Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,764 members, 7,824,203 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. (32493 Views)

Nigeria Struggles to Sell Oil Cargoes, Offers Discounts to Asian Buyers / Your Experience Doing Business With Aliexpress Or Alibaba / Doing Business With 300,000 Naira Capital? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Onegai(f): 7:45am On Aug 27, 2014
MissMeiya:

They did it to make foreign products more expensive to promote local business. Unfortunately, it's not working, because as the OP mentioned, the importers never actually pay the tax.

They did the same thing to palm oil. Nigerian palm oil is SOOO uncompetitive on the global market. It only barely survives locally because of the tax on imported palm oil. Even still, manufacturers have to import the high-quality palm oil from Asia, because there isn't enough of it in Nigeria.

That was my first thought when I heard 40% tax on imports (I personally support manufacturing in Nigeria). But I think importation gives a greater profit since the tax isn't enforced or importers bribe their way through. Some people I know are interested in Agricultural produce (they've got their ideas and I've got mine). Can I ask you though, what do you think about manufacturing in Nigeria? Like the OP said, even I would have thought buying trucks from the Netherlands will be cheaper, but in his experience, "wetin dey for Sokoto, dey better in your shokoto". So does the same apply to manufacturing?
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 27, 2014
Onegai:

That was my first thought when I heard 40% tax on imports (I personally support manufacturing in Nigeria). But I think importation gives a greater profit since the tax isn't enforced or importers bribe their way through.

Well, it depends on you, really. The OP decided he didn't want to rely on having to bribe his imports into the country. There are a few reasons why one might make the decision he made.

The ethical argument:
It's wrong. Lol, obviously. That fact that it is prevalent in Nigeria doesn't make it an acceptable practice.

The business argument:
1. Legal risk. No matter how it may seem, it is actually illegal in Nigeria. This risk may be very low, but it exists. Higher, is the risk in the company's home country, if it is not Nigeria, depending on its stance on corruption. It is increasingly illegal to engage in corrupt business practices in a foreign country. Any auditor examining your finances would wonder how you managed to swallow that hefty tax.

2. Financial risk. Bribery is shaky and unreliable. Once you start, you have to continue. And the amount will only increase from there. There is also the possibility of blackmail, or "hush money". You might encounter the wrong individual one day, who might demand their own portion. Or, they might feel a moral obligation to report you. You might have to begin bribing at a higher level. Or, you might not succeed in bribing anyone at all. Meanwhile, your goods are sitting in storage, your customers and your sellers are waiting, and you're gaining a reputation for unreliability. Basing your entire business model on the necessity of a bribe is risky.

3. Relationship risk. When you engage in or tolerate corrupt practices, it doesn't stay a secret for long. Both externally and internally, you've gained reputation as a company for unfair play, deceit, and secrecy. Unethical behavior erodes staff loyalty to the company, and it can be difficult for staff to see why high standards should be applied within a company, when it does not apply in the company's external relations. It damages internal trust and confidence, and encourages suspicion and dishonesty. I believe this is the argument that swayed the OP. Internal and external relationships appear to be very important to him.

Some people I know are interested in Agricultural produce (they've got their ideas and I've got mine). Can I ask you though, what do you think about manufacturing in Nigeria? Like the OP said, even I would have thought buying trucks from the Netherlands will be cheaper, but in his experience, "wetin dey for Sokoto, dey better in your shokoto". So does the same apply to manufacturing?

Ummm. I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience with manufacturing, but I do know that local will always be cheaper than import. But price is often less of a problem than availability. Availability is a big problem in Nigeria. Hence, the government's feeble attempt at stimulating local production.

As I mentioned with palm oil earlier, Nigeria does not produce even close to the amount of palm oil that it consumes. For manufacturers that use palm oil in their production--instant noodles, bread, soaps, cosmetics, basically everything--they have to import palm oil, no matter what it costs, because they have no choice.

3 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by jdilight(m): 4:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
davidif:

Have you ever heard of the law of unintended consequences? That's what that situation looks like to me.

