full of sad tribalists claiming to be saints.

3 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 12:22am On Aug 22, 2014
bigfrancis21:

For you guys complaining, have you taken time to visit the actual website to see where this article is from? In the first place, I did not even compile the names in that order, the website isn't even mine and from the name of the website, it is owned by Yoruba who compiled the names in that order.

I stumbled across an article that I thought might be positive news for Nigeria and a cause to celebrate our outstanding achievement beyond the shores of Nigeria and you turn around to accuse me of tribalism. I was not the one that compiled the list in that order and was only replicating the original article, why laying blames on me?

https://kimberlyakinola./2013/10/28/50-inflential-people-you-wouldnt-believe-are-nigerians-part-1/

But why did you use 20 'Nigerians' in your initial topic and immediately stock same with names of 18 igbos if not to create a false impression that 18 of 20 (90%) of influential Nigerians are igbo.. If u used igbo in ur topic, there would've bn no problem but this is a clearly attempted but woefully failed attempt to spark the fire of your usual empty chest beating which usually results in a wildfire of tribal jabbings.

Once more, Seun Osewa has no excuse for keeping this ethnic jingoist as a moderator on any section whatsoever.

8 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by semitunde: 12:29am On Aug 22, 2014
Anyway, I feel the title is a little innacurate. Musiwa, in all his influencial glory, is quite right in calling for the misuse of the word "influencial" for these people.

Popular yes.
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Justcash(m): 12:31am On Aug 22, 2014
Kinfunfun22:

But why did you use 20 'Nigerians' in your initial topic and immediately stock same with names of 18 igbos if not to create a false impression that 18 of 20 (90%) of influential Nigerians are igbo.. If u used igbo in ur topic, there would've bn no problem but this is a clearly attempted but woefully failed attempt to spark the fire of your usual empty chest beating which usually results in a wildfire of tribal jabbings.

Once more, Seun Osewa has no excuse for keeping this ethnic jingoist as a moderator on any section whatsoever.

First of all, the names he posted all had Nigerian roots. It is only you that translated it to Igbo.
Secondly, the OP chose the names he felt that people may not know. If you disagree, post your own instead of reading tribal meanings.
Thirdly, the OP has the liberty to choose the number he wants. He said 20, he had his reasons. His reasons are not subject to your biased interpretations.
Finally, YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS BEING TRIBALISTIC HERE. Trust me, it is a choice you made. Your mindset is the reason for that choice.

6 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by htconeline: 12:36am On Aug 22, 2014
Me for once ask super mod to remove d op as moderator on NL.
Not because of these particular thread but for other bigotry he as shown before.

9 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 12:38am On Aug 22, 2014
Kinfunfun22:

When I stumbled across the article, the title read '50 influential...' but went on to list only 20 people. When I opened this thread I initially wrote '50' but seeing only 20 names listed on the original article, I edited this thread's title to '20' only to find out later that the page was just part 1 and there was a part 2 with 30 more names that completed the list. I re-edited the title back to '50' but before I could finish quoting the article here, the thread was immediately hijacked by Hiipower in spurts of bursting frenzy.

Observe that I did not compile those names myself. The blogger and writer of the article is yoruba.

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by tomakint: 12:42am On Aug 22, 2014
Those names are really representing for real cool
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by pazienza(m): 12:56am On Aug 22, 2014
thandii1:

He didn't have to mislead anyone or better still, he could have just celebrated his tribe by typing " 20 influential people in america you wouldn't even know are igbos" and there would be no need for all the back and forth, chikena!

Op typed 20 most influential nigerians, selected about 18igbo profiles and a few non-igbo profiles exceeding his list of 20, and then comes back after being busted that he intended to copy more, and to make matters worse, he modified his post to 50. Also, his quick attempt to quote hi-power and point out that one of the guys wasn't yoruba shows he set out to compete in the first place.

In short, I also go with the notion that his intentions were not clean and he set out to be tribalistic, albeit codedly but not-so-smart. In this era of tribalism on nairaland, wetin una expect.? Yoruba people don pounce, though, some over reacted sha, oginni? On top people wey no even sabi wetin naija look like. Sigh.

Nonsense! Are Igbos not Nigerians? Must he take permission from ndi ofe, before he use Igbos as Nigerians. Was there any where he claimed that Igbos are the only Nigerians excelling? Or is it the insecurities in you guys puting things into your heads. What is this noise from Ndi ofe all about?

5 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by FakeJews: 1:04am On Aug 22, 2014
bigfrancis21:

When I stumbled across the article, the title read '50 influential...' but went on to list only 20 people. When I opened this thread I initially wrote '50' but seeing only 20 names listed on the original article, I edited this thread's title to '20' only to find out later that the page was just part 1 and there was a part 2 with 30 more names that completed the list. I re-edited the title back to '50' but before I could finish quoting the article here, the thread was immediately hijacked by Hiipower in spurts of bursting frenzy.

