Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,741 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge (1702 Views)

Ambode Abolishes Monthly Environmental Sanitation Exercise / El-Rufai Abolishes Admission Fees In State Owned Tertiary Institutions / Presidency Abolishes Office Of First Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by Franchise21(m): 9:05pm On Aug 11, 2015
…Directs Discos to comply from today

The Nigeria Electric­ity Regulatory Com­mission (NERC) has ordered Distribution Com­panies (Discos) to suspend further collection of fixed charges on unconsumed electricity if power was not supplied continuously or cumulatively for 15 days in a month.

NERC Chairman, Dr. Sam Amadi, said that, “any customer who experiences continuously or cumulatively power outage for 15 days in a month will be exempted from paying the monthly fixed charge to the Electricity Dis­tribution Company (Discos).”

The order, according to Amadi, who spoke to report­ers in Abuja, is effective from May 1, 2014. He further ex­plained that in as much as the 15 days power outage was not due to the customer’s dis­ruption or default in paying bill, the Discos shall forego monthly fixed charge.

The decision, according to him, was based on the com­mission’s 2005 Act, Section 32 D and F, while he stated that the NERC has decided that the fixed charge remains an essential component of the bill. It has, however, reviewed its continued reflection in the tariff in the payment of the fixed charge in the light of sev­eral complaints by consumers, particularly the payment of the fixed charge when energy is not delivered to them.

“Upon due consideration of these complaints and agitations by customers, and considering the commissions role in the Nigerian Electric­ity Supply Industry (NESI) as provided under Sections 32(d)&(f) of the EPSR Act 2005:

“Effective May 1, 2014, where any customer of a distribution licensee has not received continuous or cumu­lative electricity supply for a period of 15 days in a month, such a customer shall not be required to pay the fixed charge,” he stated.

In a fact sheet, which the commission made available to newsmen, it described fixed charge as an element of an electricity customer’s elec­tricity bill that is charged on a monthly basis.

The fixed charge is intend­ed to allow for the recovery of the cost associated with the fixed or permanent invest­ments required to generate, transmit and distribute elec­tricity.

But the commission’s chairman said that the order was to compel the distribution companies to always reinstall faulty equipment such as transformers immediately.

Amadi, however, added that the essence of the order was to create a balance that protects the consumers and affords the distribution com­panies some incentives to be responsive without threaten­ing the reliance of the industry.

His words: “It is hereby ordered that effective May 1, 2014, where any customers of the distribution licensees has not received continuous electricity supply for a period of 15 days in a month, such a customer shall not be re­quired to pay the fixed charge provided that the disruption is not due to non-payment of electricity bill or other actions of the consumer like temper­ing, vandalism or it is totally unrelated to the fault of the distribution company.

“In other words, fixed charge should be paid and the only condition for non-payment is when you do not receive continuously 15 days power supply.

The fact is that we want to ensure that the Discos receive enough revenue to maintain the network. At the same time, we don’t want it to be an incentive for them not to re­spond to the faults they could manage within their existing commitment.

“So the commission has tailored a deliberate balance that protects consumers and provides incentives for Discos to be efficient and responsive but without threatening the reliability of the industry as a whole in ensuring that there will still be fund to give stable electricity to the consumers.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/nerc-abolishes-n750-fixed-electricity-charge/
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by lekejob(m): 9:12pm On Aug 11, 2015
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by koolpal(m): 9:15pm On Aug 11, 2015
This one wey Baba don make like dey almost 18hrs in a day escape route go hard ooo
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by boombay(m): 9:16pm On Aug 11, 2015
issokay
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by bigiyaro(m): 9:19pm On Aug 11, 2015
all talk no enforcement makes NERC a useless bulldog.
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hope say Baba Enforces this decision on this criminals
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by dhardline(m): 9:48pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hmmm...lets see
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by hedonistic: 9:53pm On Aug 11, 2015
Window dressing policy meant to deceive the undiscerning. What are the mechanisms in place to ensure that this directive is implemented? Who would be responsible for calculating whether power was cumulatively supplied for 14 days or 15 days - the Discos, NERC, or the consumers? How prepared is NERC to effectively prevent the Discos from manipulating the process, which is evidently fairly easy?

When I saw the headline, I rushed to read the news because I thought that NERC had outrightly cancelled the annoying fixed charges. Only to see the yeye regulatory gymnastics.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by Realdeals(m): 10:03pm On Aug 11, 2015
Is it for real?
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by kennydee05(m): 10:07pm On Aug 11, 2015
Change has finally come.
Congratulations Nigeria
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by kennyman2000(m): 10:10pm On Aug 11, 2015
Hmmmm..
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by omogin(f): 10:20pm On Aug 11, 2015
Now I agree GEJ was really clueless. Haba, first those useless new plate numbers forced on us, then fixed charges for no work done

1 Like

Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by UncleJudax(m): 10:30pm On Aug 11, 2015
The headline is different from the content. The fixed charge has not been abolished#fact

Anyway, this news is stale. The directive has been given some time ago (April-May). Should have been implemented already.
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by abumeinben(m): 10:38pm On Aug 11, 2015
this is my take.

The fixed charge is way too high. It's should be dropped. How would a consumer be away for 7months and then pay for what he never bought?
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by AdeniyiA(m): 11:03pm On Aug 11, 2015
hedonistic:
Window dressing policy meant to deceive the undiscerning. What are the mechanisms in place to ensure that this directive is implemented? Who would be responsible for calculating whether power was cumulatively supplied for 14 days or 15 days - the Discos, NERC, or the consumers? How prepared is NERC to effectively prevent the Discos from manipulating the process, which is evidently fairly easy?

When I saw the headline, I rushed to read the news because I thought that NERC had outrightly cancelled the annoying fixed charges. Only to see the yeye regulatory gymnastics.
you spoke my mind bro...

some of our leaders love speaking from their anus undecided
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by omenka(m): 11:03pm On Aug 11, 2015
Nonsense!! Jonathan gave the order before he left office!! www.wailersville.com.

Can't the Daura president come up with his own ideas?? angry
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by adekennis(m): 11:07pm On Aug 11, 2015
I still can't believe the way I'm enjoying electricity in my area this days..This is where I have been staying for over two years without stable electricity.. How come PHCN are giving us light this days?how come electricity is more stable even after the super clueless last government cut the tariff just to get re elected?No increase in electricity tariff and it's more stable than when we were paying double for nothing.

And one oloriburu will come here and say GEJ did well...Ogun la pa dede yin..Kaa ragba funyin eyin ashiere... undecided
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 11, 2015
The fixed charge is. Too high. Just clear 5months fixed charge on my prepaid. I hardly use power, just started enjoying it last month. I think they should review it.
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by fctboy: 11:44pm On Aug 11, 2015
Nothing has change. If they wish to do the right thing it should be charge per unit of power consumed and not fixed
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by rman: 2:49am On Aug 12, 2015
hedonistic:

Thank you for speaking my mind. Only outright cancellation makes sense.
Re: NERC Abolishes N750 Fixed Electricity Charge by idupaul: 2:56am On Aug 12, 2015
hedonistic:

You get sense sir!!!!NERC has only mandated them to continue collecting the 750 naira with fury

(1) (Reply)

I Am Mourning For America / VIDEO: Late Biafra Leader Odumegwu Ojukwu Warned Igbos Against Another BIAFRA Wa / Why Are Nigerians Being So Selfish,Greedy And Pessimistic About #prayforparis.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.