No that is not how it look.

Let me explain it. If we produce palm oil at 50 naira per liter in Nigeria we will likely sell at 70 naira making a profit of 5 naira as producers. Now someone in Malesya produces at 30 naira per liter sell to Nigerian importers at 50 naira, the importer comes to Nigeria sell at 65 naira. The Nigerian producer will have to reduce price which will wipe his profit away. So he closes down throws all his workers out. But govt. say no, importer pays a tax of 14 naira per liter imported. Importation becomes unattractive so the importers turns to manufacturer and employ Nigerians. This is how GDP grows not that the poor man in the street will be able to buy a car.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by davidif: 5:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
jdilight:

No that is not how it look.

Let me explain it. If we produce palm oil at 50 naira per liter in Nigeria we will likely sell at 70 naira making a profit of 5 naira as producers. Now someone in Malesya produces at 30 naira per liter sell to Nigerian importers at 50 naira, the importer comes to Nigeria sell at 65 naira. The Nigerian producer will have to reduce price which will wipe his profit away. So he closes down throws all his workers out. But govt. say no, importer pays a tax of 14 naira per liter imported. Importation becomes unattractive so the importers turns to manufacturer and employ Nigerians. This is how GDP grows not that the poor man in the street will be able to buy a car.

Your reasoning is too simplistic. It is what happens in the ideal world. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world and that's why policies made by govts don't always work according to plan. History is filled with many stories like this.
Despite the import duties you put on palm oil, Nigeria is still heavily importing palm oil because local supply is not able to match their demand. That's why i asked you if you knew about the law of uninteneded consequences.
Policy makers might have good intentions when they make this laws but the real world consequences are usually different. This is what a lot of economists are taught.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:02pm On Aug 27, 2014
Success is guaranteed for the determined and never-give-up attitude
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by musicwriter(m): 11:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
iceberylin: The annoying part is Foreigners think Naija is a Great Country....

i jst laugh @ dia stupidiry

After reading this man you still can't see Nigeria is actually a great country?. What more prove do you want?. Remember this man is non-Nigerian, neither is he politically or ethnically biased.
"The weak heart and doubting Thomas will never get to the promised land".....Majek Fashek.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by musicwriter(m): 12:14am On Aug 28, 2014
MissMeiya:

They don't have anything better to do.

My brother, I tire for these people o!. The OP have not done anything extraodinary here. Many people have posted similar post on Nairaland. I have now come to believe the rate of persimism among Nigerians is one of the reason this country is the way it is.

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by seguno2: 12:19am On Aug 28, 2014
Nice thread.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by musicwriter(m): 12:26am On Aug 28, 2014
bigx: Most Nigerians Have such an evil, backward mindset. Threads like this expose them. No wonder... it's not the leaders

My brother. This country is finished!. The rate of persimism in Nigeria is killing this country. There are many insightful posts like this hidding in many threads unknown!.
I also personally think the people calling him a scam are actually professional scammers, otherwise, they have to explain us how they arrived at that conclusion.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 12:31am On Aug 28, 2014
musicwriter:

My brother. This country is finished!. The rate of persimism in Nigeria is killing this country. There are many insightful posts like this hidding in many threads unknown!.
I also personally think the people calling him a scam are actually professional scammers, otherwise, they have to explain us how they arrived at that conclusion.
Like when you were a kid and your dad caught you lieing,it actually means he is a better lier than you are......

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by musicwriter(m): 1:09am On Aug 28, 2014
atlwireles: Just tell us you are looking for investors in your haulage business.

Is there anything wrong in him looking for partners on Nairaland?. I'm a musician and I've been using this site to promote my music. Do you guys even know the importance of this site?.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by musicwriter(m): 1:38am On Aug 28, 2014
@ThaiAlNigeria
Do not respond to any more persons to appease their suspicions. You do not owe anybody anything. You've not been in Nigeria for long to know this country well. This's a country where Nigerians by default assume you to be extremely greedy and selfish with such important business information. So, sharing this information publicly here is not the norm because nobody wants the next neigbour to become as rich as themselves. Some people may even want you killed for exposing corrupt business practices. The Jibbs are already on this site and you can see them putting down everything you said!.

