Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people (23437 Views)

Handsomeness Of Middlebelt-nigerian Men / Beauty Of Middlebelt Nigerian Women / Middlebelt Zone-Nupes,Idomas,Igalas,Ebiras,Tivs,Kabbas,Biroms,Fulani,Katafs etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 8:55pm On Aug 24, 2014
The middlebelt people of Nigeria are the most ethnically diverse people and the region is the most diverse. And as they say, beauty comes with diversity. Only that unfortunately most times the unique identity of middlebelt people is usally supressed by hausa fulani since they are sometimes grouped as Northernerns with the wrong name 'North central'.

But this thread here is a free one for all middlebelt ppl (northern minorities) to show case their beautiful culture to the world.
So whether u are Igala or Ebira from Kogi, Berom or Ngas from Plateau, Jukun or Mumuye from Taraba, Tiv or Idoma from Benue, Nupe or Gbagyi from Niger state, Atyap or Bajju from southern Kaduna, Eggon or Alago from Nasarawa e.t.c, here is the place to display your culture....as long as u are not Hausa fulani or kanuri from the Core north....
So let's go!!!

4 Likes

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 8:58pm On Aug 24, 2014
I begin from the largest tribe of the Middlebelt who are the Tivs.
These are the SWANGE DANCERS. one of the best group of dancers in Nigeria!!

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 9:08pm On Aug 24, 2014
Igede girls from Benue in their traditional attire

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by tobtap: 9:37pm On Aug 24, 2014
what about the yorubas in kwara and kogi states...just saying....good thread
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by deeobserver209(m): 9:49pm On Aug 24, 2014
Middle Belt got some of the best dancers in Nigeria. smiley

1 Like

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 10:00pm On Aug 24, 2014
Ham Dodo dance from Jaba, Southern Kaduna

1 Like

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 10:15pm On Aug 24, 2014
Nupe women from Bida, Niger state.

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 10:19pm On Aug 24, 2014
tobtap: what about the yorubas in kwara and kogi states...just saying....good thread

Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi are politically part of the Middlebelt because they found themselves in the north central, but culturally and by history, the yorubas in kwara and Kogi are not part of the Middlebelt.
The Middlebelt is just for central/northern minority groups.

1 Like

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by tobtap: 10:23pm On Aug 24, 2014
Nowenuse:

Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi are politically part of the Middlebelt because they found themselves in the north central, but culturally and by history, the yorubas in kwara and Kogi are not part of the Middlebelt.
The Middlebelt is just for central/northern minority groups.
Guess u are right though. ...
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 10:35pm On Aug 24, 2014
Dancers from Nasarawa state

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 11:07pm On Aug 24, 2014
Egbirra man and woman in traditional attire, Kogi state.

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 11:40pm On Aug 24, 2014
Ngas girls from Pankshin, Plateau state in traditional attire

2 Likes

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 25, 2014
A seemingly nice thread. #av always wondered what southern kadunas were. Carry on @op

1 Like

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 2:10pm On Aug 25, 2014
A proud Idoma woman from Benue.

2 Likes

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2014
The traditional ruler of the Largest city of the middlebelt- THE GBON GWOM JOS. - HRH Da Jacob Buba Gyang.

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 12:04am On Aug 26, 2014
Eggon girls from Nasarawa state

1 Like

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 1:09am On Aug 27, 2014
deeobserver209: Middle Belt got some of the best dancers in Nigeria. smiley

U can say that again.
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 7:15pm On Sep 02, 2014
Danrizzle: A seemingly nice thread. #av always wondered what southern kadunas were. Carry on @op

Southern Kadunas are a collection of dozens of minority ethnic groups with very diverse cultures and languages! And they constitute roughly half the population of Kaduna state and they are mostly christians!
The only thing is that they all speak Hausa as a fluent second languages just as many other middlebelters do and this has overtime also affected their own native dialects.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by drealzum(m): 7:16pm On Sep 04, 2014
Wonderful! Not all middle beltans speak hausa. Uptil this day,my grand ma does not know what is zo(come) in hausa. The only language she speaks and undastand is ngas.

2 Likes

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 8:50pm On Sep 05, 2014
drealzum: Wonderful! Not all middle beltans speak hausa. Uptil this day,my grand ma does not know what is zo(come) in hausa. The only language she speaks and undastand is ngas.

