Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner (2650 Views)

Onyeka Onwenu Shuns Icpc’s Invitation To Explain N17m Bribe / ‎See The Words of Femi Gbajabiamila that Returned to Hunt Him / A Mini-bus Driver Returns N380,000 Cheque And N49 000 Cash To Owner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by koma1(m): 1:22am On Aug 24, 2014
Malam Yusuf Usman is a Nigerian citizen and a hotel worker in the capital city of Jigawa State, Dutse. He is 37 years of age and earns about N20,000 per month. But this man wowed hundreds of thousands of his compatriots by returning an iPad and N17m he had encountered.

Malam Yusuf Usman is a Nigerian citizen and a hotel worker in the capital city of Jigawa State, Dutse. He is 37 years of age and earns about N20,000 per month. But this man wowed hundreds of thousands of his compatriots by returning an iPad and N17m he had encountered.

Hotel-Worker-Malam-Yusuf-Usman-Jigawa

Hotel worker Malam-Yusuf-Usman is in newspapers. Photo: PulseNG

WeeklyTrust found the man who has chosen the pass of hard work and honesty and resisted the temptation.

A couple of weeks ago Usman came across belongings forgotten by one of the guests. An iPad, foreign currency and Naira notes totalling about N17m were discovered. The man explained his move by the fact that he was brought up not to covet other people’s property.

“I have been with Three-Star Hotel, Dutse, Jigawa State, for the past 15 years and I am currently their Reception Manager. What actually happened was that on that fateful day that I found the money, I was on my way from reception to see one of the housekeepers. I passed through the hotel garden where some of our guests usually relax.

“As I was going, I saw an iPad lying close to one of the flowers in the garden and there was nobody there. So I went and took the iPad so that I could take it to the reception and wait for the owner who may come for it later. When I looked at it closely, I saw some foreign currency and some wad of naira notes in the iPad jacket. I quickly took it to the management and I was asked to keep the money and the iPad in my safe at the reception. I did not count the money myself,” the man recounted.

Usman received a call three days later. A staff of Jigawa College of Health Technology, Jahun, told the receptionist that one of the former guests was looking for his iPad containing some money. However, the person could not remember whether it was in the hotel he had lost his belongings or not.

The reception manager immediately confirmed that it was in the hotel and he had found it.

Usman further said that the people from Jahun were extremely happy upon hearing that and when they came to pick up the money.

“They thanked me and the management of the hotel. The Jigawa College of Health Technology wrote a commendation letter to me. It was there they stated that the money was over $100,000 because the jacket also had local currency in it,” the man noted.

Governor Sule Lamido was informed about the situation and praised the noble deed of the hotel worker. The management of the hotel issued a commendation letter to Usman.

“As you can see I am not financially comfortable but that is not the point. What is not yours is not yours. There are three reasons why I will never take somebody’s property.

“One, stealing is against the teaching of Islam and I was strictly brought up according to Islamic teaching.

“Secondly, my father has always warned me never to tamper with what is not mine because it can bring destruction in my life and thirdly, it is the tradition of our hotel not to hide whatever item we found,” the reception manager explained.

He noted that there is a special store at the hotel for forgotten items, with some of the belongings being there for 10 years.

“I don’t see what I did as a big deal. I am just doing my duty.

“I don’t believe that running away with somebody’s money will make me wealthy. Wealth belongs to Allah and if Allah destined me to be wealthy it will come to pass.

“My wife is so proud of me that her respect for me has doubled,” the man of honour said.

Usman further advised the youths to remain honest and hard-working. He added that everything in life is not about money and that “integrity, good name and honesty are qualities that will bring their own reward at the right time.”

18 Likes

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by Kajiang02(m): 1:42am On Aug 24, 2014
True Nigerian indeed

4 Likes

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by scribble: 1:53am On Aug 24, 2014
How very ironic as the Governor of his state Sule Lamido is one of the biggest thieves the EFCC has looked into this dispensation.

If only men like these were governors.

7 Likes

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by publicenemy(m): 2:19am On Aug 24, 2014
koma1:
“I have been with Three-Star Hotel, Dutse, Jigawa State, for the past 15 years and I am currently their Reception Manager”

Na there you go die put....

