Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,859 members, 7,820,998 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas (27342 Views)

Lets build an LPG/Cooking Gas Plant for you / Cbn’s Directive On Use Of Foreign Currency, A Confusing Signal / Ban On Use Of CBN's Dollars By Oil Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by emiye(m): 3:39pm On Aug 27, 2014
MOBBDEEP: I still don't get why people opine guess as facts!
Seeing a lot of people on this thread claiming gas is cheaper economically at the price of 2800 for 12.5KG cylinder really got my eyes popping wide.
Simply because it's completely false.
Yes, gas is faster, more convenient, obviously ecologically friendlier, does not blacken pots with soots and comes with this 'touchéness'.

But cheaper!?, that is a blatant lie.
Let me illustrate it well.
I do a light cooking once a day early in the morning plus a heavy cooking once a month usually a Saturday.
Initially, I bought 15 litres of Kerosene at 120 Naira/Litre = 1800.
I used this for 4months.
Then I purchased these two 12.5Kg which I filled at Aba (Abia State) at 3200 per 12.5Kg cylinder.
Each cylinder lasted an average of 18 weeks i.e 4.5 months.

Equivalency of the gas to the kerosene head-head is ~700 Naira/month for the gas as against 450 Naira/month of Kerosene.
It might appear to be a small difference.
But for a large family size; with increased/ higher frequency of cooking and with modest income/means, the cost implication becomes huge astronomically especially over a given length of time.

So, in truth & reality, the price of gas needs to come down a bit from that high clime of 2800 per 12.5Kg Cylinder for us to start comparing it as being better than Kerosene in cost-effectiveness.

But, like I said initially, there are so many advantages of gas that you might find invaluable & difficult to even put cost/value on.

If i should extrapolate your analysis, you are saying roughly 16.5 litres of kerosene will do the same amount of work as a gas filled 12.5kg cylinder..

I find it difficult to agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by Tex42(m): 8:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
information mattres

the common man should not only be encouraged to use cooking gas,but should also be taught how to use the said cooking gas to avoid xplosion and ensure safety of users.
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by AbuuUthaymeen(m): 9:47pm On Aug 27, 2014
Where can a person get a detailed information on how to procure one of this their new "Eko gas scheme cylinder" ,information that includes places it is been sold and different weights of cylinders available.
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by erico2k2(m): 2:36pm On Aug 28, 2014
In all the cooking gas outweigh the kerosene in all shape and form, the only hard part is for the cooker itself,If you add the stress you go through plus the insult sometimes fight and rain plus abuse you go through in other to buy kerosene, and put them into naira and kobo, you will agree that Gas is more economical than Kerosene,Im talking to you lot who are bent on the fact that kerosene is cheaper than gas.
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by msmon(m): 3:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
erico2k2: In all the cooking gas outweigh the kerosene in all shape and form, the only hard part is for the cooker itself,If you add the stress you go through plus the insult sometimes fight and rain plus abuse you go through in other to buy kerosene, and put them into naira and kobo, you will agree that Gas is more economical than Kerosene,Im talking to you lot who are bent on the fact that kerosene is cheaper than gas.

And that's the reason it's imperative to do a properly orient the populace about it's usage.
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by millhouse: 5:36pm On Aug 28, 2014
o-gas! o-yes! o
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by erico2k2(m): 10:29pm On Aug 28, 2014
msmon:

And that's the reason it's imperative to do a properly orient the populace about it's usage.
My Exact point,Bravo
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by msmon(m): 5:11am On Aug 29, 2014
AbuuUthaymeen: Where can a person get a detailed information on how to procure one of this their new "Eko gas scheme cylinder" ,information that includes places it is been sold and different weights of cylinders available.