Yes u are r right my broda....not all middlebelters speak hausa. just dat many do.
only those in Benue, kogi, kwara and southern parts of Niger do not speak hausa in their majority. But d majority of those in plateau, Nasarawa, southern kaduna, Taraba do speak hausa (but still not entirely all of them).
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by macof(m): 6:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
Can anyone list all the ethnic groups in the middle belt. I am trying to compile a list.
Btw aren't Igede people more or less Idoma, I mean being that in language classification igede is Idomoid.

I feel it's pointless taking them as separate ethnic groups. middle belt should come together and organize their tribes into appropriate groups

2 Likes

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by karfe(m): 12:48pm On Sep 18, 2014
macof: Can anyone list all the ethnic groups in the middle belt. I am trying to compile a list.
Btw aren't Igede people more or less Idoma, I mean being that in language classification igede is Idomoid.

I feel it's pointless taking them as separate ethnic groups. middle belt should come together and organize their tribes into appropriate groups

You are quite correct

There are so many ethnic groups in the MB, especially in the upper parts. It is easier to just consider the areas that are none of Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri in the far north. However, note that due to migration, the HFK enclaves can also be found in the MB areas. Most of the MB groups are not known to other Nigerians, including those in areas considered part of the MB

The first step would be a universal identification and recognition of the MB area

Personally, I identify the MB as follows:
Ethnic Groups: Tiv, Nupe, Igala, Idoma, Ebira, Gbagyi
Area Groups: Adamawa, Taraba, Plateau, Nasarawa, Southern Kaduna, Kainji
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by macof(m): 9:05pm On Sep 18, 2014
karfe:

You are quite correct

There are so many ethnic groups in the MB, especially in the upper parts. It is easier to just consider the areas that are none of Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri in the far north. However, note that due to migration, the HFK enclaves can also be found in the MB areas. Most of the MB groups are not known to other Nigerians, including those in areas considered part of the MB

The first step would be a universal identification and recognition of the MB area

Personally, I identify the MB as follows:
Ethnic Groups: Tiv, Nupe, Igala, Idoma, Ebira, Gbagyi
Area Groups: Adamawa, Taraba, Plateau, Nasarawa, Southern Kaduna, Kainji

thank you. I believe we should also include Jukun to ur list.
all descendants of the old kwararafa kingdom are found in Middle belt/North central, as such they aren't so different.
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 3:26pm On Sep 25, 2014
macof: Can anyone list all the ethnic groups in the middle belt. I am trying to compile a list.

An exhaustive list of Middlebelt tribes will just be very difficult to compile....but i think some googling on it will help u.
in my state Plateau alone we have not less than 50 distinct ethnic groups....not to talk of places like Southern Kaduna with about 55, Taraba with about 64, Nassarawa with about 30 e.t.c....it will really take much time to do that..
But let me at least give u some from my own Plateau state which am very conversent with to help u in your compilation. In plateau we have....

Tarok
Mwaghavul
Goemai
Ngas
Berom
Pyem
Afizere
Ron-Kulere
Kofyar (Kwagallak, Myernyang, Jipal and Doemak)
Mupun
Miship
Kadung
Anaguta
Rukuba
Irigwe
Mushere
Kadung
Mundat
Tal
Bogghom
Jhar
Lemoro
Kurama
Fyer
Aten
Yuom
Jukun Kona
Yangkam
Tambes
Chokobo
Anafejanji
Buji
Duguza
Jere
Pyapung

i think this is where i can stop....there are others
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by macof(m): 4:54pm On Sep 25, 2014
Nowenuse:

An exhaustive list of Middlebelt tribes will just be very difficult to compile....but i think some googling on it will help u.
in my state Plateau alone we have not less than 50 distinct ethnic groups....not to talk of places like Southern Kaduna with about 55, Taraba with about 64, Nassarawa with about 30 e.t.c....it will really take much time to do that..
But let me at least give u some from my own Plateau state which am very conversent with to help u in your compilation. In plateau we have....

