Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge (497 Views)

Wike: No INEC Official Has Powers To Cancel Already Declared Results / NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge / Yar’adua Would’ve Fixed Electricity Problem – Sambo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge by victorVIC1(m): 6:57am On Aug 22, 2014
The Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) on Wednesday said
the fixed charge currently borne by electricity consumers would be
dispensed with as soon as power generation becomes economically
sustainable.
The Director General of BPE, Benjamin Dikki, stated this in a press
statement signed by the bureau's Head of Public Communications,
Chigbo Anichebe in Abuja.
In it, the DG appealed to electricity consumers to bear the burden as
it was a temporary measure.
According to him, it is the initial sacrifice consumers had to make
given the huge financial investment made by the new power
investors who are yet to obtain adequate returns on their
investments.
Dikki said it was like what happened at the initial stages of the
reform in the telecoms sector when the cost of the Subscriber
Identity Module (SIM) cards and cell phones was as high as N50 000
per SIM.
He said just like SIM had crashed and sold for almost nothing, with
free air time, electricity fixed charge would also crash.
The BPE boss said government was addressing the non-availability
of electric metres, as the Presidency had approved N33 billion low
interest intervention funds to support the Distribution Companies.
He said that this money would assist them to buy meters and other
electric power accessories.
He pointed out that Nigeria required three million meters yearly.
Dikki also said that the reforms undertaken by the privatisation
agency had impacted positively on the Nigerian economy.
He added that the bureau intended to focus attention on the
transport sector in the next phase of the reforms as it contributes
about 30 per cent to the cost of doing business in Nigeria

http://m.news24.com/nigeria/National/News/Government-to-cancel-fixed-electricity-charge-20140821
Re: Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge by Gboliwe: 7:00am On Aug 22, 2014
I didn't read past the first paragraph. I guess its a very looooooong wait.

1 Like

Re: Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge by Tolexander: 7:16am On Aug 22, 2014
Gboliwe: I didn't read past the first paragraph. I guess its a very looooooong wait.
if you could take the time to read it up to the 2nd paragraph, you would realise it won't be long as supposed.
Like 20years time sha!

1 Like

Re: Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge by EdCure: 7:23am On Aug 22, 2014
I opened this thread with scepticism and, boy, was i disappointed?
GEJ's administration never implements policies to benefit the people. NEVER!

2 Likes

Re: Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge by MaziOmenuko: 7:28am On Aug 22, 2014
Time is indefinite; its not even the fixed charges that is the problem; the tariff is outrageous!

And why is the FG proposing to pump in N33bil into a sector it privatized? If those private companies can't even fund their activities, why did they put in bid for acquisition?

#mtchewww#
Re: Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge by 2cato: 7:33am On Aug 22, 2014
We will wait.
We are use to waiting.
We have been waiting since the days of tafawa balewa.
Re: Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge by victorVIC1(m): 7:38am On Aug 22, 2014
so we are left with no other option but to endure the outrageous bills till only God knows wen....So unfortunate.
Re: Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge by Gboliwe: 7:46am On Aug 22, 2014
Tolexander: if you could take the time to read it up to the 2nd paragraph, you would realise it won't be long as supposed.
Like 20years time sha!
Lol. After the first paragraph, I knew it wouldn't make any more sense to me.
Re: Government To Cancel Fixed Electricity Charge by goldtooth: 8:52am On Aug 22, 2014
MaziOmenuko: Time is indefinite; its not even the fixed charges that is the problem; the tariff is outrageous!

And why is the FG proposing to pump in N33bil into a sector it privatized? If those private companies can't even fund their activities, why did they put in bid for acquisition?

#mtchewww#

Not that i support it, but sometimes it is necessary. Remember the Americans bailing out their automobile companies during the economic depression? just to make sure the companies survive and more of its citizens are not laid off. Guess it is the same concern here

(1) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala, Nass Team Engage Diaspora On Economic Development / Ansu Applicants 2014/2015 Can Now Transfer To Either Unn,nau,ebsu,futo Or Absu. / Nigerian GDP Grows At 6.54% In 6 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.