3 Likes

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by tiswell(m): 2:52am On Aug 24, 2014
The ipad and the #17million would have become a blessing in disguise to some other person.You never can tell,the lord works in mysterious ways.I just hope dis singular act of honesty will change this dude's life,if not...

4 Likes

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by spicy244(f): 6:11am On Aug 24, 2014
[quote author=tiswell]The ipad and the #17million would have become a blessing in disguise to some other person.You never can tell,the lord works in mysterious ways.I just hope dis singular act of honesty will change this dude's life,if not...

My dear, I hope it will cos it happened in Naija, he shouldn't expect more than wot they av given him but as for God he will reward him

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by stinggy(m): 6:33am On Aug 24, 2014
such a new Nigerian. If only our politicians can be this honest too
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by pleep(m): 6:46am On Aug 24, 2014
Rofl. Man returns an electronic gadget and you guys act like its the second comming of christ.
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by egift(m): 6:49am On Aug 24, 2014
Glad to know we still have good men. He has done us all very proud.

2 Likes

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by egift(m): 6:54am On Aug 24, 2014
pleep: Rofl. Man returns an electronic gadget and you guys act like its the second comming of christ.

Hope you did not skip that he also returned N17million along. Remember he earn only 20k per month that means what he returned was his salary for 850 months (70 years salary).

6 Likes

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by Oklander: 7:01am On Aug 24, 2014
“One, stealing is against the teaching of Islam and I was strictly brought up according to Islamic teaching.
Yo what's up nairaland bigots, how una see this part of the tory na ?

4 Likes

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 24, 2014
SMFDH

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by pleep(m): 7:06am On Aug 24, 2014
egift:

Hope you did not skip that he also returned N17 along. Remember he earn only 20k per month that means what he returned was his salary for 850 months (70 years salary).
oooooh ok
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by Oklander: 7:26am On Aug 24, 2014
had it been the report said, Malam Yusuf Usman stole the ipad and 17milla, this thread would have been hijacked by bunch of hypocritical brainless Islamophobic phools on nairaland, brainlessly piling the blame and insult on Islam and other Muslims. Seeing this is not the case but in fact the opposite, they will hypocritically ignore his name and the teachings of the religion he said he is following. All what they want to hear about Islam and Muslim is negative news, it incite and gives them high 0rgasmic feelings perhaps!!!

13 Likes

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by Brahms(m): 7:35am On Aug 24, 2014
berem: SMFDH

wink
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 24, 2014
He's a rare being,we need more of him in this nation to move ahead.

I have also done something like this before,I returned a lost #50 naira note to his owner.
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by rattlesnake(m): 8:31am On Aug 24, 2014
Good

Let him return with poverty and austerity with peace of mind
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by kheart(m): 8:44am On Aug 24, 2014
wow happy to know we still have dis rare gem in naija.

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by doofanc: 8:53am On Aug 24, 2014
kudos to the man. . .

But wait ooo, what on earth would a man be doing with $100,000 (N17m) cash in a three star hotel?? shocked shocked shocked

I hope the money was not to do some things. . . . lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by doofanc: 8:57am On Aug 24, 2014
All the more suspicious that the owner took money to garden to 'relax'

I expect the security agencies to invite ask the man some questions
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by 9ijaprince(m): 8:58am On Aug 24, 2014
I don't believe this
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by scribble: 9:49am On Aug 24, 2014
doofanc: All the more suspicious that the owner took money to garden to 'relax'

I expect the security agencies to invite ask the man some questions

he was obviously there with a runs girl in hijab
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by idupaul: 10:19am On Aug 24, 2014
scribble: How very ironic as the Governor of his state Sule Lamido is one of the biggest thieves the EFCC has looked into this dispensation.

If only men like these were governors.

And yet the thieving Governor commended the lowly 20k worker for not being a thief .Very funny I am sure in his privacy the governor will mock the guy.

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by obyrich(m): 10:40am On Aug 24, 2014
Proceeds of terrorist financing. What kind of man carries 17 million naira cash about in Nigeria? Attention should be drawn to the owner of the money.

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 24, 2014
koma1: Malam Yusuf Usman is a Nigerian citizen and a hotel worker in the capital city of Jigawa State, Dutse. He is 37 years of age and earns about N20,000 per month. But this man wowed hundreds of thousands of his compatriots by returning an iPad and N17m he had encountered.