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Craigston: 1:32pm On Aug 28, 2014
ThaiAlNigeria -- you have done a good job mister; but you have to be careful. I admire your enthusiasm at exposing the jibs but you should consider the level of corruption in Nigeria and the world at large. You do not want to become a martyr for opposing corruption. Imagine the jibs are reading this thread; their conscience will surely tell them it is their story. You are here to do business. Have you ever wondered why this blessed country has not progressed significantly relative to its potentials? You complained of infrastructure and a host of other problems; those problems are there for a reason you should know. I do not mean anything negative. Just bother about relevant issues. I wish you good luck. You are great.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by emeviks: 1:40pm On Aug 28, 2014
@Mr.Thai, pls confirm your email on your website -info@thai-alpha.com its bouncing. I am trying to contact you.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ThaiAlNigeria(m): 8:23pm On Aug 28, 2014
Greetings Nairalanders,

Thank you all very much for all the positive response. I was overwhelmed by the positive reception and the amount of mails I got as I opened my email today.

I have read all the emails and I am encouraged to know that this article has inspired you to push forward in your businesses and even in the haulage business. It is also very interesting to know that alot of you can relate to what I have written.

I'm writing here to let you all know I will answer all mails within 24 hours - 48 hours and assist as best I can.

As I had written before, unfortunately, my websites email info@thai-alpha.com on my website is not working as we had left the website unworked for almost 2 years. But we are currently revamping it which will take around 2 months to complete. And the email should be operational within 2 months.

Until then you can send me an email at bangkokce@hotmail.com

I did also like to mention that although I am a Thai citizen, I however do not look like a Thai. I look more like Turkish/Italianish. It is important to know that we are currently living in an increasingly globalized world whereby a Chinese looking man can be Canadian citizen or any of the European citizen. An African man can be a United States Citizen. My managers thought that I should mention this.

After I have answered all your queries I will try to write up more info about the business here.

My humblest regards,

Your friend.
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ghettodreamz(m): 9:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
ThaiAlNigeria:

As I had written before, unfortunately, my websites email info@thai-alpha.com on my website is not working as we had left the website unworked for almost 2 years. But we are currently revamping it which will take around 2 months to complete. And the email should be operational within 2 months.

WRONG! Your website is barely a year old. So, how come you have had it unworked for almost 2 years?

I did also like to mention that although I am a Thai citizen, I however do not look like a Thai. I look more like Turkish/Italianish. It is important to know that we are currently living in an increasingly globalized world whereby a Chinese looking man can be Canadian citizen or any of the European citizen. An African man can be a United States Citizen. My managers thought that I should mention this.

Inasmuch as I quite agree with you that globalization have played a significant role in our society and the world at large, thus making it easier for an expat to become a citizen of another country. However, this does not mean he/she would look differently, I think the physical appearance of someone has nothing to do with the term globalization as you had mentioned, but GENE. So, are you originally of Turkish/Italian descent ? Or where precisely?

Please pardon my inquisitiveness. I just want you to know that there are lots of silent followers on this very thread, who might end up patronizing you as business partners someday, and it is good we get some certain information and details right at the onset. Thank you!

After I have answered all your queries I will try to write up more info about the business here.

My humblest regards,

Your friend.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 3:24am On Aug 29, 2014
[quote author=
I did also like to mention that although I am a Thai citizen, I however do not look like a Thai. I look more like Turkish/Italianish. It is important to know that we are currently living in an increasingly globalized world whereby a Chinese looking man can be Canadian citizen or any of the European citizen. An African man can be a United States Citizen. My managers thought that I should mention this.[/quote]
No matter how long an american stays in Ghana,he can never look like charlie!!!
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ThaiAlNigeria(m): 4:52am On Aug 29, 2014
Ghettodreams -- Thanks for your comments. We tested our website and web email check around May 2012. So the website was up since. It did go down once or twice since.