Observe that I did not compile those names myself. The title and owner of the thread is yoruba.
smh... I only pity d owner of this site

4 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by hausadreturn(m): 1:34am On Aug 22, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Observe that I did not compile those names myself. The blogger and writer of the article yoruba.
u've explained...lobatan
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by hausadreturn(m): 1:35am On Aug 22, 2014
FakeJews: smh... I only pity d owner of this site
why? Explain
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by hausadreturn(m): 1:43am On Aug 22, 2014
Must u guys always draw first blood...what is d meaning of...
''Shut up. The link said 50 but you picked out the 20
Ibos. Look at your thread title and what you have
been posting''...
>
If you guys are intellects & really claim to be one, dont come here & use rough, careless abusive languages b'cos d physical world wont give u d chance to do so. (of course a tooth might get knocked off in d process - so u resort to throwing all your garbages here).
>
He wasnt even arrogant with his replies - just giving reasons & yet some people here are still chastizing. Who then are d bigots?

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by snaiper: 1:43am On Aug 22, 2014
Where is my brother,Shaffer Chimere Smith with stage name Ne yo
Imagine a world without "NDIGBO". grin grin
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by hausadreturn(m): 1:46am On Aug 22, 2014
snaiper: Where is my brother,Shaffer Chimere Smith with stage name Ne yo
Imagine a world without "NDIGBO". grin grin

na wa o. So Neyo is a Nigerian?
I had once heard someone saying that 'Nas' is a Nigerian but it isnt clear from wikipedia if he's truly one.
Can someone help out?
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 1:59am On Aug 22, 2014
hausadreturn: na wa o. So Neyo is a Nigerian?
I had once heard someone saying that 'Nas' is a Nigerian but it isnt clear from wikipedia if he's truly one.
Can someone help out?

There are speculations about his Nigerian ancestry though he has not come out yet to address the issue himself. Ne-Yo's girlfriend named their son after his father's middle name, 'Chimere'.

Nas Oludara is African American named after his father, Olu Dara Charles Jones III. The name was given to his father by a Yoruba priest during one of his visits to Africa.

Another person speculated to have a Nigerian name is Kanye which coincidentally means 'let's give' in Igbo. Kanye hasn't confirmed this speculation himself actually.

There's more to the list of influential Nigerians in the diaspora actually. The names given above are only a quarter of it.

3 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by hausadreturn(m): 2:04am On Aug 22, 2014
bigfrancis21:

There are speculations about his Nigerian ancestry though he has not come out yet to address the issue himself. Ne-Yo's girlfriend named their son after his father's middle name, 'Chimere'.

Nas Oludara is African American named after his father, Olu Dara Charles Jones III. The name was given to his father by a Yoruba priest during one of his visits to Africa.

Another person speculated to have a Nigerian name is Kanye which coincidentally means 'let's give' in Igbo. Kanye hasn't confirmed this speculation himself actually.

There's more to the list of influential Nigerians in the diaspora actually. The names given above are only a quarter of it.
interesting...
Only that majority of them are either basket ballers or artistes. That doesnt even make them influential.
The likes of Don Jazzy, Wande Coal, Tiwa, 2face, Psquare, Phyno etc. as artistes are even way more influential
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by bigfrancis21: 2:18am On Aug 22, 2014
hausadreturn: interesting...
Only that majority of them are either basket ballers or artistes. That doesnt even make them influential.
The likes of Don Jazzy, Wande Coal, Tiwa, 2face, Psquare, Phyno etc. as artistes are even way more influential

Another upcoming Nigerian American rapper is Phil Ade, especially popular in the suburban state of Maryland. He was born to a Nigerian father and mother from the West Indies.

[img]http://afrofusionlounge.files./2010/11/phil-ade.jpg[/img]

We have other Nigerians excelling in other fields of endeavour here in Nigeria too, albeit not as plenty as those excelling in sports and music.
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by 9jagirl4re(f): 2:54am On Aug 22, 2014
HiiiPower: Omaroseonee Manigault

Omarosa born Omaroseonee Manigault, February 15, 1974 is a reality game show and reality show personality.She was a contestant on the first season of Donald Trump‘s original American version of The Apprentice. She later returned for the TV series sequel, Celebrity Apprentice, and the All-Stars edition of the show. TV Guide included her in their 2013 list of The 60 Nastiest Villains of All Time. Omarosa was born in Youngstown,Ohio; her father is of Yoruba Nigerian descent. Omarosa’s father was murdered when she was seven years old. In 2011, Omarosa’s brother, Jack, was also murdered. On August 13, 2010, Omarosa confirmed that she was dating actor Michael Clarke Duncan, who she had met in the produce section of a Whole Foods supermarket.In July 2012, she found that Duncan was suffering a heart attack and attempted to perform CPR. It is unknown if Duncan regained consciousness from her CPR or the efforts of the EMS. He never fully recovered from the heart attack, and died on September 3, 2012, after having spent two months in the hospital.