Hotel-Worker-Malam-Yusuf-Usman-Jigawa

Hotel worker Malam-Yusuf-Usman is in newspapers. Photo: PulseNG

WeeklyTrust found the man who has chosen the pass of hard work and honesty and resisted the temptation.

A couple of weeks ago Usman came across belongings forgotten by one of the guests. An iPad, foreign currency and Naira notes totalling about N17m were discovered. The man explained his move by the fact that he was brought up not to covet other people’s property.

“I have been with Three-Star Hotel, Dutse, Jigawa State, for the past 15 years and I am currently their Reception Manager. What actually happened was that on that fateful day that I found the money, I was on my way from reception to see one of the housekeepers. I passed through the hotel garden where some of our guests usually relax.

“As I was going, I saw an iPad lying close to one of the flowers in the garden and there was nobody there. So I went and took the iPad so that I could take it to the reception and wait for the owner who may come for it later. When I looked at it closely, I saw some foreign currency and some wad of naira notes in the iPad jacket. I quickly took it to the management and I was asked to keep the money and the iPad in my safe at the reception. I did not count the money myself,” the man recounted.

Usman received a call three days later. A staff of Jigawa College of Health Technology, Jahun, told the receptionist that one of the former guests was looking for his iPad containing some money. However, the person could not remember whether it was in the hotel he had lost his belongings or not.

The reception manager immediately confirmed that it was in the hotel and he had found it.

Usman further said that the people from Jahun were extremely happy upon hearing that and when they came to pick up the money.

“They thanked me and the management of the hotel. The Jigawa College of Health Technology wrote a commendation letter to me. It was there they stated that the money was over $100,000 because the jacket also had local currency in it,” the man noted.

Governor Sule Lamido was informed about the situation and praised the noble deed of the hotel worker. The management of the hotel issued a commendation letter to Usman.

“As you can see I am not financially comfortable but that is not the point. What is not yours is not yours. There are three reasons why I will never take somebody’s property.

“Secondly, my father has always warned me never to tamper with what is not mine because it can bring destruction in my life and thirdly, it is the tradition of our hotel not to hide whatever item we found,” the reception manager explained.

He noted that there is a special store at the hotel for forgotten items, with some of the belongings being there for 10 years.

“I don’t see what I did as a big deal. I am just doing my duty.

“I don’t believe that running away with somebody’s money will make me wealthy. Wealth belongs to Allah and if Allah destined me to be wealthy it will come to pass.

“My wife is so proud of me that her respect for me has doubled,” the man of honour said.

Usman further advised the youths to remain honest and hard-working. He added that everything in life is not about money and that “integrity, good name and honesty are qualities that will bring their own reward at the right time.”
Word!!
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 11:31am On Aug 24, 2014
Nigeria good people great nation

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by jmoore(m): 12:08pm On Aug 24, 2014
He's a good Nigerian like me.
Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by mujiboy(m): 12:32pm On Aug 24, 2014
The man should be rewarded with a political post...

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by ChuckVentures(m): 12:38pm On Aug 24, 2014
A good name will always be worth more than a thousand shekels of gold.

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by Ochoiho: 1:54pm On Aug 24, 2014
[quote author=Oklander]had it been the report said, Malam Yusuf Usman stole the ipad and 17milla, this thread would have been hijacked by bunch of hypocritical brainless Islamophobic phools on nairaland, brainlessly piling the blame and insult on Islam and other Muslims. Seeing this is not the case but in fact the opposite, they will hypocritically ignore his name and the teachings of the religion he said he is following. All what they want to hear about Islam and Muslim is negative news, it incite . Does that change the fact that islam breeds terorism? it depends on the verse of the koran that is inspiring the behaviour. you might not know the gd work that the likes of shaekau have done that is hidden. i wil say kudos to the young man but i hope he does not read the part of the koran that inspire him to bomb people for Allah and hv his 72 virgins as reward.

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 24, 2014
He deserves a national award.

1 Like

Re: Jigawa Hotel Worker Returned Ipad, N17m To Owner by RockMaxi: 2:26pm On Aug 24, 2014
chimoz: He deserves a national award.

He deserves more than that, #20,000 is nothing as a salary probably a better job with good pay that will never make him to say had I known.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

NIGERIA: A Nation Of Fools / Gen. Buhari (rtd.) Speaks On Fuel Subsidy Removal / Please Be Careful Of What You Post On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.