I should have elaborated that my descendants are from Turkey. They migrated to Thailand around 40 years ago. I was born in Thailand which allows me to be a Thai citizen.

Thanks again for your comments.

My Humblest regards,

Your Friend.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ogb5(m): 6:21am On Aug 29, 2014
ThaiAlNigeria: Ghettodreams -- Thanks for your comments. We tested our website and web email check around May 2012. So the website was up since. It did go down once or twice since.

I should have elaborated that my descendants are from Turkey. They migrated to Thailand around 40 years ago. I was born in Thailand which allows me to be a Thai citizen.

Thanks again for your comments.

My Humblest regards,

Your Friend.

I read the most part of your write up. The conclusion is that you still know very little about doing business in Nigeria as regards government policies.

You failed in your rice business because your business model was at variance with the government policies on rice. 40% duty on rice is meant to discourage what you were planning to do, that is dump Thailand rice on Nigerians. Government policy is meant to encourage value addition to imported products before it hits the Nigerian market.

To this end you will find that while importation of bagged cement is prohibited, importation of bulk cement and cement clinker is allowed. While import duty on packed tomato paste is 40% , duty on bulk tomato paste is 10%. In the same vein packed table salt has 70% duty while the bulk salt has very low duty.

If you must bring rice from Thailand to Nigeria then bring in the un-milled rice. Mill it and bag it in Nigeria. That way you will be working in line with government policy thrust and enjoy Lower duty on your import.

that is what many large scale importers are doing and you think they are not paying duty.

8 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ThaiAlNigeria(m): 8:22am On Aug 29, 2014
ogb5:

I read the most part of your write up. The conclusion is that you still know very little about doing business in Nigeria as regards government policies.

You failed in your rice business because your business model was at variance with the government policies on rice. 40% duty on rice is meant to discourage what you were planning to do, that is dump Thailand rice on Nigerians. Government policy is meant to encourage value addition to imported products before it hits the Nigerian market.

To this end you will find that while importation of bagged cement is prohibited, importation of bulk cement and cement clinker is allowed. While import duty on packed tomato paste is 40% , duty on bulk tomato paste is 10%. In the same vein packed table salt has 70% duty while the bulk salt has very low duty.

If you must bring rice from Thailand to Nigeria then bring in the un-milled rice. Mill it and bag it in Nigeria. That way you will be working in line with government policy thrust and enjoy Lower duty on your import.

that is what many large scale importers are doing and you think they are not paying duty.

What you say is true. There is indeed lower duty on unmilled with unpacked rice. However I only gave information that I felt was relevant to the main topic. There is ofcourse alot more information and I could write an essay on it. That's not what I intend to do. However since you did bring it up, I can confirm this -:

-- From what I know is we had to register that rice with Nafdac which was a tedious and long process (upto six months to a year. (Anything that is eaten by the Nigerian population has to pass through Nafdac. There is absolutely no other way).
-- Milling and packing it in Nigeria was a huge undertaking beyond our financial capacity.
-- From what I know, Thai Parboiled rice is most consumed and well received rice by Nigerians. These parboiled rice has been milled here in Thailand. If that is the case, and these parboiled rice has not been milled in Nigeria, how can these rice escape the import tax? Unless ofcourse the lower tax duties only applies to unpacked rice of any kind including milled parboiled rice.
-- People may or may not pay import tax, I do not know. What I can confirm is that was what was told to us by port authorities.
-- I can confirm that I've talked to many Thai rice producers and exporters and they know the Nigeria market well. They say they always get orders of "containers" of 50kg packs (Largest packs of rice) unlabeled/labelled packed parboiled rice into Nigeria. So obviously, containers of packed rice is a very common practice in Nigeria. My business intuition will obviously ask how can they compete?
-- Yes, import duties are there to discouraged importation of rice and encourage local production. But Nigeria does not yet produce enough rice for the population. It would be great if all rice was produced in Nigeria itself.
-- Rice is like an important commodity and is already controlled by the Big Players.
-- I think if I recollect, import taxes are escaped in another way. But rice has to be imported into Benin. From there they haul it into Lagos. In fact, I recollect that many Thai exporters are exporting it to Benin and from Benin it enters Lagos.
-- I can also definitely confirm that most rice imported into Nigeria are milled rice, broken or parboiled. Very little is bulk unmilled import.

