Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,982 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (46479 Views)

Pictures From The Top 3 New Federal Universities / A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / Can I Get A Job Or Do A Masters Programme With Third Class In Industrial Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 27, 2014
I was at UI's Post Jamb screening in 2007. Although i wasn't invited for the screening, i still went. The screening was relatively unusual as the Jambites were given series of different Challenging mathematical questions to solve offhand. They were asked to solve Simultaneous equations in their Head, Who does that?
Need i say, Some came out Shaking, some even Cried.
Did i mention that they came with their extravagant WAEC RESULTS, the least Result i saw that day had 5A's.
Myself and my twin just had fun as we watched with dismay. We could easily do those question. I repeat, EASILY.
But we were crippled because of our Not so good Waec result. Not that the result were not good, they just didn't fit into the UI kind of .....

What am i driving at? Most of the students you see now a days with Extraordinary WAEC results are scam... And this scam is what gets them to the Best school in the country!

But of-course, i stand to be corrected!

7 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 27, 2014
taiwolusol: You have very Tangible point there, only committed the crime of generalizing. We have seen students the came through the back door emerge the best graduating student.
To answer your question, Life isn't mathematics where 1+1 is always 2. People change and so do their Intellectual abilities!

this gat me thinking
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by youngelder(m): 11:47am On Aug 27, 2014
Guy.. Private universities even produce 3rd class. Bt nonetheless.. Lukin at our society, is ur certificates a tru proof of your intellect? Rememba Soyinka who was a failure here bt now a prof ??
Dont judge pple.. Some 3rd class can compete very well wit first class students in external exams

4 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by oluwaKStar(m): 11:53am On Aug 27, 2014
rioemmanuel:
I saw a post of yours where you said you are 14 and wants to study aeronautic engineering.Currently,I dont think unilag offers that course,i might be wrong thou.
For any engineering course in unilag you must have further mathematics in your o'level,have above 200 in jamb and perform extremely well in your postjamb.
Note:you must be 16 years before enrolling.
well, am fvcked....
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by oluwaKStar(m): 11:58am On Aug 27, 2014
rioemmanuel:
I saw a post of yours where you said you are 14 and wants to study aeronautic engineering.Currently,I dont think unilag offers that course,i might be wrong thou.
For any engineering course in unilag you must have further mathematics in your o'level,have above 200 in jamb and perform extremely well in your postjamb.
Note:you must be 16 years before enrolling.
a lot of d skuls am considering have dis annoying age limits...I don't understand why.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
oluwaKStar: a lot of d skuls am considering have dis annoying age limits...I don't understand why.

How did u make it that fast? U must have skipped several classes.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by oluwaKStar(m): 12:11pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

How did u make it that fast? U must have skipped several classes.
I skipped onli pry 5 but did pry 6...strange
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Blockus: 1:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING: If u've heard of or experienced the several rigorous tests and screening students of federal varsities have passed through before been offered admission, u'll only but agree with me that it's just the best brains in Nigeria that attends federal schs.

Unilag for example have the policy of admitting candidates who generally merit there admission irrespective of the number. Even thier supplimentary list is always choked up with students who have high score but could not still merit the requirementss. Very good examples of such requirements as it affects all engineering candidates/aspirants of the sch is the possession of at least a credit pass in F-maths at O/level, having a minimum of distinction frm a polytechnic before been quailfied for direct entry among others. After all these, some of their students still graduate will third class and pass.

OAU is another sch where where students who merit their admission can sit at home and expect their names in the first admission list of the sch, same applies in U.I and other federal schs.

Apology to the students of the state unis but this does nt happen in state unis, scoring high and meriting admission requirements cant be totally used as a yardstick for admission, just a phone call frm a prominent member of the society will secure one admission. So if they make 3rd class, we can't really blame anyone for it.

After beating all these requirements to be offered admission into the federal university, why do some students still make as low as 2.2, 3rd class and pass from their schools with all the tests they have passed showing their academic prowess

Share your view.

Because if you browse Nairaland, you can find someone to get you 7 Credit in Waec and even write JAMB for you.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by o2k(m): 1:20pm On Aug 27, 2014
'90 percent of statistics are made up right on the spot'
OP pls if you can quote facts and figures from a research to buttress your point then you have a case because i'm sure that you didnt attend both fedral and state university

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by ayusco85(m): 1:21pm On Aug 27, 2014
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by bigv(m): 1:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
Great Ife is not moi moi. A trial will confuse you. grin

4 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by WoodcrestMayor(m): 1:26pm On Aug 27, 2014
Better by fargrin
ednut1: post jamb jamb and waec are not what they teach in uni , forget the so called Merit lots of man know man occurs, there are many factors eg lecturer sadism, student joining cults or becoming club boys, stress, lack of funds etc . and it is a very wrong assertion that private uni students are dull, big lie . i have a friend with 2.1 in economics from *covenant* she blasted ican without failing while there were first class accounting students in unilorin ican was giving slaps grin
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by godfreyakpoguma(m): 1:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
I DONT REALLY AGREE ENTIRELY WIT THE OP, BUT ONE THING IS FOR SURE FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES ARE THE BEST IN NIGERIA EVEN WITH D MEAGRE FEES THEY PAY AND PAINS STUEDENTS PASS THRU.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by heatmeup(f): 1:35pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

source pls It's nt that i dont believe u, i'll just like to read d full details myself, something must be wrong somewhr. BTW, what's the name of the uni? See, if a 2.86 could beat OAU's best student in any test, he can definately beat the best student of his own sch too in such test. Tell me what i dont knw abt the test.
oga leave that thing when i was in unad chemistry competition was taken infact it was in oau ife and unad beat oau hands down not to talk of other schools 2;2 does not determine the brains

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by arshavineering(m): 1:36pm On Aug 27, 2014
oluwaKStar: Hey pls..am in ss3...can somebody educate me on how to get to unilag...I mean like d process? How many exams will I write? D content of dis exams? And d minimum scores dat are accepted? ..pls I will be glad if u enlighten mee

you are in ss3 abi?? Go read your books, leave NL alone

4 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

source pls It's nt that i dont believe u, i'll just like to read d full details myself, something must be wrong somewhr. BTW, what's the name of the uni? See, if a 2.86 could beat OAU's best student in any test, he can definately beat the best student of his own sch too in such test. Tell me what i dont knw abt the test.

the name of the University is Lautech. And yes, i'm certain he'll beat most of his departments elites in the said test, but his CGPA isn't the best criteria to base this assumption on.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 27, 2014
arshavineering:

thats harsh naw... if you lecturar gives u such answer , how will u feel??