I tried to find out but I hopefully think someone on this thread will help us with the details you need.
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by laudate: 3:17am On Aug 31, 2014
free2ryhme:

U guys keep missing the point anyone can sell kerosene but not gas. We are talking about accessibility here. I can get kerosene to buy at wee hours becos iya sikira will be willing to sell but BCT gas can only sell during working hours

You can also get to refill your gas cylinder from Chike, Ibrahim, Madu or Mukaila who sells cylinders by the roadside. wink His container shop is open till late. Just ensure that you carry your regulator gauge along, to ensure you are not being short-changed. Alternatively, refill your cylinders at the nearest Oando or Total Petrol station nearest to you! grin
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by free2ryhme: 5:16am On Aug 31, 2014
laudate:

You can also get to refill your gas cylinder from Chike, Ibrahim, Madu or Mukaila who sells cylinders by the roadside. wink His container shop is open till late. Just ensure that you carry your regulator gauge along, to ensure you are not being short-changed. Alternatively, refill your cylinders at the nearest Oando or Total Petrol station nearest to you! grin

How many Oando and total filling stattion open till 8pm in ajegunle
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by laudate: 11:58pm On Aug 31, 2014
free2ryhme:

How many Oando and total filling stattion open till 8pm in ajegunle

Bros, if Oando and Total are closed by 8pm, try Chike the gas refiller's shop at Boundary. He is always open till 11pm! wink
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by nickxtra(m): 2:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
laudate:

Please check the following:

(1) Do you refill your cylinder from an accredited gas plant, petrol station or from the roadside? If you refill from the roadside, you may be cheated by those roadside retailers, as they often 'under-fill' the cylinders with a much lower quantity, than what is required. If you do not have a gauge to check the contents or refill level, or do not use a scale to weigh the cylinder before & after you refill, you may have been short-changed by your retailer. The result is that the gas cylinder refill, will not last as long it should, in your household. sad

(2) Is your gas cylinder valve leaking or damaged? This could cause the gas to escape in small quantities over a period of time, and such losses mean that the quantity of gas left in the cylinder, would not be enough to meet your needs over a period of time. Check your valves and make sure it does not leak. If it does, take it to a competent gas plant to be fixed, or buy a new cylinder.

(3) Are your burners emitting soot or have they been burning slowly and inefficiently? Please service your gas cooker regularly to ensure it performs optimally and the holes remain unblocked by oil or sediments from your cooking pot. That way, you would use less gas and your cylinder refill, would last much longer.

(4) Finally, get a good portable fire extinguisher, keep it in your kitchen and learn how to use it in case of an emergency! wink

Really educative and I think will really help. Thanks
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by nickxtra(m): 2:27pm On Sep 01, 2014
mekula:

My broda I wonder o. Mine doesnt last more than 3weeks. It is used to cook in the morning and then warm food for afternoon and night mostly and it still never stays up to a month. Besides LASG should be selling cheaper than they do now. I buy 2600 from private plants and 2800 from road side refillers. I expect the govt to sell at the most 2500. Just my opinion though.
Yours is relatively cheaper over there. Here is Abuja, we fill a 12.5 kg cylinder for 3,500 naira from accredited gas dealers.

1 Like

Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by nickxtra(m): 2:28pm On Sep 01, 2014
mekula:

My broda I wonder o. Mine doesnt last more than 3weeks. It is used to cook in the morning and then warm food for afternoon and night mostly and it still never stays up to a month. Besides LASG should be selling cheaper than they do now. I buy 2600 from private plants and 2800 from road side refillers. I expect the govt to sell at the most 2500. Just my opinion though.
Yours is relatively cheaper over there. Here in Abuja, we fill a 12.5 kg cylinder for 3,500 naira from accredited gas dealers.

1 Like

Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 15, 2014
MOBBDEEP: I still don't get why people opine guess as facts!
Seeing a lot of people on this thread claiming gas is cheaper economically at the price of 2800 for 12.5KG cylinder really got my eyes popping wide.
Yes, gas is faster, more convenient, obviously ecologically friendlier, does not blacken pots with soots and comes with this 'touchéness'.

I do a light cooking once a day early in the morning plus a heavy cooking once a month usually a Saturday.
I used this for 4months.
Then I purchased these two 12.5Kg which I filled at Aba (Abia State) at 3200 per 12.5Kg cylinder.