Issues which I cannot confirm is, if you want to import unpacked rice into Nigeria, (milled parboield or unmilled) you need to import it in a shipload which is obviously beyond our capacity. Another unconfirmed issue is the poor milling facilities in Nigeria. Nigeria does not have a proper milling facility yet.

Another point I did like to make is, in business you continue to learn new things everyday. Enjoy the process of business, share ideas, learn and grow.

My humblest regards,

Your Friend.

PS -- The link here will give some insights about what I mentioned above regarding unofficial rice trade from Benin to Nigeria.

http://www.oryza.com/news/rice-news/benin-benefits-nigeria%E2%80%99s-anti-import-policy-rice

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ogb5(m): 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2014
ThaiAlNigeria:

What you say is true. There is indeed lower duty on unmilled with unpacked rice. However I only gave information that I felt was relevant to the main topic. There is ofcourse alot more information and I could write an essay on it. That's not what I intend to do. However since you did bring it up, I can confirm this -:

-- From what I know is we had to register that rice with Nafdac which was a tedious and long process (upto six months to a year. (Anything that is eaten by the Nigerian population has to pass through Nafdac. There is absolutely no other way).
-- Milling and packing it in Nigeria was a huge undertaking beyond our financial capacity.
-- From what I know, Thai Parboiled rice is most consumed and well received rice by Nigerians. These parboiled rice has been milled here in Thailand. If that is the case, and these parboiled rice has not been milled in Nigeria, how can these rice escape the import tax? Unless ofcourse the lower tax duties only applies to unpacked rice of any kind including milled parboiled rice.
-- People may or may not pay import tax, I do not know. What I can confirm is that was what was told to us by port authorities.
-- I can confirm that I've talked to many Thai rice producers and exporters and they know the Nigeria market well. They say they always get orders of "containers" of 50kg packs (Largest packs of rice) unlabeled/labelled packed parboiled rice into Nigeria. So obviously, containers of packed rice is a very common practice in Nigeria. My business intuition will obviously ask how can they compete?
-- Yes, import duties are there to discouraged importation of rice and encourage local production. But Nigeria does not yet produce enough rice for the population. It would be great if all rice was produced in Nigeria itself.
-- Rice is like an important commodity and is already controlled by the Big Players.
-- I think if I recollect, import taxes are escaped in another way. But rice has to be imported into Benin. From there they haul it into Lagos. In fact, I recollect that many Thai exporters are exporting it to Benin and from Benin it enters Lagos.
-- I can also definitely confirm that most rice imported into Nigeria are milled rice, broken or parboiled. Very little is bulk unmilled import.

Issues which I cannot confirm is, if you want to import unpacked rice into Nigeria, (milled parboield or unmilled) you need to import it in a shipload which is obviously beyond our capacity. Another unconfirmed issue is the poor milling facilities in Nigeria. Nigeria does not have a proper milling facility yet.

Another point I did like to make is, in business you continue to learn new things everyday. Enjoy the process of business, share ideas, learn and grow.

My humblest regards,

Your Friend.

PS -- The link here will give some insights about what I mentioned above regarding unofficial rice trade from Benin to Nigeria.

http://www.oryza.com/news/rice-news/benin-benefits-nigeria%E2%80%99s-anti-import-policy-rice

You are right about the high level of informal trade (Smuggling) from Benin republic into Nigeria. But that route is not open to people like you and me who intends to stay on the right side of the law.