Tarok
Mwaghavul
Goemai
Ngas
Berom
Pyem
Afizere
Ron-Kulere
Kofyar (Kwagallak, Myernyang, Jipal and Doemak)
Mupun
Miship
Kadung
Anaguta
Rukuba
Irigwe
Mushere
Kadung
Mundat
Tal
Bogghom
Jhar
Lemoro
Kurama
Fyer
Aten
Yuom
Jukun Kona
Yangkam
Tambes
Chokobo
Anafejanji
Buji
Duguza
Jere
Pyapung

i think this is where i can stop....there are others

Wow! Pls how culturally assimilated are these tribes(or ethnic groups)??
How close do they see themselves? how much cultural affiliation exists between them?

reasons for these questions is because I believe Nigerian politics creates this sort of breech between some tribes of the same ethnicity driving them to considered themselves different ethnic groups

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nobody: 8:25pm On Sep 25, 2014
Nowenuse: Egbirra man and woman in traditional attire, Kogi state.

Oh pls! Its Ebira ;If you are referring the ones in kogi central.
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 12:23pm On Sep 26, 2014
Igala girl from Kogi state

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 2:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
macof:

Wow! Pls how culturally assimilated are these tribes(or ethnic groups)??
How close do they see themselves? how much cultural affiliation exists between them?

reasons for these questions is because I believe Nigerian politics creates this sort of breech between some tribes of the same ethnicity driving them to considered themselves different ethnic groups

Well, as to what i can tell u about the ethnic groups i listed in Plateau state above......i can tell u that no 2 of those ethnic groups u see have the same language....instead almost all d ethnic groups have their own distinct dialects amongst them.
However, some of these groups are related with each other and can understand each other's languages to an extent, but i dont think any of these groups can understand each other's dialects up to 50% except for probably the Mupun- Mwaghavul- Mushere and probably the Buji -jere.
The mupun, mwaghavul and mushere i believe may be able to understand each other's dialects probably up to 40-70%, likewise the Buji and Jere......the Lemoro and kurama i cant really say how much they may understand each other's languages, but i know they are very much linguistically related.
Culturally many of us share some aspectsof tradition amd culture probably due to common origins or longtime being neighbours. But we have all been classified different from each other right from time.
U can see the numb 9 tribe on the list the Kofyar or Pan people as they are called.....they are divided into 4 subgroups, and each of these subgroups sometimes claim a distinct identity, but in the real sense they are one ppl and that is why u see i classified all of them (the Kwagallak or kwolla, Myernyang, Jipal and Doemak) as one ppl and not seperately.

1 Like

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
If you want to find out which tribes come under the same ethnic group, see the language they speak and the Gods they worship.

1 Like

Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by macof(m): 2:38am On Sep 27, 2014
Nowenuse:

Well, as to what i can tell u about the ethnic groups i listed in Plateau state above......i can tell u that no 2 of those ethnic groups u see have the same language....instead almost all d ethnic groups have their own distinct dialects amongst them.
However, some of these groups are related with each other and can understand each other's languages to an extent, but i dont think any of these groups can understand each other's dialects up to 50% except for probably the Mupun- Mwaghavul- Mushere and probably the Buji -jere.
The mupun, mwaghavul and mushere i believe may be able to understand each other's dialects probably up to 40-70%, likewise the Buji and Jere......the Lemoro and kurama i cant really say how much they may understand each other's languages, but i know they are very much linguistically related.
Culturally many of us share some aspectsof tradition amd culture probably due to common origins or longtime being neighbours. But we have all been classified different from each other right from time.
U can see the numb 9 tribe on the list the Kofyar or Pan people as they are called.....they are divided into 4 subgroups, and each of these subgroups sometimes claim a distinct identity, but in the real sense they are one ppl and that is why u see i classified all of them (the Kwagallak or kwolla, Myernyang, Jipal and Doemak) as one ppl and not seperately.
Thank you.

If this is the case, I was right to state that many tribes and sub-tribes are going around referring to themselves as ethnic group
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by macof(m): 2:43am On Sep 27, 2014
PAGAN9JA: If you want to find out which tribes come under the same ethnic group, see the language they speak and the Gods they worship.

Apa , Jukun come under the same ethnicity for example.

True, language and spirituality is one strong binding factor

I believe if these separate tribes with such unrealized/forgotten bonds in Nigeria could come together under one name, it would be best for them
Re: Culture Zone of the Middlebelt people by Nowenuse: 7:23am On Sep 27, 2014
A Tarok girl from Plateau state.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag) / Aguleri Ofala Festival 2021: Pictures & Video / Markets Shut Down In Abeokuta In Honour Of A Late King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.