Equivalency of the gas to the kerosene head-head is ~700 Naira/month for the gas as against 450 Naira/month of Kerosene.
But for a large family size; with increased/ higher frequency of cooking and with modest income/means, the cost implication becomes huge astronomically especially over a given length of time.

So, in truth & reality, the price of gas needs to come down a bit from that high clime of 2800 per 12.5Kg Cylinder for us to start comparing it as being better than Kerosene in cost-effectiveness.

But, like I said initially, there are so many advantages of gas that you might find invaluable & difficult to even put cost/value on.
my brother you can lie o. Firstly I knew you are a liar when you said you bought two 12.5kg cylinder and you are single and cook once a day. Even a family of 6 use jus one of such. So you bought 2 at once and used for 10 months. Now even the devil will be like haba! Whatever you think or say itz so vivid you are lying. It is proven that a litre of kerosene is equivalent to 0.39kg of gas. So please look for another hobby because lying is obviously not one!
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by eckersley: 3:06pm On Dec 09, 2014
Obiagelli:

sis 12.5kg is equivalent of about 50 litres of kerosene and that about 7,500 naira.
Btw there are smaller cylinders.

Some studies have indicated that the usage of one litre of kerosene equates to 0.39kg LPG

1L Kerosene= 0.39KG of cooking gas
32 Litres of Kerosene will be = 12.5KG of cooking gas
http://zayyaddp..com/2013/07/between-kerosene-and-cooking-gas.html

You overestimated. Also state ur reference
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by eckersley: 3:21pm On Dec 09, 2014
MOBBDEEP:
I still don't get why people opine guess as facts!

I used this for 4months.

eckersley:

[color=#000099]Some studies have indicated that the usage of one litre of kerosene equates to 0.39kg LPG

So if 12.5Kg of LPG[cooking gas] = N3,200
And 32 Litres of kerosene = 12.5kg of gas
32Litres of kerosene at N120/Litre = N3,840

So cooking gas is still cheaper.

2nd. When we discuss cost, it's not only direct or financial price

OTHER COSTS INCURRED WHEN USING KEROSENE
1. Longer time for food to get cooked [See explanation below]
2. Scouring powder for soot covered cooking utensils
3. Frequent repainting of the kitchen and adjoining rooms
4. The time taken to perform the tasks in number 1, 2 and 3
5. Hospital bills as a result of soot inhaled
6. Accidents from children drinking kerosene stored in soda bottle or gallon
7. Incalculable damage to the earth's ecosystem.

The rapidity with which meals are cooked when using cooking gas compared with kerosene is because
Liquefied Petroleum Gas has a calorific (or heating) value in the magnitude of 50.35 MJ/kg,
a value of over 4 MJ/kg of energy more than what kerosene[46 MJ/kg] provides.
This seemingly inconsequential difference in heating value between both fuels
is however enough to make LPG using moms use the cliché “food is almost ready”
three times less than their kerosene using neighbors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by Nobody: 3:53pm On Dec 09, 2014
eckersley:

Some studies have indicated that the usage of one litre of kerosene equates to 0.39kg LPG

Personal experience.
Re: Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas by eckersley: 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2014
Obiagelli:

Personal experience.
Do u mean by usage?
If yes, then that will be highly subjective.
You don't cook exactly the same amount/type of food week in week out
And you might cook 2 cups of rice 10 mins today but cook that same
amt 12 mins tomorrow.

My personal xprnc
When I used to cook wt a stove, I would use 1L of kerosene for 2weeks,
Then I was single.
But I might have a friend come around and stay 3 days.
My kerosene usage automatically shot up

2nd, I hardly cooked then cos I didn't hv d time to wait for the SLOW kerosene
The wait was mentally tormenting

WELCOME TO THE GAS DAYS
I tend to cook more often now cos its faster.

No reluctance to light it up like a stove and wait for the flames to turn blue
before commencing cooking.
No need to even carry lighter.
Kpa, e don 'auto-catchfire'

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sinoma Is Constructing A Cement Plant In Kogi (Photos) / Inside Kwara Community, Ijara-isin, Where Residents Have Own ‘currency’ / Azikel Refinery To Commence Operations In 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.