What I was trying to point out is that while there are many illegal means of bringing products into Nigeria at a profit, there are still some legal ways of bringing in same products and still make some profit.

for Nafdac registration for example, you can do global listing to bring in assorted goods while processing the the main nafdac registration.
Nafdac registration is one hell of a drainpipe for the would be importer.

I wanted to point out that you should have looked at government policy thrust before even thinking about importing rice into Nigeria. In summary, the policy of government is aimed at discouraging import of rice. So you should not have wasted your time studying about bringing in rice. You could have spent that time studying how to set up a rice mill in Nigeria for the processing of local rice. for that for example you will get 0% duty on your imported machines and with a good possibility of getting government backed loans in the future.

It is good that you were able to get a good business on thelong run, but in future look at government policy thrusts, it can save you valuable time.

1 Like

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by andico34: 8:26am On Aug 30, 2014
this is one of the best posts on the business section! it can serve as a manual and is highly recommended for prospective nigerian investors too who are aspiring to invest in other african countries and the world too! thanks a lot thaialnigeria for the insight!

3 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ThaiAlNigeria(m): 8:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
Greetings Nairalanders,

Looking forward to contribute more value about the Haulage business in Nigeria.

There is indeed alot of information about the haulage business which would be impossible to write it all down in one go. Haulage business is huge and there are quite a few sectors of Haulage.

I will do my best to go at it one by one.

Types of Haulage sectors

>>> TRUCKS THAT HAUL CONTAINERS <<<

-- Types of trucks normally used -- Flatbed trucks. 20 foot flatbeds or 40 foot flatbeds.
-- You get work from the port itself.
-- I'm not exactly sure how this type of Haulage works as we've not looked into it yet. But I know there are information about containers haulage in Nairaland.
-- How you get work for this type of haulage I do not know.
-- There is a post on Nairaland by uwish, I believe he deals more in this category of haulage.
-- cost of trailers will be similar to the ones of closed box trucks.
-- We expect the Return on Investments to be similar to that of factory hauling.

>>> TRUCKS THAT HAUL FOR FACTORIES (Which we're into) <<<

-- Types of trucks used -- There can be various trucks used for hauling finished goods for factories. The common types of trucks used are
1) Closed Box trucks -- 10 tons, 20 tons, 40 tons. - Used to haul any finished goods from Factories to clients of factories.
2) side curtain trucks -- these trucks are just a variation of closed box trucks but specially used to haul bottles for bottling companies.
3) various other trucks -- open or versatile trucks used to haul agricultural products, live stock, food products.

The only way you can work for factories is going under an Independent Transporters. Even if you have the money to buy 10 40 foot trucks, the factories don't know you and will not consider you unless you have proven yourself in some way or you have a brand.

There are three ways you can work for the Independent Transporter (IT).

a) You buy a truck for the IT or own a truck. Let the IT manage it for you for a fixed monthly payout. Basically the IT will manage drivers, fuel, maintenance and all other headaches associated with the managing of trucks for the lifespan of the trucks. The total capital invested is paid back in approximately 38-40 months total (27% - 30% every year). After which monthly fixed payouts continue until the lifespan of trucks. Which is safely to say is around 8 years to 10 years. This method of investment invites less scrutiny from the Jibs. As they are more likely to pay you if they don't feel threatened. There are good ITs there and they will deliver. But there are also equal amount of Jibs.