[img]http://kimberlyakinola.files./2013/11/omarosa-manigault.jpg?w=173[/img]
Should have known

1 Like

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by 9jagirl4re(f): 2:56am On Aug 22, 2014
HiiiPower: Abisola Arisicate Ajoke Olajuwon

[img]http://kimberlyakinola.files./2013/11/abi-olajuwon.jpg?w=190[/img]

Alon Abisola Arisicate Ajoke Olajuwon, better known as Abi Olajuwon born July 6, 1988 is an American female basketball player. Olajuwon is the daughter of former NBA center Hakeem Olajuwon. Olajuwon’s full name means “born in wealth and loved by all”. Born in Houston, Texas, Olajuwon played varsity basketball for her Californian high school, Marlborough School, and helped her team win three consecutive Southern Section titles. Olajuwon was a 2006 McDonald’s All-American, and was one of the most prized recruits of the 2006 graduating high school class. She played college basketball at the University of Oklahoma, and ESPN basketball analyst Nancy Lieberman stated before the 2006–07 season that the addition of Olajuwon would help propel the Sooners into contention for the NCAA championship. Olajuwon has played abroad for the Romanian club CSM Satu Mare, signing a 4 months contract at the start of 2011. In 2012 she also signed with Ourinhos Basquete in Brazil.
He already mentioned her what is your problem!
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 2:56am On Aug 22, 2014
Igbo kwenu
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by 9jagirl4re(f): 2:57am On Aug 22, 2014
HiiiPower: Sade Adu

[img]http://kimberlyakinola.files./2013/11/sade-adu.jpg?w=310[/img]

Helen Folasade Adu

Helen Folasade Adu, OBE born 16 January 1959, better known as Sade (Shah-DAY), is a Nigerian-born British Singer-songwriter, composer, and Record producer. She first achieved success in the 1980s as the front-woman and lead vocalist of the Brit and Grammy Award winning English group Sade. In 2002, she received an OBE from Prince Charles at Buckingham Palace for services to music, and she dedicated her award to “all black women in England”. In 2012, Sade was listed at number 30 on VH1’s 100 Greatest Women In Music. Sade has a contralto vocal range.

Sade was born in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. Her middle name, Folasade, means honour confers your crown. Her parents, Adebisi Adu, a Nigerian lecturer in economics of Yoruba background, and Anne Hayes, an English district nurse, met in London, married in 1955 and moved to Nigeria. Later, when the marriage ran into difficulties, Anne Hayes returned to England, taking four-year-old Sade and her older brother Banji to live with her parents. Later on Sade and her brother lived with their grandparents just outside Colchester, Essex. When Sade was 11, she moved to Holland-on-sea, Essex to live with her mother, and after completing school at 18 she moved to London and studied at Saint Martin’s School of Art.
Why are you posting double the OP already posted Sade hey some people Low -Self Esteem will kill them!

3 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by 9jagirl4re(f): 2:59am On Aug 22, 2014
Wulfruna: grin I swear this one pained HiiPower. See fierce competition! shocked shocked grin grin Wonder what the prize is for whoever wins this Ibo-Yoruba thing. I don't wanna believe that after exerting all this energy you just go to bed and that's it. undecided
Can you imagine undecided
Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by Nobody: 3:07am On Aug 22, 2014
i will spit in every yoruba person eye fu cking ugly tribal animals . shame on yoruba .you have no respect i swear .

2 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by splashbaby(m): 3:11am On Aug 22, 2014
Nairaland gone to the dogs.,who made that ethnic f..l a mod. smallfrancis21 is too dull to conceal his intention

2 Likes

Re: 50 Influential People in America and UK You Wouldn’t Know Are Nigerians by ogbonge9grian: 4:27am On Aug 22, 2014
Kinfunfun22:

u de mind seun and him mods? He claimed he is fighting tribalism yet he banned me for giving him a solid advice while the same tribal bigots are having a field day and throwing tribal slurs in the same thread that seun created to fight tribalism and yet he didnt ban them. Who is he deceiving? Seun dont hesitate to ban this my profile o. Dama ur site is becoming too unhealthy and toxic

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2face Announces Concert To Mark 40th Birthday / Monalisa Chinda Looks Flawless In New Photos / Bbnaija 2018: Why I Could Not Connect With Male Housemates – Ahneeka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.