@ oluwaKStar, i really admire seeing young lads preparing for the future challenges ahead.... pls keep it up,... just read hard...

3 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by heatmeup(f): 1:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
youngelder: Guy.. Private universities even produce 3rd class. Bt nonetheless.. Lukin at our society, is ur certificates a tru proof of your intellect? Rememba Soyinka who was a failure here bt now a prof ??
Dont judge pple.. Some 3rd class can compete very well wit first class students in external exams
yes o my very close friend once told me her story the professor that supervised her project in school took her time to narrate her ordeal to her.she graduated with a 3rd class degree,she went for her post graduate and today she became the 1st female professor in that department so whether the grade or not if you are outstanding you are .make una leave them dem never comot for school

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Olamyyde(m): 1:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Olamyyde(m): 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
2.2 in a federal school is equivalent to a 1st class in a private university

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by olami100(m): 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
I just felt bad with some people mentality! I want to ask what has been the impact of those student who graduated wif 2.1 or ist class frm a federal uni to the development of dis country?
What has been the impact of our lecturers or professors in the federal university to the development of dis country?
Or they want to tell me they are not best brains in the state university or private uni! Keep decieving uself!
At the end both of dem later ended up in d labour market searching for job!!
For me ALL OUR FEDERAL, STATE, and PRIVATE university have failed us! Take it or leave it!

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
adeoladrg: Op you're very wrong!

I was a unilag diploma student some years back. Diploma cutoff for pharmacy was 116. I scored 120. A girl who scored 95 got her admission letter before me. I was shocked! I later learnt the VC had his own list, registrar had her own, even the Oba of Lagos had his own, so it depends on who you know.. People who didn't even know these people found some other ways to 'leg' their ways through..

My brother, except you want to deceive urself, it's a normal Nigerian syndrome.

@OmolodMilkman93 Thanks bro.. My diary is down. I'll open a new one soon.
the dude is a kid fed from childhood till he got where he is... he hasn't really experience hash realities of life. I used to think like him until my mum died.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by olagockay(m): 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2014
oluwaKStar: Hey pls..am in ss3...can somebody educate me on how to get to unilag...I mean like d process? How many exams will I write? D content of dis exams? And d minimum scores dat are accepted? ..pls I will be glad if u enlighten mee
U're kidding ryt?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by heatmeup(f): 1:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
arshavineering:

this is why nigeria education system is bad you ask your lecturer a question the next thing he thinks is that you are challenging his intelligience

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by ghostwritter(m): 1:47pm On Aug 27, 2014
I emerged d best of students in my faculty....not because I was academically brilliant but because I was sooo smart.
THE BETTER BY FAR!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by LadyH(f): 1:47pm On Aug 27, 2014
concentrated: Going to d university doesn't mean all u do der is just read and write. It's an all round development. Before graduation u ave to pass tru series of test wic include seminars defence ,practical work etc. U might be good in reading and writing and not bee confident of wat u know. Some xternal forces also affect grade, more also over confidence. U getting high score before admission does not guarantee u first class or 2 one.
OP, this guy said it all.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Orikinla(m): 1:48pm On Aug 27, 2014
A graduate with First Class at LASU may not be as brilliant as the graduate with 2.2 at UI or OAU in the same course.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by adeoladrg(m): 1:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
2sExy1: the dude is a kid fed from childhood till he got where he is... he hasn't really experience hash realities of life. I used to think like him until my mum died.

Someone attacked ur blog, so you had to attack me?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Olamyyde(m): 1:52pm On Aug 27, 2014
MisterLongman: There is this popular notion that lecturers fail their because they don't want them to reach their level... That's why you hear in some schools that a department has never produced a first class or even 2nd class upper student and the department is proud of the status quo..... I don't know if its true or not tho
very true....many lectures in federal universities are sadists

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Adex097: 1:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
Success in any Federal University depends on how consistent you are plus God's grace or "LUCK"... We're talking about 4,5,6 or even 7 years journey here. You can't compare the effort one applies during the years in Uni to an ordinary entrance exam (jamb/p-jamb). So many factors come into play here, some students get depressed emotionally/psychologically along the line some gat financial/Family probs etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by thelastgenius: 1:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
Olamyyde: 2.2 in a federal school is equivalent to a 1st clasd in a private university
. Mr man.....On what premise is your assumption based??....Please refrain from silly assumptions you can't prove.

8 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:
so are u saying something special is happening in the federal unis nt happening in the state'? And what's the 'white house OAU' abt?[/color]
Univeristy differs from Sec school which also differs from Polytechnic !!

Also, some students relax after gaining admission or immaturity by some students via attaching more time to extra-curricular activities in the name of Aluta than their academic studies which is their primary business !!

And when u failed in the beginning , you shall pay for it where u pass !! ... That is Higher Institution !

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 18 Interesting Pictures From The Past You’ve Probably Not Seen Before / Covenant Polytechnic Student Dies In Accident After Graduation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.