b) You buy or own a truck. But you just let it run under the IT name and make it work for the factory. In this option you have to manage the trucks entirely from drivers to everything else. The IT will simply take his 10% - 15% of the total revenue. The IT will pay you after the factories pays them. This method allows you to recoup your total investment within 18 months (if you make little to no mistakes) to 24 months (if you've made mistakes). But if and only if you know how to manage the trucks. The entire responsibility for management is on your head. It means that if anything goes wrong and you fail to deliver the goods, you will be blamed. This also puts the BRAND of the IT at risk as they have to keep a good standing with the factories. If you are unable to manage your trucks effectively, the IT will release you from working under him as his reputation is on the Line. If you expand too fast, you run the risk of IT playing games with you as I have mentioned in my previous post. The JIBS. You must really know how to play this game. If you don't, you will see your huge debts piling up. You need to manage receipts, accounts, taxes, registration of company, autoboy, drivers, repairs, buying of trucks, Lasma <---these funny people), Tracking, building relationships, inside business politics. Selecting this option requires you to be prepared for a real battle and lots of cash liquidity for snowy season. If you are a rookie, you're in for a challenge.

c) Debt funding -- This is similar to option A but with a slight difference and mainly geared towards the investor. Basically the investor buys the truck for the IT and lets the IT run it. The IT pays a fixed interest of around 27%-30% per year to the investor payable every month. At the end of 2nd year, after having given interest for 2 years, the IT gives back the capital the investor invested and the IT keeps the truck. Or the investor can renew their contract again for another 2 years.

My recommendation for new people trying to get into haulage is to start with option A(If you already own a truck) or option C (If you don't yet own a truck), watch and observe, learn slowly and then when you are ready about the art of haulage, then slowly get into option B and finally independence. You can always later sell your trucks if you did like if u do option B.

PS -- Please always do your DUE DILIGENCE AND LOTS OF ASKING AROUND before going under any IT.

ROI is and should be 27% - 30% every year or 2.50% every month.

>>> TRUCKS THAT HAULS SANDS, GRANITES, ETC. <<<

Types of trucks used -- Tipper or dump trucks.

-- Tipper and Dump trucks is quite straight forward.
-- You need to contact the quarry to start working for them.
-- The quarry also has similar system as the FACTORY system. But the good thing about quarry is, you have direct contact with quarry owners and managers (Or we just got lucky due to our brand). I think you can work directly with the managers or owners of quarry. But we cannot confirm this as we may have just gotten lucky due to our brand.
-- The Return on Investment is better than the ROI of factories hauling. But the amount of investment needed to buy a brand new Tipper is extremely high. 11 million Nairas at least. We recommend Sino Howo Brand.
-- It is extremely dangerous to buy a second hand tipper as tippers and dumps are highly mechanized than a normal truck. Buying a second hand tipper invites alot of unforseen repairs will kill your business and BRAND from what we've seen.

I personally like the Tipper business better. Issue is, its way more capital intensive than trucks. And things can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing.

The way to get into tipper trucks is similar to that I mentioned above in the factory section. To get into tipper business, you first need to know the basics of haulage business. Once you do, you can try to get into tipper business. Either try to get into via an Independent Transporter who manages for you or directly with Managers or owners and you manage it.

PS -- Unless you really know what you are doing, do not buy second hand tippers either from Nigeria or even worse from Abroad.
PS -- We have little experience in Tipper business as we are not yet in this business. But we know quite a bit already due to our contacts. And we definitely plan to get into it soon by this year end. Hence I cannot elaborate about the unforseen issues which will certainly arise and the ins and out of this business yet. When we do, I will further elaborate about this business by year end. We simply assume its better but we cannot verify it unless we've tried it.

ROI in TIPPER is around 45%-60% every year. 3.50%-5% every month.

These are the three basic Haulage categories that we know. There are certainly more, but that's all that we know for now. Maybe there is haulage for hauling people in minivans? We do not know about that yet.

In my next post I will try to write more about the hard facts or the process of the haulage business or about the cost of trucks and everything else included in buying a second hand truck.

My humblest regards,

Your Friend. bangkokce@hotmail.com

6 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 31, 2014
Excellent post. Thank you ThaiAlNigeria
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by ThaiAlNigeria(m): 4:53pm On Sep 02, 2014
Greetings Nairalanders,

(I have modified my previous message to update the ROI when investing or doing haulage business)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50% of the messages I get is about how to buy trucks.

I will share with you my TRUCK BUYING MEMO.

Here are the check list (Head part of truck)

1) Spring suspensions only
2) get 20 footers because there are more jobs for 20 footers (This could be debatable)
3) Must have double Axle
4) Must be TOKUNBO - GRADE A
5) Must have Tracking
6) The Year of Manufacture is very important. The year of manufacture is written boldly on engine block where you find Chassis number.
7) The Year of manufacture determines Prices of Trucks
cool Be wary of Injector
9) Be careful of Brake system
10) The HP should always be above 320.
11) Always get 2x100 Volts Battery
12) Block the Thermostat. Inquire about ThermoStat.
13) Buy left handed trucks

Models to buy

A) Mack and DAF ONLY. It is known by trucking experts that SCANIA are UNSUITED FOR NIGERIAN ROADS. (This was where we really messed up)
B) MAN is an alternative truck to consider.

MACK -:
A) R 685 st --- for Any R Models, don’t look beyond 1980s Model
B) CH 613 ---- For any CH Models do not look beyond 1999 Model

DAF -:
A) XP75 --- Unsure But not beyonf 1999
B) DAF 95 --- Unsure But not beyond 1999

TYRES

Option 1 and best option if we have enough money -- BridgeStone and/or Pirelli
Option 2 and only buy when lack of funds -- Ceat Tyres
STAY AWAY FROM DOUBLE STAR Tyres and other unbranded tyres.

FLAT BEDS AND TRAILERS or Box trailers (The carriage part of the truck)

1) Must be STRONG and HEAVY
2) Must be 30 Tonnes and above
3) Please note that a 30 Tonnes Flatbeds and Trailers cannot carry LOADS above 30 tonnes of goods. Whenever heavy loads are put onto trailers, there will be issues with the trucks and trailers and wheels. That is why it is always advisable to get Trailers and Flat Beds above 30 Tonnes. There are lots of 35 Tonnes, 45 Tonnes FlatBeds and Trailers. If its a 10 tons Truck, make sure the load is never above 10 tons.
4) How can we know the weight of goods loaded? Check the Bill of Lading and find out. The manufacturers will normally always fill the trucks to it fullest without considering weight issues. Failing to manage this area will create alot of issues for the trucks in the long run.

SERVICES AND MAINTENANCE

1) Trucks should be checked and maintained once a month every month by a trusted mechanic.

2) Inspection of the “hooks” on the Trailers are to be carried out on a regular basis.

3) Replacing battery every 3-4 months.

4) Service and grease your trucks every 5000-7000 miles

5) Have arrangements with reputed fuel stations. Be careful of diesel mix. A mixed diesel could cause a lot of trouble for the engine. Build trust with Fuel station.

GIT (Goods in Transit)

Prefer Leadway insurance over other company. Have good relationships with insurance people to get priority services.

Tipper buying advise -- Do not buy second hand tippers. I highly doubt they will be a good investment as Tippers are highly mechanized. You need a very very professional mechanic to check your second hand tipper. I would rather buy a 1st Hand Tipper. Brand we personally recommend is Sino Howo.

Hope this helps anyone trying to get into the Haulage business.

My humblest regards,

Your Friend

2 Likes

Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by israel7732: 6:57pm On Sep 02, 2014
ThaiAlNigeria:
11) Always get 2x100 Volts Battery
you mean 2 × 200 AH?
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Cypost: 10:54pm On Sep 03, 2014
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by koolg: 4:33am On Sep 05, 2014
Re: Foreigners Doing Business In Nigeria. Our Failures Dreadful Struggles & Success. by Nobody: 12:30pm On Sep 05, 2014
tizzle1932: www.karigonow.com - Taking haulage/transportation to the next level.

Gorgeous logo. Who did it?

Also, what a clever name! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

MTN To Exit Liberia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea-Conakry / Bishop T.D. Jakes Prays For Folorunso Alakija (Photos) / N8Bn Is Chicken Change To GTBank, Assets In Trillions - Yinka Ogunnubi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.